Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,400 Words
  • 3,629 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 Prompt Responses - 3. Prompt 305

Prompt 305 – List of Words
Use the following words in a story – a gold crown, a broken cane, a sexy calendar, a new book, and a falcon.

Aaron cursed and started hobbling along the sidewalk faster as the rain started coming down in buckets. There wasn’t much he could do to protect himself from the deluge. Even though he was released from the rehab center a few weeks ago, it still took all his inherent coordination to walk with his new cane. Forget about adding something complicated like holding an umbrella into the mix. Aaron swept his rain-soaked hair to the side as his eyes managed to focus on the lights from a little shop up ahead. He limped forward with the futile desperateness of someone who’s already soaking wet trying to get out of the rain.

Aaron opened the door and entered the little coffee shop/bookstore a bit too quickly for both the weather and his current physical condition. His cane slipped in a puddle on the floor and his momentum carried him into the nearest display shelf. Aaron heard a sickening “crack”, then put his arms up to try and shield his face from the onslaught of new book releases cascading over him as he fell to the floor. When it was over, Aaron tried to gingerly sit up, only to find his face covered with a sexy calendar. Damn. Why couldn’t it have been a sexy men calendar? Aaron grimaced and tossed it aside. He turned his head as he heard an amused chuckle. The store’s proprietor was standing over him, checking him out. “Are you ok?” he asked.

Aaron groaned. Why did the man have to be hot? “I think I broke something. I heard a crack.”

The sandy-haired clerk reached over him and held up a splintered half of his cane. “I think this is what you heard.” He reached out a hand. “I’m Sam.”

“Aaron.” He grasped Sam’s hand and gave a small whimper as the other man helped him to his feet.

“Are you ok?” Sam asked with a look of concern on his face.

Aaron tried to mask the pain he was feeling in his injured leg. “I’m fine. I’ve only been out of rehab for a couple weeks and I guess I pushed myself a bit too hard.” He limped over to a table, sat down, and rubbed his throbbing leg.

“Would you like a cup of coffee or tea?”

“Coffee would be great, thanks. Black.”

Sam smiled at him warmly. “A man after my own heart.” He walked over to the small kitchen, leaving Aaron to look at his back quizzically. Sam returned with two cups of black coffee.

Aaron took the cup from Sam and noticed a tattoo on the inside of the smaller man’s arm. “Is that a falcon?”

Sam looked at the tattoo absently. “Yes. I find them fascinating.”

The hot coffee tasted good to Aaron. As the warmth of the coffee began to permeate his body and he started to come down from the adrenaline high of his dash into the store and side trip into the display case, he started to shiver. He was soaked to the bone and the chill was seeping into his still-healing body. He had to set his coffee cup down because the liquid was threatening to spill from the increasing tremors coursing through his body.

Sam looked at Aaron and realized the poor man had a decidedly blue hue and was starting to shake uncontrollably. “Oh my God. You must be freezing! C’mon. I’ll find you some dry clothes.” He stood up and walked over to the front door, turning the Open sign over and locking the door. He walked toward the back of the store, stopping when he realized that Aaron hadn’t moved. “I live upstairs. My clothes are too small for you, but I’m sure I can find something of Alex’s that will fit you.”

Aaron remained seated, staring into his coffee cup. He unconsciously shifted his bum leg. When he looked up again, Sam stood in front of him with a sympathetic look on his face. He wordlessly held out his hand and lent him his support as they made their way through the back of the store and up the stairs to Sam’s apartment. Aaron was breathing hard with exertion and now looked more pale than blue. Sam helped him to the couch, where Aaron collapsed. Aaron was berating himself for leaving the house that day. It had been three months since his accident. This was the first time he left the house on his own since being released from the hospital and subsequent rehab. He couldn’t take being cooped up inside any longer.

Sam disappeared down the hallway and returned a few minutes later holding an old crutch. “I injured my knee last year and never got around to getting rid of these. Good thing, huh?” He handed the crutch to Aaron. “I put a towel and some clothes that should fit you on the counter in the bathroom. Feel free to take a shower. When I get that chilled it’s the only thing that warms me up.” He looked at Aaron with an unreadable expression on his face. “Is there someone I can call to pick you up?”

Aaron looked at Sam sadly. “No. There’s no one. I don’t live that far from here. I needed to get out of the house for a while. I was going stir crazy. I guess I should have looked at the weather report first.”

Sam chuckled. “Ok. Well, go get warmed up and I’ll put on a pot of coffee.”

The hot shower was just what Aaron needed. He felt the warmth return to his bones and the throbbing in his leg was lessened by the cascading warmth. He also felt another type of warmth for his kind and very good-looking host. Aaron shook his head, feeling foolish and reminding himself that he was putting on Alex’s clothes. He returned to the couch as Sam brought over two fresh cups of black coffee. Aaron noticed the gold crown on the cover of the DVD case on the coffee table. “I love Game of Thrones! Have you watched Season Three yet?”

Sam almost choked on his coffee. “No, I haven’t! Please don’t tell me any spoilers!”

