Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 18. Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

 

Summer arrived in all its glory. Unfortunately, it was a very hot season. Most of the days were predicted to be in the nineties. David and Robert were anxious about inviting their exes over to their house, but they did it anyway.

 

The first visit was tenuous at best. The three visitors arrived at two o’clock on a Saturday.

 

Andrea was dolled up in a pink swimsuit covered up by a denim skirt and paired with pink sandals. “Hi guys!” she said loudly. She waved to them. Andrew set her down and she ran up to David and hugged him.

 

David kissed her forehead and played with her blond hair. “Well, don’t you look all ready for the beach?”

 

Andrea smiled and nodded. “Yup! Let’s get that water going!” She grabbed David’s hand and ran him out to the patio. The other men laughed as they saw 6’3” David had been taken over by the 4-foot little girl.

 

Robert turned to his guests and smiled at them. “So, you guys heading out too?”

 

“Well, I am.” Andrew had his swim trunks too; he always did enjoy the water.

 

Robert nodded and glanced over at Phillip. “Are you gonna run through the sprinkler too or jump into the wading pool?”

 

Phillip shook his head. “No, not today. I think I’ll just stay inside.”

 

Robert frowned. “Not feeling well?”

 

“No, it’s not that. Just don’t feel like it today.”

 

Robert shrugged. “Fine, that’s cool. I’m not either, but I’ll hang outside for a little while. Hopefully we can just talk or something.”

 

Phillip and Andrew shot each other a worried glance. Robert noticed.

 

“What, what is it? Did I say something wrong?”

 

“No, it’s just very weird being here again for us,” Phillip explained.

 

“Especially me,” Andrew added.

 

Robert frowned. “Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all. It’s too much drama too soon.”

Andrew shook his head and approached his host. “It’s okay, really. It’s weird as hell being here since I’m the one that left, but I’m here for my daughter. She’s a huge part of our world and whatever she wants, I usually try to get it for her. I don’t think this hurts her in any way. It’s just hanging out with friends.”

 

Robert brightened. “Really? You guys consider us friends?” Phillip and Andrew glanced at each other again and smiled.

 

“Of course we do!” Andrew said cheerfully. “Rob, we’ve been through so much dramatic crap. Isn’t it time to just let it all go and move on like regular guys?”

 

Robert nodded. “I totally agree. This has dragged on long enough and too painfully. It’s time to heal all the wounds between us.”

 

Phillip nodded. “Yes it is. I gotta confess, I didn’t think we’d be here long given the history with everyone, but next time I definitely will bring my trunks.”

 

Robert smiled at his ex. “I’m glad to hear that. Though, next time, it’s at your place, since you have a pool!”

 

Phillip grinned. “I think that could be arranged. Just let us know when’s a good time for you.”

 

“We will, thanks.” There was a stilted silence between the three for a moment.

 

David re-entered the room from the patio. “Damn, it’s hot out there! I don’t know how that kid keeps running around so long.”

 

Andrew laughed. “She’ll conk out on the way home, trust me. I love your windows. I can see her from here.”

 

David noticed the somewhat serious tone in the room. “What’s going on, guys? Did I miss something?”

 

Robert approached his fiancé and kissed him lightly. “We’re invited over to their house. When we can schedule it.”

 

David looked up and smiled, especially at Andrew. “Really? That’s great! We’d loved to come over, guys. Time to put all this shit behind us. We’re happy, you’re happy, no more hard feelings or whatever. We’re cool at last.”

 

Andrew smiled at Phillip and walked over to his ex. “I’m glad to hear you guys say that. I was kinda stressing about it.”

 

“Don’t stress yourself anymore. We’re all good. In fact….” David looked down at Robert and caught his gaze. “We’d like to invite you guys to our wedding.”

Andrew gasped and shot a look back at Phillip. “Are you sure? Ours was no picnic for you guys.”

 

Robert shrugged. “We’re over that. It’d be great if you guys could make it. It’ll be nice weather out, or should be in September.”

 

Phillip piped up. “Why September?”

 

“Oh, that’s the anniversary of our first date. One year together.” Robert and David looked at each other lovingly and blew each other a kiss.

 

Andrew rolled his eyes. “Oh geez! You guys are all lovey-dovey! That’s freakin awesome! I’m very happy for you both!” Andrew spontaneously hugged Robert and lightly hugged David too. Phillip repeated; he held onto Robert a few seconds longer. Their mates realized there was some pretty heavy history there, so they left the room. David tapped his fiancé’s arm and announced, “We’ll be outside.”

 

Andrew and David left to go supervise Andrea on the patio.

 

Phillip took Robert’s hand and looked at the engagement ring. “This is so much prettier than the one I gave you.”

 

Robert shook his head, unable to take his eyes off of his ex. “No, the one you gave me was beautiful in its own way.”

 

Phillip looked over his ex’s appearance and smoothed his hand over his jaw. “No more beard, and you grew your hair out again. Lookin’ good.”

 

Robert smiled shyly. “You noticed this time. I’m impressed.”

