Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 13. Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

 

Christmas had come to town. David had requested Christmas Eve off so he could accompany Robert to his parent’s house for dinner. For once, he was part of a family’s tradition. He dressed extra nicely for the occasion. Black pants were paired with a lime green shirt that nearly matched his eyes. He slicked back his hair a bit to keep it out of his face. Robert came home from the store and saw his boyfriend preening in the bathroom mirror.

 

“Well, don’t we look handsome?”

 

David grinned and kissed Robert. “I’m not the only one. Love that shade of blue; it goes with your incredible eyes.”

 

Robert smiled and kissed David again. He ran his hands down his back and caressed the covered body. “Mmm, part of me wants to wait a little while to leave.”

 

David chuckled. “I wonder what part that is.” They kissed again and held on tightly. David ran his fingers through Robert’s hair. It’d grown longer and was about halfway down his neck again. “Your hair is looking so cool. I hadn’t seen it long before. Are you gonna keep the beard with it?”

 

Robert shook his head. “Nah. It’s already starting to catch in it. I think soon we’ll be saying bye-bye to the beard.”

 

David ran his fingers over it. “Well, as long as it’s still here, I might as well play with it.” Robert smiled. His pink, full lips shone brightly under the dark hair. David cupped his lover’s chin in his hands and kissed him deeply.

 

“I love you, Rob.”

 

“I love you too, David.” He glanced at his watch quickly. “Dammit, we need to get going. Mustn’t miss family tradition time at the Marshalls.”

 

David chuckled. “Is it always such an event?” Robert shrugged.

 

“Mostly. Last year wasn’t so happy, I came alone, even though everyone knew what was going on in my ridiculous personal life at the time.”

 

“I know what you mean. I’d just met Andy at that time. I didn’t know quite what to do for the holidays. I just usually celebrated with my brother and his family.”

 

“Hey, they’re a great fallback. Luke makes it fun; watching a little kid at Christmas makes me happy.”

“Oh yes, they are. Daniel’s kids are a riot. I loved seeing them Christmas day.”

 

“What time are we due there tomorrow?”

 

“Oh, about eleven. Daniel said it’ll be like walking into the aftermath of a twister.”

 

Both men laughed.

 

“Good times ahead for both of us, I just know it, David.” They kissed again.

 

“I hope this is the first of many Christmases together, us together.”

 

Robert nodded. “I hope so too. I know it will be. Come on, we’ll be late.”

 

“Let’s book.”

 

They hopped into the car and took off for the Marshall house.

 

 

Mr. and Mrs. Marshall greeted their guests with a long embrace. “Come in, gentlemen. Welcome to the holiday house,” Mark said with a warm smile. Robert saw Serena in the corner. She looked very lovely, as usual. Her long, auburn hair was in spiral curls that fell just to her waistline. Her outfit of green velour was perfect for the occasion. He held out his arms and she filled them.

 

“Hey, sweetie! How’s everything? Feeling better?”

 

Robert nodded. “We talked it all through. I’m gonna do what I said. David’s going, too.”

 

Serena grinned and looked up at David. She held out her arm and hugged him too. “You’re the best, David. I’m so glad Rob found you!” The two hugged.

 

“Thanks, Serena. He’s the best thing that’s ever happened in my life, for sure.”

 

They separated and Robert walked off to greet his little brother. David touched Serena’s arm for a moment. “Hey, when you have a moment, I need to talk with you.”

 

“Uh oh,” She whispered. “What’s up?”

 

David smiled. “I wanna get your spin on timing. I wanna ask Robert to be promised to me, tonight.”

 

Serena smiled widely and hugged him enthusiastically. “For real? That is so cool! I know my parents would love it, and Rob would just go ape! Go for it, dude!”

 

“Really? I’m in really tight with your family now?”

 

Serena nodded. “We love you to death. We know how much you love Robert and we see how well you treat him. You’re totally made for each other.”

 

David grinned again. “Whew! That’s a load off my mind. Maybe after dessert?”

 

“Hmm, before. That’ll give us something else to celebrate.”

 

“Deal.”

 

“Better get over there before Luke runs after ya. You know how he is.”

 

“Oh, that I do. Thanks, Serena.”

 

“Anytime, future brother-in-law,” she whispered. David smiled widely.

 

They sat down to dinner at the rectangular, mahogany table. It accommodated all six well, with little Luke being tucked in-between his mother and sister on his own big-boy chair. The table had a white lace tablecloth with red and green round placemats. At the center was a floral centerpiece with two crimson candles ablaze. Below it was winter foliage arranged in a circle at its base.

 

At each table setting was a water goblet, a coffee cup and saucer, and a bread plate. Below it sat the dinner plate, with a dessert plate atop that, and from left to right sat a myriad of forks, knives and spoons. The dinnerware was cream-colored with a brilliant cornucopia pattern along the edge. The table was covered with delectable dishes that ranged from the main attraction itself, the all-trimmings-included ham, to the green bean casserole, to mashed sweet potatoes.

 

Robert raised a glass to his mother. “Mom, this dinner looks awesome, as always!” Robert exclaimed.

 

“Dig in, my dear. I made enough for an army!”

 

Everyone began to eat and there was a symphony of ‘yum’ and ‘mmm’ heard round the table.

 

David nodded in agreement. “Beats the hospital food hands down. Even their so-called gourmet café.”

Mark swallowed down a slice of ham and spoke up. “How’s it going working there again?”

