Jump to content
    Yanks13
  • Author
  • 9,108 Words
  • 2,768 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Primary Target - 13. Chapter 13

Oh man! I totally wasn’t expecting – well, maybe it was hopeful ignorance that my boys wouldn’t need it – the two a.m. feedings. Or the four a.m. ones. Or the six a.m. ones. It’s been a week and a half and I feel like I’m on zero sleep. But I can live with it. I’m still happy overall. Maybe a touch crankier than usual, but generally happy.

Once I brought the twins home from hospital, both were little angels cooing and flailing their limbs and they tried to figure them out. I got them inside and Dad leapt at the chance to hold one of his grandsons – Conner held the other. I had to convince him that if he wanted kids, then he’d have to get over this weird paranoia that he had. At first he wasn’t sure what to do with Ryan, but after a bit, he eased into the role and now, he picks up his nephews carefully but with more confidence in himself. So far the boys have eased into the household rather well, with little fussing or crying, much to my relief.

“Hey Dad, can you watch the boys for a few seconds? I want to tell Conner and Richie the big news,” I smiled at my own father.

“Sure son. Take your time – I’ve got these little guys covered.” I shook my head as I grabbed Mace’s arm just as he entered the room.

“What’s up babe?” he asked not resisting my pull. I eventually let go of him and he just followed.

“It’s time to tell them – I can’t hold it in any longer!”

“Ah, that. Okay babe – I’ll follow your lead.”

Richie and Conner were watching TV in the living room, playfully arguing over what to watch. “How can you not see that CSI is a great show?” Conner fired the first shot.

“It’s dumb,” Richie said. “We’ve had enough drama recently as it is. I don’t need fake drama. I'd rather watch Star Trek!”

“And it’s time we add some more, dear brothers,” I said as Mason and I stood next to each other. I held a serious, almost pissed face and Mason caught on quickly and adopted the same facial characteristics.

“Uh oh, what’s going on?” Conner said as he flipped the TV off. “I haven’t seen that look on your face since Dad told us we were moving. Did… you two have a fight?”

“You tell him, Mace.”

“No, you tell him!”

“Ugh,” I said as I grabbed my head in mock frustration. “Fine, I guess I’ll do the hard work.” I semi-glowered at Mace and he turned away in faked disgust. I loved the reaction on both of our brothers’ faces.

“Hey, we can fix this, right Con?” Richie asked. “Mace, what’s going on?”

“Ask him. He’s the one that asked me.”

“Wait what?” Richie started to get upset. “Guys, c’mon here. What’s up?”

I chose to show mercy on a confused Conner and Richie. “We’regettingmarried!!” I squealed together in one huge word I couldn’t contain my excitement any longer. I was visibly vibrating as Mason put forward his hand with the ring on it, also glowing.

“Say that again – slower please for the older folks?” Conner asked.

“We’re…” I wiggled my index finger between Mason and myself, indicating the two of us.

“Uh huh.”

“Getting…”

“Yeah…”

“Married!”

“What?!” Conner and Richie shouted at the same time, completely floored. But as shock wore off, both of them started to grin, the younger Richie bouncing up and down around the two of us.

“Oh my God!” Richie shouted. “I’m so happy for the both of you! I’m getting two brothers-in-law finally!” He hugged the crap out of Mason before he did the same for me. Once he let go of me and smoothed out my clothes, he turned to his brother. “So, that means you’re a dad now too?”

“By marriage I suppose,” Mason beamed.

“Cool! I’m an uncle!” Richie screamed out the door. “Dad! Dad! I’m an uncle!”

“Damn he’s cute,” Conner laughed. “Okay, I don’t really have much to add to what that little spitfire that just left said. Congratulations you two!” Conner hugged Mason and then he picked me up and spun me around the room once. “Didn’t I tell you that you’d get your shot, little bro? Didn’t I?”

“You did. So did Jared, and Dad, and Tom, and Josh, and… need I go on?”

“I get the point,” he chuckled. “So when’s the big day?”

I looked at Mason and he looked at me – both of us haven’t really talked about a date for the wedding. “We… haven’t gotten that far yet. You’ll be among the first to know, since… you know, I’m hoping… you’ll be my best man Con?”

His right hand flew to his forehead. “Shut up! Of c-course I’ll be your best man, bro! I’d be thrilled beyond belief!” Again, he twirled me around the room.

“I’m not sure how you can do it, but I’d like Jeanne to come too. She treated me like I should’ve been treated while you two dated. Can you get in touch with her for an address if you don’t have one?”

Tears pooled in his eyes. “I-I can try, Xan.”

I suddenly felt horrible asking that of my brother, putting him in that difficult spot. “Oh shit! Is it too soon, Conner? Damn it, I wasn’t thinking about–”

“N-No Xan. It’s okay. I’ve wanted to talk to her a lot lately and I’ve just been putting it off. I’ll call her real soon – I just got to figure out the time difference between here and Bordeaux…” He stopped. “Thanks for at least remembering how much she meant to me.”

“No sweat, bro, “ I said as I hugged him. Just then, Richie came into the room holding one of the twins.

“Scott’s being fussy with his grandpa so Dad thought maybe you could calm him down?” the younger boy asked.

“Sure, I’ll take him,” I said. Once my son was in my arms, I reverted in intelligence. “Aw, is Scotty being fussy? Let’s see if we can fix that!” Almost instantly, the boy’s arms slowed down and a curious look befell his face before that baby smile crossed his little face. He raggedly reached up and got his hand on my face. “Yep! That’s Daddy’s face! You’re trying to get my nose, aren’t you? Sorry, but you can’t have it!”

