Are you ready to trade .... recipes?

Roasted Vegetable Stew

Prepare assorted vegetables (I usually use 2-3 cups each of zucchini, Japanese eggplants, sweet bell peppers & onions) -- wash, trim, peel & cut into more or less 3/4" chunks. 

Toss vegetables in a roasting pan with extra virgin olive oil (3/4 cup +/-) and cook in the oven until everything starts getting tender.  (Amount of time depends on temperature....temperature is up to you...depends on what else you're cooking in the oven ... plan for at least an hour) Stir occasionally.

Stir in diced tomatoes with juice (2-4 cans), teaspoon or so of minced garlic, preferred seasoning (salt & pepper for sure...basil, thyme & oregano makes it kind of Mediterranean, roasted cumin, Mexican chili powder & some hot sauce makes it kind of Tex-Mex). 

Return to oven and roast, stirring occasionally, until much of the liquid in the pan has evaporated.  A little char on top is a good thing.  Adjust seasonings.  Serve hot, room temperature or chilled.

Sweet Potato Hash

(same cooking method as the vegetable stew, but very different taste profile --  good alternative to the sugary stuff with burned marshmellows that shows up at Thanksgiving & Christmas)

4 cups sweet potatoes cut in ~3/4" cubes

2 yellow onions cut in 8ths

2 red bell peppers, cut in ~3/4" pieces

Toss vegetables in roasting pan with extra virgin olive oil.  Put in oven and roast until sweet potatoes start to get tender.

Season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chipotle powder and a splash of dark Maple syrup.  Return to oven until potatoes are tender.

• 2 months later...

This is a tad late for Thanksgiving, but perhaps someone would like to try these for Christmas.

I have no clue where I got the original recipe I started with, but like most  of the contents of my cookbook, I have tinkered with it till I was happy with the results.  

Spiced Cranberries

1 qt           cranberries, washed and stems removed

1/2 cup     water

2            Cinnemon sticks

12            whole cloves

12            whole allspice

1/8 tsp     ground mace

1 cup       dark brown sugar

Place berries and water in a 2 qt or larger sauce pan. ( Non stick is nice, makes cleanup easier)

Tie whole spices into a cheesecloth sachet ( I cheat and use a huge tea ball) and place into pot with the berries.

Simmer until the berries pop and are soft.

Remove the spice package and allow to cool enough to handle.

Process the warm fruit in a food processor or food mill.  This is to your personal preference level, I leave the berries very chunky, a friend prefers them processed to a smooth, applesauce like consistency.

Return fruit to the pot and heat thru, stirring in up to a cup of the brown sugar, or to personal tastes.

Good served warm or chilled, and can be made several days in advance if desired.

Edited by Kitt

Manicotti with Sausage & Spinach filling

The filling

1/2 pound of Italian sausage (bulk, for linked sausage, remove "case")

3/4 cup Ricotta cheese

1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese

1/2 cup cooked spinich

1 egg

1) Brown sausage. Make sausage into very small bits.

2) Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

3) Put in a "zip-lock" baggie

Filling is ready. Put aside until needed.

Preparation

1) Bring water to a rolling boil in large pot

2) Add salt to water

3) Boil manicotti shells for 6 minutes- no longer!

4) Remove Manicotti shells, cool with cold water (shocks the pasta)

5) Take bag of filling. Cut hole in bottom of bag and use to squeeze filling into pasta.

6) Line cooking pan with aluminum foil.

7) Place stuffed manicotti on pan

8) Cover manicotti with ~18-24 oz of marinara sauce*

8.5) optional: add sliced Portabella mushrooms

9) Top with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese

10) Cover manicotti with a foil "tent"

11) Cook at 350 degrees F or 177 degrees C  for 30 minutes

Serve with a sweet white wine and a spinach salad with a vinaigrette dressing.

Serves 4 to 6.

• 1 month later...

