Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,671 Words
  • 8,058 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Army - 22. Chapter 22

December

 

Brody's worn pickup was already parked in the drive when the battered Mustang rolled to a stop behind it. Andrew made a move to open the door and get out, but Will stopped him with a gentle hand on his arm.

"We're alone," he said with a slight hint of red entering his cheeks.

Surprised, Andrew looked around the car at the deserted suburban street lit by orange street lamps and houses decorated with multicoloured Christmas lights. Will was right; they were alone, no teachers, nor nosey cheerleaders, vengeful pregnant girls or enthusiastic kids. Just a hockey player and an Englishman sitting in a car alone with each other.

"So," Andrew said, letting go of the handle of the door, "Does that mean I actually get to kiss you?"

"Nope," Will responded, his fingers brushing the golden letters on Andrew's sleeve, "Because if I kiss you I won't want to stop and the others are probably waiting for us inside."

"You know," Andrew said glancing around him, "I could always find a field and strand us again."

"Oh, this time can it be you with hypothermia?" Will screwed his nose up in distaste, "I don't fancy going through that again..."

Andrew's eyebrows rose in mock surprise, "Hmm, don't know about that one, I think I'm supposed to be the hero in this relationship."

Will blinked a couple of times, "'Scuse me? Do I look like a damsel in distress to you?"

Andrew chuckled, "Well, we'd have to buy you a dress... but you could probably pull it off if you shaved your legs or something..."

Will gave him a baleful glare;"Right, no kiss for you then..."

Andrew's face melted into a smile, "Aww, I didn't mean it..."

"Nope," Will replied, folding his arms resolutely and half turning his head away.

Andrew leaned across to him and brushed Will's shoulder with his hand, "I'm sorry..."

Will was desperately trying not to laugh, as he shrugged off Andrew's hand, "Nope, you think I'm a girl or something..."

Andrew playfully worked to pry Will's arms out of their folded position as Will fought to keep them crossed, and seconds later he succumbed to his giggles, allowing Andrew to pry his arms apart and lean in to kiss him on the cheek. At the last second Will turned his head and their lips met, and the warmth of that single gesture caused him to quiver.

Andrew drew back in surprise. "You okay?" he asked in concern.

Will smiled as he rested his head against Andrew's forehead, their noses touching. "I was waiting for the shocked gasp," he admitted with a sly grin.

"I never realized you were an exhibitionist, Carter," Andrew said, giving him a suspicious look.

"Oh really?" Will replied, "Didn't the fact that I always make you kiss me in public give it away?"

Andrew shrugged, "You just like to show off the fact that you're kissing me."

"Ah, the famous Highmore cockiness," Will said sagely, as he slipped out of Andrew's embrace and reached into the back of the car to grab the grocery bags. "Personally I think it's you who should be showing me off."

They climbed out of the car and trudged up the driveway towards the house, their footprints marking the fresh dusting of snow that had fallen sometime in the early evening. It was a crisp and cool night, not too cold but just enough to have an edge to it. Will shivered instinctively and Andrew wrapped an arm about him to pull him close as they climbed the steps and banged into the house.

Brody was standing by the stereo fiddling with the equalizer as loud down-tempo jazz poured out of the antiquated stereo. Brody insisted that music only sounded right when it was played on vinyl, that CD's just didn't have the same resonance.

Lisa was curled up into the chair, a large mug of what looked like hot cocoa in her hands and her legs pulled up close against her as she listened to Brody's lecture. She was remarkably patient with him, even though Will knew for a fact Lisa was a CD junkie.

They stopped into the hall, Will giving his friends a big smile as he lifted up the bag of groceries triumphantly, "Mission accomplished!" he stated loudly.

Brody glanced up at the clock, a bemused smile on his lips. "By the time, I'm guessing you took the scenic route around Andrew's tonsils,"

Will gaped at him, "Hey! I don't make wisecracks every time you're kissing Lisa." He shook his head as he marched into the kitchen and set the bags down on the countertop. He glanced apologetically at Andrew, who seemed completely un-fazed by Brody's gentle ribbing.

He paused in concern when he saw Jared walk to the fridge and take out another bottle; he nodded to Andrew and extended a beer to him. Andrew grinned and accepted, the advantage of being so close to Quebec where the legal drinking age was eighteen and nobody carded at a depanneur.

Will drank, had since he was a little whippersnapper on his granddad's knee sipping bitter poured by a master bartender and left to stand till it was just the right temperature. That smooth liquid that warmed the soul and gave such a thick, rich flavour... Canadian larger just wasn't the same and it just reminded him of what he missed about home.