“Da–Crap,” Richie said, changing his word choice as I glared at him. I don’t want my boys to hear too many swear words. God knows they’ll learn how to use them once they get to middle school. But I guess if they say it, I’ll have to explain why it’s bad and there are other choices. But I’m getting ahead of myself – they won’t be talking for a few months at least, right? Richie snapped his fingers as he said, “Scott just settled down just like that with you. Dad was saying he was trying stuff for like twenty minutes.”

“If Ryan is fussing too, I’ll take him too. It’s almost time for their naps anyway.”

“Hey Rich,” Mason said as his brother almost bolted out of the room.

“Yeah?” he said as he came back.

“Well, Xander just asked Conner to be his best man, so now not to fall behind I need to pick mine too. Will you stand by me, bro, and be it?”

Tears pooled in Richie’s eyes as he buried his face into Mason’s chest. Vigorously, he nodded his head up and down rapidly. “I-I was hoping… y-you’d ask me. I-I thought maybe you’d want one of your friends or–”

“No silly,” Mason chuckled a bit. “You were always going to be my first choice, no matter what.” Richie wiped his eyes. “Now run along and fetch little Ryan, would you?”

“Sure,” he beamed and practically floated out of the room.

“I think you just made that kid’s millennium,” I laughed.

“Too true.” Mason frowned. “I feel a bit bad for him. Some of his friends aren’t sticking with him now that he’s ‘normal’ again. I think some of his friends only were because he was amusing to those kids. I’m not sure how many he actually has now.”

“You can’t force friendships, Mace,” I sighed. “As much as you want to. They’ll happen in time.” Richie came in with a screaming Ryan. I handed Scott over to my fiancée and took Ryan from Richie. I did practically the same things and Ryan quieted down, though it took a few seconds longer. I looked over and saw Scott sleeping peacefully in Mason’s arm. “My boys… all three of them are so cute.”

“You’re silly,” Mason giggled.

“C’mon, let’s put the boys to bed for their nap.”

 


 

“So who’s going to be ushering for us, babe?” Mason called from the office. He was working on one of his last reports of the school year.

“I was thinking two apiece for us, so we’d have three standing with us including our best men,” I called back. Mason came back into the room, a freshly printed report in hand. He sat with me at the table, a mess of papers of my own in front of me. “I was thinking we should have the date after Jared moves up here so he can be one. The other I’d want would be Josh.”

“Was thinking the same thing, babe,” Mason said as he kissed my forehead. “I’ll ask Ben and Eric tomorrow at school.”

“Wait! We should throw an engagement party! And show off the boys at the same time!” I stood up in excitement. “Then I can ask Josh to stand up with me – I’ll assault Jared with the baby, the engagement, and the request all at once later. He’ll be so happy I don’t know what Jared will do.”

“Okay,” Mason smiled. “I like the party idea. I’ll play host if the babies act up or get fussy or whatever.”

“Okay, but next party we throw I’ll play host and you can take care of the twins – you need to realize that you’re their dad now too if we’re getting married.”

“Man,” he sighed. “It still hasn’t sunken in – both things! I’m an engaged man and a father to boot!”

“Well, get used to it – it’s your turn for diaper duty,” I laughed as I heard over the monitor both boys awake and cranky.

“The wedding’s off!” Mason stuck his tongue out at me as he smiled and headed into the nursery. Suddenly, I heard Dad’s disembodied voice.

Son, you there?” he called. I just noticed a speaker built into the wall by our old bedroom door – Dad liked the idea and quickly and efficiently made that door vanish. I mean, no sense in shutting two doors once we get in for the day. I told everyone that if the door wasn’t locked or it was open for them to feel free to come into the apartment – I guess that’s what I should call it from now on. But anyway, if the door is locked, I told them to knock first. I guess they could buzz into the apartment if needed too, now that I know the ability’s there.

I went up to it and pressed a button, hoping it was the right one. “Yeah, Dad?”

Son, I need you to bring Mason downstairs. It’s rather important.

I didn’t like the sound of that tone. “Okay Dad we’ll be down in a second.” Mason strolled in, holding both boys in his arms, freshly changed. Both seemed relaxed with him just like me. That’s good – Mason’s their dad now too and I’d hate for them to favor me, even if half of me is in them. I took Ryan from him. “We need to go downstairs. Dad said something’s up and it’s kind of important. He really only asked for you, but I’m going with to support my future husband.”

Mason swallowed as we left the sanctuary of our apartment, but not before I grabbed two stuffed toys for the boys. Each held them and swung them around like whips and I just laughed when little Ryan clobbered Mason in the face. But then Mace laughed when Scott got me. The serious look came back at the top of the stairs. “Do you know what’s up?”

“No clue. Just asked for you to come down.”

We cleared the stairs and entered the kitchen. As soon as we did, I wish I could’ve turned around with Mason and the boys and walked out.

“So… I see that you’re still with… him. Well, that won’t matter anymore any way. Mason, I’ve come back to take you boys home.”

“W-What?” Mason exclaimed. I passed Ryan off to Dad for a second and scooped Scott from Mason’s arms – I didn’t want him accidentally dropping our son – before I took Ryan back into my free arm. Mason’s mother sat across from Dad at the breakfast bar. Behind her, a rather impressive man in a sharp business suit sat, impassive. I assumed him to be either a boyfriend or a lawyer – maybe both if the whore uses bodily fluids and actions as her credit card.

