Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,268 Words
  • 5,442 Views
  • 33 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Hollow Hills - 3. Chapter 3

Galen

Liam was on duty and slammed with calls the day after I met Josh, so he had to cancel our lunch plans. That was ok with me, since I needed time to process the events of the previous evening. It was obvious how much Josh and I were attracted to each other, but no matter how I felt about him, I wasn’t going to be the ‘other man’. Especially not after what Jamie put me through.

Liam called and informed me that Josh and Alannah had invited us both to dinner at the farm again on Friday. I was thrilled to be seeing Josh again so soon, but at the same time I was apprehensive about it. I was having difficulty thinking of him as just a friend. I wondered if his boyfriend would be there. I kind of hoped he wouldn’t be.

When I arrived at the farm Alannah greeted me with a big hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“It’s great to see you again, lad.”

“You, too.”

Josh was standing at the kitchen island, chopping some green things. He looked up at me and smiled. “Hi, Galen.”

My heart skipped a beat and I shivered hearing his voice. “Hey.”

“I’m making macaroni and cheese. I thought you might want to learn how to make it.”

I couldn’t stop the smile that spread over my face. “I’d love to.”

Liam arrived then and after greeting everyone, retreated to the living room with Alannah. Josh handed me a grater and five different kinds of cheese. I started grating the cheese as he chopped vegetables. I was in awe of the speed and dexterity he used while wielding his knife. If I attempted that I’d lose my fingers.

He scooped up the veggies and tossed them into a sizzling hot pan. He flipped them expertly and I stopped what I was doing to watch. Everything he did fascinated me.

“If I tried to do that it would end up all over the place,” I said, laughing.

“It takes a lot of practice.” He motioned me over. “Give it a try.”

I looked at him like he was nuts. “I don’t think you want me anywhere near a stove.”

He laughed. “You have to tip the pan down, then forward and up quickly.” He demonstrated a perfect flip of the veggies.

I attempted to do the same thing, but ended up flinging the veggies all over the stove. I grimaced. “See? I’m hopeless in the kitchen.”

“Nah, it just takes practice. Here.” He put his hand over mine on the pan and demonstrated again.

After feeling his hand on mine, the last thing on my mind was flipping vegetables. It took several more attempts before I managed to leave anything in the pan.

Josh bumped my shoulder. “See? I knew you could do it.”

I smiled and leaned into him. He cleared his throat and set the pan with the sautéed veggies aside.

“I’m going to put the macaroni in the water, then I’ll show you how to make the cheese sauce.”

I finished grating the cheese, then Josh showed me how to make something called a roux, which we added milk and the grated cheese to. After draining the macaroni, he had me dump the cheese mixture over it and stir it all together. Then I dumped it into a big casserole dish and we added a bread crumb topping before tossing it in the oven with a meatloaf that Josh had already prepared.

“So mac and cheese and meatloaf, huh?” I asked as we sat at the kitchen table.

Josh slid a plate of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies toward me. I took one after taking a sip of the coffee Josh just poured me.

“Sorry it’s not as fancy as last week’s dinner. I don’t do that all the time.”

I laughed. “Are you kidding me? Mac and cheese and meatloaf are my favorite.” From the look on his face, I had a feeling he already knew that. I’d have to have a talk with Liam.

I took a bite of the cookie and moaned. It was a bite of heaven.

“I’m not a pastry chef, so I hope they came out ok.”

“Oh my God… Josh, these are incredible! Is there anything you can’t cook?”

He laughed. “Not really, but I specialize in French cuisine. Apparently I’m pretty passable at Irish dishes, too.” He glanced at the living room.

“Passable. Right. Just passable.” I rolled my eyes.

Alannah and Liam walked into the kitchen and joined us at the table, each taking a cookie.

“How’s the cooking lesson going, cuz?”

“Great. I learned how to flip things in a pan without spilling them all over the place.”

Liam laughed. “So are you going to cook for me the next time I come over for lunch?”

I snorted. “Sure. I’ll make you some chicken.”

He grimaced. “Oh hell, no!”

“We haven’t progressed to chicken yet. I think we’d better stick to things that won’t send people to the hospital.”

I put my hand on my heart. “Et tu, Joshua?”

“Caroline’s off this afternoon so I’m going to go feed the horses before we eat. Do you want to give me a hand, Liam?” Alannah asked.

“Sure.”

“Dinner will be ready in about forty-five minutes,” said Josh.

Liam and Alannah headed to the barn while Josh and I prepared the salads. He showed me how to make a honey mustard dressing.

