keeping the discussions rolling

In response to Comsie's post to urge us to keep the discussions rolling and to my need of advice, I have a question I want to ask.

Whenever I get an idea for a story, it doesn't take me long to come up with events and feelings that I want to convey. I have my idea and point I want to make and how to use the characters, the events, and the emotions to do it. BUT..... what always fails with me is the organization. I've always had a slight fear or writing only due to challenge of organizing everything to get the best effect. It's not the fun kind of challenge that you enjoy overcoming. It confuses me and honestly scares me.

So my question is this: What do you do to plan AND organize? How do you use organization to help emphasize the story. Any advice to help me get past this fear/challenge?

I have the exact same problem. Try writing the bits and pieces you've already thought out non-sequentially as they occur to you. Then rearrange those and fill in holes. It works at the beginning to launch you off. Otherwise, try just putting down little notes for yourself, for me those often turn into complex charts.

Guys-

You are writing, not doing calculus. No points are deducted if you fail to show your work. :P

When I write, I create a list of characters, make a few notes about them and do a rough outline. Nothing fancy and nothing that I would even remotely call organization.

Very few writers write by formula, and those that do look formulaic.

Writing gets it written. Thinking about it too hard only makes makes you tense.

I think that getting your ideas out on paper (or saved to a document file) is the important part. Once you have it, editing, fine tuning, expansion or retraction are possible. You can even say screw it and start from scratch.

If it is stuck in your head, all it will do is give you a headache.

To borrow from Nike, "Just write it!"

-JS

All excellent comments and advice on the subject! And it's really true. No matter how much planning and scheduling and plotting you do for a perfect story, once you actually start writing it out, your natural instincts just take over and it turns out completely different from what you originally planed. Just think about your characters and how they would act and react to certan situations...they'll guide you where you need to go.

I write most of my stories with a few 'key events' in mind that I want to take place, and pretty much just make it up as I go along from there. However, if you ever feel confused, try writing notes to yourself on a pack of index cards. It's a method that I read about from John Carpenter. You write out a certain scene on one card, and another scene on another card, and when you have them all written out, you can physically put them in order on your bed or our floor. It helps to make your thoughts 'concrete'. Put them out there, look at them, and change hem around at will. And if you want to add something, add another card. I've done this with "GFD" sometimes whenever I was getting confused about how things were going to go.

Also, notes help to get a lot of thoughts out of your head. Once they're on paper somewhere, it's like your brain clears space for more ideas to come. Write them out. Get a small notebook for your pocket, and jot down ideas as they come to you during the day. Trust me, if you do this for two or three weeks, you won't be able to STOP! :)

I hope this helps! And remember, everyone here on the Cafe would love to see what you come up with! So let us know when you start. I also have a Library if you wanna post a story among friends for feedback.

More than anything, just remember that writing is just like a muscle. The more you work it out, the stronger it gets. So practice often, and believe in your instincts. If you write from the heart, you'll never go wrong. Best of luck!

I basically only do scientific/technical writing which is totally different in terms of grammar and style, but not basic structure. When I write, I start with the figures and equations (which would correspond to particular scenes or events), place them in the proper order, and connect them together and making sure to fill in the introduction and back stroy as necessary. Often I will realize I need more figures or equations to explain what I am saying, so I go get/create those.

Unfortunately, it is kinda formula, but hey it's technical writing. There are only so many ways to talk about the emittance of an electron beam or the density perturbations during an instability.

Snow Dog

Thanks to all of you for answering me, I got some really good advice. I'm actually using the advice too. I just started taking notes yesterday, and its true, I can't stop. It feels so gooood to get this out of my head and down on paper. As I speak I'm starting to actually write it out. I'm excited. THANK YOU!!

(more updates later maybe..?)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..