It's Not Easy Being A Tree

Hi gang --

I just wanted to give a quick shout-out for the story It's Not Easy Being A Tree by Ronyx. The final chapters were just posted today, so if you visit the above link, you can read the whole thing.

I won't say too much about it because I don't want to spoil the story, but suffice it to say that the young protagonist finds out more than he ever wanted to know about the hazards of the internet, not to mention the challenges of being gay in a homophobic environment. The story has many remarkable twists and turns, and as I've said privately to Ron, the author, I believe it shows a lot more range than his previous stories.

So if any of you find yourself at a loose end looking for an interesting story, this one will definitely serve your needs.

A

Ron's stories are always interesting and very well written. This latest story, about a guy named Woody (great name given the title), was excellent. And the bad guys get their reward.

I'm only sorry that it will be some months before Ron starts another story. He does have a healthy collection of work at http://www.themustardjar.com/, so there's plenty to read if you haven't already. I would suggest you start with Brittle as a Bird, followed by it's sequel, A Bridge to Yesterday.

Ron's stories are always interesting and very well written. This latest story, about a guy named Woody (great name given the title), was excellent. And the bad guys get their reward.

I'm only sorry that it will be some months before Ron starts another story. He does have a healthy collection of work at http://www.themustardjar.com/, so there's plenty to read if you haven't already. I would suggest you start with Brittle as a Bird, followed by it's sequel, A Bridge to Yesterday.

B)..................... I have read all of Ronyx's works! He is a great writer, and his stories are well thought out. His last one, well I loved how he left Woody hanging with the parents on that, life is like that I guess. If I remember correctly, I had been told of a story on Comsie''s site, then got linked to 'The Mustard Jar' followed it to Codey (Damn, I miss him!!!) then found GA. My introduction to the world of gay stories started about 5 years ago, quickly became an obsession filling a long held void in my life. I agree, that anyone that wants to read other stories while the ones the are following are in hiatus should visit the above link! :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Guest Thank4poisio

I love this story! I'd just finished it... and now I want more! I guess I'm going to themustard jar.com or whatever it's called lol Any other recomendations (not comically or ron preferably.)

Great story. Just read it. Though there seems to be a problem with chapter 8 (chapter 9 shows up twice). Nonetheless, great stuff.

When I checked the links just now they looked correct, but chapter 9 is here. If you end up at chapter 8 from his navigation page, just change the '8"' to a "9" in the address bar then press Enter.

A

I love this story! I'd just finished it... and now I want more! I guess I'm going to themustard jar.com or whatever it's called lol Any other recomendations (not comically or ron preferably.)

The Cole Parker stories indexed here are all good.

A

It's not finished, but the in-progress story The Move by Doug Smith is turning out to be quite a good yarn.

A

It's not finished, but the in-progress story The Move by Doug Smith is turning out to be quite a good yarn.

A

Thanks for that. I'll bookmark it for later. I'm reading 'Joel' by Ted Louis / and, ' A rent boy named...'. by Tristan Strangebrew, right now.

Both are a little different. The story Joel, is a little similar to Bill W's popular story ' The Castaway hotel' if you've read that one.

Guest Thank4poisio

A

I've actually been reading that one... I'm currently on chapter 23... I started reading it on nifty

Oooh, I've been following this story on Nifty. Didn't realise there were later chapters available elsewhere. Will have to take a look. I've mostly enjoyed the story, except a couple of crucial plot points revolve around Woody being kind of dumb - eg camming publicly in the chat room when it would have made more sense for him to cam privately with IndyBoi via Skype, Instant Messenger or a dozen other ways.

I'm also enjoying "The Move". Another final recommendation for a good story in progress "Everything will be alright", which is in the Young Friends section on NIfty.

Guest Thank4poisio

Oooh, I've been following this story on Nifty. Didn't realise there were later chapters available elsewhere. Will have to take a look. I've mostly enjoyed the story, except a couple of crucial plot points revolve around Woody being kind of dumb - eg camming publicly in the chat room when it would have made more sense for him to cam privately with IndyBoi via Skype, Instant Messenger or a dozen other ways.

I'm also enjoying "The Move". Another final recommendation for a good story in progress "Everything will be alright", which is in the Young Friends section on NIfty.

I just finished "The Move" ... or all that is written, so far. :) lol

The Nifty version of "Tree" is weeks behind the postings on the Mustard Jar site, where the story is finished.

Maybe Woody kind of liked being seen by other people in the more public chat room . . .

A

The Nifty version of "Tree" is weeks behind the postings on the Mustard Jar site, where the story is finished.

Maybe Woody kind of liked being seen by other people in the more public chat room . . .

A

I could believe that for Connor aka IndyBoi, but I never got the feeling that Woody wanted to perform for the whole chat room, just IndyBoi. I found it odd that Woody never even tried to say to IndyBoi "hey, i'll get on the cam for you, but I don't want to do it front of everyone". For the story to work, IndyBoi might have had to talk Woody into giving a public show, or explaining some technical reason why they couldn't cam in private.

