Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,105 Words
  • 3,763 Views
  • 31 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Penguin - 3. Chapter 3

Daniel

Sean picked me up promptly at 1:00 and I was surprised to see Penguin in the back seat in his cat carrier. “I didn’t realize this would be a threesome.” I smirked at him.

Sean laughed and winked at me. “Penguin wanted to thank you personally for the flowers.”

I turned and looked at Penguin. “You’re welcome.”

Penguin slowly blinked his bright yellow eyes at me and purred.

I thought it was a bit strange to bring a cat along on a date, but I figured what the hell? Sean was a hottie and seemed like a really nice guy, so I supposed I could deal with it. Besides, I’m a cat person and Penguin seemed like a really special cat. I mean, how many cats can say they’re a therapy cat?

Sean pulled up in front of a brick building with a sign on it that read “Pet Connections”. The first thing that came to my mind was that it sounded like a pet dating service. I cringed at the thought and arched an eyebrow at Sean. I wondered if I was going to regret sending those flowers. He laughed at me.

“Don’t worry. It’s not a pet dating service or anything creepy like that. You seemed so interested in Penguin’s therapy cat test that I thought you might want to be there for it.”

I sighed in relief. “Whew. You had me worried for a minute.”

Sean laughed. “I’m not some freak that’s obsessed with my cat, I promise.”

I smirked at him. “So I shouldn’t expect a Christmas card of you holding Penguin while wearing an ugly Christmas sweater?”

He looked at me coyly. “Not unless you want me to.”

“Well, I suppose that depends on how desperate I am for a boyfriend.” I winked at him.

He laughed, then got out of the car and grabbed Penguin’s cat carrier. “This is the last step of the testing process. If we pass today, then Penguin becomes a certified therapy cat and earns his vest. All therapy animals are required to wear one.”

“I’m sure you guys will do just fine.” I smiled at Sean.

We went into the building and there were quite a few people milling around. There were mainly dogs, but there was also another cat, a rabbit, and even a miniature horse! Apparently there’s a lot more to this therapy cat stuff than I realized.

We didn’t have long to wait before Sean and Penguin were called into the testing room. I was amazed at how well they did. Penguin had to remain calm while people petted him roughly and hugged him a little too enthusiastically. He also had to tolerate someone staggering and waving their arms around like a drunk person and then going to pet him. Penguin didn’t even blink an eye when a crowd of loud people descended on him, attempting to pet him at the same time. He took every test they threw at him in stride, and at the end he was handed an orange “therapy cat” vest. So apparently it was official.

Sean walked over to me with a big smile on his face. I have him a congratulatory hug and petted Penguin’s head.

“Congratulations! You guys did great!”

Sean’s grin could have lit the entire room. “Thanks! We’ve worked so hard for this; it’s hard to believe it’s done. Are you hungry?”

“Yeah. I could do with some dinner. Let’s go celebrate!”

 

We drove to Sean’s apartment so he could drop Penguin off. He told me to wait in the car with a sly smile on his face. I wondered what he was up to. I watched Sean as he walked into his apartment. Damn, that man was gorgeous! He was about six feet tall and had the most delightfully messy sandy blond hair that didn’t quite reach his shoulders. I shuddered as I imagined running my fingers through it. He had a medium build and an ass to die for. He could have any man he wanted. I wondered what he saw in me.

Sean returned from his house carrying a cooler. He placed it in the trunk and then got back in the car.

“So where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise.”

I had to look out the window so he wouldn’t see the goofy smile I couldn’t wipe off my face.

Sean drove for about ten minutes before pulling into the parking lot of Meadowlane Park. He gave me a soft smile, and I swear I honest-to-God swooned. I’m a bit of a romantic at heart, but unfortunately I seem to have a habit of dating men who wouldn’t know what romance was if it smacked them upside the head with a dozen roses.

“I hope this is ok.” Sean said. “I thought we could return to the scene of the crime.”

I laughed. “It’s perfect.”

