Jump to content
    vlista20
  • Author
  • 4,784 Words
  • 5,337 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tyler - 18. Chapter 18

Tyler - Chapter 18

Tyler was pleased as much as he was scared when they walked into the locker room and every eye seemed very surprised to see him. Mitch looked as pissed as he was surprised and he couldn’t help note that a few even looked happily surprised. He looked at each of them for only a second before following Connor over to their lockers.

He didn’t see their eyes looking at Connor nervously, as though expecting him to lash out at them any minute. Tyler was fully changed when coach called to him from the doorway. He made sure to give them all a withering look, hoping to make them squirm, thinking he would walk into the office and tell all.

He noted many of them did squirm as he walked past them and reveled in the thought that he had some power over them all now. He followed the coach out of the locker room and down the hall to his office. Sitting in the same seat he’d sat in the other day, he looked the man over as he sat down behind his desk.

“There was absolutely nothing wrong with Kyle’s ankle yesterday. As soon as I found out, I rushed back here. I had it in my mind it was all a set up. With Connor being gone that maybe they were planning something against you. So please tell me, did they do anything to you yesterday afternoon?”

“No sir,” he felt guilty as hell lying, but the last thing he needed was for the whole season to be suspended, ‘cause there was no one left to run. How was he supposed to prove himself to anyone if there were no team to do it on?

Coach tilted his head to one side. “You’re sure?”

“Yes sir, I just got dressed and left. Honest, I had the same impression you did. So I hightailed it outta there shortly after you.”

He smiled, seemingly satisfied with that. “Okay, I just wanted to make sure, have you decided which events you are gonna run in next week yet?”

“Well 1 mile for sure, then I want to try javelin, and hurdles, and at least one sprint.” he looked off into space as he continued to name things off stopping only when the coach started to laugh.

“Son you can only choose five.” he said shaking his head.

“What do you think?”

“I think 1 mile for sure like you. 200 meter hurdles. You do better at long distance so I’d take that over 100 meter hurdles. Then I’d like to see you in the long jump. I think you need to work a little more on the javelin before you do that in a meet. I’ve noticed your legs are much more powerful then your arms.” he smiled hoping he wasn’t coming off rude. “That can be worked on of course. That’s three so next I’d choose half mile and five hundred meters.”

Tyler nodded, not about to go against the coaches advice. He stood from his chair and smiled down at him. “Well sign me up for those then. Then tell me what I need to do so I can do javelin by the end of the year.”

“Well let’s get out there and get going then.” Coach said patting Tyler on the shoulder, wishing ever team member was as enthusiastic as he was.

By the time Tyler got to work his arms were burning so bad he could barely lift the shoes onto the rack. He thought perhaps Javelin was not the best thing for him, if lifting 25 repetitions of 60 pounds would feel this bad every time. Coach had told him after a few times the pain fades away he just hoped he’d make it through that first few times.

He was setting up a display of track shoes at about two o’clock when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned and his face lit up into a smile seeing Chris, his roommate and after a while good friend from Crestwood. “Hey,” he said happily throwing his arms around Chris who hugged him back mightily. “You got out.”

“Yeah just this past Thursday.” Chris replied, giddily after letting him go and taking a step back. “I start school Monday so mom’s taking me shopping.” he gestured to a woman standing nearby who walked up to Tyler and smiled. She extended her hand.

“I’ve heard so much about you dear. It’s very nice to finally meet you.”

He blushed as he shook her hand, imagining at least at the beginning what she’d heard about him was not so good. She wandered off after another smile and Tyler turned back to Chris who began wringing his hands together nervously.

“Dude, I gotta ask you a favor and it’s probably gonna sound real cold of me.”

Furrowing his brow Tyler nodded. “What is it?”

“Could you like pretend we aren’t already friends? On Monday I mean. Like act like you are meeting me for the first time. I really don’t want everyone to know we met at the nuthouse.”

Tyler laughed totally understanding and not finding it cold at all. “Sure buddy, just so you know though we will be friends after meeting.”

Chris chuckled, his eyes bright. “Well yeah I was hoping that. Counting on it actually, Paul’s getting out too.”

Tyler’s own eyes widened in happiness and surprise. He knew from his weekly visits that Paul was rapidly progressing in his therapy knew that he was out nearly all the time and at last visit not one alter had appeared in three whole days.

“Where’s he gonna stay?”

“Amy rented a house. He’s gonna stay with her ‘til he’s eighteen and they’ll go from there.”