It's not that I can't believe a teenager would strip off in front of strangers in front of a webcam, but I find it harder to believe for the character Ronyx created. Woody wasn't looking for attention in general (which I suspect motivates a lot of teens - lots of people saying "hey, you're hot!"), but rather attention specifically from IndyBoi.

I was also concerned about the direction the story was taking with Mr Dewberry's advances - I was kind of afraid that Woody was going to let himself get trapped by the situation without realising he had more power in his hands to stop Dewberry and Brandon than he realised. I was glad to see that Woody took exactly the right action and the "villains" were appropriately punished. I was relieved the story had a "happy" ending, even if the triumph wasn't without its costs.

So apart from the minor nitpicking, I enjoyed the story overall.

I could believe that for Connor aka IndyBoi, but I never got the feeling that Woody wanted to perform for the whole chat room, just IndyBoi. I found it odd that Woody never even tried to say to IndyBoi "hey, i'll get on the cam for you, but I don't want to do it front of everyone". For the story to work, IndyBoi might have had to talk Woody into giving a public show, or explaining some technical reason why they couldn't cam in private.

It's not that I can't believe a teenager would strip off in front of strangers in front of a webcam, but I find it harder to believe for the character Ronyx created. Woody wasn't looking for attention in general (which I suspect motivates a lot of teens - lots of people saying "hey, you're hot!"), but rather attention specifically from IndyBoi.

I guess I assumed that Woody was so new to all of this that he never considered the possibility that there was a more private venue for what he was doing -- he may have assumed that this public chat area was his only option.

I was also concerned about the direction the story was taking with Mr Dewberry's advances - I was kind of afraid that Woody was going to let himself get trapped by the situation without realising he had more power in his hands to stop Dewberry and Brandon than he realised. I was glad to see that Woody took exactly the right action and the "villains" were appropriately punished. I was relieved the story had a "happy" ending, even if the triumph wasn't without its costs.

I had the same concerns. It surprises me that Dewberry managed to carry out his type of activity as long as he did without detection. Presumably it was because the boys involved consented. Which raises the question, why did he suddenly turn to coercion in Woody's case? It was supremely risky for someone in his position. Was there any indication in the story that Woody was such an extraordinary "catch" that it would be worth the teacher throwing away his entire career and life as he knew it in order to pursue him? It's as though the guy went right off the deep end.

So apart from the minor nitpicking, I enjoyed the story overall.

Me too. As I mentioned originally, I think it shows much more range and depth than Ron's earlier stories, which is not to detract from them because I like them as well.

A

• Like 1

[quote name='Agincourt' timestamp='1304213342' post='299769'

I had the same concerns. It surprises me that Dewberry managed to carry out his type of activity as long as he did without detection. Presumably it was because the boys involved consented. Which raises the question, why did he suddenly turn to coercion in Woody's case? It was supremely risky for someone in his position. Was there any indication in the story that Woody was such an extraordinary "catch" that it would be worth the teacher throwing away his entire career and life as he knew it in order to pursue him? It's as though the guy went right off the deep end.

A

B)................. I think Dewberry never considered getting 'caught' he had been doing this for so long he thought he was 'teflon', and thought that by blackmail he could continue it. I mean it worked for him for so long! Why how he coerced Brandon is beyond me though, Brandon obviously had some mental issues. Woody still has his own issues to resolve here, his family is not very happy and his notoriety may soon be seen in school. But the author left us with a cliffhanger here didn't he? 0:)

• 2 months later...

I just finished "The Move" ... or all that is written, so far. :) lol

I started reading "The Move" when it was brought up on this thread in late April. Back then (at least, according to the Nifty postings), it looked like there was a new chapter about once a week (sometimes twice a week).

Naturally, since I started reading, there have only been a couple of updates, the last one being June 1.

It seems like the story is almost done, so here's to hoping that there's a new chapter coming soon.

I started reading "The Move" when it was brought up on this thread in late April. Back then (at least, according to the Nifty postings), it looked like there was a new chapter about once a week (sometimes twice a week).

Naturally, since I started reading, there have only been a couple of updates, the last one being June 1.

It seems like the story is almost done, so here's to hoping that there's a new chapter coming soon.

I have corresponded with the author of "The Move" several times, and he always apologizes for the slowdown in postings. It sounds like he is still in school and has been pretty busy. He said that the last chapter posted actually sat about 80% finished on his computer for months, but for whatever reason he couldn't generate either the time or the mindset needed to get it finished until the end of the school year.

A

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I remember reading Its Not Easy Being a Tree back at the first of the year and I really enjoyed it. And I am still reading The Move as it comes out. Both are well written stories by talented authors. GA has a lot of talented authors I enjoy reading. I'm really glad I found GA so I can read more stories like these and all of Comicality's stories. Come on Comicality, we need more of Gone from Daylight!!!
  • Like 1

Consider it done! Posted Image

Actually, I posted it on the Library a few weeks ago, but since I reformatted the laptop, I'm able to post on GA again So it went up today! I hope you likes! Posted Image

I already read it and said I liked it :P

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..