Jump to content
    VVesley
  • Author
  • 2,922 Words
  • 2,292 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bond - 18. Chapter 18

Talia studied the maps before her sprawled out on the large wooden table that had recently held the thirteen generals, only occasionally glancing up towards her mother and brother. They were also working on a potential battle strategy, but Talia knew that Alexandre was distracted and that Ysabel was picking up on it. She supposed his mind was on Carl as per usual, but this was recently annoying her. Separate your emotions, Alex. Saints’ sake. After running a hand through her hair and accidentally knocking a small wooden figurine that was meant to represent a squadron of 250 soldiers, she took a critical look at the map and came to a conclusion that was bad, but needed to be said.

“We’re too spread out.” Ysabel looked up at this, and rose an eyebrow. Alex ran a hand over the back of his head, obviously having reached the same idea.

“I know,” he said.

“Either we call in troops from the Cathcarts, or the men stationed at the Monciet palace need to be moved back. Thoughts?”

“Withdrawing from the Monciet region is out of the question, I would assume,” said Ysabel. “That’s your main claim to power, and it’s only just been conquered. We can’t just give it back.”

“I don’t particularly need the Monciet lands…” Alex began, before Ysabel’s expression changed to horror.

“Of course you do! You’re inspiring men to fight for you based on who you are, and ending the Monciet line is quite a large part of your resume. We don’t want men to lose their trust in you as a warlord.”

“Yes, mother, but the point of aligning with Tomacia in the first place is to end the reign of terrorists and warlords. Nabians aren’t supposed to still be seen as bloody conquerors at the end of this.”

“I wasn’t aware of that,” said Ysabel with a frown.

“Yes you were,” said Alex with a roll of his eyes. “But I’m not going to withdraw from the Monciet zone anyway. Lowering defenses to the west leaves us vulnerable to the Coynes, and I have no doubt they’re still after me.”

“I agree,” said Talia. “So we rely on Carl, then.” Alex nodded grimly.

“Provided they can get troops to us quickly enough. And apparently there are some bureaucratic tie-ups, so we’ll just have to hope.”

“I don’t like that,” Ysabel said. “Hope doesn’t win fights, men do.”

“I know,” repeated Alex with a sigh. Ysabel took a long look at her children before she spoke up again.

“I could lend you some of my army. Not much given my territory’s positioning, but still, some.”

“No, mother,” said Talia, “we need a strong foothold in the south. Especially with your closest friendly general being Elsa Torne, who we don’t know much about and who isn’t even connected via land to your territory. Keep as many men as you can.” Ysabel nodded.

“Alright. But keep in mind that General Du Vance has little to no army, so his territory can be considered blank. And the only general between Elsa and I is Dmitri Orr, who has his forces concentrated to the west. There should be some leeway in the eastern parts of his lands for movement and communication towards me.”

“Good,” Alex replied. “I don’t think anyone will try to pincer in on you before knowing where Uncle Yago stands, but I’m glad you’ve scouted out your path to security. And that you have your army.” At that, it was Ysabel’s time to roll her eyes.

“Surely my own son isn’t underestimating me.” It wasn’t a question.

Talia had flinched when Alex spoke, but looked around to make sure that neither her mother nor brother had noticed. Good. They didn’t see anything. She looked down at the map one more time, but decided that it was time she brought up exactly what she saw. She took a breath in, and let it out. Here we go.

“Generals Di Coteau and Clarion,” she addressed them, “though neither of you has given the order, I am taking a mission upon myself presently.” This statement made both stop and look at her questioningly, with serious concern. No matter how close they may be, a soldier never gave orders to a general or informed them of non-commanded intent. Of course, Talia didn’t believe that she would be punished for such a thing, but it was still taboo. The world is changing I guess. “Dmitri Orr is the only general who has territory that partitions Nabius in terms of our allies in this war. I respect that he has weaknesses in border security, as you’ve brought up,” she said while looking towards her mother, “but I am still uncomfortable with the possibility of you getting cut off. Having a line of territories that are all linked with allied generals would be ideal, especially on the east side of Nabius. Since we are being backed by Tomacia, it would be ideal to have us geographically backed by the country as well. As said, Jack Du Vance doesn’t matter so much… but Orr does. He’s dangerous, and a reconsolidation of his strength could cripple us.” She paused, waiting for a response. Both family members had their eyebrows raised in a matter that suggested she go on, so she did.

