Out of the Woods

Hey all,

So I'm about to post chapter 7 of 'Out of the Woods', and Anyta recommended I set up a new topic to go with it. I imagine you've all got kinda mixed feelings about Elijah, my protagonist with the rather dubious moral compass... Posted Image So if you want to tell me just how strongly you like/hate him, here's the place. As the guy who created him I've got no perspective here and a very strong image of him/his personality in my head... I'd love to hear what you've all taken from him.

And if there's anything else you wanna rant about, feel free Posted Image

• Like 1

I'll just rant that I love this story and think your characters all have such depth to them that they spark life on every page--(screen scroll? However you call it electronically).

Now back to making my triple-chocolate-self-saucing-pudding. . . . I'll visit the thread on and off, I'm super curious at people's reactions to your work, too.

• Like 1

Triple-chocolate-self-saucing pudding? *WANT* Posted Image

I'm not sure how much to say on a forum, but I'll try to do this without specific-detail-spoilers. Eli is a pretentious little....twat! The fact that you make me feel that way about him should tell you if your writing's good or not Posted Image

Also, I don't think the story's exactly dark either like some of the reviews said...but it is unhappy/frustration-inducing. And personally, I wonder why Eli hasn't done something about how messed up he is. Surely he's intelligent enough to realise he's a complete wacko, right??

Also, I don't think the story's exactly dark either like some of the reviews said...but it is unhappy/frustration-inducing. And personally, I wonder why Eli hasn't done something about how messed up he is.

I rather think this is the whole point of the story-- This is definitely a character driven story--Eli has internal conflicts and this is his journey to address them. Brilliant, I'd say.

Also, self-saucing-chocolate-pudding? It's sooooo delicious, but I want to EXPLODE afterwards (I always forget that part when I go to make it, though). So don't offer me anything to eat right now. I don't care how waffeur-thin . . . :P

Triple-chocolate-self-saucing pudding? *WANT* Posted Image

I'm not sure how much to say on a forum, but I'll try to do this without specific-detail-spoilers. Eli is a pretentious little....twat! The fact that you make me feel that way about him should tell you if your writing's good or not Posted Image

Also, I don't think the story's exactly dark either like some of the reviews said...but it is unhappy/frustration-inducing. And personally, I wonder why Eli hasn't done something about how messed up he is. Surely he's intelligent enough to realise he's a complete wacko, right??

You think Elijah's a twat huh? Posted Image You're probably right... But he's very pretty.

The way I think of it is that he's also lacking in perspective. He's obviously got a lot of issues but he's nowhere near as crazy as certain people within his immediate environment--don't wanna give anything away here!--and so when he compares himself to them he seems perfectly functional. Besides... He's not that bad, right? He must have a couple of redeeming features you can think of Posted Image

And, as Anyta so brilliantly said (love you Anyta Posted Image), if Elijah knew all these things to begin with there wouldn't be much of a journey. And it's ALL about the journey... Right?

• Like 1

I LOVE Elijah. He's GLORIOUSLY screwed up. He's a total little bitch and a spoiled brat (in a way) but he's FAAAABULOUS.

I am getting right into this story. One of the best things about it is that Elijah's such a twat you can't wait for his world to come crashing down on him BUT he's such a sweet twat you really really want everything to be alright in the end for him.

I don't see how Elijah being very pretty is an excuse for him being a twat ;p

Not that I think he is. Elijah is a very interesting character....lolo jk. I just said that cause I know you hate it Posted Image I have mixed feelings about Elijah but I don't hate him. He's flawed and he makes mistakes just like everybody else. And oddly enough I find that I can identify with some of the things he does/thinks. With his crazy family it's no wonder he has issues Posted Image But he definetely has a couple of redeeming features and that's what makes him such a great protagonist. I really like him and Tom together. I like that we see a different side of him with Tom. Gah...my emotions are all over the place right now. I feel bad for Eli. Your characterization of him is amazing though Posted Image

And your writing is absolutely beautiful! Is this your first story?

Anyway, really liking this so far and can't wait to read what happens next! Posted Image

Wow...it just took me like an hour to write this.

Edited by Anya

I LOVE Elijah. He's GLORIOUSLY screwed up. He's a total little bitch and a spoiled brat (in a way) but he's FAAAABULOUS.