After a lot of jokes about staying out of the creek and not breaking any more body parts, we found a nice spot to lay out the blanket for a picnic. Sean had made a variety of sandwiches and we enjoyed those with some chips and pop. He even made brownies for dessert. We sat there and talked for hours. The conversation flowed easily and I found myself wishing that the day would never end. Just before sunset, we packed up the blanket and cooler and put them in the car. We then went for a short walk around the park to watch the sunset. As we were walking I felt Sean take my hand. I smiled at him and squeezed his hand. As we turned to start heading back toward the car, Sean stopped me and turned to face me. He ran his hand lightly down my cheek and said “I’d like to do this properly before I take you home.” Then he lightly kissed me. I looked into his gorgeous hazel eyes and kissed him back. He ran his fingers through my hair, cupped my cheek with his hand, and kissed me one more time.

“You have no idea how much I wish I didn’t have to work tomorrow,” he whispered.

I wished for the same; however all I could do was smile at him stupidly before we walked back to the car and he drove me home.

*****

After I got home, I was still reeling from Sean’s kiss. I can honestly say I’d never been on a date like that before. I knew that I desperately wanted to see Sean again. I changed into some pajama bottoms and a t-shirt before plopping down on the couch to watch TV.

“Hey, Timmy.” My gray tabby cat jumped into my lap and started purring. He curled up into a ball and promptly fell asleep. I have no idea what I even watched because I was so caught up in reliving my date. I could easily see myself falling for Sean. I needed to be careful.

I was jolted out of my reverie when my phone rang. Timmy jumped off my lap and gave me an annoyed look before stalking off to the bedroom. This time I remembered to check my caller ID. I had learned my lesson. “Hey, Robbie.”

“So… how was it? Let me guess… he took you back to his place so you guys could screw like rabbits. It’s about damn time you got some. So which one of you is going to be walking funny tomorrow?”

“Shut up, you ass!” Anyone else probably would have been mortified, but I knew Robbie too well to be surprised or offended.

Robbie just laughed. “Seriously, man. How’d it go?”

“I had a great time. He took me to Penguin’s therapy cat test, and then he took me to Meadowlane Park for a picnic. We made sure we stayed away from the creek this time. We talked for hours, and afterward took a walk to watch the sunset. Then he kissed me.”

“So... tongue…no tongue… details, man!”

“Are you sure you’re not gay? You seem to like to hear an awful lot of detail about my sex life.”

“Ha. Ha. Ok, so you guys went for a walk… then what?”

“Then he brought me back here.”

“You dog! So you screwed like rabbits at your place, not his.” Robbie laughed.

I rolled my eyes. Robbie had a one-track mind. “We didn’t screw like anything. He was a perfect gentleman.”

“So no blow-jobs or hand jobs even? How boring.”

“You’re such a dick!”

“You know you want it, baby.”

If he had been in my apartment I would have whaled him a good one.

“In your dreams, Robbie. I gotta go. Later.” I hung up the phone.

*****

Robbie and I met in kindergarten. We most definitely were not best friends right away. We both wanted to play with the same toy and ended up pounding the shit out of each other. Robbie gave me my first bloody nose and I knocked out one of his baby teeth. We were each other’s nemesis for the rest of kindergarten and through most of first grade, until Frankie Malone decided he wanted to kick my ass. I have no idea why. Frankie got some pretty good hits in before Robbie stepped in and knocked him flat on his ass. I guess he felt that he was the only one that got to beat the shit out of me. After that we became fast friends and were inseparable. The trouble we had gotten into when we were apart was nothing compared to the trouble we got in together. We got to know the principal quite well!

We did everything together and were there for each other through all the highs and lows of adolescence and young adulthood. Our families became pretty close, too. I swear we were always at one house or another. Things became a bit strained during our teen years when Robbie and our other friends discovered girls. I was struggling with realizing I was gay and tried to put on a front and date girls right along with Robbie and our friends. That was a bit of a disaster. Things came to a head when Robbie lost his virginity to Sallie Martin. He kept going on and on about how great it was and that I really needed to get the stick out of my ass and try it. I got really pissed off when he said that. He asked me if I wasn’t interested in dating because I was in love with him. All the color drained from my face and I pounced on him, trying to get some good punches in. The truth was that I did love Robbie. As a brother. I’ve never looked at him as anything more. Robbie managed to get on top of me and pin me down. He sat on my chest grinning and told me I should go fuck Brad. He was gay, too and apparently had a crush on me. I was stunned. I’ll never forget what Robbie told me next. He said “You should have just been honest with me, asshole. I know you better than you know yourself. I’ve known you were gay for a long time. It’s about damn time you realized it, too.”

