The name game...

I just found one of my old 'lists' with a bunch of names that I wanted to use for characters in my stories. (Just first names. I really SUCK at coming up with last names, I think) And it just made me wonder if anyone else does this when they're writing! Hehehe!

I literally have a page of my notebook dedicated to cool and 'cute' sounding names to use for my stories. Not so common as "Mike" or "David"...but not 'out there' either. I wouldn't say, "Hey, this is Randy, and this is...Agamemnon The Conqueror!" Hehehe!

Where do you guys get your names from? Or is it just natural? I'm curious!

When I'm thinking my way through a story I don't even consider names, I just add them in when I start writing. People who read my stories may tell since I tend to repeat names alot.

(I think I have a Tom in every story, but Tom is the name of the guy who I lost my virginity to so I like to add him in every time hehehe...)

Guest Whatsifsowhatsit

The rare times I write a story I look for characteristics that really stand out in the characters, and I go to www.behindthename.com to look for a name with a meaning that describes that characteristic... get it?

For example, I look for a name meaning 'wild river' or something when I think the character is wild-natured, if that's an existing word. (Wild river just sounded like a name could have such a meaning, hehe) Or anything with 'wild' in it or something. Or when it's a special someone, like a KNIGHT :2hands: (I like to add fantasy characters in my stories, and fantasy usually involves medieval kinda things... right? Often at least), then I could probably find a name saying 'brave knight' or something (assuming the character is brave, hehe)

I think it's fun to play with names a bit like that. I don't pick them if they really don't sound cool to me either though :D

• 2 weeks later...

VERY cool! I honestly have a bunch of names that I'm just waiting to use for just the right story. Maybe it's just a lot of past experience with boys sharing the same name in my life...but certain names have a certain vibe to them. And I always take my time to make sure that the names of the two main characters sound good together. If two names don't sound right in the same sentence...I usually try to avoid that combination. I think I'm just weird that way! Hehehe! :)

• 4 weeks later...
VERY cool! I honestly have a bunch of names that I'm just waiting to use for just the right story. Maybe it's just a lot of past experience with boys sharing the same name in my life...but certain names have a certain vibe to them. And I always take my time to make sure that the names of the two main characters sound good together. If two names don't sound right in the same sentence...I usually try to avoid that combination. I think I'm just weird that way! Hehehe! :)

I know what you mean Com, about the two names having to fit well together.

Like...

If Comicality was in the lot he'd be Taryn into Justin!

Hehehe... Read the sentence again... Got it???... Ugh... Hehehe...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..