“I’m going to seize control of his men and fortress, claiming command via Nabian rite of battle.” No one said anything for a while, before Alex finally spoke up.

“And do you think these men will listen?” Talia shrugged.

“It’s the law. If I capture what he has, they are bound to follow me. Besides that… I think they’ll want to stay where their homes and families are. The common soldiers don’t care who the generals are.” Alex nodded at this.

“Hopefully the promise of less war will rally them as well,” he said.

“You can travel south with me on my return to home. I leave tomorrow.” Talia gave a grateful look to her mother for the offer, but shook her head.

“All eyes will be on you and your army when you move. I don’t want to be seen with you.” Ysabel thought this over, and eventually agreed.

“Very well. Leave several days after I do. Then, any eyes and ears along the road will be less wary.” Again, Talia shook her head no.

“I’m leaving tonight. I’m already prepared to go.” Alex opened his mouth to protest, but shut it again after a second. Talia was appreciative, and took it as a sign of that her brother had the utmost faith in her. He paused for a bit, before finally giving an accepting nod and speaking up again.

“You’ll make a fine general, Talia. I assume you have all the details of a plan worked out already?”

“Infiltration and assassination. What I do best.”

***

Adrian approached Luca’s door with apprehension, but decided that he needed to ask the question no matter what. He knew Luca was alone, because he had seen Eamon making his way to Alexandre’s personal courtyard with Mikhail, wearing practice armor and brandishing a mock spear used for training. Luca held no other company save Alfie the kitchen cook occasionally, but it was late and Alfie had most definitely retired for the day. He hoped Luca wasn’t asleep already, but a line of flickering candlelight coming from underneath the door assured that his approach wouldn’t be an intrusion. He knocked lightly, and heard Luca’s soft voice give a surprised “come in.” Adrian stepped through the door and saw Luca in bed, reading by the flame.

“Adrian,” he said with a smile. “Welcome.”

Gods, he’s so cute.

“Thank you,” he said while flashing a brilliant white smile back. He walked over to the bed, and asked if he could sit. Luca scooted over, and gave a warm smile.

“Is… there something I can do for you?”

“Actually,” said Adrian, “yes.” Luca looked a bit surprised at that, but stayed quiet and urged Adrian to go on.

“I know… I know it might be awkward between you and I sometimes. We’ve only just met, and one day soon we’re supposed to be wed. And I just… I wanted us to be comfortable with each other. You know. To not feel ashamed or nervous.”

“I want that too,” Luca said quietly.

“I don’t want you to think I’m a bad or jealous guy or anything. But I would like to spend some more time with you. I feel like our conversations are as curt and polite as my conversations with General Clarion, and she’s not much of a conversationalist.” Luca smiled at that, and gave a small laugh.

“No, that she isn’t.” Adrian smiled back, glad Luca seemed to enjoy his company.

“I’d just like the chance to get to know you a bit better. You seem like a high quality person, and it would be a shame for me to miss out on any of that.” At that, Luca’s face went stoic again and he drew his knees and blanket to his chest.

“I’m not sure about that entirely. How great of a guy I am, I mean. After all… well, I guess you know my past. I haven’t hidden anything.” Adrian nodded, and kept up his smile.

“I came to Nabius of all places to find a husband. The fact that you’ve only killed a couple of people instead of dozens is a relief in itself.” He smiled wider, but the joke didn’t have its intended effect on Luca. Instead, the young man seemed to frown deeper and withdraw further. Adrian kicked himself mentally, and set a hand on Luca’s knee.

“Look. I don’t care about your past. You’re a wonderful person so far, and I’m sure you always will be.” Luca looked up at him with wide blue eyes, and nodded.

“Thank you.”

“Of course.” Time went by slowly, and the empty air began to get awkward before Adrian cleared his throat and spoke up again.

“There’s something else I’d like to talk to you about.”
“Yes?”

“May I – may I kiss you?” Luca’s eyes went wide, and his hands fell limp at his sides. He didn’t move from his position in the bed, and continued staring at Adrian in confusion. Adrian felt the stare pierce straight through to the core of his being, and was relieved when Luca broke it to give a small nod yes.

Yes. Yes!

“Ah. Um. Okay.” Adrian leaned forward slowly at first, pausing when his nose touched Luca’s. The space between their lips grew smaller and smaller, until Adrian could feel the soft pink skin of Luca’s lips meet his.