I came out to my parents during our senior year and let’s just say it didn’t go well. I moved in with Robbie and his parents for the rest of the school year and after graduation we got an apartment together. Neither one of us was college material, so we got a job working with a landscaper. Robbie didn’t get along with our boss, so he quit and ended up working for another company. We’re both good workers and have managed to keep the same jobs for the past ten years. We’ve talked about going into business together, but neither one of us knows the first thing about business management. I suppose we ought to learn one day or else settle down with someone who does know how to run a business.

I don’t think Robbie will ever settle down, though. I wasn’t kidding when I called him a slut. He’ll sleep with just about any woman that will have him. My history isn’t quite so checkered. I dated Brad throughout high school, but that ended when he left for college. I dated on and off until I met Trevor. I don’t like to talk about Trevor. I almost lost Robbie’s friendship because of that piece of shit. There are no words to express how grateful I am that I didn’t.

Thanks again to joann414 for beta reading. I appreciate all feedback. Thanks for reading :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I love Robbie! He's a pisser and a terrific friend! :)

 

I'm so proud of Penguin! He passed all his tests and now he can help others! What a smart kitty. :P

 

Sean is such a romantic! That was a perfect date for Daniel. I look forward to reading about more perfect dates with them. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/18/2014 10:59 AM, Lisa said:
I love Robbie! He's a pisser and a terrific friend! :)

 

I'm so proud of Penguin! He passed all his tests and now he can help others! What a smart kitty. :P

 

Sean is such a romantic! That was a perfect date for Daniel. I look forward to reading about more perfect dates with them. :)

Robbie is a definite pisser, but he has a heart of gold :) Thanks so much for reading and I'm so glad you're enjoying the story :)
Link to comment

I'm glad I found this story! Brilliant first date "i didn't realize this would he a threesome" was the funniest line I've read in a long time ! :) :) i love this story :D

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/19/2014 01:18 AM, Slytherin said:
I'm glad I found this story! Brilliant first date "i didn't realize this would he a threesome" was the funniest line I've read in a long time ! :) :) i love this story :D
I'm glad you found it, too :) Thanks for reading and reviewing :)
Link to comment

Good dialogue, especially between the best friends, which has comprised the greater part so far--it has the feel of a long time camaraderie.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/19/2014 04:40 AM, Ron said:
Good dialogue, especially between the best friends, which has comprised the greater part so far--it has the feel of a long time camaraderie.
Thanks, Ron. I appreciate the review :)
Link to comment

I am loving this romance! Can't wait for the next chapter. Why do I have a nasty feeling about Trevor already? Could it be he's going to recur?

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/20/2014 03:08 PM, Irritable1 said:
I am loving this romance! Can't wait for the next chapter. Why do I have a nasty feeling about Trevor already? Could it be he's going to recur?
Thanks for the review and I'm so glad you are enjoying the story. Trevor is a real piece of work. We'll see what the future holds. :X
Link to comment

So intriguing! You are laying out some great crumbs for us to follow. Robbie is a stitch! Such a great friend. Awesome job and you are constructing it well. Thanks for your work.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/23/2014 12:39 PM, Cole Matthews said:
So intriguing! You are laying out some great crumbs for us to follow. Robbie is a stitch! Such a great friend. Awesome job and you are constructing it well. Thanks for your work.
Thanks for reading :) I would love to have a friend like Robbie. He is a great friend and always entertaining!
Link to comment

Timmy´s reaction to a ringing phone was same as my cats have :lol:

 

This is such a sweet story and loved the glimpses of Daniel and Robbie´s friendship.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/29/2014 06:19 PM, Suvitar said:
Timmy´s reaction to a ringing phone was same as my cats have :lol:

 

This is such a sweet story and loved the glimpses of Daniel and Robbie´s friendship.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. :) Robbie is a pretty awesome friend.
Link to comment

Excellent! I loved the line about men who wouldn't know romance if you smacked in the head with a dozen roses...that was priceless and so true. I am loving everything about this story, including Rob and their background story. Sean is coming across as perfect...I want me a Sean! Cheers...Gary

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/13/2014 04:33 AM, Headstall said:
Excellent! I loved the line about men who wouldn't know romance if you smacked in the head with a dozen roses...that was priceless and so true. I am loving everything about this story, including Rob and their background story. Sean is coming across as perfect...I want me a Sean! Cheers...Gary
I want me a straight version of Sean... :P I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. :)
Link to comment

