Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 2,171 Words
  • 880 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Change is Good - 23. Chapter 23 - And So Begins A New

Chapter 23: And So Begins A New

 

*Shawn*

 

“This can’t be how it ends. We’re supposed to be together. You can’t leave me now,” I wailed as I held his lifeless body in my arms. I looked up at Mark, a sick smile spread across his face as he walked up to us pressing the gun against my head.

“I’ll show you mercy and send you to the afterlife with your beloved.” Mark’s smile grew wider as he pulled the trigger and everything went black.

“Shawn…Shawn…Shawn!” I jumped up from the bed drenched in sweat. “Hey Shawn calm down, it was only a dream.” A dream; was everything just a dream?

“Where am I?” My head began to throb as memories of everything came back to me. “Where is Alex? What happened to Mark? What is..”

“Calm down Shawn. Take a breath.” I looked up and realized Ellen was standing at the foot of the bed. “We have Mark in custody so he shouldn’t be causing trouble anymore,” She said with a small smile. “All the stress must have been a bit much for you causing you to black out, which is how you ended up here in the hospital.” I felt my heart drop when she didn’t continue, in the silence I could only think of the bad news.

“What happened to everyone else?” I asked looking down at my hands preparing myself for what was to come.

Ellen took in a deep breath before gently sitting beside me on the hospital bed. “Your friends are fine. All of them came out relatively unscathed.” Ellen had me on pins and needles with her being so vague before she took a breath a continued. “Justin and Jason were treated for a few scrapes and bruises they received in the scuffle with Mark. Whomever was giving us inside details disappeared unfortunately, and we were not able to track them down.” Ellen took another deep breath before turning to me and smiling. “And if you move that curtain aside you will find someone special sleeping off his exhaustion from the whole affair.” I felt Ellen give my hand a gentle squeeze.

I could barely hold myself together. I jumped forward and wrapped her in a big hug. “What happened? How did everything turn out ok?” I asked as the tears began to flow.

Ellen separated us and wiped my tears away before she answered. “Well I had a sneaky suspicion someone was trying to play hero. Based on my gut I called in a few favors and had you looked after,” she revealed. “I was told they managed to catch up with the three of you as the main event took place. Thankfully the boys managed to knock Mark over as he fired his weapon. I haven’t read the formal report yet, but based on word of mouth, the element of surprise was just what they needed to apprehend Mark before things got too far out of hand.”

“I’m such and idiot. I should’ve just told you everything from the beginning. I’m sorry for being stubborn,” I said as I began to cry again.

“Ok, I’ve had it with the water works,” a voice announced as the door to the room opened wide. Tiffany and Austin came through the door first followed by Justin and Jason, both of which were sporting a few bandages here and there.

“Remind us not to agree to anymore of your poorly planned schemes,” Justin laughed as he made his way over to lightly punch me on the shoulder. I looked up at Justin and nodded with a smile. Jason came over and gave me a light pat on my shoulder.

Austin walked up and gave me a hug. “Have you checked on him yet?” He asked looking over to the other side of the room.

“Of course he hasn’t,” Tiffany mumbled loud enough for us all to hear. “I bet my last dollar he is to busy doubting himself, thinking he somehow messed up again.” I couldn’t tell if Tiffany was joking or not but when I looked over at her I could see the beginning of tears forming in her eyes. “He needs you just as much as you need him so don’t keep him waiting for too long,” she said to me quietly as she embraced me in a hug before leaving the room.

After a final round of hugs I found myself alone in the room. Taking a deep breath I slowly made my way over removing the curtain to see my beautiful boy sleeping peacefully. Without a second thought I carefully climbed into bed and wrapped myself around him. I buried my face in the crook of his neck and drifted off to a peaceful sleep for the first time in almost a week.

 

 

*Alex*

 

Everything felt like a dream. When I heard the gun go off and Shawn fall to the ground I assumed the worse. I cried out in grief falling to my knees feet next to him before I must have succumbed to exhaustion. As I slowly woke up I felt a warm presence wrapped around me. Sitting up very carefully I realized I was back in the hospital, but looking down to my side my breath caught in my throat and tears came to my eyes as I watched Shawn sleep. His arms were wrapped around me tightly, his legs intertwined with mine. Happy and still a bit sleepy I readjusted and slipped back into Shawn’s embrace feeling safe and content.

The next few weeks were a whirlwind of activity. I felt like I was being pulled in every direction at once. Shawn rarely left my side for extended periods of time. After a few conversations he finally relented and I finally managed to convince him to spend some time with the boys. Mark would be going to trial for charges ranging from kidnapping to attempted murder, along with the previous charges and it was very likely I would have to testify against him. I tried to get back into the groove with school and upcoming exams. I felt the weight of it all coming down on me at once.

I sighed in frustration as I threw my books across my room and collapsed onto my bed.

“Based on appearances, the absence on Shawn, and the mess that studying is going just as well for you,” Austin said as he peered into the doorway. “I think we could both use a break, how about getting dressed and coming with me?” He asked with a little hesitation clear in his voice.