“My God, that’s incredible. Wow she must be a real nice lady.” he knew that she was nice just didn’t know she was that nice.

“She loves him.” Chris said smiling. “Who couldn’t love Paul? Damn, he’s too damn sweet to dislike. I’m so happy for him and he’s beside himself with joy.”

“So do you know when he’s getting out?”

“Middle of March, like two weeks from now. Amy will expect you to visit.” he grinned.

“Oh and I shall.” he said with a slight bow going along with Chris’s formalness. “Shall I grace the front step of your house one day as well?”

Chris chuckled. “Yuh but keep talking like that and you won’t get past the doorstep.”

Tyler laughed so glad he now would have another friend at school.

The week before the meet flew by quickly. Chris thus far had evaded anyone finding out he’d spent time in Crestwood and though he had quite a few people seeking him out to be their friend he spent all his time with Bobby, Rick, Tyler and Connor. His fear of gay people seemed to have completely subsided as he really seemed to enjoy each and everyone of their company.

Saturday, the day of their first track meet, happened to fall on Tyler’s birthday. The bus ride to the meet was a rowdy one. The other team members no longer shot him dirty looks or teased him, he was just basically ignored. Mitch still shot a dig in here and there, but he for the most part as well just left him alone.

Tyler sat with Connor at the back of the bus. Connor was dying inside as he knew full well it was Tyler’s birthday, but to not spoil the surprise that was waiting for him that night after the meet, he had decided to pretend he’d forgotten. This was downright killing him, though Tyler seemed completely unaffected by it. He blamed it on the fact that Tyler had never celebrated a birthday. Something he’d found out a few weeks earlier that nearly broke his heart. There were so many little things he was finding. Little things that he’d taken for granted. Like holidays, parents that showed up at sporting events, even little notes his mother put in his lunches, lunches even being something that Tyler had never had packed for him.

Once the bus stopped outside one of their rival schools, the team unloaded and filed through the school to a locker room that had been reserved for them and the other two away teams. Tyler had felt himself very lucky that this first meet was not against Washington, but could not feel lucky for long as the next week’s meet would be against them.

They all changed out and walked back outside to the track which was surrounded by a pretty big crowd. Being only the first week in March the day was incredibly cold. He was glad he had a sweatshirt like the rest of the team, emblazoned with the school’s mascot roaring on the front. He knew he’d have to take it off when it was time to run, but knew the running itself would keep him warm.

He looked up into the stands not having realized track and field was such a spectator sport. He’d have expected such a crowd at a football game but track? Well he wouldn’t have believe it if he hadn’t seen it for himself. Feeling someone step up beside him he looked over and flinched, seeing Mitch right there. His eyes darted around for Connor who he spotted at the beginning of the field talking to someone from another school he did not recognize.

“You looking up there thinking you actually got a fan up there? Where are your parents? They here? ‘Cause if they aren’t you ain’t got any fans up there”.

Tyler narrowed his eyes thinking Mitch was certainly running out of material. His words actually made him a little happy, as obviously the jerk had not caught wind of his foster kid status and that was one less thing he could pick on.

“I imagine that lawyer dad of yours is busy off defending common criminals or maybe even serial rapists. Despicable profession law.” he tisked and shook his head while Tyler had all he could do not to laugh as he’d nearly forgotten all about his lie the first day of school where he’d told everyone his daddy was a rich lawyer.

“What does your dad do Mitch?” he asked, then wondered briefly why his sac seemed to have suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

“My dad is in the military. A truly honorable profession. Can’t get any better then defending your country now can you. Did your father ever fight for his country?”

Tyler nodded truly having fun now. “Oh sure,” he replied with a concise nod of his head. “He went over and flew a helicopter during dessert storm, went in and rescued stranded soldiers. They were shot down once but he got all his men out. Received a medal of honor for that one. Your dad ever get one of those?”

Mitch’s face turned a deep scarlet, Tyler looked at him just long enough to be able to remember that face, then turned on his heel and walked up to Connor who’d obviously seen who was talking to him and was hurrying over. “What did that fuck want?” He snarled, glaring past Tyler and at Mitch who was still facing the other way.

“He wanted to tease me. I one upped him though. Told him about my dad the war hero.”

Connor looked at him as though he were gonna ask it if were true then broke out laughing. “how do you come up with these things?”

Tyler shrugged, feeling pretty proud of himself at that moment. The 500 meter hurdle was the first event. Tyler lined up at the starting line with one other member of his team and two members from each of the opposing teams. Mark his teammate was on his left and he jumped feeling Mark’s hand come down on his back.

