Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 2,260 Words
  • 5,771 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Storms - 3. Julie

‘I’m home,’ I said, tossing the front door key in the bowl on the dresser.

‘How was school?’ Mum called from the kitchen. I could smell something cooking. The scent of rosemary filled the flat.

‘Fine,’ I said. ‘Just a normal school day, really.’ Which was a total lie, of course. Today, my heart had been broken into a million pieces. School had decidedly not been fine.

Mum appeared in the doorway from the kitchen, wearing a flowery apron. ‘Would you be a dear and pop next door to borrow a cup of flour from Aunt Moira, please?’

‘Of course.’ I set down my school bag and hung up my coat before picking up my keys again and putting them in my pocket.

I stepped out onto the landing and knocked on Aunt Moira and Uncle Jon’s door. Aunt Moira opened and smiled when she saw me.

‘Julie! What a pleasant surprise!’

‘Hi, Aunt Moira. Mum was wondering if she could borrow a cup of flour, please?’

‘Of course! Come in!’

I walked inside. Their flat was the exact mirror image of ours. Mum and Aunt Moira are sisters, but it had been pure coincidence that they had ended up moving in next door to each other. I always found that kind of funny.

I followed Aunt Moira through to the kitchen. She told me to sit and offered me a biscuit while she rummaged through the cupboards for flour.

‘You’re such a good girl, Julie,’ she said conversationally. ‘Always so helpful. And punctual. Our Jason still isn’t home from school . . .’

‘I’m sure he’ll turn up soon,’ I said. I wasn’t sure of anything of the sort, of course. With Jason, one was rarely sure of anything.

Aunt Moira shook her head. ‘I don’t know what that boy gets up to these days, I really don’t.’

Drinking and bullying other kids, mostly, I thought glumly, but didn’t say anything.

As if on cue, the front door opened, and I heard Jason’s voice in the hall.

‘Mum, I’m home, but I’m going to Alec’s place to do homework!’

‘Make sure you actually do your homework!’ Aunt Moira called to him. She handed me a cup of flour. ‘There you are, dear.’ She walked me out into the hall, where Jason stood with his mobile out, typing a text. ‘Did you hear me, Jason?’ she asked.

‘Yeah, yeah. We really are doing homework, promise. Science project.’ He looked up and saw me. ‘Hey, Jules.’

‘Hey.’ I turned to Aunt Moira. ‘Thanks for the flour.’

‘Any time, dear!’ Aunt Moira patted my cheek. ‘Tell your mother I’ll stop by later.’

Jason put his phone in his pocket and opened the front door again. I said goodbye to his mother and stepped out onto the landing after him.

‘So, what are you and Alec really doing?’ I asked airily. ‘Because I sure as hell don’t remember any science project being due any time soon.’

‘Mind your own business, nerd,’ Jason grumbled.

I held up my free hand in a gesture of surrender. ‘No need to get testy. I didn’t say anything inside, did I?’

‘Yeah, and you better keep it that way. Don’t think I wouldn’t hit you just because you’re a girl.’

I laughed at his half-arsed threat. ‘If you wanted to guarantee that I tell your mum about all the shit you get up to, hitting me would be exactly the way to do it. I’ll leave you alone if you do me the same courtesy.’

He made no real reply, but shrugged his shoulders and headed for the staircase. I watched him disappear before going back inside my own flat.

I brought the flour into the kitchen to Mum.

‘Thank you, darling.’ She kissed my cheek. ‘How was Moira?’

I shrugged. ‘Fine. She said she’d drop by later for a chat.’

‘Was your cousin in?’

‘Briefly. He left to do homework with a friend.’

‘Good,’ said Mum. ‘That boy’s always getting in trouble . . . It’s time he starts taking things a bit more seriously.’

I hesitated. ‘Mum?’

‘Yes?’

‘My friend Laura’s having a party in a couple of weeks . . . She’s invited the whole year.’

Mum looked at me with a sad smile. ‘I don’t think so, sweetheart.’

I wasn’t exactly surprised, but her outright refusal still caused me to deflate. ‘You never let me do anything.’

‘That’s not true. You went to the cinema just this weekend.’

‘In the middle of the day, yeah.’

She sighed. ‘Julie . . . We’ve been over this. I just want to protect you. When you turn sixteen, you’ll have more freedom, I promise. But for now, these are the rules. I want you to be safe.’

‘Jason gets to do whatever he wants.’

‘If you ask me, Moira gives that boy far too much freedom. If he were my child, I would expect him to follow the exact same rules as you.’

‘Even though he’s a boy?’

