Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 901 Words
  • 2,427 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 27. Prompt 336

First line : Oh God. This isn't what it looks like!

“Oh God. This isn’t what it looks like!” I dropped the end of the worn, green recliner in surprise. Anthony stood in our front doorway, glaring at me.

“Why are you home so early, sweetheart?” I asked.

“Don’t ‘sweetheart’ me! What the hell are you doing?”

“I’m just moving it, babe, I swear!”

“Yeah, right. Moving it to the trash!” He sneezed and then blew his nose noisily. “I guess it’s a good thing I caught this damn cold.”

He brushed past me and tried to maneuver the chair back to its former position.

“Hun…”

He ignored me.

“Hun…”

“Don’t just stand there… give me a hand!”

“Would you please stop so I can explain?”

“Explain what? How much you’ve always hated this chair? I already know that!”

That damn chair had been a bone of contention between us ever since we bought the house two years ago. Having it in his apartment was one thing… having it in our living room among our beautiful brand-new furniture was another.

The chair in question had belonged to Anthony’s grandfather. It was the old man’s favorite chair and Anthony had many fond memories of sitting at the foot of the chair while his grandfather read to him, or being comforted in his arms when he was tired and cranky or had scraped his knee. It was also where his grandfather sat during numerous long talks or games of ‘Scrabble’. That chair was the only thing from his grandfather’s estate that Anthony insisted on having.

I secretly admired his devotion to his grandfather, but man was that chair ugly!

“C’mon, Ant. Put the chair down and come to bed. You look like shit.”

“Gee, thanks, hun. Stab me in the back and then insult me. Nice.” He coughed and groaned.

“I’m not throwing it out. Do you really think I’d do that to you?”

He narrowed his eyes at me and sneezed. I reached for his arm. “C’mon. Let’s get you some medicine and into bed.”

“If you throw that chair out, I’m leaving you.”

I rolled my eyes. “I already told you it’s not what it looks like.”

Anthony settled into bed as I handed him the NyQuil. He fell asleep almost immediately. I sighed and shook my head. Of all the days he had to come home early!

Two years ago we moved into a four bedroom, two bath colonial house in the suburbs. It was a lot more space than the two of us needed, but we got a heck of a deal and couldn’t pass it up. We set up one of the extra rooms as a spare room for guests and one as a make-shift gym. The third we were using for storage. Anthony wanted to turn it into a home office, but we hadn’t been able to find the time or money to do so.

About a month ago, I received an unexpected bonus at work and didn’t tell Anthony. I met with a contractor and developed a plan for a home office/man cave anyone would be jealous of. The room was a decent size, almost as big as our master bedroom. It faced our backyard and I had the smaller windows replaced with a big bay window. I planned on hanging a bird feeder in front of it since Ant loved watching birds in our garden. I had a gas fireplace installed at the far end of the room with recessed bookshelves on either side and a large-screen TV above the mantle. On the opposite end of the room were more built-in bookcases behind a large oak desk and brand-new desktop computer.

The contractors had completed the finishing touches today, and all that remained was the little things, like putting Ant’s books on the shelves and the framed picture of him sitting on his grandpa’s lap in that chair as he read to him on his desk. The final touch was moving the chair in between the fireplace and the bay window. I stood back, surveying the results. It was stunning.

“Patrick!” Anthony yelled, followed by wracking coughs. I cringed.

“Patrick, where the fuck are you? I meant it when I said –“ he stopped abruptly as I stepped out of the room and closed the door.

“Does that chair really mean that much more to you than I do?” I asked softly.

He exhaled slowly, struggling not to cough. “Of course not, but it really hurts knowing that you value something that’s so precious to me so little.”

“Wow. Is that really what you think?” I wiped my eyes and then opened the door. “I know exactly how special that chair is to you. Which is why I made it the central focus of your new den. I planned the colors around it and everything. I told you it wasn’t what it looked like. Happy Anniversary, Anthony.” I turned away so he wouldn’t see me crying.

He grabbed my shoulders and spun me around, crushing me in a giant bear hug. I could feel his body shaking with silent sobs. I was shocked. My stoic partner never cried. He took my face in both his hands and looked deep into my eyes. “I’m so sorry, Patrick. I should have known better. I love it and I love you so much. Forgive me?”

“There’s nothing to forgive,” I said and then kissed him deeply.

Thanks for reading! Please review and let me know how you liked it. :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Jumping to conclusion a bit fast, Ant dear :P Nice home office he got :)

Am I the only one thinking of "Frasier's dad" :lol: Where is Eddie the dog ?? Nice prompt

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/10/2014 08:05 AM, Slytherin said:
Jumping to conclusion a bit fast, Ant dear :P Nice home office he got :)

Am I the only one thinking of "Frasier's dad" :lol: Where is Eddie the dog ?? Nice prompt

LOL I totally forgot about Frasier! I'm glad you liked it :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/10/2014 09:54 AM, Cole Matthews said:
I love mistaken surprises like this. Great job Val! Two thumbs up
Thanks, Cole :)
Link to comment

Oh, I don't know . . . I think there's a lot to forgive on both sides. Sneaking, secret plans, jumping to conclusions and . . . ugly recliners - a lot of forgiving is needed!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/11/2014 05:11 AM, Ron said:
Oh, I don't know . . . I think there's a lot to forgive on both sides. Sneaking, secret plans, jumping to conclusions and . . . ugly recliners - a lot of forgiving is needed!
;) I've been working on a lot of depressing stories lately and needed a counterpoint. I think I swung a bit too far on the sappy side... LOL
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/21/2014 06:58 PM, Suvitar said:
Such a sweet little story and the ending was perfect :hug:
Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it :)
Link to comment

This made me laugh. But what on earth was he doing moving furniture by himself ! That's the way to get a bad back. LOL

Seriously, it was sweet and I like the use of the prompt in ways other than the obvious.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/07/2014 08:11 AM, Timothy M. said:
This made me laugh. But what on earth was he doing moving furniture by himself ! That's the way to get a bad back. LOL

Seriously, it was sweet and I like the use of the prompt in ways other than the obvious.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..