Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 9. Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

 

David had grown tired of the lonely life of the clinic and decided he was well enough to go back into the ER. He wanted Cal to meet Robert and help him decide. He invited the man over for dinner a week later.

 

“Cal! You old dog, good to see you!” David hugged him warmly.

 

Robert walked towards the man. “Cal, this is Robert.”

 

Robert smiled and offered his hand for Cal to shake, which he did. “Nice to meet you, Cal.”

 

“Oops, don’t want to shake it too hard, you’re the hand patient.”

 

Robert laughed. “Oh yes, don’t want it sprained again. I've heard a lot about you.”

 

Cal poked David in the side. “What’ve you been telling this lad, David?”

 

“Hey, all good. You’re the best boss I’ve ever had in my life.”

 

Cal walked over to Robert and whispered in his ear. “Makes ya wonder about his other bosses. Probably would’ve had a better time if they were all old queers like me.”

 

Robert’s eyes grew wide. “Uh, yeah, maybe so.”

 

Cal lightly tapped his arm. “You did know that, right?”

 

David nodded. “I told you that Cal’s like us didn’t I?”

 

Robert frowned in thought. “I think you mentioned it. It doesn’t matter, come on in. Dinner’s almost ready.” Robert waved them over to the table. Cal went right for the fridge and helped himself to a beer.

 

David scowled. “Hey, easy on that stuff tonight, Cal. I know you can drink me under the table….”

 

“Easy lad. I just like a beer with dinner. This’ll be my only one, I promise.”

 

“Okay, okay. I believe you. Come on; let’s sit down before it gets cold.”

 

“What did you make for us lad?”

 

Robert smiled. “Salmon with dill sauce. My mom showed me how.”

 

Cal smiled. “It looks marvelous. Well done.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

David chimed in. “I agree, good job.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

The three set to devouring their dinner. Robert asked Cal a lot of questions, and vice-versa. David was pretty much an observer. He was too busy playing host. Cal noticed and waved him back to the table.

 

“Get over here, boy. Stop playing host and sit down with us.”

 

“I just thought I’d clear the table.”

 

Cal looked at Robert and laughed. “He’s such a worrier. Everything has to be just so. That’s why he’s so good as a physical therapist and an LPN.”

 

Robert grinned. David walked back to the table and sat down. “There, I’m seated. Happy?”

 

Cal socked David in the arm. “Crazy lad you are. Ever since you had this house built, you keep it up perfectly.”

 

“It wasn’t a cheap house to build. I want it kept up. Robert helps me with the place.”

 

Robert shrugged. “Well, as much as I can with working and traveling. I head out of town tomorrow for three days.”

 

David cocked his head and winked at his boyfriend. “I’ll miss ya, kid.”

 

Robert grinned, as did Cal. “I’ll miss you, too.”

 

“Where are ya off to, lad?” Cal interjected.

 

“Dallas. I’ve never been to Texas before. A whole new experience.”

 

Cal piped up with an idea. “David, why don’t ya go with him?”

 

“What? I can’t do that, I’ve still got the clinic to run until I leave….”

 

Cal snorted. “Shit, I can do that for ya. I want you to go out of town with this young man.”

 

Robert looked confused. “Cal, there’s really nothing for him to do down there. I’ll be working and in meetings all the time. We’ll barely see each other!”

 

David nodded. “I agree. What do you want me to do down there, Cal? Be a tourist? No, I’ll stay right here and either run the clinic or go back to the ER like I want to.”

 

Cal rolled his eyes. He sat back in his chair. Robert noticed there was no space between him and the table. Cal was quite rotund. He was a handsome man though, or he was, in his youth. Now, he was a fat, middle-aged man with gray hair, endowed with great responsibility. He was a widower too, nine years now. David had told him that Cal had a boyfriend, but the older man refused to take it to the serious level because of losing the love of his life, Tad. His explanation was that he couldn’t take the pain of loss again. Finally, Cal spoke.

 

“Very well, lad. You’re back in the ER starting tomorrow. Twelve hour shifts again, mind you.”

 

David thought it over for a second. He looked over at Robert. “What do you think? Will you mind me working that many hours?”

 

Robert fumbled for words. “Well… uh… it won’t be all the time, will it? I mean, work maybe 3, 3-and-a-half?”

Cal chuckled. “Four days a week, forty-eight hours. It’s stressful work, as you know. I hope you can handle it again, lad.”

 

David sat up confidently. “I know I can. I’ve got my rock right here.”

 

David caressed Robert’s shoulder. They joined hands. Cal grinned.

 

“Well, I see you’re in good hands, lad. We’ll put ya on a trial basis again for two weeks. If you can handle it, you’re on permanently. If not, the clinic it is.”

 

David stuck out his hand. “Deal.”

 

Cal shook the hand. “Deal.”

 

Robert smiled at them both. “I hope it works out.”

 

“So do I,” David admitted.

