Experiments in the Medium

anyway, here's a thought: I've always had a desire not only to create an intriguing narrative, but a narative that is intriguing. Being online authors presents us with many opportunities, aside rom the genres Nifty provides. For example, I have a project in mind:

I want to create a character, give him issues, etc. Focusing on the charatcer. Then, on Blogger or Crazylife or one of those, create a ficticious blog, where he talk about his friends, maybe I'll make blogs for his freinds. Then I'll be presenting multiple views on the same events. They'll get free email accounts so there can be contact, and the reader will have their coments taken seriously and have an input on his decisions, making the plotline mildly open-ended. From this, assuming it can be done under a pseudonym, I want iMixes, Podcasts, forum memberships, the works. What's next in this online life? Friendster? Myspace? Flickr if photos become involved? Now, I don't plan on commiting actual identity theft, any service that requires a credit card is right out, but this character will be more lifelike than any other literary figure I've created. Not to mention, it will be a brilliant social commentary on the anonymity of the internet. Anybody here seen Simone?

This idea came to me watching an improv performance. In theater, it's easy to do this sort of thing, the audience is right there, but thanks to the internet, it is here too. Meaning the old pattern of literature can evolve to take advantage of it.

By all means do anything that you believe works your creativity. I just have one thing to ask. How is this going to be different from some 60 year old fat guy sitting at home on his computer visiting chat rooms pretending to be a 15 year old girl in order to get his rocks off? Not meaning this in a rude way, but are you're just going make up a fictitious character and live through him on the Internet? Or is there going to be a story line and plot and journals and the like? Just wondering, I guess I need to hear more. Thanks for posting. Me.

By all means do anything that you believe works your creativity. I just have one thing to ask. How is this going to be different from some 60 year old fat guy sitting at home on his computer visiting chat rooms pretending to be a 15 year old girl in order to get his rocks off? Not meaning this in a rude way, but are you're just going make up a fictitious character and live through him on the Internet? Or is there going to be a story line and plot and journals and the like? Just wondering, I guess I need to hear more. Thanks for posting. Me.

Interesting question (with disturbing visuals).

That is not by any means the point of what I want to do. I plan to make it quite clear, though not in a giant mood-killing font, that this is an interactive story. I will have a premise, ie, a kid with an issue. He gushes the issue (totally non-autobiographical) through the blog, and asks for advice. Should he recieve advice from a reader, he shall choose whether or not to act upon it. From there the plot develops. The appeal to the reader in this sense would not so much be that of the convenional narrative, which would be overcoming conflicts, but rather seeing what happens next. I'm making a digital paper doll, and I shall do with him what I will.

However, I forgot to touch upon the main point of this post, which would be what other new ways of writing are you trying out? Whether it be a conventional style to which you are unaccustomed or a way to take advantage of having literature on the internet, I'd love to hear some other thoughts..

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..