To the Canadian boys who had never been blessed by the brewmaster's finest... they simply didn't know any better. And Will grinned to himself as he set about firing up the oven and unwrapping the pizzas.

* * *

The evening had worn into night, and it was climbing suspiciously close to being considered morning. To that group of friends splayed out around the living room talking about nothing and everything all at the same time, it was like no time had passed at all, they were so lost in their own conversations.

Jared gestured with his beer bottle, "I'd never have guessed..."

"That's 'cause you ain't too bright," Brody quipped back.

Jared shot him a dirty look, and returned to motioning at Andrew who was on the floor propped up against the couch resting at Will's feet, an arm draped over his boyfriend's knee. "I mean you... of all people...not that there is anything wrong with that... but..."

Andrew nodded, "I get what you're saying." He shrugged, "I don't know; I can't explain it..." He glanced up at Will with those crystal-clear blue eyes.

"It's not something you just choose to be," Lisa stated sagely, as she settled into the crook of Brody's arm, "You just know."

Will screwed up his nose and shook his head, "I don't agree with that. I think it's more than just crossed wiring... I think explaining ... love as a genetic disorder is wrong. It's something... more than that."

"Carter's a romantic," Brody summed up with a grin, "or he's going all religious on us."

Will shrugged, "I wouldn't say that," he took off his glasses and rubbed them on the tail of his shirt taking a moment to yawn, "I just don't like thinking it's not... well normal."

Jared nodded, "My point exactly, what we think is okay, and what is socially acceptable..." He shook his head, "Don't take this the wrong way Carter, but Andrew -- why?"

Curious, Lisa leaned forward in her seat, and even Will found himself wondering at the question. Why would Andrew Highmore, Captain Amazing, school hero... why would he be gay? Why would he be so open about it...?

Andrew chewed on the question as he toyed with the label of his beer bottle, "My dad is part of it I guess." He became a bit quiet, "Like when we found the car, the Mustang, it was this pile of rust that had been sitting in a barn for years. We dragged that thing all the way home and my mum took one look at it and she asked him what it was supposed to be." Andrew's eyes sparkled at the memory, "My dad just said it didn't matter what it was, just that it was beautiful and it was his." He chuckled, "Mum thought he'd lost it and left him alone."

Brody grinned and nodded in understanding. Lisa and Will looked at each other, puzzled.

Andrew sighed, seeing that he was going to have to explain. "My dad took such a ribbing over that car, everyone who saw it thought he was insane, but he kept saying that it didn't matter, that they just didn't see what he saw."

Will folded his arms, "Great, I'm a hunk of rusty metal."

"Nope," Andrew said as he glanced up at him, "I saw something in you that I just had to have and to hell with what other people thought."

"Aww, that's so sweet," Brody made a gagging gesture.

Lisa elbowed him in the ribs, "How come you never say stuff like that to me?" she demanded petulantly.

"On that note," Brody said, suddenly looking like he wanted to escape, "I'm going to bed; I guess you guys are all staying here so make yourselves at home."

Lisa threw him a disgusted look, "Great, I have to sleep with you-"

"Hey," Brody responded the wry grin returning to his face, "I didn't make me this attractive..."

Jared sluggishly worked himself to his feet, swaying a little from the alcohol, "s'okay if I just...crash..."

Lisa grinned as she helped him up the stairs towards the guest's bedroom, Brody walking along behind muttering something about Ontario boys not being able to hold their liquor.

Once they had departed, Will stood up and looked towards the stairs. "Well, it is late and..."

Andrew had a faintly amused look on his face as he struggled to stand. "Bedroom?" he inquired, his voice quietening, and Will glanced at him. That wasn't a note of nervousness in his voice? The Andrew Highmore... nervous?

When they were both stretched out on the bed, both still fully-clothed, Will felt Andrew's hands wrap around him and draw him close. And Will smiled, running a hand along the sleeve of Andrew's plain cotton shirt.

"Mmmmm, nice..." Andrew murmured, a smile forming on his lips as his last reserve of energy gave out and he fell asleep.

Will blushed, taking off his glasses and putting them on the nightstand, snuggling into the crook of Andrew's arm as they had done in the car... and he too fell asleep.

* * *

Will awoke feeling Andrew's arms wrapped around him, and for the moment it took for him to realize he wasn't dreaming he was surprised. It was like being back in the car, except there was no sharp cold, or desperation. There was only the warmth of Andrew's body heat, and that all-too-familiar smell of cologne and a faint smell of perspiration.

