Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Be Rad

This is the next story in the saga I started with "Chronicles of an Academic Predator," and then continued with "1968" and "The Land Whore." This story is narrated by Brad Schluter and starts at the end of his junior year of high school. Enjoy!

In Chapter 3, I bring in the character of Timothy Patrick Murphy, a really handsome young guy that died of AIDS at the age of 29. Here's a youtube video with some of his work, done as a tribute:

Timothy Patrick Murphy - Tribute

And another of his time on Dallas:

TPM on Dallas

(From Wiki): Timothy Patrick Murphy

In Chapter 3, I bring in the character of Timothy Patrick Murphy, a really handsome young guy that died of AIDS at the age of 29. Here's a youtube video with some of his work, done as a tribute:

Timothy Patrick Murphy - Tribute

And another of his time on Dallas:

TPM on Dallas

(From Wiki): Timothy Patrick Murphy

Chapter 4 of Be Rad was excellent! :worship:

The sex scene between Brad and Armand was totally hot. "Filling" would be another adjective that seems to...uhhh...fit. B)

Actually, the scene leading up to the sex scene was tantalizing as well. Let's just say that Brad was able to make his case. :P

I'm disappointed about how the Brad - Doug relationship has developed. It's obvious, at least to me, that Doug hasn't come to terms with himself. He's in denial abouit his sexuality and is blaming Brad for what has happened so far. At the same time, Brad seems to be trying to step in between Brad and his best friend, Lark. The webs we weave...ack!

There are now ultimatims all around. The next chapter can't come soon enough.

Conner

Chapter 4 of Be Rad was excellent! :worship:

The sex scene between Brad and Armand was totally hot. "Filling" would be another adjective that seems to...uhhh...fit. B)

Actually, the scene leading up to the sex scene was tantalizing as well. Let's just say that Brad was able to make his case. :P

I'm disappointed about how the Brad - Doug relationship has developed. It's obvious, at least to me, that Doug hasn't come to terms with himself. He's in denial abouit his sexuality and is blaming Brad for what has happened so far. At the same time, Brad seems to be trying to step in between Brad and his best friend, Lark. The webs we weave...ack!

There are now ultimatims all around. The next chapter can't come soon enough.

Conner

I figured that was a bit of a cliffhanger, so the new chapter is posted. Let me know what you think of the way it turned out. I was trying to portray all of the drama that inevitably comes with high school. And it's been awhile since I've been there. :(

Thanks for releasing chapter 5 so quickly. :worship:

I was quite prepared to do some begging or, even better, whining! :P

So Brad executed the preemptive strike on Doug and, to some extent, on Lark, his best friend. It raises serious ethical questions....which, of couse, I have no intention of addressing seeing that I liked the outcome. :lol:

No doubt, Lark has a whole new respect for Brad. B) The moral of this chapter is always exercise caution about whom you f**k with. :D

I was surprised, but glad given Lark's reaction, that Brad came out to his buddy. It was totally not planned and speaks well of Brad's feelings for his best friend, the need to be honest....mind you, that must be tempered with the fact that Brad had put Lark on the sacrificial alter only hous before. Lark is obviously a survivor, too.

Wait until Claire finds out what Brad has been doing with her suitor! :lmao:

Ok, I'm going to try this again....the next chapter can't come soon enough! :great:

Conner

Thanks for releasing chapter 5 so quickly. :worship:

I was quite prepared to do some begging or, even better, whining! :P

So Brad executed the preemptive strike on Doug and, to some extent, on Lark, his best friend. It raises serious ethical questions....which, of couse, I have no intention of addressing seeing that I liked the outcome. :lol:

No doubt, Lark has a whole new respect for Brad. B) The moral of this chapter is always exercise caution about whom you f**k with. :D

I was surprised, but glad given Lark's reaction, that Brad came out to his buddy. It was totally not planned and speaks well of Brad's feelings for his best friend, the need to be honest....mind you, that must be tempered with the fact that Brad had put Lark on the sacrificial alter only hous before. Lark is obviously a survivor, too.

