MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #29

So you're reading an erotic story, and let's be honest...we have an idea of how the 'formula' goes...boy meets boy, kisses happen, they find time alone when parents are gone, and then it's all 'boody-bangin' from then on, right? Hehehe! Ok...maybe that's oversimplifying things a bit. But there HAVE been plenty of story 'hooks' and 'triggers' that have been used time and time again. I am guilty as charged, even though I try to avoid those things myself. But it's not always possible to get away from the proper recipe of a good story plot that's been used before.

So the question this week is...

= How does a writer get away from certain story 'cliches' and try to come up with something original? =

For all of you authors and readers alike, do you see these same patterns popping up again and again and again? The new kid that transfers into class, the boy that moves in next door, the typical young boy sleepover where they feel each other up in their sleep? Does it bother you? Do you long for something new? Is it even POSSIBLE to put a new spin on these things? Let's be real...a young boy's life does have it's limits on how he interacts with other kids. Are there any stories that you feel break some of these standards and reach out towards something different?

Let us know how you feel on 'story cliches' and how to avoid 'reading/writing' them!

The board is open! :)

Guest god_of_games

I think that more stories need to start out, like for instance, right when Ryan asked Randy if he could come over. You know, not really introducing Ryan, but just dropping us off into the relationship. But what do i know?

Sleepovers.... ::sighs:: I remember those... Any volunteers?

Ummm... What were we talking about? I seem to have gotten distracted. Hehehe.

I happen to like those 'patterns' Can't you tell?

'Limits'? What are those?

I think of those patterns as comfortable reminders of the authors feel in my brain. What the hell does that mean? Hey I have only had one cup of coffee this morning, and I'd rather be snuggling with a certain sleepover partner. But he's in Illinois. Sigh.... Hehehehe!!

MOOOOOO!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to say that it isn't anything more than a simple challenge to get past a lot of formulated cliches in these stories...but it isn't. Not only are those the natural circumstances for most boys to meet and begin a relationship...but that's pretty much how it happened for ME every single time! Seriously, my stories are filled with stuff like kids moving in next door (Which happened the first time I ever had sex). Or arcades (I met a VERY cute boy there and had some...um...'fun', hehehe!), or school, or sleepovers...it was life. Maybe not 'life' for everybody, but since those things really happened to me and life is where I draw my experiences from...then I always figured that that's the way it's supposed to go. You know?

I DO occassionally rack my brain to change things up a bit and slide off of the chosen path for predictable story telling, but I'mjust as trapped in everyday circumstances as everyone else. So I kinda learned to respect those cliches, and an author's method of using them in new and interesting ways. It's an art to make these same situations read like new. :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..