I Watch Him Constantly by Kanaye

• Site Administrator

The ending of the poem took me by surprised, but it's a theme I've seen before. The first person we all come out to is ourself. The first person who have to love is ourself, but sometimes that can be difficult. Knowing the ending, I went back and read the poem again and saw how much the narrator had this idealised view of what they should be like. Would they ever achieve that ideal? I doubt it, but I hope they find a happy medium where they can accept the flaws in the one they love :)

Thanks, Kanaye! :wub: I loved it! :D

• Like 1

I really liked this poem. I like such poems. After reading it completely, I went back to it to see what the poet really wanted to convey. And the thing is that I personally tend to look at myself a lot in the mirror. Kinda narcissist. :P I just can

• 5 months later...

And, at a deeper level (sorry to burst your bubbles), the narrator is still waiting and watching...not for him/herself, but for the one he/she has been watching. I saw the denoument not as the person looking for him/her self, but as the person still looking for the ideal, and ... for the moment, at least ... accepting him/herself as all that was in reach. That, I think, makes it a great sadness.

• 8 years later...

It probably represents something different to each reader, to me it represents the time when we take the first step in self acceptance and self love. Without that we can not expect others to accept and love us. Very nicely written.