He lay there a moment staring at the red digits of his alarm clock radio as it ticked steadily towards nine o'clock, just enjoying having Andrew there with him, basking in the memory of the intimacy they had finally been able to share.

Will turned over in the bed and saw Andrew, his chin propped up in his hand, those stunning blue eyes still red from sleep and filled with love as he watched Will look up at him.

"You look so peaceful when you're asleep," Andrew said, his voice raspy and dry, "except for all the snoring..."

"Hey!" Will said, blushing a bright shade of red from the tips of his toes to the roots of his hair, "I don't snore..."

"You do." Andrew said. Rolling his eyes back into his head he imitated a loud nasal snore.

Will hit him lightly on the shoulder, "Stop that! I do not!"

Andrew grinned and rubbed his arm, feigning injury, "Alright... alright so you don't snore..."

Will shook his head, "Damn right I don't... you on the other hand...!"

Andrew arched his eyebrow and put on his customary self-confident look, "Uh-huh... admit it, you liked it..."

Will blushed again, and he buried his face into the pillow to hide it. He felt as though he was grinning like a madman. Andrew waited a few moments then politely rolled him over onto his back, leaning across him to plant a kiss on his lips.

He drew back, a look of disgust twisting his face, "Eeew, morning breath!"

Will's jaw dropped open in shock, "What?" his eyes wide like saucers.

Andrew grinned at him, "I'm joking," he said as he leaned in to finish the kiss...

The bedroom door crashed open and they both jumped as Brody, in typical dramatic fashion bounded into the room.

"Hey boys!" He thumped a white book with broad gold letters on the front cover that looked suspiciously like a Holy Bible, against his other hand. "My dear grandmother said to me before she left this world," the bible punctuating each word as it stuck his hand, "that if yer gonna be laying with somebody, yer gonna be burying somebody..."

Will and Andrew stared at Brody in complete shock, not quite understanding what the raving Frenchman was on about.

"I've taken the liberty," Brody continued, a mad glint in his eye, "of contacting the Reverend Smith of the Anglican faith to be performing the upcoming nuptials..."

Will's jaw dropped open.

"Of course I will be giving Willy boy here away... and dear sweet Monica will make sure Andrew makes it to the church on time!"

Will began to laugh, as Andrew shrugged and wrapped his arm around him, "Morning Brody," Andrew said in his usual calm manner, the smile dancing in his eyes.

Lisa poked her head around the door, taking in the scene with a broad grin on her face, "Brody, I stole one of your shirts..."

Brody rounded on her, a strained look on his face, "Damn girl... that's one of my favourite shirts!" as if he realized that he would never see it again.

She gave him one of her sweetest smiles as she walked into the bedroom wearing the tee-shirt like a nightshirt over top of a pair of his boxers, as if to say 'there is nothing you can do about it so don't even try.' She found the edge of the bed and stretched out, wrapping a long arm around Will as she snuggled in.

"I'll have my eggs over-easy," she said imperiously, ignoring the look of surprise on Brody's face.

"Scrambled for me," Andrew said, exchanging a grin with Lisa. "And I like my bacon crispy..."

Will gave Brody a sweet innocent grin, "Sunny-side-up, bacon juicy and lots of coffee..."

"Be happy to feed you my cookin'..." Brody said with a huge grin.

Lisa's face fell, and Will paled, both remembering how bad of a cook Brody actually was. Will looked at her and she at him, wondering which of them would have to rescue the breakfast from disaster.

"What's all the noise?" Jared said sleepily, struggling into the bedroom, his hair standing straight up in a perfectly-formed mess. He literally looked five minutes reheated from the grave.

Will and Lisa looked at each other and they turned to Jared with a broad smile between them, "Nothing... we just decided you're cooking us breakfast in bed."

"What-?" Jared murmured looking stunned.

"It's either you," Will said, "Or it's him." He pointed to Brody.

Jared murmured a curse, "Okay, okay I'm going..." He struggled to straighten out his sweatpants and adjust his teeshirt, when he stopped and looked at Will, Andrew and Lisa beaming at him from the bed. "...man, I am so in the wrong house..."

Brody shook his head, "When I let Will move in here, I didn't expect him to turn it into a den of evil; how many more people you gonna have in here at the same time?" He shook his head with a wry grin, "I'm gonna grab a smoke and a cup of coffee..."

Copyright © 2010 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Another fun chapter. Those two boys are delightful together. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The only thing I don't like about Brody is him smoking. :puke:  Talk about morning breath. For Lisa's sake I hope she can make him quit. 

Andy and Will are getting comfortable in their relationship. :wub: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..