Copyright Infringment: Keeping it Legal!

can I guess quoting the title of the song would not be charge anything vs the lyrics?

its a pity that we can't call quoting lyrics ... a cover like on youtube ...

gosh I wonder if youtube and itune covers are considered illegal or legal?

another twisted question ... what if your lyric quoting was a parody of the original song ...

I heard making a parody are a way to get around original stories ...

Can a song can be subject to this same criteria?

Edited by hh5

I'm reading a free e-book and the author names a lot of Brands and the like. She even named Edward's character from Twilight in explaining how the other main character is acting...

I mean.. pretty everything she explains has a brand name in it. Cars, Twilight, SUVs, Shoes, Clothes, Malls... I doubt she asked for permission...

Great advice though and something to consider when writing, definitely. It is definitely easier to never write it in the first place.. than having to rewrite around it completely.

I'm reading a free e-book and the author names a lot of Brands and the like. She even named Edward's character from Twilight in explaining how the other main character is acting...

I mean.. pretty everything she explains has a brand name in it. Cars, Twilight, SUVs, Shoes, Clothes, Malls... I doubt she asked for permission...

Great advice though and something to consider when writing, definitely. It is definitely easier to never write it in the first place.. than having to rewrite around it completely.

It is great advice, and since prosecution is sporadic, people sometimes feel it's okay to take the risk. A NY Times Bestseller is far more likely to face a copyright challenge than a free ebook by an "unknown" author. As long as the author is aware of the consequences, I suppose the choice is theirs.

But naming specific brands in your story is fine. Food (Coke), products like cars (BMW) and household items (Kleenex), names of businesses or corporations (Bank of America, for example), are all perfectly legal. Here's a link providing a very basic list of what's protected and what isn't: http://www.legallanguage.com/resources/copyright/what-works-protected/

Thanks again for the post, Kingdom.

I have no expertise in this matter, so don't rely on these comments. That said, I think there are exceptions, in court decisions if not the law itself, when writing a review, criticism, or parody of another work. That doesn't mean you won't be sued, just that you have a good argument in defense.

Thanks for the good advice.

Great advice!

I don't normally use song lyrics in stories, though I did in one that's set in the music biz. Copyright issues did concern me, but a further issue was that story was about a band who wrote their own lyrics, so using commercial ones wouldn't fit plot wise. I took the easy way out of both issues and just wrote my own, though this does I suppose put me at risk of being sued by me. :)

I also run into copyright issues with photos. I've used photos in stories, especially my current one, quite a bit. They are pictures of areas, such as Gibraltar, Pompeii, etc. Many are my own work, so no problem (except for the risk I might sue myself), but for the rest I try to use pictures and maps from government sites because government can't copyright. However, I've recently learned that this isn't a sure-fire way out; if the government site is using the pic illegally (not at all uncommon) or has licensed it, I'm still in breech of copyright.

CJ :)

• 3 months later...

I tend to doubt that anybody is going to get sued for quoting a few lines from a song for amateur fiction posted on the net, especially if there's attribution (writers' names, copyright info, and so on). But the moment you use it commercially, as with a paid eBook or published book, then you definitely have to get permission.

I seem to recall a case where no less than Stephen King mentioned in an interview that he had a 1980s book where he attempted to quote from a Beach Boys lyric as a chapter sub-heading, and the publisher quoted him a $100,000+ pricetag. Granted, it's different if you're a guy who's already had a dozen novels that have sold in the millions of copies, vs. an unknown who'd be lucky to sell a few thousand copies. Still, King was annoyed enough that he dropped the song and replaced it with another that cost him a fraction of that price. 

There is also such a thing as fair use, and I'm curious as to where the line is drawn between fair use and a legitimate copyright infringement. I'm definitely a guy who will quote from song lyrics in my novels on occasion -- even used a song title as the title for my first novel, Groovy Kind of Love -- but I've generally gone back and whittled down the lyrical content so it's not too intrusive. 

I think what the music publishers are really concerned about is the plethora of sites out there that reproduce thousands and thousands of song lyrics for free, while raking in all kinds of money on banner ads and ringtones. Clearly, authors who are writing gay fiction for a small audience are not in this category. I think suing any author would be a stretch. 

I'm reading a free e-book and the author names a lot of Brands and the like. She even named Edward's character from Twilight in explaining how the other main character is acting... I mean.. pretty everything she explains has a brand name in it. Cars, Twilight, SUVs, Shoes, Clothes, Malls... I doubt she asked for permission...

There's a catch-all statement you can say in the initial indicia: "Any trademarks or company names used in this story are the property of their owners and are not intended to be an infringement." James Bond can wear a Rolex and drink a rum & Coke without anybody getting sued. It is different with film & TV, where if brand names are visible, you do have to get them cleared in some cases. Generally, car manufacturers don't mind if (say) a "Ford" logo is visible in a chase scene, so stuff like that is not a problem. 

Trademarks and copyrights are different points of law that sometimes overlap. Quoting song lyrics is definitely a dicey area in publishing, but I strongly tend to doubt they're going to chase you if it's for non-commercial use. The moment you try to sell the story as a book (physical media or eBook), then it's going to cost you money to get it cleared.