MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #24

You write, I write, he writes, she writes....the net is literally FULL of erotic stories of this nature! And there are a LOT of really talented authors out there who are constantly getting beter and better with every chapter they write. I know because I've seen some extremely quality stuff lately online. I, unfortunately, don't get to read anywhere NEAR as much as I used to, but I try to catch a good story every now and then. As a writer myself, I love to see what other people are doing and what cool stories are being created.

As an author, or as a reader, it's natural to have favorites and to take a real pride in your own work. But the question for this week is....

= Do you ever feel any sense of 'competition' with other writers when you're writing your own stuff? =

Do you ever get the urge to just bury everybody else that's writing and rise to the top of the heap so you can get noticed? Is there a favorite author that you have that maybe you want to 'challenge' for their spot? And if you're reading these stories, do you have certain untouchable favorites that no one else can come close to? Would it be possible for another story to lure you in and become your NEW favorite if the author was potent enough?

This week, it's all about win win WIN baby! Is competition your thing?

The board is open! :)

well com your my favorite author on the net there are a few that are growing on me like tragic rabbit drama club is good and myr and dkstories there all authors that are becomeing favrite authors of mine. there is a lot of crap out there to i have read my share of bad stories. the thing i am trying for is to plaese the reader with my story i am writeing from 6 years worth of role playing.

and since i dont have my story up anywhere and only one beta reader so far i dont see any competetion with me for i am not in the the same ranks as you com or myr or dan or any of the other writers out there i do wish that some day i get to that point and for once get the flood of e-mails asking when the next chapter is do out like the rest of you do.

• Site Administrator

Nope, I have something more insidious in mind. I go out and try to actively recruit authors to come join this place. ;)

So far, I've been very pleased with the authors that have come along.

When I'm writing, I'm writing to please myself really. So I compete against me, since I'm the only one I need to beat to satisfy my ego. In writing, no two people can write the same way. Certainly, you can mimic, but as your latest chapter of GFD has pointed out, being a mimic and being the real thing are two vastly different things.

Well... thinking about it now, I do like it over at Fanfiction, where when you search, my HP fanfic, HP and the Parliament of Dreams, is one of the longest stories, and most reviewed on fanfiction. And with over 160,000 HP stories, having that distinction is an ego boost ;)

Great questions Comsie!

Myr

Actually, when it comes down to writing and anyone else who does the same...hell YEAH I feel a sense of competition! Hehehe! Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's ever really been a negative form of competition where something has to be 'won' at all costs. Not at all. But I always try o write to the very best of my ability, and if there is someone else out there who's doing AMAZING stuff with their stories as well...I'll do my BEST to up my own standard in order to stand shoulder to shoulder with them.

Even from the very beginning, I always wanted to write just as well, if not better, than the folks I truly admired on Nifty. That hasn't changed. There's a piece of me that wants to be recognized among the best that has EVER written an erotic story for Nifty or anywhere else. So I use that feling of competition as fuel to inspire me to reach new heights with everything that I do. Or to at least TRY to.

I think competition is healthy, and I won't lie...I get anxious when I see someone doing much better than me with their story or series. I'm always trying to reach the top of the mountain, and if I have to share it with the best in the game...then I'll know I'm in good company. :)

I guess like Comicality, we'd all like to be the greatest writers around, but like a lot of you, I don't even let that cross my mind when I'm actually writing.

I guess I only ever think about it when I come across a really GREAT story, and sometimes I think, 'I wish I could write something as good as that.' :worship:

Today, I found out something that surprised me. I was chatting to this guy I know a little in a certain chat room, and he told me that people openly aplauded some of my stories. That was probably about a year before I ever went there myself, yet no one ever said a thing, except perhaps the occasional person says, "Oh, I enjoyed your story XXXXX " and I've thanked them but said no more about it.

So just maybe, people enjoy our stories more than we think. Do we write then for ourselves or to get adulation from others? I think if I was waiting for that, I'd have given up a long time ago!

Mike.g

:D

Guest jamieanderson

Went someone congratulates me on a story that I have written, I assume that they represent just the tip of the iceberg.

Well, that

Good points made all around. And that's a definite part of writing these stories...whether or not you're writing for an invisible audience. Had I not gotten the support I did in the beginning and over the last 6 years, I don't know if I'd still be writing either. (Not publicly anyway)

For me, it's not so much the applause that fuels that competition in me. It's more the fact that I feel good about blazing out a story that will be remembered, you know? I think that's the biggest thing for me...I really want these stories to be remembered. *I* wanna be remembered.

That would be the best.

Hehehe! I'd HATE to live forever! I feel like I'm 'doing time' in prison just being alive as it is! :P

It's sorta like writing on the wall in a public bathroom. I'd rather just leave a little message behind and go. I'd never want to 'live' in there. ::Giggles::

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..