Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Belvidera

A little information about HMS Belvidera.

The ship you're reading about is entirely fictional, but there really was a frigate named Belvidera in the Royal Navy. The real Belvidera wasn't built until 1809, and featured prominently in the War of 1812 as one of the British frigates that chased the USS Constitution during the early days of that war. Belvidera: Wiki Link. Apollo class frigates were generally shorter and crankier than their contemporaries. The Lively Class was the most successful, followed by the Leda Class. Two Leda Class frigates still exist in the UK:

HMS Trincomalee and HMS Unicorn

Both of those links take you to the official websites, and they should give you a good idea of what Granger's Belvidera would have been like.

This is the "Great Cabin" (Captain's Cabin) on Trincomalee:

Posted Image

• Like 3

OMG do you know how long that read took me??? Like a HALF HOUR!!! or more even! I sooo loved it all!!! what is a Thwart though?? a seat of some sort??

Granger and Caroline are so cute :P Calvert.....i duno now that i read it, maybe him tagging along wasn't a good idea???? not sure, we'll see how granger and calvert progress, i'm thoughally thinking i should revoke my vote to keep him along though. Oh well.

Wrinkler is adorable, keeps all of Grangers secrets....he could definatly be a danger to granger if ever turn against one another. I think wrinkler could be someone of great importance wherever granger goes.

okay so Grangers "great" Cabin opens into the gun deck with the 18 pounders.......so does that mean when they beat to quarters grangers cabin has to be torn apart and remodled in short time to prep for the battle??? (Like they do on the Movie "Master and Commander"

I Do appreaciate the details i think they have givin something more irresistable to your work!!!

If these chapters take longer that's fine, one a week is totaly acceptable or whatever you decide, i want quality rather then have you rush through them. I'll pressure you no doubt if you leave a cliff hanger so please prepair adequatly to tell us to shove off or post another chapter with certain release of the cliffhangers :D

Spencer and Caroline to visit...oh dear lol maybe some drama is what we need, force granger to do something he usualy wouldn't do to crew members :o that'd be a good plot but i duno i don't think spencer will do to much, Caroline might though, who knows...... i believe it's bad luck to have a women on board though.....or so they said in "Pirates of the Carribbean :o

• Like 2

Welcome back, Granger! Calvert, too! :wub:

It's easy to understand Granger's mixed feelings around wanting to get back out to sea and spending more time with his family.

The banter between George and Caroline was fun. :D Caroline hasn't been "shown off" much so far, so the trip to St. James court was good for her.

That was a very "clean" chapter. I hope there aren't too many of those. :P0:)

• Like 1

Yay! George Granger is back. I must say that he has his work cut out for him with his new crew. They weren't exactly gung ho about him thus far. Then again, if anyone can win them over, he can. In usual Granger fashion, he has made cleanliness a priority. Also, I do believe that the crew shall now be able to rely less upon eating certain rodents to augment their diet. :D

OMG do you know how long that read took me??? Like a HALF HOUR!!! or more even! I sooo loved it all!!! what is a Thwart though?? a seat of some sort??

Granger and Caroline are so cute :P Calvert.....i duno now that i read it, maybe him tagging along wasn't a good idea???? not sure, we'll see how granger and calvert progress, i'm thoughally thinking i should revoke my vote to keep him along though. Oh well.

Wrinkler is adorable, keeps all of Grangers secrets....he could definatly be a danger to granger if ever turn against one another. I think wrinkler could be someone of great importance wherever granger goes.

okay so Grangers "great" Cabin opens into the gun deck with the 18 pounders.......so does that mean when they beat to quarters grangers cabin has to be torn apart and remodled in short time to prep for the battle??? (Like they do on the Movie "Master and Commander"

I Do appreaciate the details i think they have givin something more irresistable to your work!!!

If these chapters take longer that's fine, one a week is totaly acceptable or whatever you decide, i want quality rather then have you rush through them. I'll pressure you no doubt if you leave a cliff hanger so please prepair adequatly to tell us to shove off or post another chapter with certain release of the cliffhangers :D

Spencer and Caroline to visit...oh dear lol maybe some drama is what we need, force granger to do something he usualy wouldn't do to crew members :o that'd be a good plot but i duno i don't think spencer will do to much, Caroline might though, who knows...... i believe it's bad luck to have a women on board though.....or so they said in "Pirates of the Carribbean :o

Thanks MM. You're right about "Clearing for Action." The Captain's Cabin is on the gun deck so the Captain can be close to the quarterdeck (just up the ladder). So when they beat to quarters, all of Granger's stuff (furniture, clothes, dishes, silver, carpets, etc.) have to be struck down below. If they do it quickly, it probably takes at least 10 minutes, maybe 15 if they're more careful.

Welcome back, Granger! Calvert, too! :wub:

It's easy to understand Granger's mixed feelings around wanting to get back out to sea and spending more time with his family.

The banter between George and Caroline was fun. :D Caroline hasn't been "shown off" much so far, so the trip to St. James court was good for her.