He turned to him in his crouched starting position and was a little surprised to see him smiling. “Good luck man, you gotta win this ‘cause I know I can’t.”

Tyler surprised himself even more when he smiled back. “I’ll do my best.”

Mark’s smile got wider before they both turned and looked ahead of them. The gun fired and they were off. Tyler always felt great when he was running but there with the crowd around, the other opposing school’s runners right there neck and neck with him, he felt a sense of euphoria. Here he was king loser of nearly every school in the district, out there running with the best of them. No longer hiding in corners and trying his best not to be seen.

Now he was one of six people that everyone had their eyes on. He reached the first hurdle and soared over it, his legs responding to exactly what his mind told them to do. He found himself looking forward to each jump, each one he sailed over feeling like he was going a little higher and a little faster. He no longer saw any runners ahead of him and didn’t see any out of the corners of his eyes. Meaning he was not a breast of anyone he was actually in the lead.

His determination growing even more, he pushed on feeling faster and mightier, as he pounded the tar with his feet and sailed over hurdles feeling like they were twenty feet below him as he flew through the air. He landed solidly after the last one and ran even faster seeing the tape that indicated the finish line easily within his reach.

He jutted out his chest seconds before he broke through it and heard cheering and clapping to his left as he slowly came to a stop. Connor ran into his arms yelling, as he jumped up and down, his arms never leaving him in his excitement. “Dammit Tyler I knew you’d be the star of the team. You left those other’s in the dust. They looked like turtles compared to you.” suddenly the coach was on him too patting his back and congratulating him so many times he lost count.

He merely got a few pats on the backs from the other teammates and one extremely dirty look from Mitch but didn’t care one bit. He felt he had perhaps just had one of the very best moments in his life. He came in first at every event but one that day, the more he won, the more congratulations he got from the teammates. He could care less about theirs though. Connor was excited enough for everyone and him and the coach were all he cared about.

They won the meet thanks in large part to Tyler though he was ignored again on the ride home, as Mitch made himself the center of attention telling crude stories about sex with his many girlfriends.

Connor and Tyler quickly zoned them out as they settled into each other’s arms for the two hour ride home.

Bobby, Rick and Carol were all busy with the decorations for the party when the doorbell rang. “I’ll get it.” Carol called out, as Bobby was all the way up one ladder hanging streamers and Rick was halfway up another. She walked to the door and opened it. “Hi Amy,” she said, smiling happy to see her and Paul as well. “How are you doing?” she asked, smiling at Paul who looked so much better and so much more with it then last time she saw him.

He smiled up at her shyly, still looking like he wasn’t more then thirteen years old. “I’m good ma’am.” he answered gripping Amy’s hand just a little bit tighter. He was nervous as hell about this expedition, but would never have forgiven himself if he’d missed what he considered to be his best friends birthday party. Though he still had a week ‘til he was officially released from Crestwood he’d been allowed to leave for the evening with Amy to attend the party.

Carol ushered them in and took their jackets. She led them into the living room where Bobby and Rick were both crawling down from their ladders. Bobby turned his eyes immediately locking on Paul. A happy smile lit up his face while Paul looked a bit like a deer caught in headlights.

Bobby walked forward slowly, intending to just say hello and shake his hand, but once he reached him he couldn’t help put his arms around his old best bud, so glad to see him back on his feet, and actually still alive, which was surprising as hell as he’d heard much of what Paul had lived through like everyone else at the school. “I missed you so much Paul.” he said, setting his chin on top of Paul’s head as he towered over him.

Though he’d been nervous as hell upon Bobby’s approach the minute his arms were around he felt safe. He moved his own arms around the bigger boy’s waist and squeezed him tightly. “I missed you too Bobby.” he said quietly forcing himself not to cry on this his first outing in years.

Bobby stepped back and smiled down at him. “You look real good.”

Paul chuckled, as he bent his neck and looked up at him. “Sure,” he said with a roll of his eyes knowing full well he still looked like a little kid.

Bobby chuckled and squeezed his shoulders. “You wanna help us with the balloons?”

Paul nodded eagerly, seeing Paul would be just fine with the two boys Amy followed Carol off into the kitchen to help with the food.

The doorbell rang again, just after Bobby had introduced Rick and Paul, and Carol opened the door again to let Julie into the house. Julie smiled at her and was escorted into the living room where she set her present down on a coffee table that was quickly becoming filled with gifts. “Hey guys.” she said, smiling at the other’s her eyes fell on Paul and her face lit up as she remembered him as well though she’d been under the opinion she’d never again see him. “Paul!” she said excitedly. “How are you?”