Quite a few dishes had accumulated in the sink, so after I finished the dressing I started to wash them.

“You don’t have to do that,” Josh said.

“I know. I don’t mind. You’ve taught me so much, it’s the least I can do.”

He frowned. “You’re our guest. Alannah and I can do them.”

“I really don’t mind, Josh.”

He grabbed the pan I was washing out of my hands and set it back down in the sink. “Guests don’t do dishes,” he said harshly.

I turned to face him, frowning. He was standing so close I could feel his breath. “Is all I am to you a guest?” I whispered.

He looked into my eyes and shook his head almost imperceptibly. I have no idea who made the first move; I think we moved as one, because the next thing I knew we were embracing and kissing. Our tongues dueled as our hands roamed all over the other’s body. I felt his hands underneath my shirt and moaned at the contact on my bare flesh. I cupped his ass, pulling him as close to me as I could. His desire pressed into mine and I gasped. I walked forward as we made out, guiding him to the living room where we collapsed in a heap on the couch, me on top of him. I reached down between his legs and felt his erection straining in his jeans. I wanted nothing more than to liberate it. I kissed my way down his neck and had just started my descent toward my prize when we heard voices in the kitchen. We flew apart, tucking our shirts in as Alannah and Liam entered the living room. They looked at us, then at each other, raising their eyebrows.

“I better check on the food,” said Josh, as he scurried into the kitchen.

I avoided the gaze of the two people staring at me and rushed into the bathroom that was right off the living room. I splashed cold water on my face and willed my dick to go down.

When I returned to the kitchen the salads were set on the table and the mac and cheese and meatloaf were cooling on the island.

I sat down, avoiding everyone’s inquisitive stares. “So cuz, any interesting traffic stops lately?”

“As a matter of fact, yes.”

“Oh?”

“I had a guy offer me a blowjob if I didn’t give him a speeding ticket.”

I coughed as my drink went down the wrong way. I laughed and smirked. “Welcome to the dark side, cuz! So how was it?”

He laughed. “Sorry to disappoint you, little bro. He wasn’t my type.”

Josh and Alannah looked at him incredulously.

“Not butch enough for you, huh?”

“Is there something you haven’t told us, love?” Alannah asked.

I laughed at the look of consternation on Liam’s face. “When we were teenagers we’d hang out at the mall and people watch. I’d point out guys for him and he’d point out girls for me. It became a running joke.”

“He always picked the real manly men for me and I’d pick out the girliest girls for him.”

Alannah laughed and elbowed me. “So I’m not your type then?”

I put my arm around her and drew her into a side hug. “If I was straight, this guy would have some serious competition.”

Liam glared at me as I kissed her cheek, producing a giggle from the petite blonde.

“So you guys were pretty close growing up?” Josh asked.

“We pretty much grew up as brothers. I was raised by my aunt and uncle ever since I was thirteen.”

“What happened to your parents?” Alannah asked around a bite of salad.

I scowled. “Their faggot son happened.”

“Galen!” Liam looked mortified.

Josh and Alannah stared at me.

“Sorry. I was kicked out after they found out I was gay.”

“Bloody hell. I don’t think I’ll ever understand some people.” Alannah said, shaking her head. “Thirteen seems awfully young. I take it you didn’t tell them.”

I snorted. “No, I sure as hell didn’t.” I took a drink of my iced tea. “My dad walked in on Jimmy Johnson and me kissing half-naked in my bed. He didn’t take it well.” I paused, setting my glass down. “But you guys don’t want to hear about my asshole parents.”

Josh stood and transferred the meatloaf and mac and cheese from the island to the table. We passed our plates to him in turn and he served us generous portions of each.

“I think I want to come here for dinner every night. This is amazing!” I had no idea it was possible to love my favorite foods even more.

“You’re welcome any time,” Alannah said.

“Thanks,” I said. I took another spoonful of mac and cheese. If I took her at her word I’d be over every day. And not just for the food.

“You know it’s good; Galen never takes seconds.” Liam laughed.

“I can’t help it if I don’t have a big appetite.”

“Well you’d never know it by how you’re chowing down this stuff.” Liam smirked.

“At least I don’t have your gut.” I winked at him.

He patted his belly. “I don’t have a gut. This is pure muscle, baby.”

I rolled my eyes. “Muscle. Right.” I took a bite of meatloaf ambrosia. “How did you come up with the name of the farm? The Hollow Hills is an unusual name.”

