Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,073 Words
  • 3,817 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Alex's Legacy - 3. Chapter 3

I yawned as I opened the Nook the next day. I desperately needed a cup of coffee and some aspirin. My muscles were sore after the hike; I wasn’t used to that much physical activity. I’d become so wrapped up in the planning of the bookstore that I had stopped taking my daily run. I supposed I’d have to start again. I didn’t relish the thought of getting up earlier, but if it kept me in shape for Alex, then I’d jog at 3:00am if I had to.

The door chimes rattled as I was making myself a cup of espresso. Regular coffee wasn’t going to cut it today. Allison helped herself to a pastry as I made her a caramel latte.

“So…” she said around a mouthful of apple strudel.

“So…”

“C’mon, Sammy! I stopped by on my way to work so I could hear about your hot date. Don’t make me late.”

I took a sip of my espresso and tried to hide the grin that was creeping across my face as I thought about the hike yesterday.

Allison squealed. “Oooooooo! It must have been great! So, did he ravish you in the forest?”

I rolled my eyes. “Who the hell says ‘ravish’?”

She smacked me on the arm.

“Ow! Ok, ok. I had a great time. He took me to a nature reserve and we hiked to a clearing that overlooked the most beautiful valley. We ate a picnic lunch, made out, and came home.”

“Made out, huh? Just made out?”

“Yes, mommy. We just made out.”

Allison made a face. “Damn, Sammy. With the way he looks at you I was sure you guys would totally hook up.”

I turned red. “Well, I wanted to do more, but Alex wants to take it slow.”

She smiled at me and popped the last bite of strudel into her mouth. “I like him. I think he’s a keeper.” She slugged me playfully. “Just don’t screw it up, huh?”

“I’ll try my hardest. I’m really hoping he’s a keeper, too.”

“When are you going on your second date?”

“I don’t know. We didn’t discuss it.”

“Well let me know when you do. I gotta get to work. Love you, Sammy!” She flounced out the door. I wished I had half the energy my best friend had.

Business started to pick up in the morning, and I recognized the faces of a few regulars. I had been open for about an hour before Alex came in. I smiled widely as I made his usual cup of coffee.

I had a brief lull so I poured myself a cup and joined him.

“How’s business?”

“It’s been steadily picking up. I’m thrilled with how well it’s doing.”

“That’s great!” He paused. “So no more panic attacks?”

I grimaced. “No. Not since you rescued me.”

He squeezed my hand. “Good.” Alex fiddled with his coffee cup and bounced his leg. It was the first time I’d seen him nervous. “When would you like to go on our second date?”

I stared at him. He was nervous about asking me out on a second date? I was surprised to see this side of him. He always seemed confident. I’m the shy one.

He looked at me forlornly when I didn’t respond right away. “Please tell me you want to go on a second date.”

I reached over and held his hand. I looked him in the eyes and said, “I’d like nothing more.”

He sighed with relief and kissed my hand. “Good. I already know where I want to take you.”

I stood up to wait on more customers.

I shook my head as I made a chai latte. “Nope. Not this time.”

He looked chagrined and was silent until my customers were served. I refreshed both our cups. “I’m taking you out this time. I know exactly where we’re going, too.”

“Oh, really? And where is that?”

I put my finger to my lips. “It’s a secret.”

He laughed. “Turnabout’s fair play, huh? I’ll remember that.”

“Not that I want you to leave… but aren’t you going to be late for work?”

“I took the day off.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. I hope you don’t mind me hanging around for a bit. I know you have work to do.”

I grinned. “I don’t mind. It can get kind of boring when there’s a long break between customers. I’m all caught up on inventory and my financials, so I was just planning on grabbing a book off one of the shelves.” I looked down and blushed. “I’d much rather spend it with you.”

Alex lifted my chin and moved closer to me. He briefly kissed me and caressed my cheek. “Don’t look away from me, Sammy. You don’t ever have to be embarrassed around me.”

I smiled at him crookedly. “It’s a habit. I’ve always been a bit shy.”

He smirked at me. “You didn’t seem all that shy yesterday.”

I blushed bright red. “Yeah, well, you have that effect on me.”

He winked at me. “I know the feeling.”