She turned to me with a curious look on her face. ‘Of course. Sweetheart, this has nothing to do with you being a girl. This is about keeping you safe and teaching you to be responsible. When Luke gets to be your age, he’ll be in exactly the same boat as you are now.’

I knew that she meant it, but it didn’t really make me feel any better. Still, I couldn’t hate her for it. She’d been like this ever since Dad died. It didn’t really make sense. Dad died of an aneurism, not of an accident or anything like that. But I guess to her that didn’t matter. She wanted to protect us from everything, from germs and dangerous chemicals, to people who might want to do us harm. Her rules were not imposed under threats of violence, but with infinite patience and kindness. It was hard to hold a grudge against her for that, even if her overprotectiveness sometimes drove me up the wall.

‘Would you go check on your brother, please?’ she said. ‘Tea’s almost ready.’

* * *

Luke was being especially bratty about food lately, to the extent where Mum was about to let him leave the table just to keep the peace, but I managed to get him to sit down and finish what was on his plate. Mum had never let me off easy. I wasn’t about to watch her let Luke off the hook.

After we had finished eating, I helped Mum clear the table before going to my room to do homework. As it happened, I had finished most of my work in class, but I still had some geography I needed to finish reading.

My eyes seemed to just slide off the page, though. After having read the same paragraph five times without taking in a word, I closed the book with a sigh. How was I supposed to focus on Pacific island groups when all I could think about was Michael Storm?

Our conversation from earlier was still fresh in my mind. He had rejected me, but then he had invited me to hang out with him and his friends. How was I supposed to feel about that? Did it mean that there was hope?

I got up from my desk and crossed the room to my bed, sinking down onto it in defeat. It was all too much. Being the perfect student, the perfect daughter, trying to uphold a social life under my mum’s ridiculous rules, and on top of that getting a crush on a guy whose intentions I had no hope of reading . . . How was I ever supposed to keep up with everything?

Leigh would know. She knew everything. But she no longer lived in the flat below ours. I couldn’t just run downstairs and knock on the door to get her opinion on whatever I was struggling with. Not anymore. Although . . .

I glanced at my mobile phone, lying on my desk. It had been a while since we’d spoken. Just as I stood up, however, the phone began to buzz. I rushed over to get it, only to see Leigh’s name flashing across the screen.

I picked up.

‘Hey! How’s my favourite Jules?’

‘Hey Leigh,’ I said, sitting back down on my bed. ‘I was just thinking about calling you.’

‘What, really?’ Leigh’s voice was the same as always. I could hear her smile, picture her warm brown eyes dancing with amusement. ‘That’s so funny! Any particular reason.’

I hesitated. ‘Yeah, but we’ll get to that. How’s Leeds?’

‘Ugh. Bleak. Especially this time of year. School’s good, though. So that’s something. How are things with you?’

‘The usual,’ I said. ‘Working my arse off at school, and Mum hardly ever lets me out of the house. I went to the movies this weekend, though.’

‘Ooh, who with?’

‘Just some kids from the year above me.’ I paused, unsure of how to proceed. ‘I, er . . . One of the people I went with, this boy named Michael Storm . . . Do you remember him?’

‘Hm . . . Tall, brown hair? Very green eyes?’

‘Yeah, that’s him.’ I looked down at my free hand in my lap, picked at my thumb nail with my index finger. ‘Well, he’s the one who asked me. He’s nice. I thought maybe he liked me, but . . .’

‘But?’

I sighed. ‘Well, I talked to him today, and he made it pretty clear that he wasn’t interested in me like that. But then he was all, “Come and sit with me and my friends at dinner if you like,” and everything’s just really confusing now.’

Leigh was silent for a little while. ‘Well,’ she said at last, ‘it’s my experience that if a boy’s interested and he knows you’re interested he’ll be pretty clear. But I don’t know Michael. From what I remember, though, he didn’t seem like the kind to string people along.’

‘He’s not,’ I said. ‘At least, I don’t think so. He kind of indicated that there was someone else he liked. So I thought, maybe if that doesn’t work out—’

‘Let me stop you right there,’ said Leigh. ‘You don’t want to be anyone’s second choice, Jules. You’re far too good for that. Now, if hanging out with you will make him see you differently, that’s another matter. But waiting for someone to fall in love with you, well, that’s kind of setting yourself up for disappointment.’

‘Yeah, I get that . . .’

‘How much do you like this guy?’ Leigh asked. ‘I mean, are we talking crush, full blown love with tiny violins, or just kind of like?’

‘I don’t even know,’ I said. ‘I’ve never really liked anyone before . . . It’s kind of hard to tell.’