“It’s a bit of folklore from the legend of King Arthur. It’s been said that he sleeps in the Hollow Hills with the Knights of the Round Table after his time on Earth was finished. The Hills are considered a doorway into another world,” Josh said. “When I started leasing the farm, I found myself thinking of it as my refuge and it really was a whole other world from the one I left in France.”

“Wow. You lived in France?”

“Yeah. I’ve spent a lot of time in Europe. I lived in France for several years after –“He stopped abruptly, frowning. “I moved here fifteen years ago when I got the job at the magazine.”

“That’s a bit of a change. What prompted you to leave France?” I asked.

“I had a relationship end and couldn’t bring myself to stay.”

“I’m sorry,” I said. “Do you miss it there?”

“No. I like it here. I really missed being with horses.”

“So you’re a rider, too? You’ll have to take me riding sometime.” I grinned at the thought of combining Josh and horses. I imagined us riding into the sunset, me sitting behind him with my arms wrapped around him.

Josh stood up abruptly, almost overturning his chair, and left the kitchen. I stared after him, chagrined. Alannah placed her hand on my shoulder.

“He doesn’t ride anymore, love. He just teaches,” she said.

“I didn’t know. Why doesn’t he ride anymore?”

“He refuses to talk about it.”

“Oh. I didn’t mean to bring up any painful memories.”

“It’s alright.” She paused and appeared to be debating her next words. “Josh is a very private person. It takes a lot for him to open up to someone.”

Josh returned to the table then and sat down. He looked at me. “Galen, I’d be more than happy to teach you how to ride, but I won’t go riding with you.”

I smiled at him. “I’d like that.”

We had homemade brownies with ice cream for dessert. I was slightly disappointed to find that Josh hadn’t made the ice cream himself.

“So when do I get to meet your boyfriend?” I asked, looking at Josh.

It was impossible to miss the looks that crossed both Liam and Alannah’s faces. Josh scowled at them and played with his ice cream.

“He’s pretty busy. He’s out of town for work a lot.” He looked at his dish, avoiding my gaze.

I opened my mouth to ask another question, but Liam gave me a warning look and shook his head.

I made a mental note to have a talk with Liam about Josh’s mystery boyfriend.

A huge thank-you to Cole and Lisa for their help with this chapter. Please 'like' or, even better, review and let me know how you like the story so far. Thanks so much for reading!
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 63
  • Love 3
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Galen said in one breath that he didn't want to be the other man and then he has his tongue in Josh's mouth and fall on top of him.

Josh likes horse but won't ride them. Strange for both men.

Galen should be feeling the red flags but he seem to be ignoring them. His cousin needs to give him heads up on this busy boyfriend of Josh.

I didn't kiss him and my Spider sense is tingling.

I'm confused but will keep reading. I can't wait to meet this boyfriend.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/05/2015 01:35 PM, keyisfake said:
Galen said in one breath that he didn't want to be the other man and then he has his tongue in Josh's mouth and fall on top of him.

Josh likes horse but won't ride them. Strange for both men.

Galen should be feeling the red flags but he seem to be ignoring them. His cousin needs to give him heads up on this busy boyfriend of Josh.

I didn't kiss him and my Spider sense is tingling.

I'm confused but will keep reading. I can't wait to meet this boyfriend.

You'll learn more about Josh's boyfriend in the next chapter. Galen is definitely struggling with his attraction to Josh. It will be a while, but at some point you'll learn why Josh doesn't ride anymore. Thanks for the review!
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Josh's mysteriousness and Galen's extreme openness make for an interesting contrast. And another awesome meal! (I was also a little disappointed that Josh didn't make his own ice cream; it's not that hard.) :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

For two people with troubled (?) pasts, they sure move fast. Or maybe it's because of that. So many secrets, so much hidden pain. I'm really intrigued by what has happened to them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Galen had better be careful. He is very attracted to Josh, and Josh to him apparently, but he could end up hating himself if he lets himself become the "other man". I am anxious to find out more about this mysterious boyfriend of Josh's. There seems to be a story there (and not a good one if my intuition is correct)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I know I've been away, and am still playing catch-up, but how the hell did I miss this delicious, wickedly good story?!?!? Interesting characters, great flowing believeable dialogue, concise descriptions of places and events....I'm really glad I found this one!

The mystery of Josh, his past and his boyfriend are certain to draw Galen in--Galen strikes me as both deeply intelligent and naturally curious--and with a big heart on his sleeve. I suspect between his involvement, and what his cousin and cousin's GF provide, it's gonna prove to make an interesting story.