“Mason don’t say anything else. Not until my own lawyer gets here and can advise us. The man sitting behind Ms. Jackson is her lawyer.”

“Bill Watson, esquire,” the man stood and proffered a hand towards Mason. He didn’t shake it. I decided to be a little polite and took it awkwardly when he swung it towards me. I was about to introduce myself but I saw Dad catch my eye – it was that look that told me to stay quiet, so I did after I said my name. I took the seat next to Dad with both boys in tow. I watched as my boys interacted with one another. I always found it cute when they’d poke each other with a foot or even hold hands in that baby way – sort of almost but not really. I made sure they saw their stuffed animals and both boys latched onto their favorites. A knock sounded at the door and Dad went and got it. Mason took Dad’s former seat and helped me with Scott by taking him into in own arms, calmed down now the initial shock wore off.

Dad returned with a suit of his own and a familiar one at that. “Mr. Jones?” I inquired.

“Ah, Xander. Seems like you’re in better spirits since I saw you last. And who are these little guys?”

“Mason’s holding Scott and I’ve got Ryan. They’re my sons.” I really wanted to say our sons, implying Mason and I both, but with Ms. Jackson so close and her lawyer on a tight leash, I felt I should err on the side of caution. I could always tell him later.

“Really?” Evan’s dad seemed genuinely surprised, but pushed it away as he put on his game face. “I’ll ask about that later. Bill.”

“Sam,” Bill nodded to Dad’s lawyer. Dad suggested we move the conversation to a more comfortable location and all parties agreed. Mason and I sat with the boys on the loveseat once we all stepped into the living room. Dad and Sam moved the recliner to face the couch a bit more. Dad also slid the rocking chair over – one me and Mason have used many times to help the boys sleep when they’re being a little more stubborn than normal and don’t want their naps.

“Now what is this about?” Sam asked with a hint of annoyance once everyone was seated and comfortable. “It’s rather late and I was easing into my house for dinner when I got this phone call.”

“As was I,” Mr. Watson said as he looked at Ms. Jackson. “I’ll get straight to the point – my client wants her sons back.”

“She needs to show that’s she capable of being a parent again,” Sam said quite quickly. “Not prone to disappear for months at a time, leaving her natural born children to some deranged stranger. Dirk here is legally their father for all intents and purposes.”

“I loved Eddie, you bastard!” Ms. Jackson snapped.

“Do not use that kind of language in front of my children!” I snapped, causing four adult heads to swivel in our direction. Ms. Jackson stared at me incredulously while Dad and the lawyers seemed unfazed. I was pissed and I glowered back at the woman. I really couldn’t read her face but it wasn’t long before she turned back to the adult conversation, Dad and the lawyers already at that point. I caught Dad’s eye and he gave me a thumbs up when Ms. Jackson and her lawyer weren’t looking. I smiled slightly.

“In any case, the DCF has a case of child abandonment ready to go if needed, not to mention the last time she was in this very house she signed away all her legal, parental rights to my client as I stated a few seconds ago. Oh, and there’s also the point where she almost abused a minor. What makes you think she won’t act on those intentions once she gets her sons back?”

“My client admits to being of impaired mental faculty when she was here last.”

Sam turned to my Dad. He whispered a few things before his attention turned to Mason. “Mason, how old are you?”

“I’ll be fifteen in about a month.”

“Then the minor has the right to choose his place of residence in this case,” Sam brought up. “He’s of the age of consideration.”

Bill and Ms. Jackson conferred with one another. I took the time to glance down at Ryan on my knee and lightly bounced him. He cooed with happiness and attempted to clap his hands. Mason was busying himself with Scott, trying to keep the tyke entertained and his mind off the discussion. Mace didn’t look too happy.

“What about her other son, Richard?” Bill brought up. “I’m under the impression that he’s only twelve at most. He’s certainly not of the age of consideration.”

“True, but Mason’s choice will weigh heavily with a judge if you decide to take this to court. For the both of them.” It looked like Mason’s mother was losing her case even before it hit the courtroom – much to my relief. I glanced at the woman and I could see Ms. Jackson shaking with a livid rage, barely held in. I caught Dad’s eye and mouthed to him to look at her. He did and I think he saw what I did.

Dad smirked ever so slightly.

He whispered to Sam who only nodded, not saying anything or revealing what he and Dad discussed. Still hanging onto Sam’s ear, he said, “Should we make sure that she’s not to have any contact with them ever again or risk getting thrown in jail if she does?” Dad made it a whisper that was a little louder than it should’ve been – but done purposefully, if I knew my father.

That blew the cork off the woman.

A howl escaped her throat as she lunged for Dad, but Bill caught her in flight. Her scream startled all four of us on the loveseat, setting the twins into a crying fit. I held Ryan to my chest, shushing him that everything was okay and slowly, once Ms. Jackson’s rage fizzled, so did Ryan’s tantrum. Mason had similar success with Scott.

“Clearly your client is totally out of control,” Sam frowned. “I’ll make sure the judge hears about this if you pursue the idea of taking this to court.” Realizing her gig was up, she made her way towards the door but Mason stopped her. Before he said anything, he handed me Scott again and put himself between her and me holding the twins.