 

“Well, I’m not distracted by a fiancé who’d just been attacked this time.”

 

“Yeah, about that. I realized afterwards I was being too needy. Sorry about that.”

 

“It’s cool. So, hey, are you really happy with this guy? He treats you well?”

 

Robert smiled. “Yes, he does. I’m glad you care about my well-being.”

 

Phillip smoothed Robert’s shoulder. “I’ll always care about you, Rob. No matter what.”

 

Robert’s eyes teared up for a moment. He pulled Phillip to him and hugged him warmly. “I’ll always care about you too. I think I’ll always love you as my friend, despite our past. Being at your wedding was hard, but it was the first time too.”

 

“I’ll always love you as a friend too. I was surprised you showed up to the first wedding.”

 

Robert scanned Phillip’s face. “I had to. I couldn’t let you go and marry him. I wanted to stop the wedding. When Andrea was introduced and you guys came back and you announced you were her new stepdaddy, I lost it!”

 

Phillip cupped his friend’s chin and titled his face up. “Rob… why didn’t you tell me?”

 

A few tears escaped the sapphire eyes. “I couldn’t. I wanted you, I finally got what I wanted, but it wasn’t right for either of us. I could tell you weren’t ever mine. Even in bed.” Robert took a large swig of beer and shut his eyes.

 

Phillip took him in a bear hug. They finally let their angst out and held on tight and cried a bit. “I’m so sorry I stole that from you. It was all my fault it didn’t work out again.”

 

Robert held on tight. “Not to get all dramatic, but all I wanted was to be in your arms and feel you inside me. It’s all I asked for.”

 

“At least I could do that for you once.” Phillip pulled his face back and kissed Rob’s head. “I am so sorry for all of that. You know now why it happened.”

 

“Just tell me one thing. Is it better this time? Are things real between you two?”

 

Phillip nodded. “Everything is wonderful. We worked out our problems and are happier than ever. My parents have been terrific. Though, we’re building our own place. Getting a bit crowded now that my brother Aidan is home and my sister Anna is going to the doctor next week!”

 

“That’s awesome! You two will make a beautiful child and he or she will be so loved. I wish you guys all the best. I just needed to clear the air with us too. You knew as soon as you walked in here.”

 

“Yeah, I pretty much predicted that. I’m glad we had a chance to talk.”

 

“Me too. It’s been hard as hell, but I think I’ll be just fine. I’m well taken care of with David by my side.”

 

Phillip lightly kissed his friend’s head. “I’m glad to know that. I couldn’t do it, my mind had only one way about it.”

 

“I know it did. This ain’t easy for any of us, but we’re doing well. Hey, did I tell ya? Ran into Cleve!”

 

Phillip’s eyes grew wide. “Cleve? Holy cow I thought he ran back across the pond.”

 

“Oh he did, where a few months later he met his new fiancé, Connor.”

 

“Is he nice?”

 

Robert grinned. “Uh, he’s alright. Very cocky, extremely handsome, very egocentric. Oh, plus he has the added benefit of being David’s ex!”

 

Phillip took a step back. “Get outta here! Are you serious?”

 

Robert nodded and laughed. “Small damn world isn’t it?”

 

“I’ll say! Well, what happened? Was it all drama like it was with us?”

 

“No, not too bad. Cleve and I sorted things out on how abruptly we ended. I assume David and Connor did the same. We’re good now, we invited them too.”

 

“To the ceremony?”

 

“Yup!”

 

“Wow, you boys really do like having that trip down memory lane, huh?”

 

Robert laughed and nearly choked on his beer. “Hey, what the hell, huh? Keeps life interesting. You want another beer?”

 

“No, I’m good for now. Maybe later.”

 

“Sounds good. Hey, if you guys wanna stay, we can grill some hot dogs or something.”

 

“Hmm, I’ll go ask Andy what he wants to do. It all depends on little Andrea.”

 

“Always. Life is never dull with a kid.”

 

“Never, but it’s a lot better than it was before.” Phillip walked over and looked out the patio door. He looked over his shoulder and caught Robert’s gaze. “I’m glad we’re pals. I really am. Guys usually have to have a fist fight to make up. I’m relieved we didn’t have to.”

 

Robert scanned Phillip’s strong physique. “Me too, I think you’d mop the floor with me!” Both men burst out laughing.

 

Phillip clapped his friend’s shoulder. “I’ll be right back, buddy.”

 

“Okay, pal.”

 

 

Andrew and David were both in the sprinkler with Andrea. She squealed as loudly as she could every time the cool water hit her. Andrew ran after her and picked her up so they’d get drenched. David caught up to them and made faces at Andrea. She grinned her wide little smile right back and made goofy faces at him.

 

Andrew rolled his eyes. “Arrgh! You two are crazy! My crazy little girl, yes you are! Yes you are! Your face is getting beet red, time for more sunscreen.” Andrew picked up his daughter and carried her over to the chaise lounge. David sat down and helped contain the wriggly little girl. “Sit still or it’ll get in your eyes. Don’t mess up those pretty little eyes.” David grinned. He was enjoying this.