We chatted all morning in between customers. It turned out that we both liked horror movies and classic rock. Ironically, Alex wasn’t much of a reader. Around noon he left to get us some lunch. I usually closed the store briefly while I went upstairs and made lunch, but he insisted on getting takeout. He returned with some subs and chips. We ate in comfortable silence, which was interrupted periodically by customers. I was an insatiable sponge when it came to learning about Alex. I soaked up his quirks, mannerisms, and likes/dislikes, filing them away for future reference, blissfully unaware of the unexpected turn the future would soon take.

*****

“You look great, Sammy! I see my fashion sense is finally starting to wear off on you.” Allison made me twirl around.

“We’re just going to a bowling alley. It’s not exactly fashion central.”

“It’s perfect! Alex is going to be all over you.” Allison was practically bouncing on the bed.

I wore blue jeans and a black button down shirt. I had shaved and tried to tame my mop of hair to no avail.

“What should I do with my hair? It’s such a mess,” I complained.

“It’s fine. Trust me, you look absolutely adorable!”

“Thanks. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” I gave her a quick hug.

“What time is he picking you up?”

“I’m picking him up in a half hour.” My eyes widened. I trembled and my breathing quickened. Allison immediately stood up and hugged me tightly, rubbing my back.

“Relax, Sammy. Everything will be ok.”

“What if he doesn’t like bowling? What if he thinks I’m a loser because I do? What if he doesn’t want to see me anymore?” I was speaking rapidly and was on the verge of a panic attack.

“Shhhh… it’s ok… breathe… in… out… breathe in… breathe out. You have nothing to worry about, sweetie. Alex adores you. If he doesn’t like bowling, then take him out to dinner instead. Trust me; he’s not going to think less of you.”

Allison led me to the couch and sat down beside me, gathering me to her. I rested my head on her shoulder and sighed deeply. She had a gift for talking me down from a panic attack. She played with my hair soothingly. “You’ve got it bad for this guy, don’t you?”

I smiled into her shoulder. “Yeah… I think I do.”

“Well, I think you need to get going before you’re late!”

I looked at the clock. “Shit! Yeah, I better go.”

I gave Allison one more hug and kissed her temple. “I love you. Thank you so much for being here. I’d be a quivering mess in the corner if you weren’t.”

“I love you, too and you’ll be just fine. Now go show your hottie how amazing you look! Call me tomorrow!”

“Will do.”

*****

Alex sat on the porch of a colonial duplex when I pulled up. He slid into the passenger seat and smiled warmly. “Hi, hun.”

“Hi.” I put the car in drive and headed towards the bowling alley.

“Where are we going?”

I shifted in my seat nervously. “You’ll see. It’s not that far. I hope you like it.”

Alex squeezed my hand. “As long as you’re there, I’ll love it.”

I wanted to stop the car and ravish him. Forget the bowling alley. “How was your day?”

“It was great. I was able to discharge a couple patients that made excellent progress. It’s even better now that I get to see you. How was yours?”

“It was great, too. Business has really picked up.” I smiled at him shakily. I was still anxious about taking him bowling. Unfortunately, he noticed my slight trembling as we approached the alley. I was tempted to drive right past and find a nice restaurant, but I had reserved a lane and didn’t want to be a no-show.

Alex rubbed his thumb along the top of my hand. “Relax, Sammy. I’m sure I’ll love whatever you have planned.”

I took a deep breath and pulled into the bowling alley’s parking lot. I didn’t look at him until I’d parked. He had a big grin on his face. “I love bowling! I’m sure we’ll have a great time.”

I exhaled in relief. “I’m so glad. I was worried you’d think I was a big loser or something.”

Alex frowned. “Don’t ever think that, Sammy. We’re going to have some differing interests. I would never think less of you because of it. Please don’t think less of me.”

I smiled. “Never. Let’s head in so I can kick your ass at bowling!”

He smirked. “I can think of some other things I’d like you do to do my ass.”

I raised my eyebrows. “You were the one who wanted to go slow. Remember?”

He laughed. “And I still do. I meant it, Sam. I want to do right by you. You’re more than worth it.”

I looked at him seductively and leaned forward to kiss him. He ducked away when my lips were almost on his and pecked my forehead. I groaned. “Not this again!”

He laughed as we exited the car.

Alex turned out to be a pretty good bowler. I beat him the first game and we tied the second game. After the second game we went to the food stand and came back with a tray full of hot dogs, French fries, and nachos.

“You’re pretty good,” I said, popping a nacho in my mouth.

He leered and looked me over. “Damn right, I am. I told you it’ll be worth the wait.”

I rolled my eyes. “I meant your bowling, you perv.” I looked at him mischievously. “I’ll have to reserve judgment on the other stuff.”

