Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Upcoming Trends, Slang, Pop Culture, Etc

Blue, were California teenagers still saying things were "the bomb" in 2001? I just feel like 2001 is a little late to still have Will saying things are "the bomb"...it feels more like 1995-1998 slang, not slang still being used in mid-2001.

You could argue that because Will is younger his slang might not be as up to date as it would be with college kids, but he's around college kids so that doesn't work.

I've heard people saying things were "bomb-ass", but "the bomb" is something I haven't heard since middle school. I just want to know if people agree with me before we start phasing out "the bomb" from CAP character slang- if that term isn't out now in mid-'01, it's gotta be gone soon. I don't remember hearing that in high school, period. Things were "beast" and the like, but no longer "the bomb."

Edited by methodwriter85

You didn't ask me but here was my take growing up in Bay Area.

Sick was more common and universal than the bomb; which was still used but usually in über white areas because by that time cool urban kids had moved on.  Parents used it if that helps indicate its place on the coolness meter and it was too soon in serious usage to be used ironically.  I don't cringe as much because rich kids are usually the last to pick up on the latest slang.  If Will went to Oakland Tech, "the bomb" would have flopped.  He probably would have gotten snickers at Head Royce given its urban location.  One could argue East Palo Alto is close but the creek might as well be a wall on how separate EPA is from PA.  Things are changing but it's a long process.

Beast was not common on the west coast; liked "wicked" the only people that I knew who used it were transplants.

Hella (or hecka for those who didn't wanna curse :boy: ) are and have been NorCal staples for as long as I can remember.  No Doubt released the song Hella Good in 2001 in honor the NorCal (Bay Area specific) slang.

Edited by Miles Long
  • Like 2

Yeah, I gave the whole thing a little more thought, and figured that since 2000 and 2001 were still "culturally" the 90's, it's not that big of a deal to have Will still saying "the bomb", especially since he's not really supposed to be an uber-hip and edgy guy.

I did hear though that some 70's slang made a comeback in the early 00's, like "clutch" and "boss". Burn=insult was also going around, likely because of That 70's Show.

What are good emerging subsitutes and the like for "the bomb" for this time period? I didn't start hearing "sick" until about 2003, but I'm also from Delaware. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85

You didn't ask me but here was my take growing up in Bay Area.

Sick was more common and universal than the bomb; which was still used but usually in über white areas because by that time cool urban kids had moved on.  Parents used it if that helps indicate its place on the coolness meter and it was too soon in serious usage to be used ironically.  I don't cringe as much because rich kids are usually the last to pick up on the latest slang.  If Will went to Oakland Tech, "the bomb" would have flopped.  He probably would have gotten snickers at Head Royce given its urban location.  One could argue East Palo Alto is close but the creek might as well be a wall on how separate EPA is from PA.  Things are changing but it's a long process.

Beast was not common on the west coast; liked "wicked" the only people that I knew who used it were transplants.

Hella (or hecka for those who didn't wanna curse :boy: ) are and have been NorCal staples for as long as I can remember.  No Doubt released the song Hella Good in 2001 in honor the NorCal (Bay Area specific) slang.

Thanks Miles.  That's a good synopsis.  When I lived in the Bay, there might as well have been a Berlin Wall type structure between EPA and PA.

• 2 weeks later...

It's weird though, Blue. I almost feel like you're part of a different generation even though we're only technically 21-months apart from each other in age. Like, when I talk to people born from about 1980 to 1984, it just feels like their childhoods were different from mine, in terms of the references and the like. I think there's also something about the fact that post-January 1985 people started high school in the 2000's and not the 90's, whereas the late 90's were high school for people more your age. 

It makes me wonder if there was just that much of a pop culture turnover in the time period where we were growing up that it created some kind of schism of between the First-Term Regan Babies vs. the Second-Term Regan ones. I just feel like I have more in common with people born in 1988 than I do with people born in 1983, even though they're both technically the same-age difference from where I am.

It's interesting how hard it is to define all that...Generations usually have to have sub-generations in there. For example, Mark Arbour is technically a Baby Boomer, having been born in 1963. (The Baby Boomer generation is considered anyone born from 1946 to 1964.) But Mark is too young to have any memories of the Kennedy assassination or to have been influenced by his administration. He's also too young to have worried about getting drafted and sent off to Vietnam, another hall-mark of the Baby Boomer experience.  Mark's college years weren't marked with war protests or draft cards- they were marked with tight Ralph Lauren polo shirts and Reaganism. That's why Mark and his peers might be clusetered into a sub-genre of the Baby Boomers called Generation Jones- a term describing the second half of the baby boom from 1954 to 1964- describing the people who were too young for Woodstock and were teenagers during the economic malaise of the 1970's. I'd call Mark Arbour and Sharon's co-hort "The Dazed and Confused" Generation.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a great tune from '03 that I can't wait to incorporate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km_8JLt6MPA

2003 really has to be one of my favorite music years. Can't you just picture a 19-year old Blue dancing his ass off to "Satisfaction" at a California night club?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a big one:

IPods were released on October 23rd, 2001- so a little late for Brad's 39th birthday, but I'd bet anything this family would have the connections to get them a couple of weeks before they went on the market. Maybe Claire would get one from Jack on her 37th birthday?