Really looking forward to the next chapter(s)!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/05/2015 02:29 PM, impunity said:
Josh's mysteriousness and Galen's extreme openness make for an interesting contrast. And another awesome meal! (I was also a little disappointed that Josh didn't make his own ice cream; it's not that hard.) :)
I want to live with Josh just so he can cook for me...lol Galen and Josh are opposites in a lot of ways. We'll see how that ends up playing out. Thanks for the review. :)
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/05/2015 06:09 PM, Puppilull said:
For two people with troubled (?) pasts, they sure move fast. Or maybe it's because of that. So many secrets, so much hidden pain. I'm really intrigued by what has happened to them.
Their pasts will slowly be revealed throughout the story. There is a lot to tell, but all in due time! :X Thanks for reading and reviewing! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/05/2015 10:58 PM, LitLover said:
Galen had better be careful. He is very attracted to Josh, and Josh to him apparently, but he could end up hating himself if he lets himself become the "other man". I am anxious to find out more about this mysterious boyfriend of Josh's. There seems to be a story there (and not a good one if my intuition is correct)
You will find out more about Josh's boyfriend and their relationship in the next chapter. You have good intuition. We'll see where it all leads! Thanks for the review! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2015 12:23 AM, Robert Rex said:
I know I've been away, and am still playing catch-up, but how the hell did I miss this delicious, wickedly good story?!?!? Interesting characters, great flowing believeable dialogue, concise descriptions of places and events....I'm really glad I found this one!

The mystery of Josh, his past and his boyfriend are certain to draw Galen in--Galen strikes me as both deeply intelligent and naturally curious--and with a big heart on his sleeve. I suspect between his involvement, and what his cousin and cousin's GF provide, it's gonna prove to make an interesting story.

Really looking forward to the next chapter(s)!

This is just the beginning. There's a lot more story to come. I'm working on Chapter 11 and am not even at the halfway point. Your assessment of Galen is spot on. :) Just one clarification, Alannah and Liam aren't dating...yet. We'll see if he manages to pull his head out of his ass and ask her out. ;) Thank you so much for your kind words. Your review made my morning. :)
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I almost would have assumed there wasn't really a boyfriend b/c of the look that Liam and Alannah gave each other. but, your answers to comments implies there is one. Like everyone else I wanna know the story there and with why he doesn't ride. What gets me is Galen's ability to even make out with Josh when his life was just broken up by cheating. I know he's really attracted to Josh, but does he want to be doing to someone else what was just done to him? I'm surprised at that honestly. He seems like a genuinely caring person. Josh strikes me as intensely moody. His extreme reactions to small things throws me each time. I'm surprised at Liam. Why on earth would he not ask out this lady who he adores, for years? What is he afraid of? I like Liam and how protective he is of Galen. I wonder if he's worried about his interactions with Josh? Lookin' forward to more!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2015 05:52 PM, Cannd said:
I almost would have assumed there wasn't really a boyfriend b/c of the look that Liam and Alannah gave each other. but, your answers to comments implies there is one. Like everyone else I wanna know the story there and with why he doesn't ride. What gets me is Galen's ability to even make out with Josh when his life was just broken up by cheating. I know he's really attracted to Josh, but does he want to be doing to someone else what was just done to him? I'm surprised at that honestly. He seems like a genuinely caring person. Josh strikes me as intensely moody. His extreme reactions to small things throws me each time. I'm surprised at Liam. Why on earth would he not ask out this lady who he adores, for years? What is he afraid of? I like Liam and how protective he is of Galen. I wonder if he's worried about his interactions with Josh? Lookin' forward to more!
Sorry for the late reply. I somehow missed this last week. There is definitely a boyfriend. You'll learn more about him next chapter along with the reason for the look. The reason Josh doesn't ride anymore will be revealed, but not for a while. You make some really good points. I don't want to reveal too much, but as the story goes on you'll get a clearer picture of both Galen and Josh's thought processes. Thanks for leaving such a thoughtful review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

The story intrigues me but I'm not keen on how Galen is behaving... I don't understand him at all. He got cheated on and he's doing the same thing to someone else. I find it hard to like that about him. How far would he have gone with another guys boyfriend if they hadn't been interrupted? He and Liam both need to get there heads out of their asses. Cheers... Gary

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/02/2015 01:41 PM, Headstall said:
The story intrigues me but I'm not keen on how Galen is behaving... I don't understand him at all. He got cheated on and he's doing the same thing to someone else. I find it hard to like that about him. How far would he have gone with another guys boyfriend if they hadn't been interrupted? He and Liam both need to get there heads out of their asses. Cheers... Gary
You are right; Galen and Liam both need to get their heads out of their asses. Galen and Josh are both not behaving themselves. We'll see what happens...;) Thanks for the review, Gary.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

…oh fudge…could that Josh be any more cute/cruel: “I’m making macaroni and cheese. I thought you might want to learn how to make it.” That tells our hapless hero that Josh has been thinking about him…in it's way, it's sweet, but it's also meant to point out the fact that they did hit if off last time, and that's got to sting Galen. He was not going to be 'the other man,' so then why is Josh making it so hard on him..?

