Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Faces for Mark's Stories

We have two brown-haired guys named Cam- the gay one from Boystown that Matt hooked up with for a bit in high school, and the straight junior that goes to Menlo with Will. He hasn't really factored much- Will thought he was cute but backed off when he realized that Cam was straight and not interested in messing around.

I meant the Midwestern (Ohio to Chicago) one, of course. :) 

I always wondered if the reason why Mark includes so many blonds in the story is because he grew up in the 1970's, which someone at TWOP called the Decade of the Blonde, because it was such a dominant aesthetic during that decade for whatever reason. So many music and acting stars were blond/e at the time (Blondie, Farrah Fawcett, Peter Frampton, Mark Hamill, etc etc), and even 2 of the 3 presidents of that decade were blonde.

Huh. I hadn't even noticed, but almost every mental picture I have of the 70s (which admittedly I only know through TV) features someone blonde. And that's despite "That 70s Show" being primarily brunette.

Huh. I hadn't even noticed, but almost every mental picture I have of the 70s (which admittedly I only know through TV) features someone blonde. And that's despite "That 70s Show" being primarily brunette.

I mean, if you look at actual 1970's/early 1980's t.v., they're full of blonds/blondes. Mary Ingalls, Ma, Nellie Olseon, and Almanzo Wilder on Little House on the Prairie. The female half of the Brady Bunch. John Boy in The Waltons. Half of the cop duos on Starksy and Hutch and Chips, etc etc.

James Savik, who is Mark's age, listed his teen idols growing up, and all of them were blond: Jim McKeon, Leif Garret, that kid from James at 15, and Willie Ames. (He's the goofy buddy from Charles in Charge who was inexplicably a teen idol back when Eight is Enough was airing. Totally confused me.)

I wonder if it's because the Californian surfer boy/girl aesthetic was really popular then. I do remember Janice Dickenson, who was surprisingly beautiful before she let surgeons hack her face up, talked about how it was hard to break into modeling back in the 1970's because she didn't look like the ideal blonde.

It's kind of funny to compare to our era, which tended to emphasize dark-haired guys. The only blond teen idols I can think of from the Y2K era are the Carter Boys, Brian Littrell, Chad Michael Murray, JT & Lance (although Lance wasn't really the teen idol of that group), and the poor doomed lead singer of LFO.

The preferred aesthetic of our teen idol period seemed to be more along the lines of the blue-eyed guy with spiky dark hair, like the Carlson twins.

Now, frosted TIPS were popular, just not full-on blond, it seems. At least for the guys.

Anyway...no, I don't really have a guy for Cam. Maybe Zac Efron?

Cam hasn't really featured much of an impression on me to get me into finding a guy who fits how I picture him.

I ran across this picture of the Marquess of Douro (heir to the Duke of Wellington) and his wife (Jemma Kidd) and they struck me as a nice characterization of Alex and Mary Ellen.  478109066-jemma-wellesley-marchioness-of

Looking at the history of the Dukes of Wellington and their title in Spain - Duke of Ciudad Rodrigo,I think it matches perfectly with the story of Bridgemont. And in this case with Alex

• Like 1

I like him for Alex, but I definitely prefer Margot Robbie as Mary Ellen:

I can so picture Mary Ellen having a beauty routine that involved. In any event, that was an AWESOME shout-out to American Psycho.

What really sold me on her for Mary Ellen was her big scene from Wolf Of Wall Street.

Swap out the Brooklyn accent for Southern Virginia, and tell me you can't see Mary Ellen playing games with Alex exactly like this one. (Although I don't think Alex would have the balls to get back at her the way Leo gets back at Naomi in this scene.)

In any event, I can just buy someone like Mary Ellen working a face like Margot Robbie's to full advantage, all-heart shaped and big-blue eyed.(Which stands to reasons Mary would have them, because blue eyes seem like a Danfield trait.) So many people in the story basically admit that Mary Ellen wouldn't get away with half of the shit she gets away with if she weren't exceptionally pretty.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Aww. I loved the Paul Walker reference. He really was such a handsome guy. I'll always remember him as the 1950's hottie from Pleasantville.

Anyway, Mark liked this male model I picked for Patrick Christian, Ella's designer boyfriend:

Heath%20Hutchins%2021.jpg

His name is Heath Hutchins...former Southern college football player turned model. He underwent a big transformation in order to become a fashion model as well...it's funny watching this interview of him from when he was a college football player. You can barely tell it's the same guy. He had to drop about 50 pounds of muscle mass to do this.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Aww. I thought you guys would like this story...