They pushed together slightly, and Luca stayed still for a small period of time. Then, he began to respond. His lips parted slightly, and his hands ran along Adrian’s shoulders. Adrian reached out to wrap his arms around Luca’s back as well, the blood rushing through his body and his nerves pinging heat and sensation everywhere. They pressed chests together, and it was not long before Adrian was on top of Luca, grinding his stiffened member into the younger man’s thigh.

This is heaven, Adrian thought, there can’t be any feeling better than this. It was his first kiss, and Adrian felt he was the luckiest man alive to have it with someone so beautiful. His thoughts raced of going further and loving Luca to the point of absolute pleasure, before reality yanked him back to the present situation.

Luca was panicking, and gently pushed off and out from under Adrian. The prince was confused until he heard the soft sounds of quickened breathing. Luca had turned red and had tears welling in the corners of his eyes. He grasped at the sheets, before turning to look at Adrian.

“I’m so sorry,” he sputtered between breaths, clearly still upset.

“No, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to… I hope… was I really that bad?” Luca looked confused, before realization dawned on him and he almost looked like he was going to smile in between fits of anxious spasms.

“No, no. You weren’t bad. I just – I see… all I can feel – is others. Men. From my past.” Adrian let this sink in, and looked at Luca with sadness.

“Oh. I feel awful, I didn’t even think about that… why you didn’t want to – before.” Luca shook his head, but tears came back into his eyes seemingly against his will.

“No, I’m sorry. It isn’t fair to you, I know that. And I understand if you don’t want me anymore.”

“What? Luca, I… it doesn’t matter. I already told you your past doesn’t bother me. Why would I ever not want you?” Luca looked down, and mumbled his reply.

“I just – I can’t.”

“You can’t what?” Luca nodded towards Adrian’s erect and quite obvious member straining against the soft fabric of his pants, and spoke again.

“I can’t.” Adrian immediately felt the blood in his body transfer from his erection to his cheeks, and adjusted himself to be covered more modestly.

“Oh. Uh, I see.” It was disappointing news, but Adrian understood, and more than anything felt guilty at throwing himself on top of Luca.

Of course he wouldn’t like that! What kind of an idiot am I?

“I’m sorry.” Adrian looked at his clearly guilt-ridden fiancé, and felt deep compassion.

“No, Luca. You have nothing to be sorry for. I’m sorry. You… you don’t ever have to do anything you don’t want to. And that will still hold true when you’re king alongside me.” Luca looked up at him and gave a small smile of thanks. “But,” said Adrian, which made Luca look anxious again, “may I hug you, at least?” Luca relaxed once more, and spoke quietly.

“Yes. Of course.” Adrian reached in for a squeezing hug, burying his face in Luca’s light hair and inhaling deeply. His heart pounded against Luca’s body, but he couldn’t help but feel sad for this boy who had managed such a difficult life.

“I’m going to retire to my room now. Goodnight, Luca.”

“Goodnight.”

***

Alex stood at the brink of his doorway, escorting the last of the generals out of his home and giving his mother formal goodbyes. They grasped each other’s arms just below the elbow, and spoke parting words.

“It has been an honor to host you in my home, General Clarion. I hope sincerely to see you again soon.”

“And the same to you General Di Coteau.” Ysabel gave a rare smile, the kind that conveyed genuine warmth rather than her usual look that typically indicated glee in looking forward to some act of heinous violence. “I suppose the field will be our next meeting?”

“I suppose,” Alexandre said grimly. “Though if Talia is successful in her endeavors, we’ll have quite a bit less to worry about on that front.”

“She will be successful,” Ysabel replied forcefully. Alex nodded.

“It was good to see you doing well mother. The dissolution of our family… I’m glad it has not provoked you so much recently.” He chose his words carefully and looked for any sign of the demon, but Ysabel continued smiling and it seemed not to be present.

“It has been hard, I’ll admit. But nothing will ever keep me from protecting what I have left. Not even myself.” Alex smiled back.

“I know. And now I would ask that you stay alert and ready to protect Talia in the south should something happen. I have faith in her, but be prepared.”

“Of course.”

“And mother? About Du Vance… I don’t think we should underestimate him completely. He has a strong vantage point behind our line, even if he doesn’t have men to hold it.”

“I agree. I knew Talia would protest, so I didn’t bring it up before she left; but, I’m going to have Jezebel take command of his generalship.” Alex frowned instantly, and now felt annoyed that Talia wasn’t here to protest.

She’d be right to.

“Jezebel? Jezebel?” Alex openly questioned his mother with his expression, and she went quiet and moody.

