Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 95: Bull Dust

• Site Administrator

Loved the chapter, thanks CJ Posted Image

I do have to declare a major major major major cliffhanger at the end of the chapter:

Once the Jeep was locked up, they motored back to Kookaburra and began packing a bag with supplies for their morning departure, blissfully unawares.

Care to explain what they are blissfully unaware of?

Is Baginstoke on their tale already?

:o :o :o :o

Wildone!!!! Shame on you for such unfounded hyperbole!! Posted Image

We end the chapter with Trevor and Shane blissful and happy... and unawares, but of what? Why assume it could be something bad? It could be another key lime pie is coming... or a tasty steak dinner, or maybe a sighting of a kangaroo...

BTW, it's a spectacular region they're in. For those who don't have google earth, here's a link to google maps, showing the bend in the river they're at, plus, to the right of it, Murchison House, where they are going.

Posted Image ....... “Mountain Goat Beer, bottled but not tamed, surefoot stout,” I smell a windup!! Posted Image

Hi Benji.

Chapter 95 gives us all the best proof of The Goat and "Cliffhangers. Here is a chapter that does little if anything to advance the storyline. In reality all it does is move us approximately 36 hours forward in time. I guess CHJ carved out just enough to give himself a chapter to post.

Now think about it. He is ready to post. He connects to the GA Site. He does a final check for errors. OMG. HORRORS!!!! The Goat realizes there isn't a Cliffhanger in it. He has to do something. What to do?..... A Hah!!!!!! He adds two lousy words. "blissfully unawares."

He has redeemed himself. His reputation is safe. The goat has created a "Generic Universal Cliffhanger."

Marty

BTW He also stuck in goats on Martin's farm.

Edited by MartyS

hahahaha

Well all I can add is that I've followed the story for quite some time and while sections of it ARE SLOW I've enjoyed it immensely. Besides, I've enjoyed the maps and links. I do want to visit the southern hemisphere. It's on my list of things to do before I die. I want to see the Milky Way looking toward the center of our galaxy. Here in the northern hemisphere all we can see looking out toward the rim of our galaxy is maybe 10% of the stars you see in the south. But I digress.

I'd like to see the characters grow and develop more open feelings for one another. And again, that's just me. I'm a romantic at heart.

Some sections are slow? Glaciers move faster.

Too many goat references. His profile doesn't list his birthday, but he must be a Capricorn.

Today's Horoscope for Capricorn the Goat

The 10th Sign of the Zodiac

October 11, 2011

Your loved one will bring you a piece of news which could change your schedule.

Posted Image ...So the Kookaburra is hidden from the town side of Kalbarri? The mast hidden by the island, which means it is on the north side of the island right? And that is on the north side of the river, right? So when Martin, Trevor and Shane went to get the photos of the boat docked they were on the north side of the river, right? When did they cross a bridge when Trevor drove? Maybe I missed it but I thought the entire idea was to hide the boat, makes no sense that it was on the south side of the island in plain view of the road side of the town. Posted Image Edited by Benji
  • Site Administrator

From the maps, I assumed the river heads north from the town, the town is on the south side of the river, they had to leave the road and take a washed out road along the river when it starts to to east/west with the island in the middle. They are parked in a channel in the island on the southside.

Am I correct? Just how I read it.

Posted Image .............Trevor nodded. “Yeah, I was worried the mast would be seen above the trees if we stopped there, so we kept going past it. We hid her in a side channel behind Stork Island.” That leads me to believe that the boat is further hidden by being on the north side of the island to hide her mast from view. Edited by Benji

Posted Image .............Trevor nodded. “Yeah, I was worried the mast would be seen above the trees if we stopped there, so we kept going past it. We hid her in a side channel behind Stork Island.” That leads me to believe that the boat is further hidden by being on the north side of the island to hide her mast from view.

Hi Benji,

I think you are almost correct. The mast is showing because it is so tall. However, I believe the hull of the boat is concealed behind Stork Island.

Marty

• Site Administrator

okay, (I can't believe we are discussing this), I believe the main channel goes on the northside of the island. With the small channel that only kyakers can traverse (with exception Trevor in a Lagoon 57 Posted Image ) is on the southside. The island has inlets on it and that is where the boat is, being blocked by the southside of the island.

Make sense Posted Image

Edited by wildone

You know, cricket is probably the most boring game ever invented - I think Shane's version would be a distinct improvement. At least there would be something happening from time to time.

The thing about cricket is that it actually has no rules. :)

Posted Image ....... “Mountain Goat Beer, bottled but not tamed, surefoot stout,” I smell a windup!! Posted Image

The Goat's gotta get himself in the story somehow, which he's done a lot in this story.