“Mom, just so you know,” Mason said with his own controlled rage. “The boy behind me is my boyfriend and partner, just like I said last time you were here. Things have developed and he’s now actually my fiancé. We’re getting married. And you are not invited. Those babies behind me would be your grandchildren. Take a good, long look at them because that’s the last time you’ll see them. I hope to never see you again. Good day, mother.” Mason turned his back on her and decided to pick Ryan up this time, leaving me with Scott. “How are my boys doing?” he said with a happy smile on his face, the rage gone from my husband’s person.

“Let’s go,” Bill urged forcefully as I watched Ms. Jackson wanting to do something to Mason – most likely strangle him – but Bill grabbed her. The two of them left the room and our house, hopefully to never set foot here again.

 


 

Dad, Conner, Richie, and Mason saw to it to make sure all of our friends were comfortable. As a last request, I also invited Evan over, mostly as thanks for the things he’s done for me since I’ve moved here. Dad… might have had to suggest it, especially since we called upon his father for legal help on a spur of the moment kind of thing.

I held both boys in my arms, taking a deep breath and kicked the door twice, signaling that I was about to bring the boys in. Ryan and Scott were practically asleep, but were fighting it with big baby yawns. Richie hung by the door, awaiting the signal and relayed to Mason as per the plan. I heard him say, “Hey, can I have a moment, guys? Xander and I have a few announcements to make to all of you.” On cue, Richie pulled the door open and I strolled in, holding my babies in my arm proudly. “We’d like you all to meet Scott and Ryan Jacobs – Xander’s sons.”

In a flash, both Kat and Jess were next to me. “Aww!” both girls squealed quietly – the boys were now really sleepy, almost time for their nap. It was early Saturday afternoon and, actually since consulting the VCR clock, their nap was supposed to start about ten minutes ago. I figured I could pay for it later, when they wake up at like three in the morning, unable to sleep any more.

“Can I hold one?” Jess asked. I nodded – I felt safest with Jess and Josh holding my kids since they have a few younger siblings and most likely held them at certain points. True to form, she picked Ryan up like she was a mother herself, supporting his head with her arm. Kat, a quick study – and maybe having a hand in helping Jess – was equally as skilled at keeping Scott’s head cradled. The two walked around and showed my boys off to the boys. Evan seemed the least fazed – his dad might have mentioned something to him. He was smiling at the very least.

“Man, Xan I didn’t think it really happened,” Ben said with a bit of a whistle. “So… how was it, even if it was rape?” He grinned but it was short-lived when Eric punched his shoulder – pretty hard. “Ow! Hey!”

“That was pretty brutal, Benedict,” Eric glowered. “Totally uncool of you. You don’t ask a rape victim how it was! That’s like asking a burn victim if it was hot or something!”

“Geez, sorry! I was just kidding, really! Xan, you know I didn’t mean to upset you, right?”

“Well, sort of,” I said as my eyes watched the girls with my sons. They brought my boys over to Josh and he tickled both of their bellies. I heard a few baby giggles and I smiled. I focused back on Ben and Eric for a second. “But if you must know, I was unconscious when it happened, thankfully. So I don’t think about it. On the other hand, Mace is very talented with his mouth.”

“Ugh! I did not need to hear that!” Ben almost screamed.

That’s what you get for asking a rape victim how it was, as Eric said,” I grinned. Eric just shrugged with a smile and a high five offered. I guess being around his brother and brother’s boyfriend has desensitized him to those kinds of comments. “I like how you didn’t cringe at my joke, Eric. Stevie and Adrian?” He nodded with a rueful smile.

“Isn’t that the truth?” he shook his head. “I love my brother, really I do. But he doesn’t need to share every, single, detail with me about how Adrian is in bed. I swear, I have a running gay porn reel permanently lodged in my brain starring my brother.”

“If I could, I’d relieve you of that burden, Eric,” Mason grinned. “But I guess I don’t need that now that I have Xan here.”

“Babe, I think we need to move things along,” I suggested. “It’s already past Ryan and Scott’s naptime.” I watched as Jess and Kat brought my sons over to Ben and Eric. I watched as both boys held up their hands, not wanting to hold my sons, explaining they didn’t want responsibility if they ended up hurt. If they didn’t think they should hold a baby, so be it. At least they’re being honest.

“Run them up to their cribs and I’ll wait until you come back down. Or maybe Conner, Richie, or Dad–”

“I’ll do it!” Richie jumped up happily. “I love my little nephews! I’ll gladly put them down for their naps.” Eagerly, Richie took them carefully from Jess and Kat and disappeared out the door.

“Okay, now for announcement number two,” Mason said. “Xan, this one’s on you, babe.”

I laughed a bit as I saw Josh and Evan chatting amicably in the far corner but paused for our announcement. “Well…” I felt myself blush.

“Aw, he’s blushing,” Jess said, teasing me.

“Shush, or he’ll never tell you all,” Mason said with a giggle.

“Well, the thing is… I asked Mason to marry me.” I stared out into a room full of stunned faces. Even calm, cool and collected Evan seemed taken aback from this. But he was the first shaken out of his trance. He raised a glass and tapped on it, breaking everyone else out of their stupor.

“Congratulations you two. I honestly think you’re a bit young, but sometimes love strikes early and true. To a happy future.” Everyone else grabbed glasses and said the same thing.

“Do you think we should spring the last item on them now or wait a bit?” I asked Mason.