I am getting right into this story. One of the best things about it is that Elijah's such a twat you can't wait for his world to come crashing down on him BUT he's such a sweet twat you really really want everything to be alright in the end for him.

Hey I'm glad you're enjoying the story! All I'm gonna say is... Nah that's it, I ain't givin nothin' away Posted Image

I don't see how Elijah being very pretty is an excuse for him being a twat ;p

Not that I think he is. Elijah is a very interesting character....lolo jk. I just said that cause I know you hate it Posted Image I have mixed feelings about Elijah but I don't hate him. He's flawed and he makes mistakes just like everybody else. And oddly enough I find that I can identify with some of the things he does/thinks. With his crazy family it's no wonder he has issues Posted Image But he definetely has a couple of redeeming features and that's what makes him such a great protagonist. I really like him and Tom together. I like that we see a different side of him with Tom. Gah...my emotions are all over the place right now. I feel bad for Eli. Your characterization of him is amazing though Posted Image

Thanks Anya Posted Image

So you're in the pro-Elijah camp huh? Join the club Posted Image Yeah I have to agree with you, I was actually wondering what it is about Elijah that y'all would consider 'redeeming' so far, and I reckon it's probably his relationship with Tom. Other than that I could maaaybe concede he does have some twattish tendencies Posted Image For now anyway.

And that line I said about him being very pretty... That was a joke.

Oooh okay, so I want to conduct a survey! I've put a fair bit of detail into describing the physical appearance of most of the characters you've met so far... Except Tom. The only thing I've really told you about Tom is that he's got purrty green eyes. So--What colour is his hair? Because when I started this story I imagined him very strongly one way but recently my idea of him has started to change, so now I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

Yeah I guess I am :)

Hmm I never thought about Tom's hair color to be honest but I guess I could imagine him being blonde. It kinda fits his personality, I don't know. What did you imagine him to look like?

Hehe remember when you desribed Eli with chapped lips and bags under his eyes? I can't picture him without that anymore!!

Didn't you describe Tom as a strapping all American kinda guy..? Or was that some other character? Well I thought it was Tom so I ended up imagining him like a medium to large-ish muscular guy, around Eli's height, with green eyes and light brown hair. But pale skin...because its set in England.

And yeah, I know Eli's issues are the driving point of the story. I'm not anti-Eli or anything, but his issues annoy me! As for his redeeming qualities - I have to agree its his relationship with Tom. Actually....I think I'm in the Tom+Eli camp! There can be a Tom+Eli camp right?

And you didn't answer Anya's question! Is this your first story? I wanna know the answer too now!

Hehe remember when you desribed Eli with chapped lips and bags under his eyes? I can't picture him without that anymore!!

Didn't you describe Tom as a strapping all American kinda guy..? Or was that some other character? Well I thought it was Tom so I ended up imagining him like a medium to large-ish muscular guy, around Eli's height, with green eyes and light brown hair. But pale skin...because its set in England.

And yeah, I know Eli's issues are the driving point of the story. I'm not anti-Eli or anything, but his issues annoy me! As for his redeeming qualities - I have to agree its his relationship with Tom. Actually....I think I'm in the Tom+Eli camp! There can be a Tom+Eli camp right?

And you didn't answer Anya's question! Is this your first story? I wanna know the answer too now!

Hehe well this is my first story here... I've written stuff before but mostly just short stories when I get bored. I tend to get bored easily. But this one I'm sticking with Posted Image I've done about 70,000 words so far, and I imagine it'll be slightly over 100,000 when it's finished? Then it's back to studying. Which I should really be doing now...

Hell yeah there's a Tom+Eli camp! It's the best camp to be in! I'm the king of that camp. Or maybe... To be honest I kinda like all the characters. Lame, I know. I'm in the Eli+Sophie camp too, even though I can't imagine it'd be much of a spoiler if I told you that one's doomed Posted Image And I really like Chris--Anya doesn't like Chris but I think Chris is hawt. Even if he's ginger.

Hmm I never thought about Tom's hair color to be honest but I guess I could imagine him being blonde. It kinda fits his personality, I don't know. What did you imagine him to look like?

Well to begin with he had dark hair... But as the story's gone on for some reason I've been imagining him with lighter and lighter hair, and now it's almost blond. Sometimes I think it might even be curly--but then I realise I'm definitely wrong. Wonder what it means?