Tony Dow of Leave It To Beaver Is Reunited With His First Car After 51 Years

So sweet. I like to picture that this is what Frank is like- a sweet old grandpa who will occasionally regale you with stories of his youth in the 1960's. (Well, more like 1950's for him. Frank is about 9 years older than Tony Dow.)

And yeah, that's one "cherry" car, to use old Californian slang. (Per the commentary for Fast Times At Ridgemont High.)

Cars play SUCH a big part in this story, and I think it's kind of sweet to see a story happen with one of the CAP "faces" that could totally be a story on CAP. (And pretty much is- J.P. has Steven's old car, and Brent or Trent is restoring Jeff's 1968 El Dorado.)

I wonder if we'll ever see one of the 1980's cars show up, although they don't seem to be as loved as 60's cars. Ace would get SO much love at a car show if he still somehow had his Delorean.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This selfie has been burning up Reddit, and it made me think...

Claire and Marie Hobart?

kpmbIErrO_r_KzjK8TRop9dWAiaAf7v5H0T0W-Jd

Ava really is the best ideal combination of Reese and Ryan facial-wise.

Speaking of Ava...are there any daughters on the horizon, Mark? That's going to be a hot baby name. I can totally see Wade wanting to name a daughter something like Ava. Very old-school and throwbacky.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Millie Bobbie Brown as a 12-year old Maddie?

nzEI96h.jpg

Millie's coloring is actually pretty close to how I pictured Jeanine's (and her daughter's) being. I think Millie's supposed to have some Mediterranean blood in her, like Maddie. I do think she'd be one very cool, chic little girl like Millie is.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Jimmy Garoppolo (Patriots second-string football player) as John Carullo?

150512-jimmy-garoppolo-yh-1053a_bb03692b

Jimmy-Garoppolo-140602-09.jpg

You can't get much more classic Italian-American hunk than him. He also just gives off a friendly vibe to him. I can just picture him being the friendly giant, kind of sloppy roommate to his fastidious roommate in some updated version of The Odd Couple.

I really was loving that storyline. I hope that if Mark feels like he can resume the story, we'll get more scenes with Carullo and JJ.

• Like 5
  • 5 weeks later...

Another picture of my idea for a pre-teen Maddie, 12-year old Millie Bobby Brown:

rs_634x824-161025065122-Millie-Bobby-Bro

I could totally see the Jeanine that Mark described back in Man In Motion having a daughter that turned out like a cool, kind of punkish type tween/teen. I do hope that Maddie is rebellious as hell and gives Will a heart attack or two.

• Like 1

Another picture of my idea for a pre-teen Maddie, 12-year old Millie Bobby Brown:

I could totally see the Jeanine that Mark described back in Man In Motion having a daughter that turned out like a cool, kind of punkish type tween/teen. I do hope that Maddie is rebellious as hell and gives Will a heart attack or two.

This is moving so far from my comfort zone.... i am not sure I'd cope!

• Like 3

Jimmy Garoppolo (Patriots second-string football player) as John Carullo?

150512-jimmy-garoppolo-yh-1053a_bb03692b

Jimmy-Garoppolo-140602-09.jpg

You can't get much more classic Italian-American hunk than him. He also just gives off a friendly vibe to him. I can just picture him being the friendly giant, kind of sloppy roommate to his fastidious roommate in some updated version of The Odd Couple.

I really was loving that storyline. I hope that if Mark feels like he can resume the story, we'll get more scenes with Carullo and JJ.

Perfect!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Anyone else watching Riverdale? Cole Sprouse is looking damn good.

yArfSy1J.jpg

Him and his brother Dylan are pretty close to how I'm picturing JJ- they have a lithe body that can look good in a lot of different fashions, thick naturally blond hair (Cole dyed his hair dark for Jughead), blue eyes (which Mark made cannon), and youthful faces that are very good-looking, but not a "hunk" type. More pretty than hunk, I think. In general, a great twink look.

I've always maintained that JJ needs to look like he escaped from a Disney Channel show, and looks like a little boy playing dress up when he goes full-on suit. His bitchiness would be funny for a guy who looks like he should be on the cover of TigerBeat magazine.

Also Cole kind of gives off this ambiguous sexual vibe. I wouldn't immediately think "gay" or "straight" when it comes to him. He does have a metrosexual vibe to him.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I'm watching The Defenders right. Watching Sigorney Weaver made me think...Alexander Billings Carmichael?