“There’s more?” Josh asked. “I don’t know how much more I can take!” Everyone laughed a bit. “I mean, what, you’re going to ask some of us to stand with you?” I tapped my nose, grinning as Josh looked a bit startled he guessed it.

“Yeah, in fact we’d like it if you, Eric, and Ben stood with us – you, Josh, with me, and the other two knuckleheads with Mace.” I looked at Jess and Kat. “I want to work you two into the wedding too, I just don’t know how yet.”

Evan shook his head. “Little one, I’m truly amazed at you.” He set his glass down. “I think it’s time I take my leave. I have some college classes to get ready for. Thanks for the invite, by the way.”

“Evan?” I asked as he neared the door. He stopped but didn’t look back. “If you hear anything new on the Bates front, you’ll let us know?” He simply nodded and left. A few minutes later we all heard his Civic peel out of the driveway.

Josh stepped up to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. “Hordie, I’d be honored to stand with you.”

“Same here, Mason,” Eric stepped up and shook my future husband’s hand. Ben stepped up and patted him on the back.

“So that now completes my side,” Mason grinned.

“Oh?” Josh asked. “You still need another, Xan?”

“I should have it covered.”

“Have what covered?” That voice!

“Jared!” I ran over and leapt into his arms as he dropped a bag.

“Easy there bud!” Jared laughed. “I just got off the plane and am jet-lagged.”

“Oh, everyone, you all remember Jared, my best friend from Ohio and future housemate when he visited last, right? Jared, in case you forgot, these are Ben Chapman, Eric Kramer, Josh and Jess Rogers, and Katrina Schmidt. Kat for short. These guys took the place of the Sandusky crew – not that any of them could be replaced, mind you.”

“I got you bud,” Jared said, but I don’t think he’s paying attention to me any longer. His eyes were locked onto one of the females of the room while at the same time both Jess and Kat were practically drooling over Jared. I couldn’t help but laugh at those three not to mention the awkward stares coming from the guys. Jared snapped back. “W-What?”

“You know, you have a room here now,” I said while trying to contain my laughter. “Maybe you have the time for a threesome?” I lost it then and fell to the floor laughing. I laughed even harder when I saw all three of them in various stages of blushing.

“Xan, you’re such a prick sometimes!” Jess huffed. Kat simply came over and slapped my shoulder hard once I stood up. While Jess and Kat turned away, I mouthed to Jared we’d talk later and he nodded, but he smiled.

I suddenly lost my humor. “Oh, Jared. I’m sorry about Tom, by the way. Dad told me. Really sorry.” I stepped over and wrapped him up in a hug. He just simply patted me on the back.

“Thanks, Xan,” he said as he wiped away a tear. “We’ll talk about it later too.”

“Well, I hope you’re up for a party of sorts as I just laid some news on the gang here and I get to repeat the announcements for you, just in a different order than before. I’ll start with me and Mason.”

“You two didn’t break up, did you?” he asked forlornly.

“Quite the contrary,” Mason spoke up as he leaned into my back and threw his arms over my chest. “See anything different on me?” Jared glanced around Mason, trying to discern what was different. He stopped cold.

“That’s… that’s Dirk ring…” Slowly, the pieces fell into place. “Holy shit! Dude! You two… getting married?!”

“Yep.” I smiled as Mason kissed my cheek and stood up, hands resting on my shoulders.

“That’s… that’s incredible, bud. I’m really, truly happy for you – for the both of you.” I think I saw Jared shed a tear for me. Aw, how cute!

“Jared are you crying?” I had to ask.

“Yeah, I am,” he said with a smile on his face. “I’m just so happy for my brother. Really, I still remember you sulking in my room swearing up and down that you’d never get to see some of your dreams come true. And look – it’s falling into place!”

“Aw, that’s cute Xan,” Kat said with a smile. “You had a five-year plan for the end of high school, huh?”

I giggled a bit. “You could say that – just fast-tracked a bit as of late.” I turned back to Jared. “Second bit of news, wedding-related. Would you stand with me as an usher? Sorry bro but I had to ask Conner for the best man spot. You were second when I found you were moving up here.”

“Alex, I totally understand you had to ask Conner first. In fact, I think I’d be offended if you asked me before your blood brother. But I’m touched you’d even still ask me. Surely you have another friend here that would, right?”

“Yeah,” I smiled. “That friend is you, silly. Like you said, we’re brothers.”

“I’d stand with you whenever and wherever, dude. You know that.” I think Jared’s tears flowed faster now. Just then, the sound of one of my twins gurgled across the intercom with faint whisperings from Richie to them – I found one in the nursery and Dad told me I could have the sounds broadcast from that room.

“What… was that?” Jared asked. He glanced around the room – no one made mention of it and looked around, hopefully acting confused. I smirked knowingly.

“Let’s go find out.” I grabbed a hold of Jared. “We’ll be right back.”

On the way, we ran into Alice, Jared’s mom. I quickly told her we’d be back down and I think she knew why – she smiled and said we’d talk in a bit once the party wore down. Jared looked at me a bit oddly. I really liked Alice – she easily took the place of my own mother when my real one was shot. I loved her just liked I loved Mom.

“Xan, what was that? You’ve always taken the time to stop and talk to my mom. What’s up?”

“You’ll understand soon enough.” We reached the top of the stairs. “Do you know why you’re moving in with us, by the way?”

