Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Valiant

I'm not so impressed by the ship. Seems like a rather flat and lifeless device compared to the living breathing ships of his past. Time will tell. It doesn't sound like George is too happy with it either. Seems the more experienced you get the bigger and less responsive the ship you're given.

Give it time. A new crew operating in sight of the Fleet, on it's way to pick up an admiral. How lively can such a ship really be?

• Like 2

The reason we haven't seen the impressive side of this ship is it is not built for speed or great handling.  It is built to take and throw a punch.  As soon as we have to take on another frigate or two I think you will be impressed with this war wagon.  :funny:  :thumbup:    She is not a racing filly, she is a fighting bitch.

Edited by JimCarter
  • Like 2

I guess that may be what I'm anticipating. I've always admired the cunning and clever side of Granger. Walking up and just slugging it out seems rather common and Granger is anything but common.

Been thinking about ship life. And if you're not in the tropics then is seems like one would always be cold. Perhaps I'm just thinking that way because winter is kicking and screaming on its way out.

But there is hope! I'm back to Vienna for another show. The last time I didn't have time to see the Lictenstein castle, this time my show is IN it so I'm pretty stoked. Vienna in the springtime! Off around the 24th. I can't wait.

• Like 1

I was going to comment on how George would now have develop a new style of fighting his ship. Then I realized, he was now on the other side of the coin. He knew what a smaller or similar ship could do (from experience). So now, how to counter that would be his goal. Any encounter with a bigger ship(s), he would handle as before. How he would do it, will be refined as he finds out how Valiant handles and he adapts to that accordingly.

Like I am sure most of you, I was saddened to not find a posting this morning. Then again we have not been giving Mark much incentive to do so. Yes, I know my old harangue of reviews & posts. Reviews are not for stroking his ego, but are our way of telling the author we are enjoying the story and hope that he will continue to post chapters. 83 to 89% of us (followers) have not taken the time to show any appreciation at all. Why should he post, for the fun of it, would you? The forum is even worse. Come on people, I for one want this series to continue, don't YOU? Any comment you make, even just a thank you, shows that care and are reading the story. For those who don't know it, you can always go back to a previous chapter and review on it, better late than never. Hoping to hear from some (all?) of you, cheers.

Yes, but think of how depressed your secret (Putin is watching :ph34r: ) admirers in Yuzhno-sakhal or Vladivostok in Russia must have been. It was already Saturday there. There is little enough joy in their lives. A post from you would be a ray of sunshine to them.

• Like 1

Then again we have not been giving Mark much incentive to do so. Yes, I know my old harangue of reviews & posts. Reviews are not for stroking his ego, but are our way of telling the author we are enjoying the story and hope that he will continue to post chapters. 83 to 89% of us (followers) have not taken the time to show any appreciation at all.

I completely agree with this. I don't post reviews (because being part of the Beta process makes it inappropriate. If I think something is bad, then I should have raised it before posting. If Mark rejects something I say, then I should be classy enough not to mention it in public). However it really does make the appreciation more "real". And more reviews would be a great way to combat the thought that "bridgemont" is the poorer sibling of CAP. I happen to think that Bridgemont is a better read than CAP (not that CAP isn't excellent).

I think sometimes I might scare people off in this forum by concentrating too much on history and technicality rather than story - character motives, plot, intrigue etc. Maybe we need to be more pro-active in "promoting" the story we enjoy so much. That can be done with reviews, but also by getting involved in the community. How many reviewers have sent a longer review into the site daily blog for example?

At the same time, I think we have said before how much research goes into this story. The work of producing a single chapter is incredibly in depth. An example of this is in Chapter 5, when Granger and Hornblower go to the theatre at Drury Lane. Note that Hornblower calls it "Drury lane theatre" because that was the common name for it. But the narrative calls it the theatre royal, which is it's technical name. Granger and Hornblower were met by the theatre owner - Mr. Sheridan. Can you guess who the real historical owner of the theatre was? That's right - Mr Sheridan. This detail all sits in 2 paragraphs in the story, and would more than likely pass by the reader without a second thought. But it's there anyway.

So, even without the reviews, you can expect this story to move at a slower pace than usual. Note though that we are now up to chapter 7 and the author is still on track with his 1 post per week, which is an exceptional achievement. I don't think you're wrong when you say a couple of extra reviews might help him keep the pace up for a while :)

• Like 2

I found it to be an awesome chapter. I think the "slug it out" aspect of a larger ship to limit the possibilities of adventure. Rather like sneaking up on someone while riding an elephant. The adventures in the smaller more maneuverable ships have been more exciting. But having said that, Granger is older now and with that comes a larger ship. Presumably because as a captain get's older his eyesight begins to fail and they have to give him a larger ship that's easier to see when returning drunk.

Seriously, I think the battles will be bigger but perhaps the adventures will be less covert. But that doesn't mean it is any less of a story, just that it is evolving like the master of the ship. I'm loving every minute of it.