Aaron laughed his first real laugh since the accident. “I promise, no spoilers.”

The conversation and the coffee flowed easily for hours. The two men talked about everything from who was hotter: Jon Snow or Jamie Lannister, to favorite books/movies/music, business at the bookstore, and childhood memories. Both Aaron and Sam couldn’t remember ever having felt such an instant connection with another person. Sam’s curiosity finally got the better of him and he asked Aaron about his accident.

“Three months ago I was broadsided by a drunk driver. I was in a coma for a couple weeks and spent a month in the hospital and another month and a half in a rehab facility. I’ve only been out of rehab for a couple weeks. It’s been a difficult road since I’m fairly new to the area and didn’t have much of a chance to meet people before the accident. I don’t have any contact with my family and my friends are all about a thousand miles away. I dated Steve for about a month prior to my accident, but honestly, we wouldn’t have lasted even if this hadn’t happened.” Aaron looked up at Sam and smiled. “You’re the first real friend I’ve made since I moved here.” He took another sip of coffee and decided to ask the question that had been on his mind all night. “So what time is Alex getting home?”

Sam’s face darkened and he looked away from Aaron. “He’s never coming home again.” He whispered.

Aaron immediately regretted asking the question. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to dredge up painful memories.”

Sam smiled wanly at the man sitting next to him. “It’s ok. I can’t keep Alex’s memory locked away inside. It wouldn’t be fair to him.” Sam sighed deeply. “Two years ago Alex was broadsided by a drunk driver, too. He didn’t make it.” He stared into his hands, fighting back the wetness threatening to spill from his eyes. He felt Aaron take one of his hands in his and give it a squeeze. Sam looked up and directly into Aaron’s bright green eyes. Neither one of them looked away or let go of the other’s hand.

Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator
On 02/24/2014 11:31 AM, comicfan said:
Sad take on the prompt, but a very nice story.
Aaron and Sam have both had their share of tragedy, that's for sure. I'd like to think that things are looking up for them now that they've found each other. Thanks for your review :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

And yet another good prompt story. You're on a roll. If 'wetness' near the end meant anything, it was tears, and attempts to say otherwise can come off. a little 'off'. Sometimes it is best to call a thing exactly what it is and leave well enough alone. Niggling aside, it was a nice tale.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/25/2014 02:43 AM, Ron said:
And yet another good prompt story. You're on a roll. If 'wetness' near the end meant anything, it was tears, and attempts to say otherwise can come off. a little 'off'. Sometimes it is best to call a thing exactly what it is and leave well enough alone. Niggling aside, it was a nice tale.
Thanks, Ron. :) I am glad you are enjoying my prompt stories. I'm having a great time writing them. I appreciate the "niggling". You are right that sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. ;)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/31/2014 03:08 PM, Suvitar said:
Lovely story! Hopefully a new beginning to them both and together :)
Thanks :) My new story is based on this prompt. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/24/2014 09:04 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Very interesting characters with such a rich promise of a back story!

Great job! I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks :) This is my favorite of my prompt responses so far and I absolutely adore all these characters, especially Sam. I've been wanting to tell Sam and Alex's story for a while and I'm so glad it's finally coming together.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Rain. Pain. Cold. Warm. Hope :) I liked this prompt and can't wait to read your story based on this prompt :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/05/2014 08:33 AM, Slytherin said:
Rain. Pain. Cold. Warm. Hope :) I liked this prompt and can't wait to read your story based on this prompt :D
I love your five-word summary of this prompt! Perfect! I'm glad you liked the prompt and I hope you come to adore Sam and Alex as much as I do. Thanks for the review!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

An awesome story, Val! I came across this after reading Alex, and both stories made me cry. I hope we hear more of Aaron and Sam!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/25/2015 06:22 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

An awesome story, Val! I came across this after reading Alex, and both stories made me cry. I hope we hear more of Aaron and Sam!

Thanks, CG. :hug: I've been toying with the possibility of telling Aaron's story after I finish The Hollow Hills. So you never know...these guys may just pop up again. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Jeez, I hope to God it wasn't the same drunk driver from Alex's accident!

 

Now we know more about Aaron. I'd love to read his story after THH. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/06/2015 01:26 PM, Lisa said:

Jeez, I hope to God it wasn't the same drunk driver from Alex's accident!

 

Now we know more about Aaron. I'd love to read his story after THH. :)

I can't imagine it's the same driver. The thought never occurred to me. That'd be a heck of a coincidence! Good idea about writing Aaron's story. I really like him. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, pickuptoy said:

Great story. Would love to hear more about these two!

 

Thanks!  My story "Alex's Legacy" is the story of Sam and Alex and also features Aaron.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Having read "Alex's Legacy" I knew I had to read this prompt story.  I do hope that these two will also have a story of their own someday.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
3 hours ago, raven1 said:

Having read "Alex's Legacy" I knew I had to read this prompt story.  I do hope that these two will also have a story of their own someday.  

I don't have any plans to revisit these two, but I guess you never know.  This is one of my favorite prompt responses.  Thanks for reading and checking out some of my earliest writing :) 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..