NYET801-910_2016_102544_hd.jpg

I don't think Mark's ever said her age but she would have to be at a minimum in her 60's. Probably not a 50-something the way Elizabeth Danfeld and Stefan are. Mark's already said that Elizabeth Danfield is Meryl Streep circa The Devil Wear Prada. I figured her rival would be someone that has an elder, stately matron vibe- still attractive but someone not still trying to be a Cougar like Elizabeth Danfield.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2017 at 11:28 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Anyone else watching Riverdale? Cole Sprouse is looking damn good.

yArfSy1J.jpg

Him and his brother Dylan are pretty close to how I'm picturing JJ- they have a lithe body that can look good in a lot of different fashions, thick naturally blond hair (Cole dyed his hair dark for Jughead), blue eyes (which Mark made cannon), and youthful faces that are very good-looking, but not a "hunk" type. More pretty than hunk, I think. In general, a great twink look.

I've always maintained that JJ needs to look like he escaped from a Disney Channel show, and looks like a little boy playing dress up when he goes full-on suit. His bitchiness would be funny for a guy who looks like he should be on the cover of TigerBeat magazine.

Also Cole kind of gives off this ambiguous sexual vibe. I wouldn't immediately think "gay" or "straight" when it comes to him. He does have a metrosexual vibe to him.

I think Dylan is a better match 

On 9/3/2017 at 1:35 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I'm watching The Defenders right. Watching Sigorney Weaver made me think...Alexander Billings Carmichael?

NYET801-910_2016_102544_hd.jpg

I don't think Mark's ever said her age but she would have to be at a minimum in her 60's. Probably not a 50-something the way Elizabeth Danfeld and Stefan are. Mark's already said that Elizabeth Danfield is Meryl Streep circa The Devil Wear Prada. I figured her rival would be someone that has an elder, stately matron vibe- still attractive but someone not still trying to be a Cougar like Elizabeth Danfield.

I can see this one.  Good call. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/7/2017 at 1:33 AM, Mark Arbour said:

I think Dylan is a better match 

I can see this one.  Good call. 

Alright. Dylan it is. What works for me about it is that they have a very pretty, very cute look, but they aren't going to scream "hunk" when you first see them. And their body type and face type basically means they can pretty much work whatever look they want to look like. They also look like they will be carded into their 30's, hence Cole being 24 and still playing 16. I picture JJ being similar.

I really like Timothee Chalamet as Mouse, Brad's doomed high school friend and the eventual lover of JP in the 80's:

normal_set19_001.jpg

He's got the same kind of oddball cute twink look I see Mouse having. He's also got an air of artistic sensitivity, which is also something I've pictured Mouse having. Also, can't you just SEE this guy playing someone with some kind of tragic life and tragic ending? His face and bod would also look great in the punk looks of the mid-1980's, which Mark specified Mouse as getting into in Man In Motion.

I can also see Alisdair, but I lean more towards Mouse.

I wonder if Private Tim still posts here? I think Timothee so looks like his type. He likes that nerdy cute twink look.

Call Me By Your Name still hasn't played in Delaware yet. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to wait until I can Redbox it.

• Like 1
On 11/19/2016 at 7:38 PM, methodwriter85 said:

When Maddy is 12, Will will be in his mid-20s.  I think he'd cope with a punk/emo/rebellious Maddy just fine.  Cody, Wade, and Matt, on the other hand...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mark Arbour said:

When Maddy is 12, Will will be in his mid-20s.  I think he'd cope with a punk/emo/rebellious Maddy just fine.  Cody, Wade, and Matt, on the other hand...

I just wonder how Elizabeth Danfield will cope if and when Maddy and Riley start dating. I think she'd go ballistic. LOL.

23 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I just wonder how Elizabeth Danfield will cope if and when Maddy and Riley start dating. I think she'd go ballistic. LOL.

She probably won't really care about Maddy, since she's not her blood granddaughter.  Elizabeth is heartless enough to let that matter.  With Riley, she'll probably be relaxed, since he's a boy.  Now when he gets serious about someone, I suspect that's when things will get more intense. :-)

I meant them dating each other, Mark. I can't see Elizabeth being thrilled about Maddy as a possible future Danfield given her two mother's backgrounds. Jeanine's family seems pretty tacky, while Tiffany's family were cultists. With Matt Carrswold, if he had been a woman, they probably would have been totally happy with the match given that he comes from a respected family name.

But yeah, I'm kind of shipping Maddy with Riley. That would be pretty cute if they went out.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I meant them dating each other, Mark. I can't see Elizabeth being thrilled about Maddy as a possible future Danfield given her two mother's backgrounds. Jeanine's family seems pretty tacky, while Tiffany's family were cultists. With Matt Carrswold, if he had been a woman, they probably would have been totally happy with the match given that he comes from a respected family name.

But yeah, I'm kind of shipping Maddy with Riley. That would be pretty cute if they went out.

They're growing up essentially as siblings, though. Not sure they'll be interested in each other. Too much familiarity.  

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..