Told with a delightful sense of humour and a lovely sense of the romantic. I'm definitely a sucker for both. Love the cat too! Love animals. Though I'm a dog person myself. Enjoying your story and enjoying the friendship between Rob and Daniel. A good straight friend can be such a great support.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 11/16/2014 05:32 AM, Jaro_423 said:
Told with a delightful sense of humour and a lovely sense of the romantic. I'm definitely a sucker for both. Love the cat too! Love animals. Though I'm a dog person myself. Enjoying your story and enjoying the friendship between Rob and Daniel. A good straight friend can be such a great support.
Thanks, Jaro. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. I'd love to have a friend like Robbie. He definitely keeps things interesting!
Link to comment

Loved the back story on how Robbie and Daniel became friends. I can completely relate to that, as I have a similar friend in my past that comes from that scenario! Good chapter, looking forward to reading the rest.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/16/2015 01:15 AM, Cynus said:
Loved the back story on how Robbie and Daniel became friends. I can completely relate to that, as I have a similar friend in my past that comes from that scenario! Good chapter, looking forward to reading the rest.
Robbie is pretty awesome, isn't he? I'd love a friend like him. He'd keep things pretty interesting. lol Thanks for the review!
Link to comment

I do like the friendship between Daniel and Robbie. Those kind of lifelong friendships are rare, but rewarding as hell. And in this case, where one is a closet softie and the other is a sheet of sandpaper, it's even better.
And you are a romantic softie yourself. The theme of outdoor picnics in a park setting is recurring in your stories. Bet you also love warm, starry summer nights, with the soft sounds of crickets in the background, and someone very special cuddled near...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/20/2016 12:42 PM, Geron Kees said:

I do like the friendship between Daniel and Robbie. Those kind of lifelong friendships are rare, but rewarding as hell. And in this case, where one is a closet softie and the other is a sheet of sandpaper, it's even better.

And you are a romantic softie yourself. The theme of outdoor picnics in a park setting is recurring in your stories. Bet you also love warm, starry summer nights, with the soft sounds of crickets in the background, and someone very special cuddled near...

I hadn't really planned Robbie's character when I started writing him, but I found I enjoyed him just as much as the main crew. I've known several people like him - crass, crusty exterior, but an interior of gold. I guess I do have a recurring picnic theme in my stories... lol I love the outdoors and quiet settings, so it just seems natural to me to write it into my stories. I like the scenario you described. Sounds lovely. :)

Link to comment

Ah ha. There is a long standing backstory between Robbie and Daniel. Explains why Robbie gets away with crap. We haven't even met Trevor and already I don't like him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Ah ha. There is a long standing backstory between Robbie and Daniel. Explains why Robbie gets away with crap. We haven't even met Trevor and already I don't like him.

:yes:  Yeah... :X  

Link to comment

In my long life, I have almost always been owned by a cat. I even had one for a while here at my retirement location in Brazil, but my roommate is more of a dog person, we now have nine on the estancia, along with five guinea fowl, two chickens, two cows and a horse with one nut. Okay, back to my reading...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Will Hawkins said:

In my long life, I have almost always been owned by a cat. I even had one for a while here at my retirement location in Brazil, but my roommate is more of a dog person, we now have nine on the estancia, along with five guinea fowl, two chickens, two cows and a horse with one nut. Okay, back to my reading...

I'm definitely an animal person. I have two cats and am a horse person.  So you own a cryptorchid?  They can be a bit of a handful sometimes.  

Link to comment

Our stallion seems to be normal physically and psychologically. The internet tells me that even cryptorchids can sire colts. Jose, he's my Portuguese partner, has even purchased a complete set of tack and is training Spicy to be ridden - apparently very successfully. Though I did quite a bit of riding when I was younger and lived in Texas and Arizona, at 85 years of age I am not fond of the idea of riding an untrained stallion, no matter how many or how few nuts he has. If anyone were to get hurt here, it is a long and bumpy dirt road to the nearest Clinic, though Brazil does have free medical care. I just got home from a two-day incarceration in that chamber of horrors. Apparently, there is no such thing as quiet in a clinic here, and I never even got a full four hours sleep while I was there. I was so very glad to be allowed to get back to the estancia and my own bed,

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..