Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 19. Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

 

Mid-September had arrived. The chilly gusts of autumn had already begun to blow. David put the thermal cover over the hot tub and covered the grill as well. The only thing now was to spruce up the backyard for their ceremony.

 

Serena came over two days in advance to assist with the pruning of the greenery. It had to be perfect in her mind. She didn’t know when she’d marry, and since Robert’s first wedding was quite small in scale, she wanted to make a big deal out of this one.

 

The weather was perfect, not a breath of wind nor a cloud in the sky. David and his future sister-in-law were outside raking up leaves and hosing off the patio. They took a short break and tossed back a couple of beers.

 

“Hey, Serena. I really appreciate all your help. This is so important to your brother and me.”

 

“I know it is. I wanted to help out. His last ceremony was at our place, and you’ve seen the yard, it’s tiny! He’s found the love of his life, and I want to make sure he has the grandest ceremony possible!”

 

David smiled and hugged his future sister-in-law. “I’m gonna really like having you for my sister.”

 

Serena smiled. “Thank you! I’m gonna really love having you as my brother. I figure three’s a good number,” she mused. Serena looked around the yard.

 

“It’s looking good. We’ll put the arbor there, and three each of those mums you guys wanted. We’ll have a runner in white. Luke will have burgundy rose petals to sprinkle.”

 

David smiled. “I can’t wait. This is gonna be so awesome! I hope some of our guests aren’t jealous.”

 

Serena raised a brow. “Who’d be jealous?”

 

David gritted his teeth and averted her gaze. “Uh, that’d be Phillip and An—”

 

“Andrew?! You’re inviting them to this? When were you gonna tell me?”

 

“Well, we discussed it. We figured since we went to theirs, it’d be only fair to invite them to ours.”

 

Serena crossed her arms severely. “Why would you bring them here? The scene of the crime?”

 

David scowled. “Look, I’m sure Robert has told you why we did what we did. We’re over them, Serena. I promise you.”

 

“He told me alright. He also told me how upset the two of you got at their wedding. It wasn’t as easy as you said it was.”

 

“No, it wasn’t. Alright? It was damn hard seeing the man I thought I was in love with marry another guy. The guy he cheated on to be with me. It sucked. What could I do about it? Go psycho and raze everyone with a hail of gunfire? No! Come on, I had to be calm and rational about it.”

 

Serena frowned and grabbed David’s arm. “You didn’t have to be there at all! You and my brother could’ve just stayed home and mourned them in your own way. You didn’t have to prove anything!”

 

David wrested his arm away. “That’s just it. We did have something to prove! That they didn’t have us by the nuts anymore! That we’d moved on!”

 

Serena let out a breath. “Fine. Whatever, it’s your wedding. One question though, if you invited those two, did you invite the other gruesome twosome? Cleve and Connor?”

David nodded. “Yeah, we did invite them, but they can’t make it.”

 

Serena narrowed her eyes. “Yeah, I’ll bet that’s it.” She raised her hands and formed air quotes. “The ol’ can’t make it, have to mow the lawn or wash my car that day.”

 

“No, actually, Cleve is working at the restaurant and Connor is out of town. I believe them.”

 

Serena sighed. “Whatever. Believe what you will. I’m just glad it’s gonna be a small crowd. Big weddings are such a pain!”

 

 

Finally, the day arrived. Both men wore white tuxedos and dark burgundy cummerbunds and ties. David slicked his hair back with gel and looked quite dapper, in his humble opinion. Robert tied back his now chin-length hair into a ponytail.

 

The day was ideal for a wedding. There were a few puffy white clouds in the clear blue sky, the humidity was low, and the brisk winds had subsided for a short time, hopefully long enough for the couple’s ceremony.

 

Daniel acted as David’s best man and Serena was “attendant of honor” for her brother. Luke served as ring bearer.

 

The two men strode towards the arbor and stood under it while the preacher performed the ceremony. David and Robert never let go of each other’s hands the entire time. Both had written their own vows and tearfully recited them.

 

David began. “Rob, you literally saved my heart! I don’t know how I could’ve gotten past all my pain without you by my side. I know it was fate that brought us together and it’ll be love that’ll keep us together. We’ve healed each other and I’m a far better man for having met you and been fortunate enough to have a chance to love you for the rest of my life.”

 

He looked down at Robert and saw they were both in happy tears already. The judge motioned it was now Robert’s turn. He shakily opened up his note and read it quietly.

 

“David, you’ve saved my very soul! I didn’t think anyone was capable of loving me as much as you have in just this short year. I knew when we met we were meant to be and was so thrilled when you asked me to move in as your friend. We blossomed together out of the deadwood that had been our lives before and I’m forever grateful. I’ll love you forever and with all my heart.”

 

He folded up the paper and wiped David’s eyes, as David did for him. They glanced around; there wasn’t a dry eye in the yard; even Andrew and Phillip had bleary eyes.

Finally, the rings were exchanged. They were lovely and simple: titanium bands with a shock of 14k gold in the middle. Their names were engraved on both bands as ‘Robby’ and ‘Davy’.

 

 

After the brief ceremony, and the announcement of the two being wed, David smiled widely. “We’re married!”

 

“Forever, my love!” Robert replied. He threw his arms around his new husband’s neck and held on tight as David swung him around joyfully. They kissed sweetly and held on.

 

“I love you so much, David!”

 

“I love you too, Rob! Finally, married!”

 

Led by their exes, the small crowd stood up and all applauded loudly and cheered at the happy couple. Rob looked over at his parents and got the official ‘thumbs-up’ sign from his father. His mother was bawling, of course. His sister blew them both a kiss, and Luke clapped his precious little hands together and yelled “Yay!”

 

They were now officially: David Griffin-Marshall and Robert Marshall-Griffin.

 

The drama had ended; now it was time for the adventure.

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great ending! I liked the simplicity of their heartfelt vows. Two broken hearts who mended each other. Thank you for writing it.

Link to comment
On 02/02/2015 06:03 AM, LadyDe said:
Great ending! I liked the simplicity of their heartfelt vows. Two broken hearts who mended each other. Thank you for writing it.
Thank you! I love this tale and I'm pleased you did too :)
Link to comment

Pony tails on men?  If you're not Native American, NO.  Leave them in the 90's.  Besides, what's under a pony tail? A horse's ass.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..