Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 888 Words
  • 8,072 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Army - 8. Chapter 8

December 5th

 

Will didn't feel like being at school, he felt as though everyone knew what had happened to him. His English teacher, Mister Greenwood, had given him a knowing look in class and simply left him alone. Other students simply whispered behind their hands as they nodded at him in the halls. He felt heavy-hearted as he walked around, so painfully aware that life was never going to be the same for him.

Lisa was keeping a close eye on him, refusing to let him out of her sight. And ordinarily he would have felt smothered by her constant attention, but he needed her there with him. He needed her when he felt the world crashing down upon him. When the stares began to get to him. The whispers too loud for him to ignore. Brody had been, typically, exactly what Will needed; a firm and responsible adult, making decisions that had to be made, sheltering Will as much as he could. And Will was grateful for all the help that was offered to him. It was good to know that when he needed them his friends had stepped up to meet the challenge.

Will had been sitting in the library, the only place he could find some peace, Lisa beside him as she tried to distract him with small talk when Jared joined their table. Will swallowed, anticipating what was to come, and he tensed.

"I heard," Jared said pushing his cap back from his eyes and slouching in his seat, "I'm sorry, man."

"What did you hear?" Lisa asked defensively as Will simply sat there staring across at Jared.

"About your folks," Jared said, "And Jennifer has been shooting her mouth off..."

Will's head fell, "Damn..."

"Look Will," Jared said leaning on the table, "I don't care, you're my friend okay? Whatever you need I'm here."

Will nodded, "Thanks..." he swallowed, "What is she saying?" He didn't want to know the answer, but had to know what was being said.

"She was saying you were kissing some guy in the park," he stopped and looked at Will. "She doesn't know who," he said, realizing what Will was asking.

Lisa nodded, "Thanks Jared."

He gave her a smile, "Least I could do, Dude's my reason for passing biology." Will felt relieved, but that relief turned to trepidation as he ran into Andrew on his way to his locker. Lisa had gone to the washroom, and he had felt confident to slip downstairs alone. He hadn't expected to see Andrew sitting with his back up against Will's locker waiting for him.

He stood for a moment and looked around, glad that they were alone for a moment; the bell rang for the next class but neither made a move to go. And once the rush had finished and they were truly alone and undisturbed Will broke the silence.

"Hi..."

Andrew looked up from his seat on the floor and stood, "I heard what happened..."

Will shook his head, "It's alright, no one knows it was you..."

Andrew shook his head, "I couldn't care less, are you alright?" he rested his hands on Will's shoulders and searched his eyes.

Will's eyes flicked away, "I'll live."

Andrew's cocked his head to look at Will's eyes, "So what now?" he asked nervously.

Will found the strength to look at him, for a moment he stared into those powerful eyes and could see all the way to the soul. He could see himself in them and that terrified him; he swallowed as he sought words finally daring to speak, "I have so much going on in my head right now," he shook his head, "I don't know what to do. Bury all this and hope it goes away I guess."

Andrew's head sank slightly as he swallowed, "I...I don't know if I can."

Will blew out a tight breath as he straightened his back, "Are you ready to go through all...all that I am going through right now?"

"I...don't know..." Andrew admitted.

"Neither am I, but I have to go through it...and if you're seen with me they'll figure it out." It hurt like hell, he felt the knot in his stomach tightening, but what choice did he have? Until everything calmed down, if it ever could, he couldn't deal with his own emotions as well.

"I'm sorry..." Andrew said softly as his eyes searched Will's face.

"Don't be." Will replied, "I'll get this figured out."

Andrew swallowed, "In case I don't get another chance... I love you..."

"I know." Will replied as he pulled from Andrew's grip and blinked back tears as he opened his locker and fished out Andrew's jacket and handed it back.

Andrew held the jacket in his hands as he looked at Will for what felt like the last time. "I don't want to do this..." he said after a moment of silence.

"I don't think either of us is ready for that." Will replied again, all too aware that he was shutting away so much emotion, "maybe one day, but not now."

Andrew nodded before he turned and stumbled away, fighting back tears of his own. Will sank to the floor where Andrew had sat to wait for him and felt like his world had come to an end.

Copyright © 2010 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

So sad, with the bright lights being the support Will's friends are giving him. I will say I'm impressed that Andrew is willing to be outed, even if it's reluctantly. There's hope for both of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

They're being realistic, and Andrew would need to talk with his mother first, in any case. Good to see Jared is a true friend.

Link to comment

By the way, the use of "then" in a sentence not specifying a time is very British, but I am missing the frequent use of "eh" at the end of a sentence which would mark the dialog as Canadien to the US reader who is familiar with the local lingo.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..