:o Slytherin you don't have spiders in Carebear land right? we're safe there right? RIGHT?!!!

Spider movies don't freak me out like... say snake movies...

No spiders in Carebear land, I promise !! :)

• Like 2

I like spiders. Mostly I just leave them alone. When I was a kid I used to catch them and let them run over my hands. Then again, as previously pointed out, it's too cold and dark for venomous spiders in Scandinavia. As such, European Garden Spiders have generally been the biggest ones I've ever had to deal with (apart from the basement spiders at my mum's house, those things are enormous) and they're lazy as fuck and just spin really pretty webs (they're orb weavers). 

Magpie's an arachnophobe. Which means that when he sees a spider, he freezes up and starts hyperventilating and has to call me to take the thing outside. Which I do, happily. :P

Oh, and btw, camel spiders (which aren't actually spiders at all) aren't really any bigger than a modest sized tarantula, most of them, and aren't even venomous. You get bitten by one, it hurts, but you're not gonna have any lasting effects at all.

Now, coconut crabs, those things actually freak me out for real.

coconut-crab.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Welcome to Australia - enjoy yourselves but be careful:-

spider.jpg

Funnel-Web Spiders are deadly and aggressive
The male Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is the world's most deadly spider.

Both the male and female Sydney Funnel-Web Spider carry atraxotoxin, the world's most dangerous toxin to humans as produced in the animal kingdom.

The male Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is six times more toxic than the female, and it is he whom is most often encountered by humans, during their intrepid search for a female to reproduce.

Red-Back Spiders

HIGHLY VENOMOUS - DANGEROUS - CAN BE DEADLY

Toxicity of venom - the Red-Back Spider can inflict a painful bite which can be fatal, especially to the young and elderly.
An effective anti-venom was developed in 1956.
Only a small amount of venom can cause serious illness, as the poison attacks the nervous system.
Medical attention should be sought as soon as possible.

White-tail Spiders

VENOMOUS - CAN BE DANGEROUS

White-tail spider bites can cause burning pain followed by swelling and itchiness. In some cases, blistering or local ulceration have been reported – conditions known medically as necrotising arachnidism. Minor bacterial infection of the wound caused by Mycobacterium ulcerans carried by the spider, may be a contributory factor in such cases. A debate continues about the involvement of White-tail spider bite in cases of severe ulcerative skin lesions seen in patients diagnosed as probable spider bite victims. Typically, in such cases no direct evidence of spider bite is available.

Area of distribution - found across Australia, including Tasmania.

Mouse Spiders

DANGEROUS - venomous - painful bite

Although normally not aggressive, the male mouse spider will bite if provoked, and should be considered dangerous to humans. 
This spider has been known to cause severe illness, especially to young children. 
It has large hard fangs which can cause a painful bite with a deep gash. 

Black House Spiders are venomous - nausea 

Venom toxicity - the bite of the Black House Spider is poisonous but not lethal. Certain people bitten experience severe pain around the bite site, heavy sweating, muscular pains, vomiting, headaches and giddiness. First aid and medical attention (ambulance) should be sought as soon as possible.

Area of distribution - Australia-wide.

Spider Identification - adults are about 15 mm in body length and of a dark brown to black velvet textured appearance.

Wolf Spiders are venomous - non-aggressive

Venom toxicity - the bite of the Wolf Spider is poisonous but not lethal. Although non-aggressive, they bite freely if provoked and should be considered dangerous to humans. The bite may be very painful. First aid and medical attention should be sought as soon as possible, particularly as to children or the elderly.

Spider Identification - an adult is 15 mm to 30 mm in body length - mottled grey to brown in colour, with a distinct Union Jack impression on it's back. The female carries it's young on it's back. 

Trap-Door Spiders are low risk - non-aggressive

FEMALE
Venom toxicity - the bite of the Trap-Door Spider is of low risk (non toxic) to humans. It is a non-aggressive spider - usually timid but may stand up and present it's fangs if harassed. Rarely bites - but if so it can be painful.

Spider Identification - an adult is about 35 mm in body length - brown to dark brown in colour - heavily covered with fine hairs. The male has distinct boxing glove-shaped palps, that is, the two "sensory feelers" at front of it's head.

Orb-Weaving Spiders are low risk - non-aggressive 

Venom toxicity - the bite of Orb-Weaving Spiders is of low risk (not toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. Seldom bite. Be careful not to walk into their webs at night - the fright of this spider crawling over one's face can be terrifying and may cause a heart attack, particularly to the susceptible over 40 year olds.

Area of distribution - Australia-wide, particularly common in bushland along the eastern coastal areas.

Spider Identification - an adult is about 20 mm to 30 mm in body length - has a bulbous abdomen - often colorful - dark to light brown pattern. The common Golden Orb-Weaver Spider has a purplish bulbous abdomen with fine hairs.

St Andrews Cross Spiders are low risk - non-aggressive

Venom toxicity - the bite of the St Andrews Cross is of low risk (non-toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders.

Spider Identification - adult 5 to 15 mm in body length - abdomen striped yellow and brown - as illustrated. The St Andrews Cross Spider usually sits, upside down, in the middle of it's web forming a cross - as illustrated.

Huntsman Spiders are low risk - non-aggressive 

Venom toxicity - the bite of Huntsman Spiders is of low risk (non toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. However, a large individual can give a painful bite. Beware in summer when the female Huntsman Spider is guarding her egg sacs or young.

Spider Identification - an adult varies greatly around 15 mm in body length - has long legs - the diameter of an adult including legs may reach 45 mm - the first 2 pairs of legs are longer than rear two - it is hairy - buff to beige brown in colour, with dark patches on the body.

Be careful! Be wary!