“I know. I agree it’s not ideal, that little bitch deserves nothing. But we need someone there as a replacement for the old man, and we’ve got no one else. I actually would have suggested your man Luca, had he not gotten engaged to the Illjardi recently.” Alex thought this over, and was surprised to hear it.

“I’m sure he would have been honored… but there’s no one else? I don’t trust Jezebel in the slightest, and I don’t want her having power in the war.”

“Neither do I. But luckily, Du Vance has next to no men and offers little in the way of wealth for the taking… his lands are barely even fertile. Plus, I have full command over Jezebel presently and she’s already in my home to the south.” Alex shrugged, deciding that it was at least something to keep her occupied and away from him.

“Well, prepare for her to sour it somehow. But I hope you see to it she can’t amass any kind of real strength in months to come.”

“Like I would let her. I’m not sure who’s dumber, her or her father.”

“On that, we agree.” Ysabel flashed another smile, this time back to one that seemed like she should be baring fangs.

“I’m off, my son. Be safe, and notify me immediately when you hear back from the Tomacians.”
“I will. Travel safely, mother.”

Thank you so much for reading! I really appreciate it, let me know what you think ;D
Copyright © 2016 VVesley; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a chapter, with a little sweetness wrapped in war preparations... I feel a bit sorry for both Adrian and Luca. I think they can have a good life together, if they get going. Now, with the war at hand and having only Jezebel (Really? Really!?!) to use as general... I'm beginning to doubt the marriage will ever happen. And then there's Eamon. So much is stacked against them, also making me hesitate whether I should root for Adrian to come away with his prize. Luca could quite possibly be facing a lot of diffcult decisions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I was a bit surprised that Luca has an aversion to sex due to his bad memories, but after thinking about it he has lived a monastic existence since arriving at the manor. Given his strong will, I believe he will overcome those bad memories.

 

Alex being distracted at such a critical time is troubling. This isn't the time. The idea of Jezebel attaining a generalship is terrible. She has already proved herself untrustworthy even for a very weak holding. Her father is only siding with them due to his own weakness and because Ysabel is extorting him. This move adds another weak link in their line.

 

Talia will make a wonderful general if she succeeds with her plan. This was a move which Ysabel and Alex should have seen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/12/2016 10:24 PM, drpaladin said:

I was a bit surprised that Luca has an aversion to sex due to his bad memories, but after thinking about it he has lived a monastic existence since arriving at the manor. Given his strong will, I believe he will overcome those bad memories.

 

Alex being distracted at such a critical time is troubling. This isn't the time. The idea of Jezebel attaining a generalship is terrible. She has already proved herself untrustworthy even for a very weak holding. Her father is only siding with them due to his own weakness and because Ysabel is extorting him. This move adds another weak link in their line.

 

Talia will make a wonderful general if she succeeds with her plan. This was a move which Ysabel and Alex should have seen.

I think Luca will too, but I definitely think it will take some work on his part. Luca hasn't had the easiest life. As for the others, the plot just thickens ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/12/2016 06:57 AM, Puppilull said:

What a chapter, with a little sweetness wrapped in war preparations... I feel a bit sorry for both Adrian and Luca. I think they can have a good life together, if they get going. Now, with the war at hand and having only Jezebel (Really? Really!?!) to use as general... I'm beginning to doubt the marriage will ever happen. And then there's Eamon. So much is stacked against them, also making me hesitate whether I should root for Adrian to come away with his prize. Luca could quite possibly be facing a lot of diffcult decisions.

Thank you! Hahaha, yes indeed, Jezebel. She's always there to complicate things at the right time, and Luca will definitely be at the center of a few plot lines. Thank you for reading and always leaving reviews!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Being completely oblivious of the fact that he no longer has control of Monciet, Alex is unaware he has a dangerous enemy at his back. I'm guessing he's aware of the "bureaucratic tie-up" delaying help from Tomacia and he's right to be a little anxious about that. Talias' plan seems to be the most decisive move they are taking atm, her success will help their cause immensely. As much as I dread Jezebel being made general, with any luck it may go some way toward taming her, though knowing her she'd probably feel slighted at being given generalship of such a poor region.

I wonder if some of Lucas' reluctance to be with Adrian is because he may still harbour some lingering feelings for Eamon. Speaking of, the fact he was seen headed to the training ring suggests he is coming out of his slump and looking to sort himself out. The stroy is moving along nicely with plenty to keep us guessing and hoping. Loving it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..