"A Different Road" by Ronyx

This discussion is about A Different Road by Ronyx. While I don't think I am offering any spoilers, those who have not read the story should be warned.

You ever had a best friend who was inseparable from you? Someone that if they got

sick, you got sick, just so you could share their pain. Someone who you knew would

come running if you needed a shoulder to cry on. Someone who would laugh at all

your corny jokes.

That was Brett. My inseparable other. Until yesterday.

I don’t even know what happened. I didn’t even see it coming. One day we were

best friends and lovers. Now he’s not even here to wipe away my tears. Tears that

belong to him. Tears that have flooded from my heart, consumed my soul and now

find their way to my eyes.

He said he had to travel a different road. This one without me. He’s traveling a new

road with someone else. Mine dead ends ahead.

So begins this story, and the first five chapters flesh out the implications of this development.

Somewhat like the beginning of the movie Sunset Boulevard, which opens with the image of writer Joe Gillis floating dead in a swimming pool and then flashes back to the events that led to this outcome, the initial chapters of "A Different Road" intercut scenes of the present with scenes of the past. We see Corey, the first-person narrator and protagonist, growing up with his best bud Brett. In their early (pre-teen) days they play around with a football, leading to Brett now being quarterback on the high school football team and Corey his star receiver. As Corey and Brett get older they start fooling around sexually, and Corey falls heavily in love with Brett. But this whole world falls apart after the episode described in the opening. There is other serious fallout in just about every aspect of his school and family life, as he suddenly comes to grips with things that apparently everyone else around him has seen for quite some time. He finds some interesting aliies along the way.

I don't want to say anything more because of the risk of spoilers.

The story is written in an economical, fast-paced style that moves things along quickly. Drama develops rapidly. A number of themes develop in this story that are echoed in other Ronyx stories.

An excellent read in a total of 12 chapters.

A

Edited by Agincourt

This discussion is about A Different Road by Ronyx. While I don't think I am offering any spoilers, those who have not read the story should be warned.

You ever had a best friend who was inseparable from you? Someone that if they got

sick, you got sick, just so you could share their pain. Someone who you knew would

your corny jokes.

best friends and lovers. Now he’s not even here to wipe away my tears. Tears that

He said he had to travel a different road. This one without me. He’s traveling a new

So begins this story, and the first five chapters flesh out the implications of this development.

Somewhat like the beginning of the movie Sunset Boulevard, which opens with the image of writer Joe Gillis floating dead in a swimming pool and then flashes back to the events that led to this outcome, the initial chapters of "A Different Road" intercut scenes of the present with scenes of the past. We see Corey, the first-person narrator and protagonist, growing up with his best bud Brett. In their early (pre-teen) days they play around with a football, leading to Brett now being quarterback on the high school football team and Corey his star receiver. As Corey and Brett get older they start fooling around sexually, and Corey falls heavily in love with Corey. But this whole world falls apart after the episode described in the opening. There is other serious fallout in just about every aspect of his school and family life, as he suddenly comes to grips with things that apparently everyone else around him has seen for quite some time. He finds some interesting aliies along the way.

The story is written in an economical, fast-paced style that moves things along quickly. Drama develops rapidly. A number of themes develop in this story that are echoed in other Ronyx stories.

A

B)................ Ronyx is a favorite author of mine, I read all his stories to date, last being the recently finished 'It's not easy being a Tree" He has a flair that I love.

your corny jokes.

Somewhat like the beginning of the movie Sunset Boulevard, which opens with the image of writer Joe Gillis floating dead in a swimming pool and then flashes back to the events that led to this outcome, the initial chapters of "A Different Road" intercut scenes of the present with scenes of the past. We see Corey, the first-person narrator and protagonist, growing up with his best bud Brett. In their early (pre-teen) days they play around with a football, leading to Brett now being quarterback on the high school football team and Corey his star receiver. As Corey and Brett get older they start fooling around sexually, and Corey falls heavily in love with Brett. But this whole world falls apart after the episode described in the opening. There is other serious fallout in just about every aspect of his school and family life, as he suddenly comes to grips with things that apparently everyone else around him has seen for quite some time. He finds some interesting aliies along the way.

A

just read the story. I couldn't help but feel sorry for Brett, In the end. Poor guy. Thanks for mentioning the story. I'm reallly glad I had the chance to read it.

Edited by Former Member
  • 2 months later...

This story is spectacular!! All of Ronyx's stories are really!! This one particularly makes you feel for both of the characters!!!

SPOILERS ALERT!! Though you start by feeling immensely bad for Corey, in the end you couldn't feel more sorry for Brett. The plot is predictable and there is no scope for rendition but its simple beauty still touches the heart! Well, it touched mine!

A must read!

P.S. : All Ronyx's stories in The Mustard Jar should be gone over at least once! :2thumbs:

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..