“The only thing Mom was willing to tell me was that Dirk got her a good teaching job – she just didn’t say where. She also mentioned something about a part-time job on the side of that, but she didn’t say what. She did say Dirk offered us some rooms here that would be far cheaper than renting our own place, so it was a no-brainer in her mind. I mean, we’re all practically family!” He saw the redone hallway. “You guys do some renovations since I was here last?”

“Yeah, your room will be here – right next to my and Mason’s little ‘apartment’.”

“No shit?” I inwardly grimaced. I hoped my boys didn’t pick that up. We stepped into the room.

“Yeah, we got our own kitchen, office, dining set – you name it. Just for the record, you’re free to come and go unless the door is locked – then Mace and I might be… busy.” I blushed at the mention of me and Mason quite possibly having hot, steamy, passionate sex if the door was locked.

“You horn dog!” Jared laughed. I heard one of my boys squeal a bit and I saw Jared face scrunch up as he heard it too. “Seriously, is the house creaking or something? I keep hearing things!” We entered my apartment and I stopped just short of the nursery.

Richie came out and almost crashed into Jared. He was empty-handed, luckily. “Oh…Jared, right?”

“Yep, that’s me. Sounds like you’re back to normal, little dude.”

“Yep, talking is roughly back to normal,” Richie laughed nervously – he wasn’t particularly fond of this subject. “Sometimes I stress out and relapse a bit, but otherwise I’m good to go.” He looked at me. “Did you tell him yet?” Subtly, he flicked his head towards the nursery. I shook my head. “Okay, I’ll go check and see if Mace needs anything. Good to see you again, Jared.”

“You too, Richie,” Jared called after Richie as he left the apartment. “So, what’s this third thing you wanted to tell me?”

“I think I’d rather show than tell,” I said. “Just be a little quiet, just in case, okay?”

“What? Did you get a puppy? Is it sleeping?”

“Close… oh so close,” I grinned. “But yeah, they might be sleeping.” I opened the door before Jared could ask any more questions. I flicked on the light and checked on the twins since I was in the room. Both Ryan and Scott were sleeping soundly – for the moment at least. Scott’s left foot twitched a bit, most likely dream-related. I lovingly ran a finger against his cheek and did the same for Ryan. I looked at Jared’s reaction and started to frown. He didn’t look too happy for some reason. I pushed him back out of the nursery and stepped him over towards the bedroom area. “Jared, what’s wrong?”

“Whose are they?”

“Promise me you’ll let me explain before you get any angrier than you apparently are now?”

“Xander–”

“Promise me or I’m not telling you!”

He grumbled out a “Fine.” I don’t know why, but Jared was being moody. I explained to him what happened to me, relayed to me via the third parties and his face softened a great deal.

“But anyway, long story short, the twins are mine. I’m really their father.” He still didn’t look happy. I was a bit pissed. “Look, it’s not like I wanted to get raped or anything. They’re the result of that ‘union’ and I thankfully was passed out so I don’t remember the details. I could’ve been a jerk and said, ‘I’m scarred… they remind me too much of what happened. Oh woe is me!’ But I didn’t – it’s not their fault they were created out of a hateful act. And as far as I’m concerned they’re never going to hear about it. Yes, they’ll probably ask about their birth mother one day, and I’ll have to think of something – I’ll probably have to be fair to them and let them know how they came to be. But now, I refuse to give them up for anything and I’d rather die than see any harm come to them!”

Jared opened his mouth to say something about my tirade, but stopped and just started to pace. He kept it up for a couple of minutes and I let him be – he was thinking and I knew better than to interrupt him. When he stopped I pretty much was ready for anything from my best friend. “I’m sorry for assuming.”

“Assuming? What could you possibly assume?”

“That you lied to me. About being gay and that you were just stringing Mason along for the ride. I’m really sorry I thought that. But… you know how I feel about doing the deed before you think the person is the one! You know for all posturing I do, it’s largely a show, an act.”

It made perfect sense now – Jared’s face back in the nursery. The way I told the story initially, he thought I was sleeping around behind Mason’s back – with girls no less! What a laughable thought! Me, straight? Please. If I was straight, I’d never have my Mason or my boys with me – and I love all three to death. “Jared, I’m also sorry – I forgot about how you might take seeing my sons without explaining the story to you first – the right way. A slight miscommunication between friends this time, right?” I laughed.

“Yeah,” he said as he slowly grinned. “Xan, they’re beautiful. Just like their dad. Both of their dads.” My smile increased as I told him their names. He laughed a bit. “I love them. You know, you used my middle name probably without realizing it.”

“Your middle name is Alexander?” He nodded. “Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever heard either of your parents use it on you – you always had that innocent act down pat for them, you lucky dog!” I almost swore there, but I caught myself.

“Sorry for swearing in the hallway, by the way. I take it you don’t like it when someone swears in front of your boys?”

“How’d you know?”

“Xan, please. I know you. That’s the first time I heard you make it a point to not swear.”

I laughed. “I’m just being a protective father. Nothing wrong with that, right?”

“Nope, not at all.”

Son, your friends are getting ready to head out,” Dad said over the intercom. “You might want to help Mace see them out.

I pushed the talk button. “Kay. Jared and I will be down in a second.” I let go. “Would you like to hold them when they wake up?”

“You couldn’t keep me away from them,” he grinned as we left the apartment.

