Jump to content
    VVesley
  • Author
  • 2,025 Words
  • 2,902 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alliance - 14. Chapter 14

Alexandre had awoken the next day in the arms of his built Tomacian lover, and had never felt more secure. He reveled in the man’s warmth as compared to his own chill, and knew that he was more protected there than when he donned any armor. Pulling a groggy Carlin tighter around him, Alexandre reflected on the passion that Carlin had shown the previous night, and Alex had decided that it was okay to let his guard down around the man. For the first time in his life, he felt completely vulnerable.

But who could say no to that face? Carlin boasted features that were chiseled and smoothed in all the right places, and his deep blue eyes sent Alex whirling into their depths with each gaze. He continued to be amazed at just how affectionate the man was, which he supposed was reflective of his not being raised in Nabius. Maybe constant hugs and kisses and nuzzles of the nose were commonplace in Tomacia, but certainly not in Alexandre’s home.

Red, for the power in our hearts and veins.

Perhaps there is more than one way to show this kind of power. If so, Carlin will make a good Nabian. Alex yawned, and Carlin’s sculpted face began to show the flutters of awakening.

Shortly after waking, a loud rapping on the door made both Carlin and Alexandre bolt up in bed and out of the covers. Carlin had just gotten his naked body under the bed before a business-minded Jamison Hadeaux strode through the door, spiked metal boots clacking as he made his way over.

“Apologies Master Di Coteau, but it seems your father has gotten word that an assassin is on his way to the house right now, hidden in a hay wagon that was coming along with a new shipment of soldiers. You have been requested for the shaming and execution.”

Alex fought the urge to groan. “And who has requested me?”

“Lady Talia. She is on a break between missions, and this is what General Darion has chosen for her to observe in her free time.”

Ah, it was just Talia. Not a command. “I’d rather not, but I’ll be down for the execution after the shaming.” Under his breath, Alex grumbled, “we all know my father wouldn’t want a Di Coteau to miss that.” In truth, Alexandre hated nothing more than watching shaming and executions, and he certainly didn’t want to give up his morning with Carlin to see some common assassin tortured.

“Very good.” Hadeaux promptly left the room, and Alex heard Carlin laugh with relief from under the bed.

“Perhaps you ought to lock your door at night, Alex.”

“Perhaps you should sleep wearing a bit more, so it wouldn’t look suspicious if you were found in my quarters early in the morning.” Carlin had made his way out from under the massive four-poster, and reclaimed his spot amongst a heap of furs and pillows. The two smiled at each other, and Alexandre leaned back against a hard leather pillow. Carlin left to prepare for the day with a kiss, and Alexandre was perfectly content.

Talia had been gone since she had been summoned out of the training yard the previous day, and Alex wondered what Hadeaux had meant when referring to her as between missions. Was she doing missions non-stop since then? If so… perhaps the general is trying to show the sheer amount that she can get done in a short amount of time? Alex didn’t know, but at least that made a bit more sense. He preferred to think that his sister was not being disgraced by low-level missions.

***

Luca had awoken hungry, itchy, and dirty in the pile of hay within which he was concealed. He had been there for two and a half days after Madame Ysabel had tipped him off, and had finally made it to the estate.

I hope I find Alex quickly, he thought. Staying in the hay so long had given him a rash, and not eating for two days left him physically and mentally weak. Luca was used to being pampered, and detested the feeling of hunger. He hoped that Alex would at least give him a meal or some kind of welcome when he arrived, but was trying not to bank on anything. Unfortunately, Alexandre Di Coteau was not on the lawn of the manor house to greet him.

Luca had been pulled by the foot from his spot in the hay by a mailed fist, and was suspended by one leg upside down just before the beatings started. After so long in the hay, the light was blinding, and he couldn’t make out anything but the torrent of knees and fists and boots that were crashing into his tiny body over and over.

After what felt like an eternity, Luca was tossed into the dirt in a limp and bloody pile. The only thing he could see were three pair of boots near his face. All three looked extremely expensive, and were made either of colored leather or scale-plate and metal. The dust around his eyes settled, and Luca’s head stopped ringing enough just in time for him to hear a growl of disapproval.

“You seem a miserable excuse for an assassin, boy.” Luca looked up towards the source of the booming deep voice, and had his stare returned by the largest man he had ever seen.

Now, Luca had seen men in all shapes and sizes before due to his work. But Darion Di Coteau was instantly recognizable as a threat and beast, and his muscles in his arm bulged like Luca had never seen any man’s do before. He could probably break Luca in half with his bare hands, and that was no overstatement. Standing to his left… That must be Talia. Luca was sure of it, for she looked like just like the small, strawberry-blonde woman in the capitol that he knew was her mother. She is so beautiful… I wonder if she’s as cruel.

Though one eye was filling with blood and swelling at an impressive rate, Luca tried to make out the other figure. There was a girl he didn’t know, though she was remarkably pretty as well. This one had dark hair that she wore in a high ponytail, and had green eyes that vaguely reminded Luca of an alley cat. She seemed even more feline when she spoke.

“Pardon, uncle, but perhaps I could use this one for a few experiments prior to the execution… some of my girls have whipped up a fascinating concoction, and I would love to see how it affects the skin.”

Darion paused for a moment before nodding. “He will be whipped and his extremities crushed, first. I do not allow my enemies to escape any part of the shaming.”