Paul smiled shyly at her not remembering who she was. “I’m good.”

She walked up to him and put her hand on her chest. “I’m Julie, I’m sure you probably don’t really remember me. But we were in the same class back in Kindergarten.”

He looked her over again and nodded, though he still didn’t remember, then turned and began blowing up balloons again. Chris showed up next and helped them with the finishing touches Paul staying close to him, as he knew Chris out of the ones there best.

When Robert walked in Rick nudged Bobby about a dozen times ‘til Bobby finally got tired of it and snapped ‘what?’

“Who is that guy?” Rick asked, his eyes wide letting Bobby know he thought the guy was one hot specimen. Bobby grinned, and though he wasn’t sure said. “That’s Robert. Tyler’s best friend.”

“Woah,” Rick shook his head and rolling his eyes in shock. “Ya, I do remember him. He worked at the shoe store with Tyler.” he put his hand up over his mouth. “God he’s the one that hates me.” He shrunk down as Robert’s eyes fell on him and though a smile came to the other guy’s face, it made him no more comfortable as Robert walked over to him and Bobby.

Robert stuck his hand out to Bobby. “We’ve never been formally introduced. I’m Robert.”

Bobby smiled and shook his hand. “Bobby, and this is Rick.” he said, pointing over at Rick who seemed incapable of speech at that moment.

Robert looked over at Rick and extended his hand to him which Rick managed to shake. Robert though, still not Rick’s biggest fan, had to give the guy some credit for conceding his original opinions of Tyler and actually becoming a pretty good friend to him.

Stewart was the last to arrive among the guests and after introductions he and Robert talked together while Bobby and Rick talked with Julie, while Chris stayed with Paul who stuck real close to Amy, the amount of people making him even more nervous then he’d thought he’d be.

Connor parked his car behind a silver Ford Escort and smiled over at Tyler, who was looking over all the other cars. “Who’s all these people?” he asked, not recognizing one of them.

“Don’t know, maybe mom’s got some people over.” He shrugged nonchalantly as he opened the door. Tyler met up with him at the front of the car and they walked up and into the house together. Tyler’s face lit up as he saw all his friends inside, and they all yelled surprise the minute he walked in.

Tyler turned to Connor, who was grinning like a Cheshire cat, then reached out and shoved him into the wall. “I thought you forgot.”

Rubbing his shoulder from where it had banged into the wall Connor laughed and shook his head. “I didn’t forget you twit? What kinda boyfriend do you think I am?”

Tyler smiled and gave him a big hug. “Thank you.” he let go of Connor and turned to Carol, who he was sure had a lot to do with it herself. He wrapped his arms around her and whispered another Thank you in her ear. She squeezed him back and rubbed his back.

“Happy Birthday hon.”

He stepped back and smiled at her, his great day only getting much better as he’d not imagined was even possible. He walked into the living room where he got several more hugs, the biggest and best from the littlest guy in the room, Paul. “So you out now?” Tyler asked, after they’d separated.

Paul shook his head. “Another week. But I got registrate...” he paused looking confused. “Res...”

Amy chuckled and finished for him. “Respite.” He smiled at her gratefully holding up a finger then grinned at Tyler. “That’s it!”

Tyler chuckled as he looked up at Amy. “Did you find a house yet?”

“Yeah, it’s on Sycamore. One story, two bedroom. Cozy little place.”

“Sycamore is the next street over from the Pollock’s.” he said excitedly. “We are gonna be neighbor’s.” he added, looking back at Paul who smiled happily.

Carol and Amy carried in trays of finger sandwiches, bowls of chips, deviled eggs, and dips and set them out on a table that had been set up with a happy birthday table cloth and balloons on each end. Tyler who was half starved, not having eaten since morning, was nearly first to the table beaten only by Connor who had not eaten in the same amount of time.

They both grabbed three finger sandwiches one of each kind, turkey salad, ham salad and egg salad. Tyler grabbed three deviled eggs and a good helping of chips with a spoonful of dip.

They sat down together on the couch Paul sitting down on the other side of Tyler with a very full plate of his own. Robert sat on the other side of Connor. Tyler leaned forward looking past Connor and smiled at him. “Did you drive all the way down here?”

“Yeah, ma let me use her car. I’m staying here ‘til Monday morning.”

