MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #30

You read, you write, you read you write, you read....and then you write some more! They kinda go hand in hand sometimes, don't they? :)

There have been plenty of stories out there that have inspired me to write, and hopefully some of mine that have inspired some other folks to write. And the cycle begins all over again. But on a deep subconscious level, a lot of these motivating ideas can get jumbled together and simply become a part of your next story. Not always on purpose, it just sort of happens, you know?

The question for this week is...

=Have you ever read or written a story that sounded like it was copied, almost word for word, from another story?=

Whether you're writing or reading, how far can we go in excusing certain things as an unlikely coincidence? Do you think this form of 'copying' an act of plagerism? Or an act of flattery for an author's most respected influences? Or perhaps just an accident that comes from reading something that you liked and wanting to make something that will be equally as good? Whatever angle you hit it from, let us know what you think about what it is, what causes it, and how to avoid it.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and plagerism is the biggest crime to an artist...how hard is it to walk the line in between?

The board is open! :)

I honestly try not to read ANYTHING when I'm writing something of my own. Mostly because I absorb stuff like a sponge, and I don't want those little bits and pieces of someone else's work creeping into my stories. Since I've been writing muchbigger stories, it's been really difficult to read someone else's story. Simply because I need to take time away from everything that I'm doing entirely in order to do it.

I ENJOY reading other stories, I just don't get as much of a chance like I used to. I don't believe that plagerism is really an issue with most authors. I don't believe that they are trying to deliberately rip someone off by peddling their ideas as their own. I think it's just a matter of reading something you like, and saying..."Wow, I wanna write something like that." Hell, "Gone From Daylight" is basically a combination of me watching stuff like "The Lost Boys", "The Matrix", "Blade", and God KNOWS how many stories, movies, and tv shows. I would never want to COPY them...but I'm sure if I went back and looked close enough, I'd be able to find traces of their influence somewhere. Just like when I watch the "Matrix"...I see little detections of "Star Wars", "The Terminator", and a few other flicks that I grew up with. It's a cool blend, and with an original spin. That makes it yours.

If I saw a story that copied something I wrote, word for word, I think it would be weird...but I'd be flattered just the same. It's a compliment, because it means someone thought enough of something I wrote to want to do something in the same vein. I've got no problem with that. I think it's cool! :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..