Oh, shit. Luca wanted to cry out and say that he wasn’t an enemy, but his chest sent daggers of pain whenever he tried to do anything. He had seen a few men shamed before their executions in the capitol before, and doubted he would survive the torture alone. In the past, just watching it made him feel ill.

“Your son has also requested to view the execution, General. I spoke to him this morning.”

“Very good. He should be watching over this anyway. Alex is a man grown.”

Alex… Luca thought. I never should have come here. He had thought that the noble teen might not necessarily help him, but he had never expected that the man he looked up to would play a part in condemning him to a horrible death.

Oh well, Luca thought. A horrible end to a horrible life.

***

The first lash had hurt the worst, searing with Nabian fire as it tore the flesh off of the bone. Luca had somehow found the strength to scream then, and surprised himself when he struggled against the restraints. The post he was tied to was the only thing keeping him up, and he did the best to not tear up against the pain.

Besides that, Luca had felt a small burning sensation just under his collarbone after the girl with the snake pin in her hair had dropped a sizzling green liquid there. The intensity of that pain was only growing worse, and Luca felt like a hole was slowly being burned into his chest.

Jezebel, I think that’s her name. She called the general uncle.

Luca looked out into the crowd of onlookers, and didn’t find Alex anywhere. He hung his head, only to lift it up again with a scream when the whip cracked against his left shoulder blade, and he felt the skin open with disturbing ease. The dust and heat made his eyes bleary, and Luca watched as fifty-odd faces gazed upon his torture. There were so many, and no one would help him. Luca wanted to cry, but his exhaustion would not let him.

“Father!” He heard a familiar voice cry out. “Please stop this immediately. I know this man, and would like to speak with him.”

Luca would have looked up to see his salvation, but he was simply too weary. It was only after his hands were untied and he slumped to the ground that his head was angled properly. He saw Alexandre and an attractive taller man approach, and lift his face towards theirs.

“Luca?!” Alex half whispered, half shouted the name, and Luca used as much strength as he could to give a nod.

“How did you get here? What – Luca what the hell?” The younger boy’s dry throat mustered two words, and he hoped Alex could understand them.

“Killed Meko.” Alex ran his hand through his hair, and then took on the face of a leader issuing commands when he spoke. He turned and leant in so only Luca and the taller, blue-eyed man could hear, and began to speak rapidly.

“Alright Luca. The estate was informed that you were on your way here as an assassin, but I think that’s obviously not the case.”

Ysabel.

“However, my father will never spare you and allow you to stay unless you show some valuable quality. I will vouch for you, but my word will not get you everything.” Alex paused, looking around and dropping his voice to a low whisper. "Take the dagger that is strapped to my thigh, and stab the next soldier that approaches. After that, you won’t appear so feeble, and I’ll announce that there has been some misunderstanding.” Luca’s head began to loll off to the side, but Alex grabbed him by the chin and forcefully held him up. “Luca. You must do this before you go unconscious, or the poison on your chest will kill you. If you do not survive… I’m sorry, but this is the only way I see you staying for any period of time if you live. Good luck.” Alex pressed a thin black dagger into Luca’s limp palm, and stood to face the crowd. He walked away slowly, and a pair of guards stepped up to restrain the young assassin.

It was then that Luca heard a small voice in his head say survive, and made his move.

Luca slashed upwards at the guard near his face, and opened his throat with a sickening splashing sound. The brawny female near his knees looked surprised, and he stabbed the dagger in the space between where her thigh plate and kneecap plate met. This caused the guard to bend over, and he sat up to plunge the dagger into her face now that it was closer to his own. She fell over, and Luca briefly heard Alex commanding the nearest soldiers to freeze.

Luca pitched backwards with a thud, and looked up towards the sky, feeling blood seeping from his back and making his clothes damp and sticky. He felt a tingling on his chest, and knew that the poison was still going.

Perhaps I’ll see you soon, Jack, he thought. Moments later, the tiny blonde boy slipped into the blackness that had been itching to overtake him.

Copyright © 2016 VVesley; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

What a screwed up place. No offense intended. At least poor Luca appears to have a chance. Alexandre seems to be one of the few not totally infected by a societal psychopathic frenzy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I agree with :Paladin....but what is it that Carlin is hiding....Alex is finally happy and he sees what a good man alex is ...if it will blow his life apart or theirs as a couple, I hope he outs it sooner rather than later. A shame Alex didn't arrive for the 'shaming' and that Jezebel is a sick fuck. but really, did anybody question a tiny boy being an assassin? though the kid has promise it seems!! Ugg that Ysabelle is a real wing-nut! lol They don't spare the sick fun when they execute someone huh!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What a chapter! It is ethically questionable whether it is okay to let Luca stab two guards so he would survive, but as you have chosen Luca to be one of the main protagonists I guess ithad to be done.^^ Looking forward to the next chapter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I kind of agree with scary. He seems harmless enough but now having killed two guards would kind of change that perception. The brutality of his treatment I kind of get. I find assassins loathsome and dishonorable. Thanks to crazy Ysabel they are woefully misinformed about Luca and with only half the story it would be easy enough to believe her lie. They live under the constant threat of assassination so the shaming and execution may go some way to dissuading others.  Most important, Luca was saved in time but damn why couldn't Alex have shown up sooner? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..