Wait until Claire finds out what Brad has been doing with her suitor! :lmao:

Ok, I'm going to try this again....the next chapter can't come soon enough! :great:

Conner

Thanks Conner. The next chapter is done, it's just in editing. And it's a busy time of year.

I visualize Brad as one of those individuals who can have a "switch" inside them that they turn off and on, controlling their feelings towards another person. Then he tries to resolve his emotional pain by expressing himself via painting or by challenging that ultimate opponent, the sea. So once the switch went off for Doug, he had no problem being quite ruthless. In that regard, he's probably a much more dangerous person than, say, JP.

So my question for you is: Is that coming across in the story?

Mark

Thanks Conner. The next chapter is done, it's just in editing. And it's a busy time of year.

I visualize Brad as one of those individuals who can have a "switch" inside them that they turn off and on, controlling their feelings towards another person. Then he tries to resolve his emotional pain by expressing himself via painting or by challenging that ultimate opponent, the sea. So once the switch went off for Doug, he had no problem being quite ruthless. In that regard, he's probably a much more dangerous person than, say, JP.

So my question for you is: Is that coming across in the story?

Mark

From my perspective, the jury is still out on how dangerous Brad could be. Interesting question, though. I'm hoping Brad won't have to be. JP's still the "godfather" of the family, at least that's how I see it. That said, seeing that you're the author, I'll have to keep a lookout. :P

What is perfectly clear is that Brad has a very strong sense of family and part of that is knowing that his family totally supports him and will do whatever it takes to ensure his well being. In this instance, Brad was looking out for himself. The possibility of being outed at school was not something he would endure without a fight. As the old maxim goes...the best defence is a good offence. He had cause. Doug had threatened him directly. Brad acted. Whether Brad deserved it or not ceased to be relevant. Survival instincts kicked in.

Brad certainly has a good set on him. there's no doubt of that. :wub:

Conner

Chapter 6 was really hot...sizzling even. :devil:

Jake's a sweetheart. :wub: Brad totally owes Caire on that one.. :D

So Lark adjusted rather quickly to finding out his best friend is gay. 24 hours later and he's looking for a blow job. Not surprisingly, Brad gave him the green light for future accommodation. Oh my yes, friends with benefits. :P

Conner

• 2 weeks later...

Be Rad is rapidly becoming my favourite story in the saga. :2thumbs: Now that's odd for me. Let's just say, I enjoyed Rocky I, but Rocky II through XVI (or whatever :P ) barely qualified as rentals. Not that I'm trying to draw any parallels with your story and Rocky. :funny:

There was a time, your first two stories I believe, when you posted song selections of the time to help create mood for the story, something you didn't feel you were good at. Well, you've gotten over that hurdle. :D There's lots of mood in this story. Not that I didn't like the song selections, mind you. There were only a few I didn't immediately recognize. B)

Chapter 8 is one of your best so far. Good work! :worship:

I'm guessing Jake will shortly be doing an "exit stage right". I have some mixed feelings about that...then again, Brad and Robbie are looking pretty hot right now. :wub: I'm anxious to see how that plays out.

Conner

Be Rad is rapidly becoming my favourite story in the saga. :2thumbs: Now that's odd for me. Let's just say, I enjoyed Rocky I, but Rocky II through XVI (or whatever :P ) barely qualified as rentals. Not that I'm trying to draw any parallels with your story and Rocky. :funny:

There was a time, your first two stories I believe, when you posted song selections of the time to help create mood for the story, something you didn't feel you were good at. Well, you've gotten over that hurdle. :D There's lots of mood in this story. Not that I didn't like the song selections, mind you. There were only a few I didn't immediately recognize. B)

Chapter 8 is one of your best so far. Good work! :worship:

I'm guessing Jake will shortly be doing an "exit stage right". I have some mixed feelings about that...then again, Brad and Robbie are looking pretty hot right now. :wub: I'm anxious to see how that plays out.

Conner

Thanks Conner.