‘Well, try to figure that out first. Once you’re more certain about how you actually feel, you can think about what to do. Whether to hang out with him more or whatever. If being just friends is something you think you can be comfortable with, then definitely, go for it. If you’re gonna be pining for him, though, it might be kinder to yourself not to.’

‘Yeah. Yeah, I see what you mean. Thanks, Leigh.’

‘Any time, sweets!’ she said. ‘Now, let me tell you about this girl Monica. You are not going to believe what she said to me the other day!’

We talked for a good half hour, exchanging stories about things going on in our lives and with people around us. I told her about the latest goings on with Jason, and she told me about her older sister’s new boyfriend. It was nice just chatting with her, but it made me realise how much I missed her. How much I missed having a best friend.

‘Oh!’ I exclaimed, just as we were getting ready to hang up. ‘Did I tell you about the new kid?’

‘New kid? No.’

‘His name’s Daniel. He’s in my year. He’s super quiet and gets bullied a lot. I don’t know much about him, but here’s the thing. Today, when I was talking to Michael, suddenly he started asking about him. He seemed really interested in finding out more about who he was.’

‘Maybe he’s gay.’ Leigh laughed. I laughed as well.

‘Might explain why he never seems to have girlfriends,’ I said. ‘But seriously, though. When I told him how Daniel gets bullied and doesn’t really seem to have any friends, Michael just seemed to get so sad for him.’

Leigh gave another, softer laugh. ‘I can see why you like Michael,’ she said. ‘Boys with empathy are totally cute. What about this Daniel kid, though?’

‘He’s . . . Not really my type. He’s kind of short and skinny and looks about twelve. Cute in his own way, I guess, but . . .’

‘No, I mean, it might be fun to get to know him. You could do with more friends, right? Long as he doesn’t get the wrong idea.’

‘Hm . . . Yeah, I’ll think about it.’ I glanced at the desk where my geography homework still lay unfinished. ‘I should probably go. Need to finish my homework.’

‘All right, I’ll talk to you later. Take care!’

‘You too. Bye!’

I hung up and sat back down at my desk. I had been right. Leigh really did know what to do. Still, I had so many things left to think about. First, though, Pacific island groups.

Copyright © 2016-2019 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 54
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

It appears that I never actually made one of these for this story, but since people seem to like it, I'm making one now, in case anyone's interested in discussing it or whatever.     Summary: When fourteen-year-old Daniel and his mother are kicked out by his stepfather, they have to move to a housing estate in a different part of town, and Daniel has to change schools. He has a hard time making friends, and it only gets worse when one of his classmates takes a rather unhealthy in
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hello Thorn. I just finished chapter 3, after rereading chapters 1 and 2. You have three pretty interesting characters, Daniel, Michael, and Julie, and an interesting potential heavy (oops, Forgot his name - Julie's cousin). The set up is good, and I am anxious to read some more. Thanks. Jeff

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/25/2016 02:33 PM, JeffreyL said:

Hello Thorn. I just finished chapter 3, after rereading chapters 1 and 2. You have three pretty interesting characters, Daniel, Michael, and Julie, and an interesting potential heavy (oops, Forgot his name - Julie's cousin). The set up is good, and I am anxious to read some more. Thanks. Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! Glad you're enjoying the story. Hope you continue to like it as it progresses. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What I see you building is a net of relationships which might just catch a falling boy. Or could I be wrong about that? In any case, your character illustrations are quite vividly drawn. You convey information without being too prosy. Well done. Now how about another chapter, please?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Aww poor Julie, I feel bad for her. Well definitely Daniel too, but things aren't exactly perfect for the poor girl. I do hope she gets pretty quick that Michael meant what he said about being friends. I see all kinds of potential here, will she reach out to Daniel and become his friend? Perhaps that will be how Daniel and Michael actually meet? Also, her cousin is one of the guys who bullies Daniel, so what conflict will that bring? And will she rebel against mom's restrictive rules? I'm with Parker, let's get more Thorn!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/25/2016 10:37 PM, Parker Owens said:

What I see you building is a net of relationships which might just catch a falling boy. Or could I be wrong about that? In any case, your character illustrations are quite vividly drawn. You convey information without being too prosy. Well done. Now how about another chapter, please?

Patience, grasshopper. ;) It's in the works. And I love insightful readers. :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 07/26/2016 02:39 AM, spikey582 said:

Aww poor Julie, I feel bad for her. Well definitely Daniel too, but things aren't exactly perfect for the poor girl. I do hope she gets pretty quick that Michael meant what he said about being friends. I see all kinds of potential here, will she reach out to Daniel and become his friend? Perhaps that will be how Daniel and Michael actually meet? Also, her cousin is one of the guys who bullies Daniel, so what conflict will that bring? And will she rebel against mom's restrictive rules? I'm with Parker, let's get more Thorn!