I need a recipe for a good, vegetatrian roast with nuts.  I've reviewed a few of these and made one this weekend that was only so-so.  I could play around with adjusting the recipe, but if someone has a nut roast they think is a winner, send it my way.  I'm planning the menu for a party in February and I need to get this sorted before then.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Percy
  • 2 weeks later...

Frogmore Stew (credit given to Southern Living Magazine, April 2005 for the original recipe).

Note the recipe does not contain frog. It is named after a small town in South Carolina. We like the reaction to the name.

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning
  • 4 pounds small red potatoes
  • 6 ears fresh corn, halved
  • 4 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
  • 2 pounds kielbasa or hot smoked link sausage, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces

optional:

• 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 pounds pearl onions, peeled

Directions

In large stock pot, put Old Bay seasoning in 5 quarts water and bring to boil.

Add potatoes, onions and chicken, return to boil. Cook for 10 minutes.

Add sausage and corn, return to boil. Cook for 10 minutes.

Add shrimp. Cook 3 to 4 minutes until shrimp is done (pink).

Drain, and serve with cocktail sauce and Old Bay.

Serves 12

You can substitute any white fish that holds together well for the shrimp, and adjust cooking time. When we make this we use a mix of sausage and seafood. I've also been known to throw in whatever fresh vegetables are at the farm stand, like green beans, carrots, etc.

Edited by ntm1967
I can share a recipe for a traditional Polish cake. It's called Carpathian cake because it's growing in oven like mountains during prehistoric eras I suppose :P. The recipe is mine, however copy and paste from the blog I created more than one year ago but ended up only with one below :*):

Ingredients for dough:
- 1 glass water
- 1/2 bar of margarine
- 1 glass wheat flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder

Ingredients for cream:
- 1 glass milk (separatly 1/3 and 2/3)
- 1/2 glass sugar
- 1 tablespoon wheat flour
- 1 yolk
- 1 tablespoon pudding powder
- 1/2 bar of butter

In the medium saucepan, melt butter in water over medium heat.

Picture+1.jpg

Add flour and intensively stir with the wooden spoon until you get a dough (as in the picture, in this moment it doesn't have to be smooth). Let the dough cool down.

Picture+2.jpg

Picture+3.jpg

In the meantime prepare cream. Melt sugar in the milk (2/3).
To the rest of milk (1/3 cup) add yolk, flour and pudding powder. Mix all togheter and then pour to sugar and milk. Stir thoroughly until you get consistency of cream. Let it boiled and then cool down.

Picture+5.jpg
Picture+4.jpg

Now we come back to our dough. Add 5 eggs and baking powder. Knead until you get the smooth consistency.

Image+6.jpg

Image+8.jpg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (about 200 degress C). Divide the dough into two equal parts. Put the baking paper on rectangular cake pan (never use butter or margarine!!!). Then put one part of dough and spread evenly. Bake for about 15-20 minuts.

Look like it's growing...

Picture+9.jpg
...and in the meantime finish preapering cream. Grind butter and then bit by bit add cream still grinding until smooth.

Picture+15.jpg
When the first part of cake is prepared (a little brown, as in the picture), bake the second part.

Put the cream and then second part of the cake on this. It's ready to eat!

Image+14.jpg
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Buttermilk Fried chicken

Soak chicken in butter milk + salt for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle with lemon pepper

Sprinkle with flour

Fry until golden brown.

PS- don't "burn" your oil! Try to keep the heat down between 70%-85% of max.

(I suggest Canola or Peanut oil- unless you are allergic of course)

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1

I am obsessed with Corn Bread but mine comes out bland. Anyone have any great recipes? I love flavour!

CORN BREAD                                                 

1 cup flour (self-rising)

1 cup corn meal (plain)

3 teaspoons baking soda

3 tablespoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup butter; melted

Mix together four, corn meal, baking soda, sugar and salt.

Stir in remaining ingredients until just moistened.