Actually, the beer is quite real, and one of the top award winners in Australia.

http://www.goatbeer.com.au/

Surefoot stout is one of their top beers, and "Bottled but not tamed" is one of the slogans on the bottle.

It's also from Melbourne... and that ties into the plot in a few ways, as we'll see. (related: what two characters live in Melbourne?)

Posted Image

Chapter 95 gives us all the best proof of The Goat and "Cliffhangers. Here is a chapter that does little if anything to advance the storyline. In reality all it does is move us approximately 36 hours forward in time. I guess CHJ carved out just enough to give himself a chapter to post.

Now think about it. He is ready to post. He connects to the GA Site. He does a final check for errors. OMG. HORRORS!!!! The Goat realizes there isn't a Cliffhanger in it. He has to do something. What to do?..... A Hah!!!!!! He adds two lousy words. "blissfully unawares."

He has redeemed himself. His reputation is safe. The goat has created a "Generic Universal Cliffhanger."

Marty

BTW He also stuck in goats on Martin's farm.

Blisfully unawares is not a cliffhanger!! We don't even know if it's anything bad... maybe it's something good? A winning lottery ticket drifting downstream maybe?

hahahaha

Well all I can add is that I've followed the story for quite some time and while sections of it ARE SLOW I've enjoyed it immensely. Besides, I've enjoyed the maps and links. I do want to visit the southern hemisphere. It's on my list of things to do before I die. I want to see the Milky Way looking toward the center of our galaxy. Here in the northern hemisphere all we can see looking out toward the rim of our galaxy is maybe 10% of the stars you see in the south. But I digress.

I'd like to see the characters grow and develop more open feelings for one another. And again, that's just me. I'm a romantic at heart.

Thanks! :)

Sorry this one was slow... There was a discussion on this in the forum a while back, and though I did take it to heart, I mentioned then that I had several chapters already written. This was the last of those. A lot of the things in it... well, are they plot relavant? I think so, but I'll be the first to admit that the reason they are won't be readily apparent for a couple of chapters. I also have to admit that the part about the mailboxes was just something I found interesting, and it's not plot relavant, other than being something Trevor would notice.

The southern sky is awesome, I love it. I live far from any cities in Arizona, so I see the northern hemisphere sky in great detail and am familier with it, so looking up and seeing the southern sky is a rare and spacial treat. I haven't been south of the equator for about five years, but whenever I do head south, I make a point of doing some stargazing. :)

Some sections are slow? Glaciers move faster.

Too many goat references. His profile doesn't list his birthday, but he must be a Capricorn.

Today's Horoscope for Capricorn the Goat

The 10th Sign of the Zodiac

October 11, 2011

Your loved one will bring you a piece of news which could change your schedule.

The only goat reference I could get rid of is the mention of goats on Martin's farm. The others, I can't. Goat Island for one.. what am I supposed to do, rename it? That's what it's called, officially. As for the beer... as I mention above, that's quite real. It's also plot relavant, regarding Melbourne. Or might you know of another Melbourne microbrewery with a similar reputation, plus distribution in Western Australia, that I might have used instead? I figured it would fit well, plus be good for a laugh.

Posted Image ...So the Kookaburra is hidden from the town side of Kalbarri? The mast hidden by the island, which means it is on the north side of the island right? And that is on the north side of the river, right? So when Martin, Trevor and Shane went to get the photos of the boat docked they were on the north side of the river, right? When did they cross a bridge when Trevor drove? Maybe I missed it but I thought the entire idea was to hide the boat, makes no sense that it was on the south side of the island in plain view of the road side of the town. Posted Image

From the maps, I assumed the river heads north from the town, the town is on the south side of the river, they had to leave the road and take a washed out road along the river when it starts to to east/west with the island in the middle. They are parked in a channel in the island on the southside.

Am I correct? Just how I read it.

Okay, here's a map,

Posted Image

Bear in mind the directionn north is in the image. (it's not straight up).

The main channel angles north just pask Kalbarri. Kalbarri itself is on the south shore of the mouth, from the mouth to the fisherman's wharf (also called the yacht anchorage, which is how it's mentioned in the story) .

At Goat Island (yes, this is a real map, and that's what it's called) the main channel runs west of the island. That's where they would have anchored if they stopped there, putting the island between them and the same side of the river Kalbarri is on. (there are no bridges over the Murchison until you go far inland, to highway one, about 30 miles as the crow flies). But, you could probably see the mast from part of Kalbari: the mast tops out at about 80 feet, making it a lot taller than the local trees. They continued to Stork Island, and the river bends again there (all the bends making directions confusing as heck, sorry) and that side channel they are in is on the opposite side of the river (and Stork Island) from the southern shore.