 

David shrugged. “It’s lively some nights, that’s for sure. Sometimes I don’t get a break for hours, but I’m usually helping to save someone’s life too. That naturally makes it worth it.”

 

“I’d think it would. Tell me—do you miss the night office at the therapy place?”

 

“Sometimes. I did have solitude, for sure. I needed it at the time.” David looked over at Robert and winked at him. “Luckily I don’t now.”

 

Mark smiled when he saw how happy his son looked. “Well, I’m very glad to hear that. Cassie, how long do you wanna wait until dessert?”

 

“Oh, a half hour? Give everyone time to digest a bit.”

 

“Sounds good. David, I wanna show you something.” Mark got up and left the table. David followed curiously. They ended up back in Mark’s office.

 

“David, I just wanted to thank you for being there for my son. I know this hasn’t been easy at all, but ever since he’s known you, things have gotten a lot better.”

 

David let out a sigh of relief. “Your son makes it easy. He’s a terrific guy and he’s helped me a lot, too. I picture him in my life always.”

 

Mark cocked his head. “Oh? Planning on proposing so soon?”

 

David felt his face flush. “Not quite propose yet, but I hope to get promised.”

 

Mark rubbed his bearded chin. “Not to pry, but isn’t that what you….”

 

“Yes sir. I was promised to Andy, but trust me, he never wanted to. Robert would. I know. That would make it all worth the effort this time. I’m deeply in love with him and I know he is with me too.”

 

“Have you two talked about this at all?”

 

“Not too much. I wanted it to be a surprise. I tried to measure one of his rings to get the right size. They only come in certain sizes.”

 

Mark clapped his hand on David’s shoulder. “Are you thinking of doing this tonight?”

David nodded. “In a few minutes, actually, but I’m glad you wanted to talk to me. I wanted to ask your permission.”

 

Mark raised a brow. “My permission?”

 

“Yes sir. I want to ask for Robert’s hand, for future marriage.”

 

Mark laughed aloud. “David, don’t you take the cake! What a respectful young man you are! I like that about you. You’re a good person and Robert’s done far worse, as well you know. I happily endorse your pre-engagement, promise, whatever you’re doing.”

 

David smiled and his eyes lit up. “Really? Thank you, sir!”

 

“David, after tonight, you can call me Mark. Okay?”

 

“Thank you, sir!” They shook hands. “Can we get the family together? I’d like to do it now.”

 

“Absolutely! Let’s get the troops rounded up.”

 

Mark walked out and called everyone to the living room. Robert had been outside with Serena. They all congregated in the room. David was thankful Robert had a small family. It was only the six of them total.

 

“What’s going on, Dad?” Serena asked coyly.

 

“You’ll see in a few moments, my dear. Have a seat.”

 

Everyone sat down. David reached in his pocket and pulled out a small ring. He grasped Robert’s right hand kissed it. “Robert, I know we’ve only been together a short time, but you have made such an incredible difference in my life. I love you more than I’ve ever loved anyone else. Will you take this promise ring as a promise of marriage later on?”

 

Robert caught his breath and looked into David’s emerald eyes. He smiled widely when he looked around the room and saw everyone else smiling. At last, David slipped the ring onto his right ring finger and Robert held up his hand for them to see.

 

“Absolutely, yes! I love you so much, David!” The couple hugged and kissed a few times.

 

Serena ran up and hugged them both. “This is so awesome! Congrats, guys!”

 

Mark walked by and clapped David’s shoulder. “See, now what’d I tell ya? Welcome to the family, son.”

 

David grinned widely. “Thank you, sir, er, I mean, Mark.”

Robert raised a brow in surprise. “Wow, he never lets anybody call him by his first name. You must be in.”

 

Cassie hugged them both. “I’m so happy you found someone, Robby! I love you both so much!”

 

“Thanks, Mom!”

 

“Well, this truly calls for a celebration. Let’s all go into the dining room for dessert.”

 

David licked his lips. “Great with me. I was so nervous during dinner I didn’t eat as much as I could’ve. Now, I’ll dig into that pumpkin pie for sure.”

 

Robert laughed. “How long had you been planning this?”

 

“About the past ten days. I knew in my heart you’d say yes, it was just fun asking in front of your family.”

 

Robert held up his hand and inspected the ring closely. It was a small ruby in a heart-shaped cut. “This ring is beautiful. How’d you know what size I wore?”

 

“I found your class ring and measured it. I didn’t think it’d changed too much.”

“You’re so smart. I’m so lucky to have you. I definitely promise to marry you.”

 

David grinned and kissed Robert once more. “I love you too. Let’s go celebrate.”

 

Robert caught his arm. “We will, just not here.” A lustful look passed between the two. They were mid-kiss when Cassie called them into the dining room again.

 

“Come on, you two. You can have more dessert at home later. Time to celebrate with us.” The two men chuckled. They joined hands and walked into the dining room together.

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awwwww such a sweet chapter. :wub: Now when they go to the wedding of 'those people' they'll be secure in their feelings and 'those people' will see that they've both really moved on.

Link to comment
On 12/22/2014 06:07 AM, LadyDe said:
Awwwww such a sweet chapter. :wub: Now when they go to the wedding of 'those people' they'll be secure in their feelings and 'those people' will see that they've both really moved on.
Thank you! Yes, they really need to let that shine through that they are a committed couple :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..