 


 

The days were lonely and long, since Mason was finishing out the school year with the gang. I, however, stayed at home with my children. Alice and I talked the next day and we discussed schooling for me, but didn’t really touch on too many specifics. I was hoping she’d be flexible when it came to the twins’ feeding and napping schedule and she agreed, saying she was going to suggest it if I didn’t. That took a bit of a weight off my mind.

As we talked, my mind drifted a bit. I realized that the boys would be almost ready to start school themselves just as I finished up with regular education. They’d be almost middle school-aged by the time I graduate from college – unless I went to grad school for things like being a lawyer or doctor. The thought almost frightened me, afraid that they’d grow up without me being there for the little moments. Their first step. Their first word. Their first tooth. I felt more determined than ever to make sure I get a good education so I could get a really good paying job – I can’t sponge off my own Dad forever.

“Xander? Are you okay?” Alice’s voice broke me out of my thoughts. I found that I was recalling our previous conversation. I shook it off. I saw Jared staring at me a little bit from across the table. I was hosting breakfast in the apartment since we were talking school.

“Hmm? Oh, I’m fine, just daydreaming and realizing my kids will be in fourth grade or so when I graduate from college – if I go for four years.”

Alice smiled. “They do grow up fast, that’s for sure. Why, I still remember two little boys finding their way into the garbage can in the kitchen and throwing ground coffee from a used filter all over the kitchen.”

Jared laughed. “I swear it was all his idea, Mom.”

“Right… and next, I’ll tell you I have a piece of land for sale next to the Vatican blessed by the Pope himself,” she grinned back. “Don’t think for a minute that I don’t already know that most of the schemes you two pulled weren’t orchestrated by you, mister.”

“Finally, he gets busted!” I cheered with a laugh. Before anyone could say anything, I heard two little mouths crying out for attention. “Looks like I’m needed. Excuse me for a second.”

“Hey, I’ll help,” Jared said getting up. “You said I could hold them.”

“Just forewarning you since you offered, you’ll probably be changing a diaper first,” I said. “If you’re lucky, they’re just hungry.” I checked the time – it was about that time for breakfast.

We entered the nursery and both boys were flailing about and making gurgling sounds. I just smiled a bit at their cute antics. They’ve only been in my life for about a month now and I can’t imagine it without them now. They’ve really grown on me – both emotionally and physically. Both of them have put on some weight along with losing the hair they were born with to allow their normal hair to grow out – it seems like they have my hair color. Marissa was a brunette, if I remember from the session before things went horribly wrong – it was too dark at the dance to see her hair color properly. I quickly shook the thought away – I can’t dwell on things like that when I have a job to do. And that was to see if the boys needed a diaper change before breakfast.

I felt Ryan’s diaper first – dirty. Ugh. I shook my head as I checked Scott’s – also dirty. These two really like to do things at the same time, I swear. “Looks like they’re both due for a change. Here, have you picked up a baby before?”

“Not really, no,” Jared said. “You pick one up and I’ll watch what you do.” I picked Scott up slowly, explaining what I was doing to support his head and cradled in my arm. “Just like that. Now you try and I’ll watch. Don’t mind my critiques, please – I’m told I’m a bit too protective of them.”

“No worries, dude,” Jared said as he very carefully mimicked what I did. As soon as Jared had Ryan, the little boy started crying. “Oh, did I do something wrong?”

“No,” I laughed lightly. “Ryan’s fussier on who holds him – that’s why I had you pick him up. I want him to get used to you since you’ll be in the house. I’m going to guess that Ry will be the gentler, shier of the two when they get older. Scott already seems eager to try and crawl. He’s not really good at it yet, but he’s going to be motoring soon. But Ry will catch up – when one of them gets something done, the other is like hours at most behind. It’s really funny, actually.”

Jared had to talk over Ryan’s full-out screaming. “Is there anything I can do to calm him down?”

“Well, let’s change the diapers first – he might be upset about that.” On cue, Scott started crying his little head off too. “Yeah, probably the diapers.” I lay Scott on the changing table and Jared gently laid Ryan next to his twin. The two still cried, but Scott was pretty calm now; Ryan was screaming bloody murder. I just shook my head as Jared seemed a bit distraught that he was upsetting my one son as much as he was. I quickly explained a few things like I recommended standing a bit off to the side. Jared laughed and said he planned on it. I pulled off Scott’s used diaper and tossed it into the nearby can. I grabbed a fresh one and quickly covered his front, just he decided to “fire away” – I’ve gotten to laugh at Mason a couple of times when one of them got him when he thought he was safe. I did all the normal things – wiped, powered while covering his front – before I secured the diaper. Jared, a bit clumsier than me, still did a good job, though I had to tighten the diaper.

“Sorry about that,” Jared said as he saw me adjust Ryan’s diaper.

“It’s okay. It’s just that with them squirming as much as they do, he’d sooner slide right out of it and there’d be a fun mess to clean up. And I really don’t want to have to make you do that since you did the diaper.”

“You would, wouldn’t you?” I just nodded and laughed.

“Let’s go wash our hands,” I said as I scooped out the bag and carried it to the sealed can and deposited the soiled items inside it. After a quick wash, Jared and I jogged back to the nursery and I almost panicked. Scott sat up, but precariously close to the edge of the changing station. “Scott, no! You’re going to get hurt!” I rushed and grabbed him before his balance faltered and tucked him safely in my arm. “I-I shouldn’t have left them alone like that…”

“Hey, Xan it’s okay – nothing happened this time,” Jared said as he picked Ryan up. The boy still cried, but it was quieter than earlier. I said a few things to him and he settled down some.

