Bill W -The Castaway Hotel Series

A couple of people have been trying to encourage me to write another book in The Castaway Hotel series.  I'm just not sure there's enough interest, since it's such a long series already.  I'd love some input into this matter and would like to know if you feel I should think about another book or just leave the series at the point it is now, with The Next Generation wrapping it up. 

All comments will be appreciated and responded to.  Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

We don't need another book in The Castaway Hotel series Bill.

We need another ten :)  Now get writing :lol:

In all seriousness though I would like to see more of Elliot and Noah, and find out what happens next with Ian.

You wrapped the series up really well, but you left us with a few loose ends.

• Like 1

Hey, Andy.  Thanks for responding.  No matter where I leave it, I'm afraid there might always be a few loose ends, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in another book.  I posted this 20 days ago, and you're the first one to respond.  Maybe I'm just beating a dead horse. 

No matter where I leave it, I'm afraid there might always be a few loose ends,

Then never leave it.  Write it forever and ever and ever and ever :lol:

Sadly though, I think you may be right about the lack of interest in another book :(   Tis a shame.

Keep writing Bill :)

• 4 months later...
Guest Big Bear Paul

I am sorry, but this is the first time that I have responded to any of the stories on Gay Authors and I am saddened that more people have not responded.  There are a lot of potential storylines and plots that keep running through my mind. I am a gay man who happens to be a father too and I found every story of the series quite compelling.  For instance: I was always wondering why Ricky and Pat couldn't seem to find companions? I was hoping tha the Kylie and Ricky thing would eventually work out becaus I have had several friends who have either moved to other parts of the world or who have had eventual spouses move to the States with them. Pat also started out in life in a way that made him quite a loner, and, due to his parial blindness and scaring, I hope that the message that one can be successful in a continuing long-term relationship would eventuallly appear.  I think more interest would be generated though if you switched narators. Since the New Generation has begun, it would be better, at least in my opinion, if someone else, such as Danny or Trey started writing about the experiences and events about the family. Since Trey wants to be an author, it might make sense that he would write about the further adventures of the family and put a different twist on the family and its antics.  Many time, I found Josh to be too anal in his approach to things and I would have considered some of his musing kind of neurotic.  I just love this series too much and there so much furtile ground to work with and by calling it an different name, such as "Danny's Diary" or "Trey's Treasures" would leave you the freedom to cover a lot of different ground.  I want to see how Danny, for instance, sees Josh and his aging as he takes on so much in his life.  Will Josh and Jake be able to finally go off and take long extended vacations and do things on their own?  Will Dion become a great success and will he and Trey have to deal with the possibilities that they will be spending a lot of time away from home, family and each other due to great career  success?  You mentioned Ricky having a co-worker who got drunk with him after he blew that deal before Thanksgiving, thus eliminating his bonus.  Is there any more to that relationship?  What happened to the Yamadas? There's just so much there and you do not have to follow the same set up.  Yes, the stories will need to start off with explanations that will cause some readers to go back and read the series, however, these characters are very rich and in depth.  I have been thinking abou a lot of these things and more because I tend to love series like yours, Mark Aurbour's Chronicles of an Academic Predator and The Society Boys on NIfty.  I have also read some of your other stories and I thoroughly love them! I live off of permanent disability due to AIDS and reading stories, such as yours, keeps me from being lonely and depressed. I can't afford to go to movies but this is a perfect forum because I love reading. I know that this is lengthy and I would love to write some more, but I believe you are so busy.  Thank you for you writing and I look forward to you future stories!

Paul, thank you for your response and it gives me a lot to think about.  I'm glad you've enjoyed this series and my other stories and they've helped you in some way, if only as a momentary break from reality.  There are a lot of very talented authors on GA, so I'm sure you'll find more stories to enjoy, but I'm considering 'retiring' from writing.  I may someday get bored enough to do it again and have enjoyed most of the comments I've received, but I think many now consider my style outdated, stiff and irrelevant.  Therefore, I'll let the younger authors carry the torch from this point forward.  Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts though.

• 3 months later...

I really hope you add more to the castaway hotel series... there are so many questions left unaswered.. The addition of the new kids was good, but what happens to them? I would really like it continued with the origal kis.... what becomes of Ricky? Jessie?  