For fear of repeating myself, I love insightful readers. Next chapter is going through its finishing touches. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This story is turning out to be like a diamond. So many facets to it. Turn it just a little and you see things from another POV. Interesting! And I hope Julie gets over Michael. To be pining over him like that...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/26/2016 10:58 PM, Puppilull said:

This story is turning out to be like a diamond. So many facets to it. Turn it just a little and you see things from another POV. Interesting! And I hope Julie gets over Michael. To be pining over him like that...

Those are kind words. Glad you find it interesting! Hope you continue to. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It's only me from across the sea, with another question. I know, I'm so annoying, right? lol

 

So...I thought Julie, Daniel, and Michael were all in the same grade, at least Julie and Michael because they're both fifteen. When Julie told Leigh she went to the movies with kids a grade higher it confused me. I'm just too picky. Sorry, Thorn!

 

I do feel badly for Julie, mainly because her dad isn't alive anymore, and her mom is sort of suffocating her. Understandably so...it's VERY difficult being a single parent with no one to really turn to. It's not like her mom can turn to her sister -- Moira is going to have her hands full with Jason when she finally finds out what he's really been up to!

 

I liked Leigh's suggestion of befriending Daniel, and as Spikey mentioned, this could be the way Michael and Daniel meet. :)

 

Wonderful chapter, Thorn! I really like reading the different POVs! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/12/2016 01:15 PM, Lisa said:

It's only me from across the sea, with another question. I know, I'm so annoying, right? lol

 

So...I thought Julie, Daniel, and Michael were all in the same grade, at least Julie and Michael because they're both fifteen. When Julie told Leigh she went to the movies with kids a grade higher it confused me. I'm just too picky. Sorry, Thorn!

 

I do feel badly for Julie, mainly because her dad isn't alive anymore, and her mom is sort of suffocating her. Understandably so...it's VERY difficult being a single parent with no one to really turn to. It's not like her mom can turn to her sister -- Moira is going to have her hands full with Jason when she finally finds out what he's really been up to!

 

I liked Leigh's suggestion of befriending Daniel, and as Spikey mentioned, this could be the way Michael and Daniel meet. :)

 

Wonderful chapter, Thorn! I really like reading the different POVs! :)

Thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying the story! I always appreciate your reviews. :) I see you figured out the thing with Julie and Daniel being the year below Michael, but in order to preempt any future confusion, here's a quick explanation of the British school system:

 

In England, children start school at the age of 5. That's year 1, and you have to be 5 years old before the start of the school year. This means that if school starts on September 1st and your birthday is September 2nd, you probably don't get to start school until the following year. When you start year 10, which is the year Julie, Loz and Daniel are in, you have to be 14, but you can be nearly 15. At this point in the story, Loz is already 15, because his birthday is in October. Michael's birthday is in November, so he's nearly 16. Daniel's birthday is in August, so he'll be 14 the entire school year. Julie will be 15 in the spring.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think I worry about Julie as much as her mother. I mean, I totally understand the mom and her need to protect. Also, Leigh! That girl is something. She gives good advice and she has already guessed  Michael's secret! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Laura S. Fox said:

I think I worry about Julie as much as her mother. I mean, I totally understand the mom and her need to protect. Also, Leigh! That girl is something. She gives good advice and she has already guessed  Michael's secret! 

Leigh was an awesome friend to Julie. Too bad she's no longer around... 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The Brits use 'arse', we Yanks say 'ass'. I have been told that the reason is an 'ass' is a domesticated member of the horse family, Equidae, and has been elevated into a somewhat holy position because it was the animal that carried Christ into Bethlehem. Arse comes from the OE 'tail' or even further back. from ME German, same meaning.

   Now you really didn't need to know all that, did you?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

The Brits use 'arse', we Yanks say 'ass'. I have been told that the reason is an 'ass' is a domesticated member of the horse family, Equidae, and has been elevated into a somewhat holy position because it was the animal that carried Christ into Bethlehem. Arse comes from the OE 'tail' or even further back. from ME German, same meaning.

   Now you really didn't need to know all that, did you?

Well, no, but I already knew. ;) Except you're wrong about it meaning 'tail'. Going back, it has consistently meant 'buttocks'. In old Norse, you have the word 'rass' which has the same etymological roots. In Norse times, 'rassraggr' was a derogatory term for men who had sex with men. 'Rass' remains in modern Icelandic and is occasionally also used in Norwegian. In modern Swedish, the word 'arsle' is also the same. And, as you say, in German the word exists as well. 'Arsch' in modern German also means arse. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..