[Luc] Crisis of faith

I either need kind, encouraging words or a good solid kick in the ass. I am having a crisis of faith. Maybe more accurately described as a crisis of words. They all seem to be stuck somewhere inside me and no amount of shaking seems to be able to get them out. They are all there. I can see them and hear them. But whenever I sit down to write them, they hide behind every possible distraction I can muster up. I am nearly to the point of throwing in the towel and just admitting to myself that I can

• Site Administrator

A really nice opening. The opening paragraph, in conjunction with the title, gave the story a classic crime detective aura. The story is written in the analytical mode common with old style detective stories, though most of those are written in first person, not third.

There appears to be a sinister undercurrent in the lead character, too. Whether that is in his job as a crime scene photographer, or in his morbid interest in death/rape victims, it's hard to say, but he doesn't appear to be someone who you should instantly trust.

Definitely keep writing. :)

However, I accept that sometimes you just can't. I'm going through that too, at the moment. I've got two novels that I've started, but tonight I added the first words to either one in over a month. I just haven't been able to find a way to get the images in my mind into words on the screen. That happens from time to time, and you just need to work through it.

There are a couple of ways, though this is very much an individualistic thing. One is to just write something else. It doesn't have to be published -- just kick the mind out of the groove it's stuck in so when you go back to your novel you'll have a fresh try. For me that's usually writing short stories -- I've written three while I've had this "block" on my next novel.

The other is to take a break and come back when you're ready. Go off and watch those hockey games. Go shopping for lots of paper to soak up the drool while watching the hockey. Take your son to a hockey match. Do what you want. The idea is to take your mind off writing and let yourself relax. You can't write while stressed out about not being able to write :P

Good luck, Luc! You're talented and the snippet above shows that. Don't let yourself be told any different, but don't worry if the words won't come out just now. There's no rush -- we'll still be here to wait for them when they do start to flow.

Graeme :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh... that was chilling. I get a lot of signals about this guy you've introduced. Definitely an... artistic soul, but very sinister. It's never clear if he's the one who causes the deaths -- only that he's there to capture it. Or is there even a difference? You've balanced the ambiguity very well. Sometimes too much ambiguity can make things very muddled, but you don't. The different possibilities are still very strong, and the lack of clarity only serves to heighten the tension.

I will say, though, that the scene you've introduced is not the most original. I have read -- or at least imagined reading 0:) ) is-he-a-serial-killer? scenes. However, there's nothing better than twisting a cliche. That's all Harry Potter is, for instance. Even fulfilling a cliche in a way that isn't maudlin can be a triumph. I prefer to call that 'myth making.' So it depends on where you take this. A lot of art is in the 'how' rather than the 'what.'

Don't stop writing. I believe that every bit of angst you feel now prepares you to be a better writer later :D . Sometimes you need to let go, loosen up a bit, write something you didn't think you would write, or write in an unexpected style. That can do wonders. Good luck!

Luc...

As much as sweaty hockey players wrestling with each other would be distracting... and I know how that is, believe me... can I take a minute to point out a few things here?

1. You are an emotionally gripping storyteller, one that consistantly delivers. More than that, you are a writer who knows what he's doing and how to do it excellently.

2. Since when do we write for other people, or for what they may or may not think about what we have written?

3. There is a LARGE GAPING HOLE where there should be fantastic stuff for me to read, which means one of two things... I read entirely too much, (totally possible) and or, someone needs to help fill it with quality, me included. I've been much in the same boat lately... but you don't forget how to feel, or how to tell a story, and I know that the hard part is getting the picture and story in your head out and onto paper where someone else can share it too, but you're a seasoned pro at that now.

4. If you don't tell me what happens next... I won't be held responsible for my behavior! :P And besides, there is a whole harem of boys that want to say great things about you so... give them something to talk about besides how fun you are to flirt with. ;)

Hugs, Vivian

PS. If I can do anything to help you, you know where I'm at... all you have to do is ask, kay?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever commented in one of your story threads, but I've read most of what you've posted here at GA and, like Viv said, you are an excellent story-teller with stories that convey emotion impeccably. Writing can be a very frustrating business, but please don't give it up.

As for the little snippet you posted, I loved it. The imagery was beautiful, and the setting was excellent. I'd love to read more of it.

Menzo

• 1 year later...