Jump to content

Resident Evil: Epidemic

   (1 review)
Fandoms: Resident Evil
Genres: Horror
Sub-genres: Horror - Modern

Kieran Johnson is just your average teenage boy in an average American town. He's out to his school and though they are accepting, his effeminate qualities keep him from having friends. Despite it all, he's generally happy. When the adorably shy boy named Lucas starts to show an interest in him, things start looking up. But something isn't quite right in the town of Raccoon City.

*This Story May Contain Scenes of Graphic Violence and Gore*
Copyright © 1996-2022 Capcom; All Rights Reserved; Disclaimer: This story is fan fiction. All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. I am in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of the Resident Evil franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.<br />

Story Recommendations (2 members)

  • Action Packed 2
  • Addictive/Pacing 0
  • Characters 0
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 0
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 0
  • Unique 1
  • World Building 1

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 2,592 Words
    • 3,692 Views
    • 1 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 3,043 Words
    • 2,109 Views
    • 1 Comments
  • 3. Chapter 3
    • 2,656 Words
    • 1,845 Views
    • 1 Comments
  • 4. Chapter 4
    • 2,475 Words
    • 1,824 Views
    • 1 Comments
  • 5. Chapter 5
    • 3,012 Words
    • 1,644 Views
    • 1 Comments
  • 6. Chapter 6
    • 2,591 Words
    • 32,611 Views
    • 1 Comments
  • 7. Chapter 7
    • 3,368 Words
    • 1,649 Views
    • 1 Comments
  • 8. Chapter 8
    • 2,697 Words
    • 1,731 Views
    • 0 Comments
  • 9. Chapter 9
    • 2,313 Words
    • 1,705 Views
    • 0 Comments
  • 10. Chapter 10
    • 3,363 Words
    • 1,436 Views
    • 0 Comments
  • 11. Chapter 11
    • 3,597 Words
    • 1,594 Views
    • 0 Comments
  • 12. Chapter 12
    • 3,580 Words
    • 1,759 Views
    • 0 Comments
  • 13. Chapter 13
    • 4,107 Words
    • 3,889 Views
    • 0 Comments
  • 14. Chapter 14
    • 4,806 Words
    • 15,323 Views
    • 2 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

ChillFire

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Raccoon City, September 1998.

The T-Virus, a bioweapon which turns people into mindless zombies, has contaminated the city’s drinking water. As its citizens become concerned over a “flu” that is going around, a series of random violence and cannibalism incidents occur throughout the city.

Meanwhile, Kieran, a 15-year-old attending Raccoon High, deals with his own personal problems. Being gay and effeminate, he doesn’t have any friends and is often the target of unscrupulous characters. When he meets some of his fellow GSA club members, however, things seem like they’re looking up.

And then the world goes to hell.

What I Loved

Seamless integration into the Resident Evil universe.

The ramp up of the zombie outbreak (hearing about the “flu”, seeing a “hobo”, etc…) was well executed. Seeing the infection slowly progress through the eyes of a regular citizen was fun to witness.

While this story is perfectly accessible to those who haven’t had any interaction with the Resident Evil franchise, there’s lots of little tidbits (references) here and there for the fans.

Spoiler

I really loved the arc where Kieran was infected with the T-Virus and nearly became a Tyrant. It was fun to read about the mutation process from the perspective of the victim who has the virus. Also, the fights versus a Hunter and a fully mutated Tyrant were especially gripping.

Mr. Bosley kissing Lucas’s dad was funny to see.

What Could’ve Been Better

Were there really GSAs in late 90s high schools with many members? It was a more ‘conservative’ time, after all.

Spoiler

The romance between Kieran and Lucas felt quite rushed. They went from just starting to date to admitting love within a day or two’s time.

To be honest, I wasn’t very enthused at first by the fact that this story’s climax takes place in an Umbrella lab. I think I would’ve enjoyed reading about the characters escaping from Raccoon City more. Save the hero stuff for the main protagonists, haha. (The Tyrant arc made up for this, though.)

The reloading from a prior save thing in chapter 13 was interesting. (It kinda reminded me of Live Selection from the original Resident Evil 3, where you can make choices which affect the storyline.)

It did shock me that they came that far only to give up at the end! However, I don’t think the concept added much in the end and could’ve been omitted with minimal losses.

Here are some potential lore inconsistencies that I spotted (though I’m not a Resident Evil expert, so sorry if any of these are wrong!):

  • Kieran and company see the tower of the Raccoon City Hospital, but the hospital was destroyed in the original Resident Evil 3.
  • Wasn’t the destruction of Raccoon City ordered by the President of the United States, not Umbrella?
  • How long were the survivor group in the school and the lab for? The city was destroyed on October 1st, but things really started going to hell around the end of September.

Miscellaneous Thoughts

Hmm, I wasn’t familiar with some of the plot elements, so I looked them up. Apparently, they come from the Resident Evil movies! I haven’t watched any of them, so it should be noted that this review comes from the perspective of someone who has only played the games.

Kieran only drinks filtered water? How convenient.

Did we really need two Jill Sandwich references? haha

Spoiler

Damn, the deaths of Dan, Tyler, and Kieran's mom were sad.

Wonder what’ll happen when the U.B.C.S. evacuates the survivors to an Umbrella facility, given that Mr. Bosley isn’t Dr. Macy.

Verdict

Given I recently binged a bunch of Resident Evil games recently since the release of Resident Evil Village, this seemed like a great candidate to read. The Raccoon City incident will always be the most interesting part of Resident Evil to me, and I had a great time looking at it through the eyes of regular citizens. While it is flawed, there are some interesting ideas here and I definitely enjoyed reading Resident Evil: Epidemic.

4 stars.

  • Love 1
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..