 

They stood up and brought their dishes over to the counter. David loaded them in the dishwasher while Robert put the condiments away.

 

“Let’s go sit and chat while our dinner digests.” Robert suggested.

 

“Sounds good, bud.”

Cal sat on the sofa and David and Robert shared the loveseat. They joined hands as soon as they were seated.

 

“You guys make a great-looking couple, that’s for sure,” Cal remarked.

 

“Thank you. At least that isn’t all there is to our relationship this time,” David clarified.

 

Cal leaned forward. “Robert, tell me about this job you have.”

 

“Certainly. I’m a congressman’s aide. I help out with speeches, events, dealing with donations, constituents, putting proposals and bills together. A lot of things. It’s an awesome gig, I really like the guy.”

 

“Sounds like it’s a very busy job!”

 

“It is that! I love it though.”

 

David put his free arm around his boyfriend. “Would you ever run for office?”

 

Robert’s eyes grew wide. “Me? Oh heavens no. I’m not willing to be raked over the coals constantly and be in the public eye. I like the quiet life of me and my man just having a calm, happy life together.”

 

David kissed his head softly. “Me too, baby. You read my mind.”

 

Cal grinned at his friend. “You two seem very happy.”

 

Robert rubbed David’s arm. “We are. We’re exorcising those demons at last and moving on.”

 

“Definitely. I won’t have much time to worry about things anymore in the ER. That place gets crazy sometimes.”

 

“True enough. I know you liked it before.”

 

“I can handle it again, I know it. I’ve got the best reason on earth to come home now.” He kissed Robert quickly and hugged him.

 

Cal nodded. “You sure do.”

 

Robert played with a flaxen strand of David’s hair. “Hey, have you ever considered going all the way and becoming a doctor?”

 

David looked over at Cal and laughed. “Over and over and over. I’d love the income that comes with it, but not the schooling. I’m done with hours upon hours of classes, not to mention the loans and books. I’m content the way I am.”

 

Robert looked over at their guest. “You’ve known him a lot longer than me, Cal. Is he?”

 

“For once, I can say I agree with him. You know he called me about you right after you two met. Said you were being nosy.”

 

Robert gasped playfully. “You what?”

 

David rolled his eyes. “Holy cow. I was in such a state at the time. I’m glad you were so insistent on talking to me. That’s the only thing that helped! I had to get that off my chest.”

 

“Glad I could help. I needed to do that too. We’ll heal.”

 

“Absolutely.”

 

They kissed again and Cal picked up on the two wanting to get closer.

 

“Boys, I’m gonna head out.”

 

“But we just finished dinner. Are you sure?” David balked.

 

“David, I know the look and I know you. You two enjoy your evening and I’ll see you in the morning.”

 

The couple stood up to say goodbye. Robert and Cal hugged briefly. David walked his friend to the door and the two hugged for a long time.

 

“So glad you’re doing better. Was very worried about you, kiddo.”

 

“I’m much better, thanks to Rob.”

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“Can’t wait. Good night, Cal. Drive safe.”

 

“I will. Night, Rob. Night, David.”

 

They shut the door and David caught Robert in a bear hug. “Are you sure? About me working that much?”

 

“I’m sure. I work a lot too. If anything suffers, it’ll be the plants.”

 

“Well, I just have to get a trusted neighbor to look after them.”

 

Robert nodded. “Agreed. I’ll be here a lot, nothing to worry about.”

 

David kissed his boyfriend. “You’re one awesome guy, Rob. I couldn’t get through this without ya.”

 

Robert replied with a long, sweet kiss. “You’re my rock too. We keep each other going. Come on, I’m exhausted. Time for bed.”

 

David nodded. “I agree there. Let’s go.”

 

They walked down the hall and gave each other a long kiss and hug good night.

 

“Good night, sweet David. Sleep well.”

 

They kissed again and David stroked Robert’s small face. “Sweet dreams only. I wish… we could share a room sometimes.”

 

Robert nodded. “Me too, but not just yet. I want that to be special and amazing.”

 

David smiled and they kissed once more. “Well, until that night, you’d better get some rest. Flight tomorrow.”

 

“Bright and early.” Robert separated himself from David and their eyes didn’t part from each other until both doors were shut. They tucked themselves into their separate beds and slept soundly.

 

Robert awoke at five a.m. to get to the airport on time. David drove him. When they arrived, they sat in the car for a moment together.

“I’ll miss you. I’ve gotten used to having you there at night.”

 

Robert smiled at his boyfriend and kissed him. “I’ll miss you too. I’ll call you tonight, as soon as I land. Believe me; I’d rather be home with you.”

 

David nodded. They shared a long, warm embrace and a deep kiss. “I’ll see you when you get back. Be safe.”

 

“I will be.” He played with the blond’s hair and tucked it behind his ear. “See you in a couple days.”

 

“Definitely. We’ll have a nice dinner when you get back.”