I looked over towards the door and gave Austin my first genuine smile in a long time. “You know I think that is actually a really good idea.” I didn't put too much thought into what I was going to wear, thirty minutes later we were on our way to nowhere.

“So how have you been holding up?” He finally asked after we had been driving in silence for the last couple minutes.

“I have my good days and my bad days like everyone else I suppose,” I replied leaning out of the window enjoying the wind against my face. “Sometimes I feel like everything was all a dream. Other times it feels like a nightmare I can't wake up from.”

“I probably know the answer already, but have you talked to Shawn about any of this?” Austin looked over at me as we waited at a red light.

“No I haven't,” I said looking down at my lap. “He already has enough to deal with, I couldn't bring myself to put this on him too.”

Austin let out a sigh before pulling into the parking lot of my favorite local milkshake spot. Stepping out of the car Austin looked over the roof at me. “I can't make the things that happened go away, but I can do my best to make the here and now the best it can be, or at least help,” He said with a smile. “Now how about your favorite shake on me?” Austin announced as he gestured inside as he held the door open for me.

I gave Austin a big smile and a hug as I passed him on my way inside. “That, my good friend, may be the last mistake your wallet can handle.”

 

 

*Shawn*

 

Balls to the face are never a fun feeling, but that’s exactly what I got hanging with the guys. “Earth to Shawn! You still with us dude?” Justin asked as he helped me up.

“Yeah just a bunch of stuff on my mind,” I said I said halfheartedly.

“More like Alex,” Jason chimed in. “Face it Shawn you have been like this for weeks. The only time you are with us is when Alex forces you away.”

“Don't get me wrong we understand you wanting to be there for him, but you have give the little dude some space to breathe or you might end up making things worse,” Justin patted me on the back as we walked back to his place.

“I hate to be an even bigger buzz kill, but how do you think the trial is going to go?” Jason asked bringing drinks in for everyone.

“I honestly feel like it should be something of a cake walk, with Mark losing access to his parents funds and high power attorney,” I said taking a sip of coke, only to immediately spit it back out. “Jay what is this?” I asked looking at my drink in confusion.

“Well I figured it wouldn't hurt to help you relax a little bit it all,” Jason said. Justin tried to suppress a chuckle that eventually became full fledge hysterics amongst us all.

“Thanks guys you really are the best,” I smiled before raising my glass. Catching on to my meaning we all gently bumped glasses before taking a swig of our drinks.

After that day things seemed to even out for quite awhile. Alex was informed that the trial date was going to be pushed back. Apparently they wanted to have everything at their disposal to make this case was a slam-dunk. With no real representation for Mark, it seemed like the ball was in our court.

Finals came down on us hard and fast. The stress of the exams and focusing on making it to graduation was on the forefront of everyone's mind. Alex and I didn't do very much together those days outside of study sessions that usually ended up with us fast asleep on his bed still in our clothes.

“Free at last, free at last!” Austin yelled in excitement as he and Alex all but skipped to the parking lot. I stood back and watched them briefly from afar with a smile on my face watching the two of them.

“I can't believe how brutal exams were this year, I thought senior year was supposed to be a cake walk,” Justin moaned as we all followed behind the dancing fools.

“Well maybe it would’ve been if not for our parents suggesting we take those damn advanced courses second semester. Of course we do have Alex and Austin to blame for being such shining examples,” Tiffany glared at the two of them in good fun I think.

Alex and Austin had finally calmed down looking back at us arm in arm. “What can we say? We are the beacon of hope for this generation,” Alex smiled pleased with himself.

“Remind me; why we all hang with these nerds again?” Jason laughed coming up behind us.

“Because you like getting into our pants,” Austin proceeded to rub up against Alex on the hood of my car.

“That only counts for those two, how did we get caught in this web?” Justin chuckled.

“Oh that one is easy,” Alex smiled walking over and wrapping his arm around Tiffany. “This one has you wrapped around her finger and where one of us goes the other usually isn't too far behind.”

Justin, Jason, and I looked at one another before shrugging it off. “On to the next order of business. Seeing as how we all worked out rear ends off making sure we can actually graduate, how about we throw an end of the year bash for the senior class?” I suggested. Immediately I saw the queen of parties face light up and knew I had just lost any kind of control of planning this thing.

“That sounds like a great idea Shawn, so glad you decided to volunteer your time and beach house for such an event,” Tiffany responded with a smile.

“I don't believe I have much say in the matter at this point do I?” I laughed.

Alex came over to me and leaned back into my chest. “Nope my dear, I think at this point you have been told what is on the agenda,” he laughed as he spun around and kissed my cheek.

Sorry for the extended vacation, but I'm back with a whole new wave of inspiration and i hope to have new chapters out soon. Again I would like to thank my editors for all they do this would be what is is without them. Hope you all enjoy
Copyright © 2014 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..