Tyler’s face lit up. “Awesome!”

Robert smiled and nodded. “I thought so. So as soon as you get out of work tomorrow, me, you and Connor ought to head out and do something okay?”

Both Connor and Tyler nodded in full agreeance. Though Tyler was embarrassed as hell to do it in front of a room full of people staring at him he opened his presents next. He got several books, a few new shirts, and a small portable radio with CD player and a couple CD’s from Robert and a plaque with the words Tyler’s room done out in seashells on it from Paul. Connor, who made him wait ‘til last to open his, gushed in excitement as he pulled it off the table.

Tyler grinned at him loving nothing more then when Connor was this excited about something. He peeled back the paper of the large rectangular box then slowly opened the cover. Seeing white leather amidst Blue fabric his eyes lit up knowing exactly what it was. He pulled out the school jacket saw his name embroidered on the front and the school’s mascot sewed onto the back just like every other one he saw.

“Oh Connor,” He gasped, knowing the jackets were not cheap and never expecting to have one of his own.

“This way you have something to put your letter on after you get it at the awards banquet at the end of the season.”

Tyler grinned, as only Connor would have so much confidence in him, to so quickly seem absolutely sure he’d get one. He set the jacket in his laps and hugged him tightly. “Thank you so much.”

Connor chuckled in his arms. “Well I’m the one that’s gonna get to wear it dude. I am your boyfriend.”

Carol huffed, as she cuffed Connor upside the head. “Connor you are impossible.”

Connor only chuckled louder, too happy in the hug to care if his mother was annoyed with him or not, which he knew she really wasn’t that annoyed. Tyler let go of him and sat up straight again. He put the jacket on Connor, who stuck his tongue out at his mother, who shook her head and laughed at him.

Carol disappeared off into the kitchen, seconds before she reappeared the lights went out in the room, which was quickly relit by the several candles ablaze on top of the cake she carried in her arms into the room, while everyone started to sing happy birthday.

A lump formed in Tyler’s throat and his eyes stung a bit, as this was truly a first for him. Something he’d not even really realized up until that moment. He looked around the room at all his closest friends and had to smile at the fact that he now had so many people that he cared about and obviously cared about him as well. Robert as though sensing his pleasure walked up behind him and wrapped his arms around his shoulders. “Looks like you got yourself a nice little family now, huh Tyler?” he whispered in his ear.

Tyler turned his head and smiled up at him perhaps the happiest smile Robert had ever seen on his best friends face. “I’d say so.” Though the family he was living spoke to him only long enough to reprimand him on something which happened very rarely, he knew who he was with now was his family. He felt very close to Carol and had little doubt she felt as strongly about him as he did about her.

He felt as though Paul and Robert were both his brothers and Bobby, Rick and especially Chris were all his best friends. Julie of course was the first girl he’d ever liked and she continued to surprise him nearly everyday with her warmth and kindness towards him, despite her asshole parents. He felt Stewart was a friend as well but more in a way mentor type of way. Stewart always seemed to be there for him in more of a quiet, not always in the front line type of way. He loved Stewart for his quiet yet caring ways just as he loved the rest of them.

He looked at Connor, easily able to picture them still together in fifty years. He could not imagine his life without his first major love and felt they had what it took to stay together forever. He took Connor’s hand and held it tightly as he leaned over the cake. Taking a deep breath, he wished to always be surrounded by these people that were now his famil, seconds before he blew out every last candle in a single breath.

Copyright © 2011 vlista20; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kudos! This was so honest , heartbreaking, funny, and humanly realistic. People are so mean, cruel, and un-concerned in today's world. It is so hard to watch sometimes, but u touched on a lot of these issues, and I loved it. Your portrayal of your characters was so realistic, and believable. Made me laugh, cry, and last but not least, relieved that Tyler found peace and love among friends and his partner. thank u for a wonderful read.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thank you for a beautiful story. It had me running the full gamut of emotions. Story was too short but the ending was perfect

  • Like 1
Link to comment

really good story but i i keep crying :)

it was a bit short i would like to see more of chris and the guys , but i'm happy tyler has is happy ending

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is the third time over the years that I've read this story. It is sad, yes, but also always reminds me that sad doesn't have to last forever. Thanks for this little jewel of light.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Such a wonderful story and the ending was very satisfying. Tyler will make it and have the love and family and friends he deserve. I hope he'll become a therapist or maybe a social worker, as he'll be able to help those in need. Thank you for sharing this story, and thank you to @Cia who featured the story and made me find it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..