• Like 3

All of that just reinforced my opinion. Spiders bad, vacuum good

And someone else gets to empty the canister- just in case they survive the ride!

Edited by Kitt
  • Haha 1

Welcome to Australia - enjoy yourselves but be careful:-

spider.jpg

Funnel-Web Spiders are deadly and aggressive

The male Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is the world's most deadly spider.

Both the male and female Sydney Funnel-Web Spider carry atraxotoxin, the world's most dangerous toxin to humans as produced in the animal kingdom.

The male Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is six times more toxic than the female, and it is he whom is most often encountered by humans, during their intrepid search for a female to reproduce.

Red-Back Spiders

HIGHLY VENOMOUS - DANGEROUS - CAN BE DEADLY

Toxicity of venom - the Red-Back Spider can inflict a painful bite which can be fatal, especially to the young and elderly.

An effective anti-venom was developed in 1956.

Only a small amount of venom can cause serious illness, as the poison attacks the nervous system.

Medical attention should be sought as soon as possible.

White-tail Spiders

VENOMOUS - CAN BE DANGEROUS

White-tail spider bites can cause burning pain followed by swelling and itchiness. In some cases, blistering or local ulceration have been reported – conditions known medically as necrotising arachnidism. Minor bacterial infection of the wound caused by Mycobacterium ulcerans carried by the spider, may be a contributory factor in such cases. A debate continues about the involvement of White-tail spider bite in cases of severe ulcerative skin lesions seen in patients diagnosed as probable spider bite victims. Typically, in such cases no direct evidence of spider bite is available.

Area of distribution - found across Australia, including Tasmania.

Mouse Spiders

DANGEROUS - venomous - painful bite

Although normally not aggressive, the male mouse spider will bite if provoked, and should be considered dangerous to humans. 

This spider has been known to cause severe illness, especially to young children. 

It has large hard fangs which can cause a painful bite with a deep gash. 

Black House Spiders are venomous - nausea 

Venom toxicity - the bite of the Black House Spider is poisonous but not lethal. Certain people bitten experience severe pain around the bite site, heavy sweating, muscular pains, vomiting, headaches and giddiness. First aid and medical attention (ambulance) should be sought as soon as possible.

Spider Identification - adults are about 15 mm in body length and of a dark brown to black velvet textured appearance.

Wolf Spiders are venomous - non-aggressive

Venom toxicity - the bite of the Wolf Spider is poisonous but not lethal. Although non-aggressive, they bite freely if provoked and should be considered dangerous to humans. The bite may be very painful. First aid and medical attention should be sought as soon as possible, particularly as to children or the elderly.

Spider Identification - an adult is 15 mm to 30 mm in body length - mottled grey to brown in colour, with a distinct Union Jack impression on it's back. The female carries it's young on it's back. 

Trap-Door Spiders are low risk - non-aggressive

FEMALE

Venom toxicity - the bite of the Trap-Door Spider is of low risk (non toxic) to humans. It is a non-aggressive spider - usually timid but may stand up and present it's fangs if harassed. Rarely bites - but if so it can be painful.

Spider Identification - an adult is about 35 mm in body length - brown to dark brown in colour - heavily covered with fine hairs. The male has distinct boxing glove-shaped palps, that is, the two "sensory feelers" at front of it's head.

Orb-Weaving Spiders are low risk - non-aggressive 

Venom toxicity - the bite of Orb-Weaving Spiders is of low risk (not toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. Seldom bite. Be careful not to walk into their webs at night - the fright of this spider crawling over one's face can be terrifying and may cause a heart attack, particularly to the susceptible over 40 year olds.

Area of distribution - Australia-wide, particularly common in bushland along the eastern coastal areas.

Spider Identification - an adult is about 20 mm to 30 mm in body length - has a bulbous abdomen - often colorful - dark to light brown pattern. The common Golden Orb-Weaver Spider has a purplish bulbous abdomen with fine hairs.

St Andrews Cross Spiders are low risk - non-aggressive

Venom toxicity - the bite of the St Andrews Cross is of low risk (non-toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders.

Spider Identification - adult 5 to 15 mm in body length - abdomen striped yellow and brown - as illustrated. The St Andrews Cross Spider usually sits, upside down, in the middle of it's web forming a cross - as illustrated.

Huntsman Spiders are low risk - non-aggressive 

Venom toxicity - the bite of Huntsman Spiders is of low risk (non toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. However, a large individual can give a painful bite. Beware in summer when the female Huntsman Spider is guarding her egg sacs or young.

Spider Identification - an adult varies greatly around 15 mm in body length - has long legs - the diameter of an adult including legs may reach 45 mm - the first 2 pairs of legs are longer than rear two - it is hairy - buff to beige brown in colour, with dark patches on the body.

Be careful! Be wary!

Oh no !! Zombie is gonna love this, he is a bit weird :(:lol:

• Haha 1
  • Site Administrator

The thing about spiders I like is that everyone claims they have the most dangerous spider in the world :)

Personally I don't like to get warm and cuddly with them but don't go out of my way to kill one if I see one. But like Cele, my bath, my bed and my food is off limits :P

Like snakes I am fascinated by them, but have no need to own one.

*runs off to sign Joann and Slytherin up for a episode of Fear Factor that involves spiders*

• Like 3

The thing about spiders I like is that everyone claims they have the most dangerous spider in the world :)

Personally I don't like to get warm and cuddly with them but don't go out of my way to kill one if I see one. But like Cele, my bath, my bed and my food is off limits :P

Like snakes I am fascinated by them, but have no need to own one.

*runs off to sign Joann and Slytherin up for a episode of Fear Factor that involves spiders*

:o  :no:

• Like 1