"Door Number Three" by Ronyx

As long as I'm on the subject, I thought I would mention the story "Door Number Three" by Ronyx. I think this is one I suggested to Comsie as a possible 5CBC selection, but it's also possible that I suggested "A Different Road" after he had initially proposed this one. I don't remember.

Spoilers are likely in the discussion below, so be warned if you haven't read the story.

This story has a number of elements that have become familiar in Ronyx stories, although the specifics are quite different and the overall story is far more complex than his earlier ones.

Narrator/protagonist Zac Barnes is a high school senior. He is an avid track participant, running 100 m sprints. Across the street lives his classmate Kenny, who is a gifted baseball pitcher. The two boys have been best buds since early childhood. Kenny is good enough that he has a possible shot at a professional career. Zac is a good enough runner that he might have an Olympics shot.

Zac has been dating classmate Rachel for two years, and to all appearances is "normal." Throughout this time Kenny often brags of his sexual activity with his girlfriend Alise, who is Rachel's best friend, and Kenny wants to see Zac get laid as well.

Then Kenny introduces Zac to another athlete named Adrian. Adrian is also a senior, a popular athlete who played his final season of football in the fall and now plans to go out for baseball. Kenny recruits Adrian to be "his" catcher on the baseball team. Sparks fly between Zac and Adrian when they first meet, and Zac discovers feelings being awakened that he never acknowledged before. He is angry with himself for having such feelings.

Zac's world falls apart when he finally has a chance to go all the way with Rachel, and can't perform. All he can think of is Adrian. Leading the charge of the forces of Zac's destruction, ironically, is Kenny, who is both racist and homophobic. Zac is quickly plunged into a fairly desperate situation.

The story takes a number of twists and turns as Zac struggles to find his way through all of these challenges while maintaining the focus needed to do well in track. Karma shows up in a lot of the right places. Zac has to reach into the deepest parts of himself to handle what's happening to him, and even so it often seems as though that's not enough.

In the mix we have a homophobic fire-and-brimstone preacher, parents who are supportive, parents who are assholes, students who are supportive, students who are assholes, and a volunteer coach who appears serendipitously and turns out to be a significant mentor to Zac.

It is a brisk, fast-paced story that constantly surprises the reader. It's another one that I would recommend.

A

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

As long as I'm on the subject, I thought I would mention the story "Door Number Three" by Ronyx. I think this is one I suggested to Comsie as a possible 5CBC selection, but it's also possible that I suggested "A Different Road" after he had initially proposed this one. I don't remember.

Spoilers are likely in the discussion below, so be warned if you haven't read the story.

This story has a number of elements that have become familiar in Ronyx stories, although the specifics are quite different and the overall story is far more complex than his earlier ones.

Narrator/protagonist Zac Barnes is a high school senior. He is an avid track participant, running 100 m sprints. Across the street lives his classmate Kenny, who is a gifted baseball pitcher. The two boys have been best buds since early childhood. Kenny is good enough that he has a possible shot at a professional career. Zac is a good enough runner that he might have an Olympics shot.

Zac has been dating classmate Rachel for two years, and to all appearances is "normal." Throughout this time Kenny often brags of his sexual activity with his girlfriend Alise, who is Rachel's best friend, and Kenny wants to see Zac get laid as well.

Then Kenny introduces Zac to another athlete named Adrian. Adrian is also a senior, a popular athlete who played his final season of football in the fall and now plans to go out for baseball. Kenny recruits Adrian to be "his" catcher on the baseball team. Sparks fly between Zac and Adrian when they first meet, and Zac discovers feelings being awakened that he never acknowledged before. He is angry with himself for having such feelings.

Zac's world falls apart when he finally has a chance to go all the way with Rachel, and can't perform. All he can think of is Adrian. Leading the charge of the forces of Zac's destruction, ironically, is Kenny, who is both racist and homophobic. Zac is quickly plunged into a fairly desperate situation.

The story takes a number of twists and turns as Zac struggles to find his way through all of these challenges while maintaining the focus needed to do well in track. Karma shows up in a lot of the right places. Zac has to reach into the deepest parts of himself to handle what's happening to him, and even so it often seems as though that's not enough.

In the mix we have a homophobic fire-and-brimstone preacher, parents who are supportive, parents who are assholes, students who are supportive, students who are assholes, and a volunteer coach who appears serendipitously and turns out to be a significant mentor to Zac.

It is a brisk, fast-paced story that constantly surprises the reader. It's another one that I would recommend.

A

I think Ronyx's stories are a bit underrated.. Door Number Three is a kind of story that you don't wanna put down till you see it's end.

It just hooks you deep. I get that feeling whenever I start any of his stories. Door Number Three was the first of Ronyx's works that I read. And the pleasure I had was indescribable.

I do not want to give any spoilers since there is no point adulterating something so impressive. Its a must read! GO FOR IT GUYS!

• Like 2

I think Ronyx's stories are a bit underrated.. Door Number Three is a kind of story that you don't wanna put down till you see it's end.

It just hooks you deep. I get that feeling whenever I start any of his stories. Door Number Three was the first of Ronyx's works that I read. And the pleasure I had was indescribable.

I do not want to give any spoilers since there is no point adulterating something so impressive. Its a must read! GO FOR IT GUYS!

I agree, I highly recommend his stories as well. read them all in just a few sittings.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..