BTW, they are just down river from Nanny Goat Well (which isn't mentioned in the story). There are a lot of goat placenames in the region, plus lots of domestic and ferral goats. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see dirt roads on BOTH sides of the river in the second one, but the southern side is easily accessible (with 4 wheel drive) from Kalbarri, so it gets far more visitors. Not many, but some. Kookoburra would be hidden from their view behind Stork Island, except for her mast.

Well now, CHJ

This is interesting:

Blissfully unawares is not a cliffhanger!! We don't even know if it's anything bad... maybe it's something good? A winning lottery ticket drifting downstream maybe?

I read what you are saying. You can be sure whatever happens between now and the completion of the story will be evaluated. I am not the only reader who considered it to be a Cliffhanger. Remember 156.

Purely as a matter of interest, there actually appear to be two bridges (??) crossing the river quite close to where Kookaburra is hidden.

I discovered this by zooming in to the max on Murchison House (roughly 3 miles east of Kookaburra) using the Google map link above.

The thing about cricket is that it actually has no rules. Posted Image

It's really quite simple:

"You have 2 sides; a team that's in and a team that's out.. two men in the team that's in go out and when one of the men who's in is out; the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out; the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in; the men who are out are trying to get him out; and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decided when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out; and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game." - from "Explaining Cricket to Americans (foreigners)" Posted Image

"You have 2 sides; a team that's in and a team that's out.. two men in the team that's in go out and when one of the men who's in is out; the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out; the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in; the men who are out are trying to get him out; and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decided when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out; and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game." - from "Explaining Cricket to Americans (foreigners)" Posted Image

Posted Image ....... Thank you for clearing that up!! Posted Image

Purely as a matter of interest, there actually appear to be two bridges (??) crossing the river quite close to where Kookaburra is hidden.

I discovered this by zooming in to the max on Murchison House (roughly 3 miles east of Kookaburra) using the Google map link above.

You're right!! I got that one wrong.

Here's a pic of one Looks like an old one, might be just a footbridge now. It only goes across a small part of it, wouldn't work when the water is at full flow.

The other is a dirt causeway. Pic here. Probably has culvert pipes under it to cross the flow when it's just a stream, but from the look of it they've had to rebuild it a few times. My guess at the moment is that when the Murchison is at full flow, you can't get a vehicle across here.

BTW, Murchison station looks really interesting... here's their logo

Posted Image

And yup, that's a goat's head in the center. They raise goats and cattle. Posted Image

Well now, CHJ

This is interesting:

I read what you are saying. You can be sure whatever happens between now and the completion of the story will be evaluated. I am not the only reader who considered it to be a Cliffhanger. Remember 156.

156?!?!? You keep mentioning that, but won't explain... you're leaving us HANGING. Therefor, you give me no choice but to declare your post a CLIFFHANGER!!!! (although I never use cliffhangers, I know 'em when I see 'em!)

That's probably the easiest to understand description of cricket I've ever seen!!! Posted Image

Posted Image ....... Thank you for clearing that up!! Posted Image

Cricket is designed to be confusing and incomprehensible. Posted Image

Posted Image

I think it's much ado about nothing, or at most, very little.

Cricket? But... cricket is what Australia and the UK use to confuse foreigners Posted Image . Actually, confusing foreigners is a national pastime in Australia - how else does one explain the platypus? Also, just look at what they did with their navy... Australia has a two-ocean policy, so has massive bases on its east and west coast - Fleet Base East and Fleet Base West. However, those bases are BOTH on Garden Island. Garden Island in Sydney harbor for Fleet Base East, and another Garden Island south of Perth for Fleet Base West. Confusing!!! Posted Image

BTW, time to give the title for the next chapter: Judas.

156?!?!? You keep mentioning that, but won't explain... you're leaving us HANGING. Therefor, you give me no choice but to declare your post a CLIFFHANGER!!!! (although I never use cliffhangers, I know 'em when I see 'em!)

BTW, time to give the title for the next chapter: Judas.

I have only posted the three digit number 156 one time in any thread in this Forum. All I did was to tell you to remember it.

The title of Chapter 96 is Judas. Is that a Masculine or Feminine Judas?

... much ado about nothing, or at most, very little.

Sums up a cricket game pretty well.

And, CJ, I wish you wouldn't tar all Brits with the cricket brush. Most Scots have better things to do with their time than waste 5 days of it on a game that may well still end in a draw. There's haggis hunting, for example...

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..