He arched an eyebrow. “I didn’t hear any complaints on Sunday,” he snickered. “Oh, wait… yes I did. ‘Don’t stop!’ ‘Please… oh, don’t stop!’”

I smacked him playfully. “Jerk.”

He laughed. “Ready for Round Three?”

I grinned. “I’m still waiting for Round One.”

“Well, be prepared for a perfect game, then. No gutter balls.”

Alex won that game.

After one more game, I drove him home. I parked in his driveway and stared at my hands on the steering wheel. I was debating whether or not I should ask to come in.

“Hey,” Alex said softly. He gently turned my face toward his. He looked stunning in the faint glow of the streetlight.

“Hey.”

He drew me in for a kiss that turned into a long make-out session. My jeans were extremely uncomfortable and I have no doubt that he was in the same predicament. I wanted him desperately.

“Invite me in,” I managed to gasp when we both needed a break for air.

Alex looked tortured. “God, Sammy. Believe me, I want nothing more. I’m so scared of rushing things. I know I just met you, but I already know I don’t want to lose you.”

I kissed him deeply. “I’m not going anywhere. I’m here whenever you’re ready.”

He hugged me tightly and whispered into my hair, “Thank you.” He kissed me one more time before getting out of the car. “See you tomorrow, Sammy.”

“See you tomorrow.”

I’m lucky I didn’t get a speeding ticket on the way home. I had a rather pressing matter I needed to take care of.

Thanks so much for reading! Please leave me a review and let me know what you think of the story so far. :)
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ack-cough-cough! There, I got that cube of sugar out of my mouth. :P

 

"Awww, that was so sweet, Valkyrie." 0:)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Omg, Ron's comment had me cracking up! lol :P

 

They were very sweet together. Alex seems like the real deal. I don't even want to read how it's all gonna come to an end. But of course, I can't stop reading.

 

Great chapter, Val. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

They are so cute :) great story :)

 

I'm gonna wait and read more until story is complete (if I can wait that long, very impatient LBO) :funny:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/25/2014 07:30 AM, Daddydavek said:
Going slow is romantic, but only to a point.

More please!

You'll find out why Alex wants to take it so slow next chapter. Thanks for reading!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/25/2014 09:15 AM, Ron said:
Ack-cough-cough! There, I got that cube of sugar out of my mouth. :P

 

"Awww, that was so sweet, Valkyrie." 0:)

LOL!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/25/2014 12:36 PM, Lisa said:
Omg, Ron's comment had me cracking up! lol :P

 

They were very sweet together. Alex seems like the real deal. I don't even want to read how it's all gonna come to an end. But of course, I can't stop reading.

 

Great chapter, Val. :)

I get teary when I think about writing the last couple chapters (I'm currently writing Chapter 7 and there should be about three more after that). Even though it's sad, I just had to tell Alex's story. Thanks so much for reading and reviewing. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/25/2014 05:10 PM, Slytherin said:
They are so cute :) great story :)

 

I'm gonna wait and read more until story is complete (if I can wait that long, very impatient LBO) :funny:

Thanks :) I totally understand :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/16/2014 07:09 AM, joann414 said:
Pressing matter or pulsing matter :P Cute and sweet! Love it!
Both...;) Thanks, Joann :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nothing makes a story better than likable characters and great dialog, and you have both here. There's a bit of a tease going on with Alex, too; but I can take it and I'm sure it will add to things when they do get rolling more intensely. So far, a very sweet and friendly story, and I cannot wait to see where you take it next.
So I will go read the next chapter before bed. :*)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2016 01:01 PM, Geron Kees said:

Nothing makes a story better than likable characters and great dialog, and you have both here. There's a bit of a tease going on with Alex, too; but I can take it and I'm sure it will add to things when they do get rolling more intensely. So far, a very sweet and friendly story, and I cannot wait to see where you take it next.

So I will go read the next chapter before bed. :*)

Alex is a total tease...but in a good way ;) lol Thanks for the review. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another sweet date and delay for Sammy.  I like both of these characters who are humorous, caring and fun.  Their conversations are realistic and well written. A great chapter. 😁

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, raven1 said:

Another sweet date and delay for Sammy.  I like both of these characters who are humorous, caring and fun.  Their conversations are realistic and well written. A great chapter. 😁

Thanks!  I wrote this a while ago, so it's fun reliving it through your comments :) 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..