Why in the hell did I click on this.  If James or Zombie post it, I know it's gonna be bad :(  Now, I'll be shaking sheets and everything else before I can go to sleep :facepalm:

:hug:  I agree, why do we visit this thread ??? :P

• Like 2

News report from last weekend

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Welcome!

And welcome to this year's winner!

The winner of Best In Show 2014....

...of the 29th Annual Spider Show!!!

*screams as people flee the building*

british-tarantula-society_80057_990x742.

Held on May 18 in Coventry, in England's West Midlands, and attended by more than 30,000 tarantulas and their enthusiastic keepers.

As ever, the judges were looking for perfection: a glistening coat, an alert, active demeanor, correct proportions, coloring, and conformity to type.

Stance is important too. The legs—all eight of them—should be upright and perfectly poised"

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/05/140521-tarantula-coventry-british-tarantula-society-theraphosidae-science-world/

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2

Why in the hell did I click on this.  If James or Zombie post it, I know it's gonna be bad :(  Now, I'll be shaking sheets and everything else before I can go to sleep :facepalm:

Don't worry, spiders just like to move around a lot, and they are very quiet so they aren't going to wake you up.  Leave them a bowl of flies and you've got some new friends!

• Like 3

Urgent News Update!

"Is your car infested with spiders?"

"Mazda has a spider problem, and now it's issuing a voluntary recall to implement a "bug fix" in every sense of the word. A certain species, known as the yellow sac spider, is spinning webs in the vent lines of Mazda 6 sedans."
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/6/5587116/mazda-6-software-update-addresses-spider-problem

I don't want to alarm anyone but Mazda has had previous spider infestation problems. At least Mazda is being honest and open with the recall. But that Mazda hire car you're about to drive away from the airport? How do you know it's had the spiders removed? And what about other manufacturers with similar problems but they've hushed them up? Cars are very attractive spider homes. Nice and dry. Lots of nooks and crannies to hide and build nests in.

Here are two scenarios to think about.

You're driving your car at cruising speed, head nodding to the beat of some good tunes, when:

1. You notice spiders crawling out of the windscreen vents, or
2. You open the air vents and spiders come flying into your face

What would you do?

a. check mirrors, indicate and pull into the side of the road when safe to do so; or
b. calmly swat away the spiders with one hand while maintaining full control of the vehicle; or
c. scream, swerve and crash?

Of course there are many other possible scenarios in a car infested with spiders so you need to consider how you would deal with those as well.

Happy motoring :)

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2

Urgent News Update!

"Is your car infested with spiders?"

"Mazda has a spider problem, and now it's issuing a voluntary recall to implement a "bug fix" in every sense of the word. A certain species, known as the yellow sac spider, is spinning webs in the vent lines of Mazda 6 sedans."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/6/5587116/mazda-6-software-update-addresses-spider-problem

I don't want to alarm anyone but Mazda has had previous spider infestation problems. At least Mazda is being honest and open with the recall. But that Mazda hire car you're about to drive away from the airport? How do you know it's had the spiders removed? And what about other manufacturers with similar problems but they've hushed them up? Cars are very attractive spider homes. Nice and dry. Lots of nooks and crannies to hide and build nests in.

Here are two scenarios to think about.

You're driving your car at cruising speed, head nodding to the beat of some good tunes, when:

1. You notice spiders crawling out of the windscreen vents, or

2. You open the air vents and spiders come flying into your face

What would you do?

a. check mirrors, indicate and pull into the side of the road when safe to do so; or

b. calmly swat away the spiders with one hand while maintaining full control of the vehicle; or

c. scream, swerve and crash?

Of course there are many other possible scenarios in a car infested with spiders so you need to consider how you would deal with those as well.

Happy motoring :)

You are plain mean.  You just want to give me a heart attack so you can feast on my brain.  :P

• Like 3

News report from last weekend

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Welcome!

And welcome to this year's winner!

The winner of Best In Show 2014....

...of the 29th Annual Spider Show!!!

*screams as people flee the building*

british-tarantula-society_80057_990x742.

Held on May 18 in Coventry, in England's West Midlands, and attended by more than 30,000 tarantulas and their enthusiastic keepers.

As ever, the judges were looking for perfection: a glistening coat, an alert, active demeanor, correct proportions, coloring, and conformity to type.

Stance is important too. The legs—all eight of them—should be upright and perfectly poised"

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/05/140521-tarantula-coventry-british-tarantula-society-theraphosidae-science-world/

Now, I know I'm not drunk this early in the morning and still clicked on this thread.  I've got to be getting senile and I think SOME post just to see if I'll bite.  "and I do"  smacks self upside the head

Wait until they've got a few more hundred million years evolution under their belts.

SHADOW-spider_zps80cfc21d.jpg

The one comforting thought I get from this is that I'll be long gone.   :P

• Like 2

It's funny, this year there's lots of spiders out, and when I got in my car the other day and was getting ready to go there was a spider lowering himself right in my face.  I don't know how they get in there, but I remember it happened last year too.  I wonder if they get in and decide to wait until I get in just to have some fun.  Why else would they be right there in front of me.  I don't mind, but I don't really want them in the car spreading webs around.  They might even have eggs somewhere getting ready to hatch.  One spider is OK but a whole herd of them might be too much.  I might be able to get them interested in Joann's car, they like people who are scared of them. 

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

So hey, I have a spider tale to tell. 

In Amsterdam we stayed in a house boat. The house boat had not been tenanted for quite a while. So it was dusty and all the windows were closed. And there were spiders EVERYWHERE. 

We managed to free ourselves of the inside spiders. That left the outside ones, several of which were ENORMOUS. And lots and lots of mosquitoes, which would come in because there were no window screens. So we did various things to keep out the mosquitoes.

But here's the thing. By the fourth or fifth day, the outside spiders had all respun their webs across the windows. Like a vile sort of natural screen. And we had many fewer mosquitoes inside. 

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 4

Spiders are just a fact of life around these parts. So you just brush the webs away when you dust the house and go about your business. I dispose of them if and when I actually see them in the house, but other than that, as long as they leave me alone physically, I don't spend a lot of time worrying about them.

• Like 1

My dad let me watch Arachnophobia when I was a child, and I blame that terrible movie for my actual arachnophobia as an adult.  My dad wasn't the best at gauging what was appropriate for a child to watch.  He also let me watch The Exorcist when I was little, gave me nightmares for weeks.  At least I can say that he instilled a strong love for all things horror, fantasy, and science fiction.   -_-

• Like 2

Hahaha, I was taking a bath at one time, when a large Rain Spider crawled up to the edge of the bath... Let's just say, that's why My right knee is a bit fucked up hahahaha

rainspider.jpg

• Like 2

Hahaha, I was taking a bath at one time, when a large Rain Spider crawled up to the edge of the bath... Let's just say, that's why My right knee is a bit fucked up hahahaha

rainspider.jpg

glowing red eye = Terminator Spider :o *hides under duvet*

• Like 2

Gee, I look at this thread and all I think of is "cool." I guess that what a degree in biology does for you. I can't count the number of times I was bitten doing field research as an undergrad. If recently I was bitten on a finger (I don't know when or by what) and it swelled up quite grandly and my husband made me go to the doctor. The doctor agreed that I had a spider bite and that was it. I think my husband was expecting something more to come of it. LOL

• Like 2