 

After one more long hug, the two finally separated. Robert waved goodbye from the gate and walked inside.

 

 

David reported for his shift at the hospital that day. It was exhausting, but he made it. The highlight of his day was getting any type of message from Robert. He received two text messages, one when he took off and one when he landed.

 

Robert called that night. He was delighted to hear David’s voice on the other end of the phone.

 

“Hey, hon. All settled into the hotel?”

 

“Yeah. It’s alright. The flight was good. I had some pretzels. Dinner here was great, chicken Parmesan. Think I’ll try to make it at home.”

 

“Sounds good to me, I love chicken.”

 

“Me too. Wow I’m sleepy. That wasn’t a real long flight, but flying always makes me tired.”

 

David blew him a kiss over the phone. “Wish I were there to tuck you in.”

 

“Miss you too. I wish you were here with me, but you’d have nothing to do. All meetings, politics, blah, blah, blah.”

 

“I’d just love being there for you when you got back to the hotel,” David replied.

 

“You’re so sweet. I’ll be back before you know it. Besides, with your work shifts, those are a full day to themselves. I’ll text you as often as I can, I promise.”

“I’ll hold you to that.”

 

“It’s a deal. I’ll call you in the morning. Good night, David. Sleep well.”

 

“You too.”

 

 

Three days later, Robert’s flight was due back. Unfortunately, so was a thunderstorm system. The flight was delayed, but after a tense hour of waiting, it finally landed. David nearly ran down the tunnel to retrieve his boyfriend.

 

“Rob! Thank goodness you’re alright!” David hugged him and held on.

 

“I’m alright, luckily. Turbulent ride! I almost tossed what was left of my dinner.”

 

David took his hand. “Come on; let’s get you something to settle it.”

 

They walked up to the café and ordered some Sprite and soda crackers. Robert drank it slowly; each sip of soda made him feel better. He looked up into David’s eyes, which hadn’t left him the entire time.

 

“I really missed you, Rob. I didn’t think I’d miss you this much for such a short trip.”

 

Robert smiled. “I missed you too. I think the storm added to it, made you worry more.”

 

David nodded. “Oh, definitely. It didn’t take me long to get here, but hearing that deluge outside; I know it’ll take a while to get back. I’m anxious to get you home.”

 

Robert smiled and blew David a discreet kiss. “I’m anxious too. I wanna have a nice long chat with you.”

 

David’s eyes grew wide. “Chat? About what?”

 

Robert sensed the fear and brushed his hands. “No, nothing sinister at all. All good, all very good. I wanna be able to talk where we’re alone.”

 

David nodded. “That’s a relief. Speaking of which, how’s your stomach feeling?”

 

“Much better, thanks. Damn that turbulence.”

 

“Ready to get outta here?”

 

“More than.”

 

David smiled and waved down their waiter. “Check, please.”

 

They arrived home after about forty-five minutes in traffic. It was still pouring rain, but the severe section of the storm had passed them by. It was nearly 10 pm when they finally got home. David parked the car and ran around to open the door for Robert. Robert unlocked the front door while David unloaded the luggage. He did a quick scan of the house, the little of it he could see. Luckily, only a few tree branches had fallen. No damage.

 

Robert walked inside and slung his jacket over the back of the sofa. He ran his fingers through his hair. It had grown a bit, but was still amazingly short for his taste. David followed behind him and locked the door. He walked up behind Robert and wrapped him in his arms.

 

“I didn’t get a chance to properly welcome you home with all those people around.”

 

Robert grinned. “I wanted so bad to just ravish you in front of the others. We’re alone at last.”

 

“Thank goodness. I’m just relieved you’re alright.”

 

They hugged for a long moment. David ran his hand through Robert’s hair and brushed his fingers along his beard.

 

“I missed you too, David.”

 

Their faces met and the two kissed passionately for a few moments. Robert hiked himself up on his toes to meet David’s face.

 

“So, now that you’re home, what did you wanna talk about?”

 

Robert grinned. “Oh, well. I’m too tired to talk. If I had some more energy, I’d wanna do something else. Right now, I think I could go for one of your famous beer floats and a movie. I wanna cuddle up on the sofa with you and fall asleep on your shoulder.”

 

“Coming right up. Hey, do you work tomorrow?”

 

“Yeah. Unfortunately. I’m gonna go in a bit later though, give myself a little bit more sleep.”

 

“Will they let you?”

 

“Oh, sure. Nate is a great guy; he lets me come in late when it’s warranted.”

 

“Sounds like we both have great bosses.”

“That we do.”

 

David prepared the floats and walked them over to the sofa. An old 1950’s movie was on. Robert didn’t know the title. He didn’t stay awake long enough to see it. He didn’t even get to take a sip from his float; he’d fallen fast asleep. David laughed to himself, pulled the blanket down from the back of the sofa, and covered his boyfriend with it.

 

“Sweet dreams, Robert.”

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..