Jack, Brad, and Robbie seem the most likely to have them first- IPods were first popular with older adult consumers. Because they were only compatible with Mac and pretty pricey, they weren't really that popular with teenagers until later on, like 2003-2004. I remember the Ipod Nano being really popular with teenagers in 2004.

It's pretty funny when you think that because of IPods, cd's are disapearing. But because IPods don't have the kind of sound that records do, records are experiencing a resurgence. Records might be the first obsolete technology that manages to replace what was designed to replace them.

• 2 weeks later...

In honor of The O.C. coming out 10 years ago today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhu302SBuac

I can't overstate the importance of The O.C. on pop culture. 2003 had such a major shift in fashion and music, and I think the O.C. played a big part in that. Every girl I knew was wearing ballet flats with peasant skirts and tank tops like Marissa Cooper was, nerds like Seth Cohen became cool in their own way, and indie music got such a big boost.

Edited by methodwriter85

That moment when reality shows become especially "real"...

Big Brother Finds Out About 9/11

It was especially fascinating to watch this, because the Big Brother cast was isolated within the house and couldn't watch the endless news feed that was going on about 9/11...all they could get was what the producers decided to tell them.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 1 month later...

So, I'm going to get more serious here. The Miss America racist backlash really made me think again about the upcoming anti-Middle Eastern sentiment. It's amazing to me that it's 12 years after 9/11, and someone of middle-Eastern descent will still get a comment like this:

De La Rutherford @Blayne_MkItRain

Congratulations Al-Qaeda. Our Miss America is one of you.

It's just really frustrating and saddening that with all of the coming together that happened because of 9/11, you also had along with it some pretty bigoted beliefs take root in the minds of some Americans.

It's also really important to remember that racists don't make the distinction of, "Well, Al-Qaeda was from Aghanistan, and Nina Davulari is Indian, so it's all okay." Nina gets lumped in as being an "Arab", and "Arab=Terrorist", so then you get the "Miss America is Terrorist!" bullshit mindset going on. Ugh. So disgusting.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 1 month later...

Now that we're in the waning days of 2001 in CAP, here's a look at the music that will dominate the United States in 2002:

Eminem hits his creative and commercial peak, Nelly continues his ride, Avril Lavigne pops up as the anti-Britney Spears "Punk" goddess, and Nickelback begin their reign as the Gods of Soft Rock. I also remember 2002 as being the year that John Mayer started getting notice, Maroon 5 was a hot new band, and boybands were officially dunzo.

Some 2002 songs I can't wait to use (assuming that Mark doesn't skip to 2003) :

1. "Lose Yourself" by Eminem

2. "Til I Collapse" by Eminem

3. "Your Body Is A Wonderland" by John Mayer

I feel like almost every single acoustic guitar player I saw in college sounded like John Mayer.

4. "Sk8er Boi" by Avril Lavigne

I am laughing my ass watching this, and remembering all the hate Avril seemed to inspire from people back when she hit it big in '02. She was the lazy, go-to Halloween costume for girls that year, much like Miley Cyrus is for this year. Oh, the days of Hot Topic and studded bracelets and black cargo pants matched with ironic retro band t-shirts.

5. "Head On Collision" by New Found Glory

Poppy punk at its finest. God, I must have listened to this album on repeat the summer I bought it at Hot Topic.

6. "Screaming Infidelities" by Dashboard Confessional

Welcome to the indie emo era of the early/mid-2000's. It was an easy song to play, so it was easy to get your friend who had a guitar to sing the song.

• 5 months later...

I was walking in the mall today, and I noticed a LOT of paisley-print pattern shirts for men on sale, especially at H & M. I guess that's coming back in?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

These two haircuts seem like they're really popular right now:

Easy-hairstyles-for-men.jpg

undercut-hairstyle-for-men-2.jpg

I gotta say, I'm digging this look more than I did mid/late 2000's Zac Efron hair. The main focus of it seems to be longer on the top and really short sides, and either parted to the side or pushed back. I tried to pull off the undercut, but it's not a good look on me because my hair is too curly. The deep side-part could probably work for me, though. I might try it.

Also, facial hair seems pretty big right now. Except for preppy guys. The classic preppy boy look basically never seems to change. Every time I go back and party at UD bars I keep laughing and trying to count all the boat shoes and pastel shorts. It was major culture shock when I went to grad school in Pittsburgh and saw frat guys wearing construction boots instead of loafers.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

It was major culture shock when I went to grad school in Pittsburgh and saw frat guys wearing construction boots instead of loafers.

The correct term is 'shitkickers', not "construction boots". God Jeremy, get it right. :P

...you obviously didn't grow up in the boondocks or you woulda gotten your ass beat for calling them construction boots....