• Like 1

Maybe chris is hot. But that doesn't mean I have to like him. I mean if I were that shallow, I wouldn't be socializing with you :P

See? Blonde it is. Or at least a very light brown ;p And thank you Traveller_23 Posted Image Jasper always elegantly avoids my questions. Except that it's not so elegant, really Posted Image

Edited by Anya
  • Like 1

Hey all, so chapter 8 is up today, woo! We're gonna see a little bit more of what makes Chris tick... And of course there's a bucket full of crazy from Elijah Posted Image This chapter was a bitch to write... Let me know what you think?

And Anya... I avoid your questions cuz you're always mean to me and I just don't know why... But sometimes it makes me sad :(

Edited by Jasper
  • Like 1

Hey all, so chapter 8 is up today, woo! We're gonna see a little bit more of what makes Chris tick... And of course there's a bucket full of crazy from Elijah Posted Image This chapter was a bitch to write... Let me know what you think?

And Anya... I avoid your questions cuz you're always mean to me and I just don't know why... But sometimes it makes me sad Posted Image

That's cause your my favorite. And if I wouldn't insult you, you wouldn't feel half as special as you do now Posted Image

Edited by Anya
  • Like 1

Hey all, so I've just put up chapter 9 RIGHT THIS MINUTE... Let me know whatcha reckon!

Also, thought I'd mention now that essay season is coming up for me at uni, so I imagine my chapter-posting skills are gonna dramatically degenerate over the next few weeks... I'll still be around and posting, but you can expect new chapters weekly rather than every-other-day-ly. Or maybe once-every-two-weeks-ly.

That doesn't make any sense does it :P

• Like 1

Woah....so much mental violence against Sophie! I'm actually thinking over the whole story now, this chapter and the rest. I just realised how little dialogue there is, and how much is just Elijah's thoughts. But it works perfectly! I think this is the kind of story that's better served when read all at once though, rather than chapter by chapter.

The interaction between Chris and Eli's making more sense to me now, since there's some actual communication now!! Say words people!! You wouldn't believe how much saying words helps! However, I'm still looking forward to how you kill off Chris and make Eli and Tom end up together. Because that's totally what's gonna happen Posted Image

PS No one's mentioned Eli's maze yet! So I thought I would.

Woah....so much mental violence against Sophie! I'm actually thinking over the whole story now, this chapter and the rest. I just realised how little dialogue there is, and how much is just Elijah's thoughts. But it works perfectly! I think this is the kind of story that's better served when read all at once though, rather than chapter by chapter.

The interaction between Chris and Eli's making more sense to me now, since there's some actual communication now!! Say words people!! You wouldn't believe how much saying words helps! However, I'm still looking forward to how you kill off Chris and make Eli and Tom end up together. Because that's totally what's gonna happen Posted Image

PS No one's mentioned Eli's maze yet! So I thought I would.

Elijah's a thinking kinda guy. Which is probably a good thing when you think about it because when he talks most of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is shit and lies Posted Image You're still rooting for Eli and Tom eh? It's always good to dream!

(BTW that was in no way a spoiler of what is/is not to come. I'm not saying anything)

Oooh but it was particularly fun writing the mental-violence bits! Too much fun... I'm thinking Elijah's well on his way to being a full-fledged homicidal maniac. Any thoughts? :) But yeah, Elijah's actually a pretty violent person. Just wait a couple of chapters when he buys a gun... Ya hear that Anya? Better watch out Posted Image

This story sucks, just like it's author. Posted Image

*flashes breasticles and runs from the room*

Anya, you can your breaticles can just leave.

(And take a wild guess who I had in mind, Anya, when I was writing all the mental violence... One wrong move and Kermit gets it, ya hear? Watch your back.)

• Like 1

Me and my breasticles had already left Posted Image

(And whatever, bring it on. Kermit can take it. He's actually looking forward to it.)

*Reaches through the computer screen, grabs one of Anya's breasticles, and slaps Anya in the face with it*

I can see this degenerating.

I quite enjoyed that Jas. Are you happy you finally got to touch my boobs? :)

And you're right...I shouldn't post here or people won't take you or your shitty story seriously. OH WAIT... :)

Correction: This story doesn't suck....only the author does. :)

And the new chapter was amazing. My favorite, really.

*flashes breasticles again and runs from the room*