I'm finishing up 10 right now, and so far that's my favorite. This has been a weird story for me because, unlike the others, when I started it I didn't have a clear picture of where I was going. Which makes me wonder if I'm not better off just being confused? LOL.

I've got a plan for Jake.

As for the music, I'm trying to come up with something more manageable. Putting the music recs together was taking almost as much time as writing the chapters, but I'm going to work at developing a youtube playlist for the story....once I fix my fricking laptop.

Mark,

I just discovered this thread in the forum, so thought I should post here rather than email you directly as I have infrequently done in the past.

Chapter 9 was great; I loved all the drama. Following up some earlier posts, Brad is not more dangerous than JP, he is as dangerous as JP. (Could anyone be more dangerous than JP?) With Stefan's help, however, there is the possibility that he will learn to deal with his emotions, which will (I hope) defuse much of the danger.

I agree with another poster; this is my favorite story in the series. While I really enjoyed the early stories because I knew the music and the historic events, there is something in Brad's youth and vitality that is so appealing. It may be that I wish I were Brad; I don't have that identification with the other characters.

I also enjoyed Stefan helping Brad deal with Jake's reality and leading him to understand that Sam was the problem.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2009.

Bryan

Mark,

I just discovered this thread in the forum, so thought I should post here rather than email you directly as I have infrequently done in the past.

Chapter 9 was great; I loved all the drama. Following up some earlier posts, Brad is not more dangerous than JP, he is as dangerous as JP. (Could anyone be more dangerous than JP?) With Stefan's help, however, there is the possibility that he will learn to deal with his emotions, which will (I hope) defuse much of the danger.

I agree with another poster; this is my favorite story in the series. While I really enjoyed the early stories because I knew the music and the historic events, there is something in Brad's youth and vitality that is so appealing. It may be that I wish I were Brad; I don't have that identification with the other characters.

I also enjoyed Stefan helping Brad deal with Jake's reality and leading him to understand that Sam was the problem.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2009.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan.

My favorite so far has been "The Land Whore," just because Stefan is such a fun character to work with.

My favorite so far has been "The Land Whore," just because Stefan is such a fun character to work with.

I agree you can do more with Stefan's character, because he is outrageous. Perhaps I suffer from arrested development or just want to be young, again (I turn 55 this month, but don't feel a day over 21, I swear!). I don't intend this to be harsh, but I found the Land Whore's character development a little flat, because Stefan is such a slut and sluts can be tiresome. I did appreciate his finding a mate and settling down. I also appreciated the Palo Alto/Route 101 development, having a connection with the area. And, I love cruising the wineries in the area!

Bryan

I agree you can do more with Stefan's character, because he is outrageous. Perhaps I suffer from arrested development or just want to be young, again (I turn 55 this month, but don't feel a day over 21, I swear!). I don't intend this to be harsh, but I found the Land Whore's character development a little flat, because Stefan is such a slut and sluts can be tiresome. I did appreciate his finding a mate and settling down. I also appreciated the Palo Alto/Route 101 development, having a connection with the area. And, I love cruising the wineries in the area!

Bryan

That wasn't harsh at all. It was really fun taking a fun guy like Stefan and letting him find real happiness; his soul mate. And, quite frankly, I was proud of how I worked the Yom Kippur War in. But you're right, sluts provide for pretty easy characters.

I'm working on Chapter 13 of Be Rad right now, and the farther along I get, the more fun this one gets to write. I hope you guys end up liking it!

Stefan is not a slut! :angry: He's just a very loving person. :wub:

His character really shined in chapter 9. He's quite disarming.

What's Sam's problem? My sense of it is he's been living in JP's shadow...and maybe wants out. But instead of being honest with JP, he's acting out. Pounding Jake was Sam letting out his anger over it all. He really wants to hurt JP, that's for sure.

Anyway, my attention is now entirely focussed on Brad and Robbie. :wub:

Definitely my favourite story! :worship::worship:

Conner

I've been posting musical recomendations over at Mark Arbour's Yahoo Group. He asked me to post them here, too...so...here we go...