Pour in a greased 8x8 inch pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Yield:  8 servings   

NOTES:  If you don't have self-rising flour, use 1 cup all purpose flour and add 1/2 tsp salt and 1.5 tsp baking powder.  Recipe works fine with powdered buttermilk...follow the instructions on the milk package for adding water & milk powder.  Sugar is optional.  Sharp cheese, sauteed chopped onions, salsa, bacon and / or pork cracklin's can be added for extra flavor.

• Like 1

CORN BREAD                                                 

1 cup flour (self-rising)

1 cup corn meal (plain)

3 teaspoons baking soda

3 tablespoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup butter; melted

Mix together four, corn meal, baking soda, sugar and salt.

Stir in remaining ingredients until just moistened.

Pour in a greased 8x8 inch pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Yield:  8 servings   

NOTES:  If you don't have self-rising flour, use 1 cup all purpose flour and add 1/2 tsp salt and 1.5 tsp baking powder.  Recipe works fine with powdered buttermilk...follow the instructions on the milk package for adding water & milk powder.  Sugar is optional.  Sharp cheese, sauteed chopped onions, salsa, bacon and / or pork cracklin's can be added for extra flavor.

For corn bread:

Use black cast iron frying pan.

Pre-heat pan and grease.

Pour the batter into per-heated pan for x-tra krispy crust.

Awesome! Thank you! I will give these a try this weekend!

How about Parmesan Crusted chicken?    Sorry I don't have accurate measurements to give you - I cook to taste

Mix about 1/4 mayo, about 1/4 c Parmesan cheese of your choice, garlic powder, salt and black pepper together. Add enough bread crumbs to make it thick and easy to spread.

Spread onto chicken breasts or cutlets that have been patted dry. ( It sticks better)

Place on baking sheet and into a  350*F(177*C) oven for approximately 20 minutes. The surface should be a pretty golden brown and the chicken firm but still moist.

Cooking time will vary based on how thick the pieces are.

These amounts will crust three breasts sliced into 6 thinner pieces or pounded out to the desired thickness.

Edited by Kitt

I am obsessed with Corn Bread but mine comes out bland. Anyone have any great recipes? I love flavour!

My grandmother in law always added a can of drained corn kernels to hers. I've tried it with frozen corn too, but make sure you thaw it first.

• Like 1

Hubby calls it "Cheaters Scampi"

We have several of those  type of recipes, here's what hubby calls "Poor Man's Stroganoff"

1 package egg noodles

1 small package frozen peas

1-2 pounds ground beef, chicken or turkey

1-2 T cooking oil (optional)

4 ounces sour cream

1 can cream of mushroom soup (not the family size)

2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce - or more to taste

Cook noodles according to instructions on the package

while the noodles are cooking, open the frozen peas and put in the strainer/colander

brown the ground meat. If using ground chicken or turkey you will need the oil to prevent burning. Drain off grease.

When noodles are cooked pour over frozen peas in the strainer/colander. Drain completely and return to pan.

Add browned meant, mushroom soup,  Worcestershire Sauce and sour cream. Mix well

We have several of those  type of recipes, here's what hubby calls "Poor Man's Stroganoff"

1 package egg noodles

1 small package frozen peas

1-2 pounds ground beef, chicken or turkey

1-2 T cooking oil (optional)

4 ounces sour cream

1 can cream of mushroom soup (not the family size)

2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce - or more to taste

Cook noodles according to instructions on the package

while the noodles are cooking, open the frozen peas and put in the strainer/colander

brown the ground meat. If using ground chicken or turkey you will need the oil to prevent burning. Drain off grease.

When noodles are cooked pour over frozen peas in the strainer/colander. Drain completely and return to pan.

Add browned meant, mushroom soup,  Worcestershire Sauce and sour cream. Mix well

Very similar to mom's version - we sauteed onions and left out the peas though ( other wise dad and bro ended up picking em out and piling em on the edge of the plate)

Mom also would add the gravy darkener type stuff ( there are lots of brands) that are basically caramelized veggie juice. Adds a nice flavor and it doesn't look pale on the dish.