:unsure2:

A dead English person who's famous for some reason or other?   :P

:rofl:  Yep, I think you are right..l think his name is Bill and he invented this very high top hat for casual friday or something.. :rofl:

Give us clues Zombie !!

Edited by slytherin

:unsure2:

A dead English person who's famous for some reason or other?   :P

Hahahaha, Jeeeeeesh it'd be pretty impressive if he's still alive! :P

Um, not really got a clue. I'm gunna guess he's either an inventor or a writer of something notable in history though! :P Not 100% convinced he's Brit though!

Don't think anyone will guess the identity of this billy harry fox with a talbot hat. ;D 

Strange there is such a thing as a talbot hat.

I agree.

Zombie, we need a really good clue.  Or, you may assume bragging rights for having stumped us.

Please!

Image.google.com confirmed it ghost boy "guessed" it correctly :P

Let's move on and never speak of it again :D

Red_A is correct.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel, (9 April 1806 – 15 September 1859), was an English mechanical and civil engineer who built dockyards, the great Western Railway, a series of steamships including the first propeller-driven transatlantic steamship and numerous important bridges and tunnels. His designs revolutionized public transport and modern engineering during the 19th century.

Who's next?  Red_A?

When I got up at 6 o’clock this morning, I was checking for Goat activity and I came across a Victorian with stove pipe hat and cigar.  Well I nearly fell over, and raced to get in first.  WL you may not know it but in 2011 he was voted second in the BBC Greatest Britions, last year was a well published programme on his life on Prime BBC time.  So he was a well know figure.  That photograph was used in both features.  Being an engineer( electronics and electrical) who had to study history of engineering as a subsidiary. 

So I was lucky, I have to get up at 6.

Here is one.  A young man in his prime.  He learnt his surveying trade in my part of the kingdom measuring fields, but may be better known in the Antipodies.

whoami.jpg

It's Henry Fox Talbot,  a British inventor who was interested in photography.

Sorry for ignoring you guys I was away and off line till now :blushing:

Poor old Henry's been forgotten but he has an important place in history - he invented modern photography [the negative / positive process which enabled limitless copies to be printed from a negative]. The only other photographic method at the time was the daguerreotype which was like the Polaroid - you could only have one print!

Red - did your mystery guy survey for road building?

When I got up at 6 o’clock this morning, I was checking for Goat activity and I came across a Victorian with stove pipe hat and cigar.  Well I nearly fell over, and raced to get in first.  WL you may not know it but in 2011 he was voted second in the BBC Greatest Britions, last year was a well published programme on his life on Prime BBC time.  So he was a well know figure.  That photograph was used in both features.  Being an engineer( electronics and electrical) who had to study history of engineering as a subsidiary. 

So I was lucky, I have to get up at 6.

Here is one.  A young man in his prime.  He learnt his surveying trade in my part of the kingdom measuring fields, but may be better known in the Antipodies.

whoami.jpg

Could this be John Septimus Roe?

@ Zombie

He went on to survey for the railways but not roads. However neither is what he is famous for.

@ MikeL

No not quite that far

John_Septimus_Roe_1824.jpg

Joe septmus Roe as a young man

@ Zombie

He went on to survey for the railways but not roads. However neither is what he is famous for.

@ MikeL

No not quite that far

John_Septimus_Roe_1824.jpg

Joe septmus Roe as a young man

Is that a "no", Red_A?

@MikeL

Yes it is a No My Photograph is not of Joe septmus Roe, and my comment was a clue to the fact that my hero did not  get as far as western Australia where Roe did most of his work.

Edited by Red_A

OK, well, seems to be someone who was fashion challenged, and had visual deficiencies as well.  I would guess he wasn't very fond of having his picture taken, judging by the look on his face, and the fact that he's looking through the corner of his glasses.   His clothes look a little dusty, so I'm thinking he was poor, and possibly lived under a bridge, or maybe in a stairwell under a storefront.   His hairstyle is a little unusual, which might be a clue.

I think this might be Albert Femur Walters, great uncle of T-bone Slim,  one of the most talented hobo's the world has ever known.

Of course, I could be wrong.....

Although I do not known when the photo was taken, my guess was it was a period in his life when money was tight, ie good clothes but old. Also He would have had to sit still for hours for the camera exposure.

He looks shifty.

Edmund Kennedy?

NO

my local hero lived into his eighies/nineties, and ended like all good victorians with a flowing beard

For MikeL a clue

This flying frog is quite photogenic, due to its large size, brilliant colors, and interesting behavior.

Hey, that's not much of a clue.  And the link is superfluous.  I know the meaning of "photogenic".

Or, could the fashion challenged, visually deficient, long lived Antipodean have once studied flying frogs?

Edited by MikeL

Hey, that's not much of a clue.  And the link is superfluous.  I know the meaning of "photogenic".

Or, could the fashion challenged, visually deficient, long lived Antipodean have once studied flying frogs?

As the goat would say all the clues are there from the avatar downwards.

My local hero, did not study frogs any more than other fauna and flora, eg monkeys, flies, buterflies, flowers, etc, etc.

One of his claim to fame is he surveyed an important line, and the first that brought him to my attention. I do not believe he got to australia(not quite), but he certainly went to some remote places.

I think we can rule out Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon.  They lived before the age of photography and Pennsylvania/Maryland can hardly be considered the Antipodies.

As you can see, I am in need of another clue.