That was a very "clean" chapter. I hope there aren't too many of those. :P0:)

Don't worry Conner. He'll get laid soon enough.Posted Image

Yay! George Granger is back. I must say that he has his work cut out for him with his new crew. They weren't exactly gung ho about him thus far. Then again, if anyone can win them over, he can. In usual Granger fashion, he has made cleanliness a priority. Also, I do believe that the crew shall now be able to rely less upon eating certain rodents to augment their diet. :D

There were some real asshole Captains in the Royal Navy, but not as many as history would lead you to believe. That's probably because, just like with this story, it's a cool plot line. The worst case was the HMS Hermione with Captain Pigot. HMS Hermione

• Like 1

Why do i think that's how the other captain and his first leutinient got caught........(i actualy don't think that's how it went....i could go back and read but meh, not atm) i do think though that beating to quarters while granger is indisposed would be a very bad thing, i'm currious to see how that plays out.

Why do i think that's how the other captain and his first leutinient got caught........(i actualy don't think that's how it went....i could go back and read but meh, not atm) i do think though that beating to quarters while granger is indisposed would be a very bad thing, i'm currious to see how that plays out.

It would be very unusual to beat to quarters without an order from the Captain.

Ummm... nice introduction to the new story? What else to say... I'm not that big fan of Bridgemont as of CAP series, so well... it was nice to see Granger knows where to start, it may pay up in the end. I'm curious about why are they sending him back to the India... but I haven't checked anything for 1796, so I have no idea where the story is leading. CAP is of higher importance right now! :P At least we won't have more casualties due to BWS.

• Like 1

I'm also wondering how many years this story will cover. It will be a LONG time before Granger is an admiral, so will this story cover all that time? Or maybe he'll eventually get another ship before then, perhaps several...

It would be very unusual to beat to quarters without an order from the Captain.

Can't the Watches make the call??? if they notice a ship in the minimal distance, almost in firing range are they going to go ask the captain first???

I'm also wondering how many years this story will cover. It will be a LONG time before Granger is an admiral, so will this story cover all that time? Or maybe he'll eventually get another ship before then, perhaps several...

This story won't cover all that time. He'll ultimately get a different ship, maybe several, but even if he keeps this one, I can always come up with a new title. Posted Image

ch1: okay, his first ship as captain.

But, sooner or later he will receive a ship-of-the-line.... perhaps after some 40 chapters.

tailors need to be rapid. and so forth.

Tailors do have to work quickly! It will be a long time before Granger gets a ship-of-the-line. Most captains preferred frigates. More opportunities for independent action and prize money.

Can't the Watches make the call??? if they notice a ship in the minimal distance, almost in firing range are they going to go ask the captain first???

It's possible that the officer of the watch would make the call, but it is far more likely that they'd get the Captain first. He really does have awesome power on board the ship. Plus, things usually don't really move all that fast when we're dealing with ships of this era. The fastest frigates could do maybe 13 knots (and their knots were less than today's knots), so figure 15 miles an hour. MAX. Kind of like how fast old people drive their Buicks.Posted Image

• Like 1

Again, you prove that good guys do finish first. George is truly a good person. I have a feeling threeways are in the offing/After all its a long trip to India, :D:D

The latest story in the Bridgemont Series is up! This one may come a little slower. I've been doing a lot of re-writes on the chapters, taking a little more time.

Someone gave me a negative reputation point for this post? WTF?

• Like 5

Someone gave me a negative reputation point for this post? WTF?

Soo thats why the WTF ment!! haha Seems like the Mods like your stories to much and the "These chapter may take a little longer" bit was disliked......althought I DISAGREE, more time working on it, means more reading for us GUYS!! and a better story. I suggest you talk to Myr about this -.- God(Myr) will decide.

oh wait...i gave you a positive also....thought that was just mod controled HAHA stupid me ><

Edited by Mark M
  • Like 2

Well you guys are really nice. I'm not overly worried about my overall rep...I still have the highest rep around, even if I got it by breaking the rules. Or it would be better to say by rushing in and rating a bunch of posts before the rules were set. Still, that's pretty characteristic of me anyway.

I was just kind of surprised to get negged here, over something pretty basic.

• Like 1

I am so excited to have Granger and the whole crew back up and a new story startedPosted Image. The Bridgemont series is fast becoming my favorite series on this site. While I do love the CAP, Bloodlines is great, I am completely engrossed in this series. The time that this series was written in has always been one that stood out for me in the history books. There is such a rich tapestry that the story line can be tied to. I will survive the slower chapters but at least one ever five days or so Posted Image, I can't stand to wait longer than that....

Thanks for getting this new story started...Posted Image

David

I am so excited to have Granger and the whole crew back up and a new story startedPosted Image. The Bridgemont series is fast becoming my favorite series on this site. While I do love the CAP, Bloodlines is great, I am completely engrossed in this series. The time that this series was written in has always been one that stood out for me in the history books. There is such a rich tapestry that the story line can be tied to. I will survive the slower chapters but at least one ever five days or so Posted Image, I can't stand to wait longer than that....

Thanks for getting this new story started...Posted Image

David

I'm enjoying it too. This era I'm in requires a lot more research. !797 is full of excitement, but 1795-6 is sort of a "blah" time. Unless you dig, so that's what I'm doing.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..