Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 4. Chapter 4

Chapter Four

 

A few days later, Robert asked David to come meet his family.

 

“Guess what, you get the honor of meeting my parents tonight. Lucky you! Everybody’s home.”

 

“Should I wear a suit?” David mused.

 

“No, we’re not formal like that. All they care about is someone who’s nice. You fit the bill.”

 

“Thanks, kid. What time are we going?”

 

“Around 6 pm. Mom likes to have a little conversation before dinner.”

 

“That works. Well, we’d better get moving.”

 

They walked out to the car and sped away to the Marshall’s home. The two arrived twenty minutes later. David got out first and opened Robert’s door for him.

 

“Thanks. I know they’d appreciate a true gentleman.”

 

David smiled. “So I’ve got brownie points already?”

Robert laughed. “You’ll have a lot more by tonight, I’m sure. Come on, I’m starved.”

 

He knocked on the door and not five seconds later, it was answered. “Robby! Hi, honey!” his mother crooned. She hugged him enthusiastically.

 

“Hey, Mom.”

 

She looked up at his blond companion. “Come in, dinner’s almost ready. Mark! They’re here!”

 

The doctor came out from the living room, with Luke holding his hand. “Son, good to see you. Well, why don’t you introduce us?”

 

Robert let out a quick breath and grinned. “Mom, Dad. This is my former physical therapist, David Griffin. David, this is Mark and Cassie Marshall. My sister, Serena, and little Luke.”

 

David held out his hand to Mark. “Sir, it’s an honor.”

 

Mark took the hand and shook it firmly. “David. Good to meet you.”

 

“Likewise, sir. Ma’am.”

 

Cassie shook his hand lightly. “Hello, David. I’m so glad our son found a good friend like you.”

 

“It’s a pleasure.” David looked to the side and saw a tall redhead with Robert’s haunting eyes, except green as grass. “Pleasure to meet you, Serena.”

 

“How’s it going? Robert tells me everything, and I swear we’re telepathic. You’re one of the good guys.”

 

David smiled. “Thank you.” He looked down at the little boy still holding his father’s hand.

 

“Well, hi there! You must be Luke!”

 

The little boy smiled and grinned at him. “Hi! Wanna play a game?”

 

David laughed. “What do you wanna play?”

 

“Hide-n-go-seek?”

 

Robert rolled his eyes. “Oh, yippee. Look out, David. He’s especially good at it. One time I looked for him for over an hour!”

 

Luke grinned. He grabbed the newcomer’s hand and dragged him off to his hideout. “Come on!”

“I’m coming! Nice meeting you all!”

 

Robert stood back and watched his little brother with his friend. For once, he didn’t feel anxious. It was a wonderful sensation.

 

“I like him, son.” Mark said.

 

Cassie smiled, as did Serena. “He seems like a fine man.”

 

Robert smiled. “Thanks, guys. I think he’s pretty cool.”

 

 

About a week after moving in, Robert got a call from his folks. They were taking Luke to the town’s carnival. They told him to bring David along if he wanted to.

 

Robert smiled to himself and called out for his roommate. “Hey, David?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“My parents are taking Luke to a carnival, and they wanna know if we’d like to join them.”

 

David twisted his lip in thought. “Sure! Sounds like fun. I’m bored.”

 

Robert nodded. “I am too.” He brought the phone back up to his mouth. “We’ll meet ya there. It’s at St. Ferdinand, right? Okay, see you then.”

 

 

They met up with Mark, Cassie and Luke in the parking lot.

 

“Hi guys!” He hugged both his parents then picked up his little brother. “Hey, sweet baby brother.”

 

Luke squealed. “Hi Wobert!”

 

A laughed was shared all around as Robert kissed his sibling’s puffy cheek.

 

David extended his hand. “Sir, ma’am. Pleasure to see you both again.”

 

“You as well, David.” Mark replied.

 

Cassie beamed at her son and they shared a happy smile. Robert hoisted Luke higher.

 

“Where should we go first?”

 

“Games!” he demanded.

“Games it is, Luke. Let’s go!”

 

They headed to the carnival games row and Robert put Luke down so he could play. Mark and Cassie watched over their youngest child, but they kept an eye on their grown son too. The men walked over to the ball toss booth.

 

“I used to play this a lot at school carnivals.” Robert reminisced.

 

“You any good?” David asked.

 

“Meh… alright I guess. The trick is to pitch the ball at just the right speed so you don’t just toss it in-between those little whatever-they-ares up there.”

 

“You know these games are rigged, right? Hardly anyone gets it. They want it that way.”

 

Robert frowned. “I have to win something this time, David. Too much has been taken from me.” He handed the attendant a dollar for three baseballs. “Watch this.”

 

Miss.

 

“Damn. Alright, second one.”

 

Miss.

 

Robert growled. “Dammit.”

 

Miss.

 

“Better luck next time!” The carnie spouted in his annoying tone.

 

Robert balled his fists. “Can’t win anything.” His blue eyes were suddenly moist and he began to walk away but David caught his shoulder.

 

“Rob? Wait a second, please?”

 

A tear escaped, which he quickly wiped away. “Why?”

 

David fished a dollar from his pocket and handed it to the attendant. “Three balls, please.”

 

Miss.

 

“Damn.”

 

Miss.

 

“Concentrate, Griffin.” He took a deep breath and tossed the last ball toward the fuzzy creatures. It slapped one of them right in the face and knocked it down!

 

“We have a winner!” the carnie announced.

 

Mark, Cassie and Luke all hurried over to see David accept his prize, a tiny, stuffed Bengal tiger.

 

Robert eyed it. “At least one of us could win something.”

 

David pursed his lips and put it into his friend’s hand.

 

“What’re you doing? You won it, it’s yours,” Robert protested quietly.

 

David smiled and stood closer to his friend. “Call it a thank you gift, for being my friend.”

 

Robert smiled as they exchanged a long hug and David kissed Robert’s forehead. He kept his hold around the man’s body and didn’t want to let go first. He loved holding David; he’d missed just holding a man close to him again, feeling and hearing his heartbeat, sharing the warmth of their bodies together, everything. He felt a bit aroused as he could feel how fit the blond was.

 

David kept his hold as well as they shared the safe, warm, bonding embrace.

 

Finally, they let go in unison and Robert smoothed his hands over David’s arms.

 

“Thank you for that. I really needed a genuine hug from someone not in my family.”

 

“Anytime, my friend. I guarantee you.”

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..