 

Andrew saw his reaction. “Bring back any memories?”

 

David nodded. “A lot of them. This patio, this house. You being here. Even little Andrea. It’s all very nostalgic.”

 

“I know what you mean. I find myself thinking of stuff that happened here a lot.”

 

Andrea squirmed a bit when the spray-on sunscreen was applied. “Cold! Are you done, Daddy?”

 

“Yes, but you have to let it soak in first. Give it five minutes, ok?”

 

Andrea’s eyes grew wide and she pouted. “Five minutes? That’s forever!”

 

Andrew sighed and cupped his child’s face. “That’s not forever, it’s five minutes. Go run inside and get Papa Phillip, ok?”

 

“Okay, Daddy.” She ran off into the house.

 

Andrew shook his head and ran his fingers through his wet hair. He sat back and lay down on the chaise. He let out a long sigh. “Arrgh, that kid! She drives me nuts sometimes. Everything is a negotiation. What color dress? Why this dress? Why should I eat this for dinner and not cake?”

 

David laughed aloud and clapped his hand on Andrew’s shoulder. “Ah, the wide, wonderful world of parenting. I stayed out of it when you guys were here before—I had no clue.”

 

“I had no clue. It was all thrown at me at my first wedding. Boom! You have a daughter, holy crap! Phillip was very good to let her move in, but things fell apart so quickly.”

 

“I remember when you told me, the night we met.”

 

Andrew tossed his hair over to the side and looked David over carefully.

 

“Gawd, I sure screwed things up in a hurry. All things being equal, we never should’ve met.”

 

David nodded. “I know what you mean. You were a model, I was a therapist. It just happened that we were both there that night. I’d seen hundreds of men, but something about you stuck out.”

 

“My dramatic home life?”

 

“Yeah, I think that was it. You were hurting and I was there.”

 

Andrew’s lip quivered. He grasped David’s hand. “I know the shit hit the fan, but I’m really glad you were there. I’d messed up my entire life at that point. You were an out. Then I messed up your life by going back.” Both men bowed their heads.

 

“Look, Andy, if we’re gonna get past this, we have to just let it go. I’m happy with Robert! We’re getting married in three months and I can’t wait! Yes, it was painful as hell when you left, but you weren’t ever meant to be here with me. You belong with Phillip. Only him.”

 

Andrew nodded. “You’re right. I finally learned how to be a dad and a husband and a son-in-law all at once. It was hard as hell, but I did it.”

 

“I bet it wasn’t easy.”

 

Andrew chuckled. “I had to learn, or else. I never ever thought I’d be a parent, but Fate intervened.”

 

“Do you love it?”

 

Andrew nodded. “It’s the best job ever. I love her more than I ever knew I could love anyone. I want the world for her!”

 

David smiled and rubbed his friend’s shoulder. “I know what you mean. My brother’s like that too. He loves his kids to pieces.”

 

“How is Daniel?”

 

“He’s good. Busy, but good. I’m real glad you came here, I mean, especially after….” The two smiled at each other and touched hands briefly.

 

“I’m glad I am too. I didn’t know if I could ever set foot in this house again after what I did.”

 

David looked over and brushed Andrew’s tan arm. “You didn’t do the worst thing to me that’s ever been done.”

 

Andrew raised a brow. “What do you mean? Who did worse?”

 

“My ex, Connor. Leaving me when you’re promised is one thing, quite another to leave me at the altar with a room full of people waiting to see us married.”

 

Andrew covered his mouth in surprise. “That’s right! You told me about that. David….”

 

“No, no, it’s alright now. I ran into Connor a little while back actually.”

 

“Get out, you didn’t!”

 

“Yes I did. Both of us did. Robert saw his ex, Cleve too.”

 

“Holy shit! What did you do?”

 

“Well, after the staring contest broke up, we decided to try to salvage what we could, explain why we did the things we did, and move on. It had kinda a familiar ring to it.” Andrew caught David’s glance for a moment. The green eyes misted over briefly.

 

Andrew sat up and grasped his friend’s hand. “I’m sorry, for everything. What I did was inexcusable! I’m just so glad you don’t despise me anymore, that we can actually talk again.”

 

David gripped the man’s hand. “It’s all good now, Andy. You and Phillip being here, Andrea—we’re able to be here without a huge soap opera going on. I love that!”

 

“Me too. I’m so relieved!” They hugged.

 

Andrea ran back outside. “Daddy, is it time yet?”

 

Andrew checked his watch. “It’s time. Come on little lady. Back in the water!”

 

The water spouted forth again and the kindergartner danced around the puddles in a joyous display. Andrew and David waved Robert and Phillip over to come out and join them. They all stood there and watched her dance.

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So glad that all the guys have finally decided to let bygones be bygones and be friends. Good chapter :thankyou:

Link to comment
On 01/26/2015 04:02 PM, LadyDe said:
So glad that all the guys have finally decided to let bygones be bygones and be friends. Good chapter :thankyou:
Thank you! Yes, letting the past rest and moving on is the best course.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..