 

I wish I could find this chapter comforting, but there is something about Galen's crudeness (using the f-word to label himself in mixed Gay and straight company – something I've never seen Gay folks do…), and the flashpoint temper that Josh exhibited (speaking 'harshly' to Galen at the sink, and then rising from the table because a simple question had been asked) makes me think that maybe theses two should stay away from each other. Despite the chemistry – or maybe because of it, lol – Galen and Josh might be explosive together. I hope not.

 

This is a very good chapter, but it makes me a bit wary about what may be coming.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/08/2015 09:28 AM, AC Benus said:
…oh fudge…could that Josh be any more cute/cruel: “I’m making macaroni and cheese. I thought you might want to learn how to make it.” That tells our hapless hero that Josh has been thinking about him…in it's way, it's sweet, but it's also meant to point out the fact that they did hit if off last time, and that's got to sting Galen. He was not going to be 'the other man,' so then why is Josh making it so hard on him..?

 

I wish I could find this chapter comforting, but there is something about Galen's crudeness (using the f-word to label himself in mixed Gay and straight company – something I've never seen Gay folks do…), and the flashpoint temper that Josh exhibited (speaking 'harshly' to Galen at the sink, and then rising from the table because a simple question had been asked) makes me think that maybe theses two should stay away from each other. Despite the chemistry – or maybe because of it, lol – Galen and Josh might be explosive together. I hope not.

 

This is a very good chapter, but it makes me a bit wary about what may be coming.

Josh has his issues, but he's really a sweetheart at heart. He is thinking of Galen and is expressing it in the only way he knows how. We'll see where their chemistry leads. Thanks for another great review, AC. :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Lyssa said:

Now I am really curious, what to Josh`s boyfriend happened. :read:

:X;)  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well what can I say this story just Rocks Val. Its so well written and just great I want more .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
29 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Well what can I say this story just Rocks Val. Its so well written and just great I want more .

Thanks so much :):hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The mystery thickens!  I will say that for someone who doesn't want to be "the other man", Galen sure has no qualms about kissing making out with Joshua whenever they are alone together.  Many people (myself included) consider that cheating.  

 

Josh's mac and cheese sounds very tasty!  I have an aunt that makes incredible mac and cheese every Thanksgiving and it sounds like her recipe is very similar to Joshua's.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
8 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

The mystery thickens!  I will say that for someone who doesn't want to be "the other man", Galen sure has no qualms about kissing making out with Joshua whenever they are alone together.  Many people (myself included) consider that cheating.  

 

Josh's mac and cheese sounds very tasty!  I have an aunt that makes incredible mac and cheese every Thanksgiving and it sounds like her recipe is very similar to Joshua's.  

I agree with you.  I consider it cheating also.  These guys aren't perfect, that's for sure.  I love mac and cheese!  Josh and Galen's taste in food runs very similar to my own. ;)  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

we moved as one, because the next thing I knew we were embracing and kissing. Our tongues dueled as our hands roamed all over the other’s body. I felt his hands

Okay what happened with not wanting to be the other man? :fight: Not cool Galen.

And now I'm hungry.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, aditus said:

we moved as one, because the next thing I knew we were embracing and kissing. Our tongues dueled as our hands roamed all over the other’s body. I felt his hands

Okay what happened with not wanting to be the other man? :fight: Not cool Galen.

And now I'm hungry.

 

Nope.  Not cool at all.  *throws wolfie a veggie burger* 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The dialogue is so easy to follow and like the story is flowing.  Josh seems a bit broken. Someone who can train horses and riders, but won't ride himself.  It sounds that he fled France more that relocated for a job.  Now he has a mystery boyfriend that spends a lot of time traveling and not at home with Josh.  Galen may have been hurt, but he definitely is recovering fast.  However, I would agree with the other comments made that Galen is hypocritical in his behaviours towards Josh. Thanks for an interesting chapter, Valkyrie.  🎢 :yes:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..