• Like 1

Tim, thank you for your comment and support.  I have received several requests to continue this series and hope to do that in the future.  Presently, however, I am working on something else, so I want to finish it first.  

I understand your desire to find out about Jesse and the characters added in the Next Generation, but I thought I'd given a pretty good description about how Ricky had made out and what he was currently doing.  There may be more about him if I continue, but the emphasis will be primarily on the Next Generation of characters.  

Thanks again for your questions and support.  

• 5 months later...

I've read the complete castaway stories also the first writen story. I hope there will be more in the next future for me to read. The characters are very well described and i love them all. How BigBearPaul has written, there are many lines to make the Castaway Hotel worth to write more books of them. Sorry for my bad english, but i'm from overseas an not a native speaker.

Stix, thank you for the feedback and I'm definitely considering everyone's suggestions.  I'm am currently in the middle of a couple of other projects, but I hope eventually to find time to get back to this series.  I have noted everyone's suggestions and have started an outline for another 'book'.  As soon as I finish my current projects, I hope to get back to it.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Site Moderator

Tim, thank you for your comment and support.  I have received several requests to continue this series and hope to do that in the future.  Presently, however, I am working on something else, so I want to finish it first.  

I understand your desire to find out about Jesse and the characters added in the Next Generation, but I thought I'd given a pretty good description about how Ricky had made out and what he was currently doing.  There may be more about him if I continue, but the emphasis will be primarily on the Next Generation of characters.  

Thanks again for your questions and support.  

Hi Bill 

I just started reading Book 1 of The Castaway Hotel (3 chapters so far) and I'm finding it to be a great read. The scenario, the characterizations and the dialogue are delightful. Now I'm off to start chapter ... :)

Edit: chapter 4 and 5 are complete. On to chapter 6...

Edited by Reader1810

Hi Bill 

I just started reading Book 1 of The Castaway Hotel (3 chapters so far) and I'm finding it to be a great read. The scenario, the characterizations and the dialogue are delightful. Now I'm off to start chapter 4... :)

I hope you have a good time with it,  because you've got a lot of reading ahead of you! 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

today, i have looked in the story secton of bill w's books, it is almost over 4 years that the last part of the next generation was published. I hope that i can read in the year 2016 a new story of the curries. I can't wait anymore and have read the books again. Bill W, please release us and write a new book ...

:worship:  :worship:  :worship:  :worship:  :worship:

Young Joshi will be a teenager soon ... and the other boys will be out of highschool... there are many things that can be possible...

Edited by Stix
  • Like 1

Hey Bill!

Being somewhat new (less than 2 years) around here I had never had the enjoyment of reading your series. I only found it while noticing what some of the readers of my little story were reading.

I'm now beginning my journey through Currieland and it is a most remarkable journey! It'll be a while before I start whining like some of the above have  ;) , so if you start writing now, you'll avoid it.

Take my word for it, a whining dragon is not something you need around! :no:  

Sorry, I've gotten sidetracked and involved in other things.  I'll try to free up enough time to work on it again.  I'm glad people are still interested in the Currie clan.  

I think, the other projects are equal to the Currie clan, Don't make a race to write a new story for us, we like the good old fashion, how you write. You have the time of your live to write a new chapter, and we can enjoy it together.

• 3 months later...

Just finished my like 20th reread of the Castaway Series, somehow always finally a new character and latch on to and enjoy their progress. A bit like Big Bear Paul, I.  would love to see you continue the Currie story through one of the new children's eyes. Maybe while Danny and Brandon continue the original castaway hotel. Someone like Vinnie and Kevin could begin their own Castaway Hotel; allowing for the story to continue and the Currie influence to grow. Maybe even the Aussie Peter creates his own could be another idea.

I don't want to rush or push or anything, but yeah I just wanted to add in my own five cents about wanting a new series in this epic tale. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, Grydan.  You have some interesting suggestions that I'll consider.

I apologize about not getting back to this series, but I've been sidetracked with other issues.  I'll try to get back to it as soon as I can. 

• 2 months later...

Just an update:  I've been working on the new Castaway book and have chapters ready to send to the editor.  Don't despair, it I'll be posting by the fall.   

• Like 2