“True, but still I need to be a bit more careful. That’s all.” We carried the boys to the dining room table and sat back down with Alice.

“Oh, they’re so adorable, Xander!” Alice said as we sat down. “And Jared, you look so cute holding a baby! It makes me wish we had another son or daughter. You’d make a great older brother.”

“Why did you stop with just me, Mom?” Jared asked, obviously curious.

“There were… complications with Dad.”

“C-Cancer?” Jared said sadly. Alice just nodded. “D-Didn’t you do something when you got the diagnosis? Like freeze something or whatever it is?”

Alice smiled, thinking back. “We tried to save some of your father’s sperm, and we did, but with the chemo treatments starting up, it just became too costly to try and squeeze that in. Maybe I will in the future – when we’re a bit more stable financially. Okay, sweetie?”

“I understand, Mom,” Jared said. “Whatever you decide, I’ll help you however I can.”

“Count on me too,” I grinned. “I’ve got practical experience!” I raised Scott a bit to show what I meant. She just laughed.

“That you do. Can I hold…?”

“This is Scott,” I said as I passed my son over to her arms. “I need to go start their bottles anyway. I’ll be back in a second.” I darted into the kitchen and pulled out two prepared formula bottles and tossed them into a pan of water and started it to boil. In about five minutes, I checked the temperature of the formula and, deeming it satisfactory, I took both bottles out to the table. I handed one bottle to Alice and she knew what to do – it all came back in a moment. I handed Jared the other one and he looked at it like it was a stick of dynamite. “Dude it’s not going to explode,” I said as I rolled my eyes.

“Well, what do I do?” I had him adjust a still fussy Ryan in his arms and held the bottle upside-down for a second or two before I handed it to my friend. I told him to just hold the bottle at or above a forty-five degree angle, to help minimize air bubbles in the formula. At first Ryan seemed reluctant to take the nipple into his mouth. I encouraged Jared to talk to him, show him that he’s safe and okay and soon enough, Ryan took the nipple into his mouth and started drinking. I told him to look him in the eyes – it’ll help with familiarity – as I stepped over to the sink area and grabbed some cloths. I handed one to Alice and she deftly tossed it on her shoulder. I just went ahead and placed the other on my bud’s shoulder. “Really?”

“Really,” I reassured him. “You’ll be fine. When it’s time just gently pat him on the back for a few minutes. Just watch your mom – she knows what she’s doing.”

Once both boys finished their bottles, Alice swiftly and expertly burped Scott. She relocated him back to the crook of her arm. She folded the towel up and used a clean side to wipe his face. Jared, taking cues from his own mother, did everything she did and held a content Ryan once the exchange was done. “Hey, he stopped crying.”

“Yep, you’re his buddy now,” I laughed softly as he reached up and patted Jared’s chin and lips. “Hey, Ryan! Those lips don’t belong to you! Those are Jared’s.” A few more swats from the baby hand came before Ryan tugged on Jared’s collar. I watched my extended family with my boys and I felt content, happy that I had these two back in my life for keeps. I took Scott from Alice and had Jared follow me. I had two little swings just off from the dining room table and I sat Scott in one; Jared clumsily slid Ryan’s legs into the swing. Once both were settled, I turned them on and the rocking motions started to lull the boys into a post-breakfast nap.

“Alright, now that’s out of the way for a moment,” Alice said with a pleasant smile on her face. “We need to discuss my job.”

“Shouldn’t you be talking with Dirk about that?” Jared asked.

“I think it’s time to tell you my job. My new job is to be Xander’s personal teacher, along with the part-time job of being the boys’ caretaker if Xander here has to step away and can’t take the boys with him and no one else is able to take care of them – whatever the reason, I’m available if it’s needed. Now, Dirk told Mason and Xander that you’ll also be here being in my school,” she laughed as she said that. “But I want you to have the option of where you go to school. I know the rest of the year, I’ll be taking over your studies, but come next year, it’s up to you.” She turned to me. “Dirk also said something about Mason too. Is that right?”

“I think he mentioned my guy, but if he’d rather go to public school, I don’t want him to have to be here with me. I’d like him to be,” I grinned. “But again I don’t want to force his choice.”

“I’ll talk to Dirk about it, dear.”

“Wait so that’s your new job?” Jared asked with a smile on his face. “How is that possible – the timing I mean? It just seems so… incredible.”

“I know it’s a bit much Jared, to take in all at once. But you know these people as well as I do – I’d not have it any other way.”

“Don’t get it warped, Mom!” Jared scoffed. “I’m totally ecstatic that this is all happening. You got a good deal lined up, I’m back next to my best bud, helping him with his kids when I’m not being flaky about it…”

“You were fine Jared,” I laughed. “You should’ve seen Con when I first brought them home. He was afraid he’d break them in half just by looking at them the wrong way. He’s come a long way. You’ll get there up with us experts,” I giggled as I meant Alice and me. “Just you wait.”

“Can I give you an answer later, about the school thing Mom?”

“Sure, dear. The sooner you make your decision, the better your chances of getting the classes you want if you pick the public school route.” Jared nodded. “Okay I estimate we have about two to three hours of peace to work on stuff. Xander dear, I have what you need to make up to advance to the tenth grade next year right here due to your ‘mishap’.”

Alice slid some books towards me and Jared and she got her teaching underway.

Copyright © 2011 Yanks13; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..