For whatever retarded reason, rednecks took offense to their boots being called anything other than shitkickers. Go figure.  :rolleyes:

Edited by TetRefine
  • Like 3

Shit kickers usually went with western boots where I was hanging in that time frame. Construction boots were called boondockers, or sometimes just "work boots" but Matt is very right - those that called their boots shit kickers got very upset if you called them anything else!

Hipsters were to the 2000's what the yuppies were to the 1980's- the defining archtype to the decade that were endlessly mockable. Someone came up with an "Evolution of the Hipster" timeline at the end of 2009. I can see Stefan recoiling in horror at the 2008-2009 hipsters. LOL.

evolution-hipster.jpg

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Hipsters were to the 2000's what the yuppies were to the 1980's- the defining archtype to the decade that were endlessly mockable. Someone came up with an "Evolution of the Hipster" timeline at the end of 2009. I can see Stefan recoiling in horror at the 2008-2009 hipsters. LOL.

evolution-hipster.jpg

You need better sources hun......  everyone knows hipsters drink Pabst Blue Ribbon.

PBR-Shirt.jpg

Yeah, that was my one bitch about the chart. Otherwise, it's pretty damn accurate- I started hanging out around hipsters in 2007, and the 2007, 2008, and 2009 hipsters look pretty spot-on. The tattoo sleeve on the hipster girl is a great touch.

I'm kinda surprised that you know about the whole hipster deal though, Tim. You don't strike me as someone who would hang out with them. You strike me more as a "country club in the suburbs" type, not a hipster bar goer.

Edited by methodwriter85

Jeremy if you need to research modern day "hipsters", just take a walk through South Street, Fishtown, Northern Liberties, or certain parts of Kensington. You'll see a overwhelming tidal wave of these douchbags on every corner in those neighborhoods.

For a school as preppy as University of Delaware, we actually have a pretty sizeable hipster scene there. And then there's Wilmington's one gentrified area, Trolley Square. Private Tim and Mark Arbour like to joke about what a backwater of a state Delaware is, but the truth is that we're heavily influenced by Philadelphia, D.C., and Baltimore. The state itself has 900k people, but within three hours of us you've got the Philly Metro Area, the D.C./Baltimore Metro Area, and New York City's on the edge of that. U of D actually has a lot of students from New York and North New Jersey, so those influences rub off on us.

It's weird to think of hipsters in Kensington. When I think of Kensington, I think of this:

But New York City has gotten too expensive, so hipsters are making their way down to Philly. (And apparently, Detroit.) North Philadelphia is the last bastion, apparently, and the residents are fighting it with all their might.

Edited by methodwriter85

Most of Kensington is still like that in the video, but give it 10-15 years and I guarantee you it will go from the Black/Puerto Rican hell hole it is now to a gentrified, mostly White/Asian area. The poverty in Philadelphia is getting pushed farther and farther out, which is a good thing considering poverty has blighted and dragged this city down the past 30+ years. 

But alas, 2014 Philadelphia has nothing really to do with 2002 California culture so I'll stop now. :P

Edited by TetRefine

Actually, it's fine, Tet. This thread isn't about 2002 Callfornia culture- I started this to talk about the broader national and international trends, pop culture, and events.

The gentrification in Philly is interesting....they're FINALLY doing something with The Gallery At Market East.

Anyway...back to pop culture...since we're in 2002 right now...two big T.V. shows that are on right now in CAP-Land:

The Osbournes (Premiered March 5th)

That was MTV's record-breaking t.v. show at the time- it had amazing ratings for cable back then.

And of course, the big surprise summer hit:

American Idol (Premiered June 11th)

It's crazy to think that Kelly Clarkson is still relevant after 12 years. America really did one hell of a job picking their idol that first year.

Movies:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (April 19th- sleeper hit that slowly climbed it's way up the charts despite never hitting 1...it stayed in theaters for like a year.)

Spiderman (May 3rd- the biggest movie of 2002)

James Franco before he became an insufferable ass. And remember when Kirsten Dunst was EVERYWHERE?

Signs (August 2nd)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (November 15th)

Tom Riddle. *DROOL.*

Chicago (December 27th)

This is really more of a 2003 movie, but eh, it was fun to watch when the '03 Blizzard hit our area...a lot of people went to the movies.

Other big movies: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (December 18th) and the Star Wars movie (May 16th). People do not seem all that fond of that Star Wars prequel triology.

Also, 2002 Oscar bait/indie movies that were acclaimed and celebrated at the 2003 Oscars:

Unfaithful

Diane Lane's comeback movie that got her nominated for an Oscar.

The Hours

The Oscar went to Nicole Kidman for the Oscars that she SHOULD have gotten for The Others and Moulin Rouge.

Far From Heaven

Probably my favorite from that year...at that time, I was on an Old Hollywood movie kick, and I really loved how it was such a wonderfully crafted throwback to 1950's melodramas.

Also, god, was Dennis Quaid a DILF in that or what?

Not to sidetrack again, but here is a interesting video that chronicles Center City's rise from the hell-hole it was in the early 90s to being one of the most populated and vibrant downtowns in America today.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..