Chapter 1- Brad and Lark "go coastal"

"California Sun" by the Ramones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHvoxAkP1F4

Chapter 2- The Party Scene

"Heartache Tonight" by the Eagles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoauDZoPD24

Chapter 3- At Stefan and Greg's party

"Ring My Bell" by Anita Ward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZnXikBNn-8

Chapter 4- Brad gets screwed over by Doug

"Boys Don't Cry" by The Cure

Chapter 5- Brad gets his revenge at the party

"Enola Gay" by OMD

Chapter 6- Brad and Jake get together

"He's So Shy" by the Pointer Sisters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUgxRnmuypQ

Chapter 7- Lark and Brad hook up in the morning

"Rise" by Herb Alpert

Edited by methodwriter85

For Chapter 8

-On the plane ride to Ohio for the 4th of July

"Celebration" by Kool and The Gang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEMxYggoKQ

-When Brad has sex with Jake despite realizing this is going nowhere.

"Love Stinks" by J. Geils Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFMwSGXNZq0

-When Brad meets Robbie at the 4th of July celebration

"Hot Blooded" by Foreigner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksdfPPPE9u0

For Chapter 9

-When JP sees Billy and Robbie standing next to the 1968 El Dorado

"Time" by The Allan Parsons Project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvwrSdMY7dQ

-When Stefan and Brad talk after he sees Jake and Sam together

"Honesty" by Billy Joel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgmJ1miBzek

-When Billy, Robbie, and Brad hang out together all stoned

"Highway To Hell" by AC/DC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJc4dzZ3IA

Edited by methodwriter85

Thanks Jeremy.

I used to put musical recommendations in the stories but I found that it delayed me considerably. Jeremy picked up the ball where I dropped it, so I've designated him as my DJ.

He wears a big gold medal around his waist. Ask him to let you touch it. :devil:

Thanks Jeremy.

I used to put musical recommendations in the stories but I found that it delayed me considerably. Jeremy picked up the ball where I dropped it, so I've designated him as my DJ.

I enjoy it, but I'm f**king impatient for him to move the story to 1981 because of all the '81 music I want to use but can't.

Anyways-

Chapter 10....

-When Brad spills the beans about Jake and Sam

"Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen

-When Sam and JP offically break up

"You've Lost That Loving Feeling" by Hall and Oates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8702SoMNy0

-When Brad calls up Robbie

"I Want You To Want Me" by Cheap Trick

Chapter 11

Chapter 11.

-When Brad goes over to the Haye's House and finds out what Robbie's

cousins did:

"My Perfect Cousin" by the Undertones

-When Tonto shows them the picture of Jeff Hayes at Northwestern before

they leave for California

"Bat out Of Hell" by Meat Loaf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnVfRjcYulk

I enjoy it, but I'm f**king impatient for him to move the story to 1981 because of all the '81 music I want to use but can't.

Obviously, a DJ with standards. Good on ya. B):2thumbs:

If I were posting the music, I'd squeak in a song from '81 if I thought it worked better. Yes, I always follow the path of least resistance. 0:):lmao:

Conner

Obviously, a DJ with standards. Good on ya. B):2thumbs:

If I were posting the music, I'd squeak in a song from '81 if I thought it worked better. Yes, I always follow the path of least resistance. 0:):lmao:

Conner

I'm surprised at you, advocating breaking rules. :2thumbs: A kindred spirit.

Personally, I like the music of the mid-80's much better, but that's just me. Guess I need to do some serious time travel to get us up to Madonna. (That's a joke Jeremy, don't go "Like a Virgin" nuts on me. Although I did think that "Material Girl" was the absolute anthem of the early 80's)

Chapter 11 was great. :worship::worship:

Now Lark is growing on me, too. :wub: More straight guys should approach their gay friends in this way. :D I believe Lark is straight, but obviously there's a part of him that's ok with male-on-male intimacy...well, at least with Brad. He's fighting it...in his own way. The second go-around was only possible with him taking on the dominant male role and giving Brad a pounding. Their relationship fascinates me.

And so Robbie said...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..