• Like 2

I completely agree with this. I don't post reviews (because being part of the Beta process makes it inappropriate. If I think something is bad, then I should have raised it before posting. If Mark rejects something I say, then I should be classy enough not to mention it in public). However it really does make the appreciation more "real". And more reviews would be a great way to combat the thought that "bridgemont" is the poorer sibling of CAP. I happen to think that Bridgemont is a better read than CAP (not that CAP isn't excellent).

I think sometimes I might scare people off in this forum by concentrating too much on history and technicality rather than story - character motives, plot, intrigue etc. Maybe we need to be more pro-active in "promoting" the story we enjoy so much. That can be done with reviews, but also by getting involved in the community. How many reviewers have sent a longer review into the site daily blog for example?

At the same time, I think we have said before how much research goes into this story. The work of producing a single chapter is incredibly in depth. An example of this is in Chapter 5, when Granger and Hornblower go to the theatre at Drury Lane. Note that Hornblower calls it "Drury lane theatre" because that was the common name for it. But the narrative calls it the theatre royal, which is it's technical name. Granger and Hornblower were met by the theatre owner - Mr. Sheridan. Can you guess who the real historical owner of the theatre was? That's right - Mr Sheridan. This detail all sits in 2 paragraphs in the story, and would more than likely pass by the reader without a second thought. But it's there anyway.

So, even without the reviews, you can expect this story to move at a slower pace than usual. Note though that we are now up to chapter 7 and the author is still on track with his 1 post per week, which is an exceptional achievement. I don't think you're wrong when you say a couple of extra reviews might help him keep the pace up for a while :)

I agree with you Westie.  I enjoy the CAP because Mark tells a great story, but love the Granger stories because I do feel and enjoy the bits of history Mark manages to weave into the story.  I feel so invested in the Bridgemont series.  I am confident Mark could write a story about two frogs fucking and it would be enjoyable, but he has something special when it comes to George Granger.

• Like 3

I agree with you Westie.  I enjoy the CAP because Mark tells a great story, but love the Granger stories because I do feel and enjoy the bits of history Mark manages to weave into the story.  I feel so invested in the Bridgemont series.  I am confident Mark could write a story about two frogs fucking and it would be enjoyable, but he has something special when it comes to George Granger.

I'll have to try that for one of the anthologies.  A frog-fucking story. :P

. . .   I am confident Mark could write a story about two frogs fucking and it would be enjoyable, but he has something special when it comes to George Granger.

LOL, Got a link? Sounds . . . "ribbetting"!

No, no, a thousand times no, don't do it! You'll have the STF all over us in an uproar. Ever since that frog and the princess movie, no one is safe.

http://www.savethefrogs.com/actions/index.html

Ricky, I looked up where you are going to in Austria. Try and take some pictures, it looks fantastic (read seriously jealous). For those interested, click below, it is impressive. Have a good trip.

http://www.burgliechtenstein.eu/en/welcome.php

• Like 1

Ricky, I looked up where you are going to in Austria. Try and take some pictures, it looks fantastic (read seriously jealous). For those interested, click below, it is impressive. Have a good trip.

http://www.burgliechtenstein.eu/en/welcome.php

I think I mispoke. I think it is the Palace, not the Castle. But even more beautiful:

https://www.palaisliechtenstein.com/xstorage/_cache/liechtenstein-garden-palace-hercules-hall-stage-3_621_5_ce46e95df279b8118c25a65e55e8d27a.jpg

In my confusion, I thought they were one and the same. Thankfully ignorance is cured through education.

What else might happen before they get home, with Mark always expect the unexpected (he is rather good at that). I am confident that Lord Spencer has by now found a mission appropriate to Georges' new command.

Ricky, yes the Palace is more beautiful. There are actually two in Vienna. One is the City Palace and the other the Garden Palace. I suspect you will be at the former, as the latter is more a museum. From what I could see of the Palace (click below), George would have felt right at home or at court, walking in there (take pictures).

https://www.google.ca/search?q=liechtenstein+palace+vienna&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sBFQU-biH9SzyASJx4CYAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1013&bih=595

I bit of humor, just for the heck of it.

ANCIENT PIPING JOKE:
The lads are marching into battle, with the piper playing away like mad ...
The enemy's arrows, swords and spears are creating bloody slaughter all through the Irish ranks ...
Ten men down, and the piper plays on ...
Twenty men down, and still the pipes ring out.

Finally fifty men have fallen, and the chieftain says to the piper, "For heaven's sake, can you not play something they like?"

One of the reasons I had rather post here rather than review is that only the author gets more than one shot at saying something there.  Here if you made the same comment about you being predictable, I could quote and call bull shit.  There I can only laugh and wonder how many others wanted to say bull shit to that comment. 

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

A great chapter Mark. And Caroline and the kids on-board? I wonder how the Admiralty will respond to that. And all the ship's captains seeing Caroline on-board as Valiant's flag was dipped. Or will St. Vincent preclude the Admiralty's admonishments by interceding and claiming it was his idea as he found her so charming.

OR, is something so important pressing that it won't even be mentioned.

And I can see William at the tailor's now getting his very own uniform to pretend he is dad. And wouldn't that be great if Lord Spenser saw Granger holding his mini-me in uniform. I suspect Spenser would round up a ship for the boy to play with, I mean after all, isn't that what he does? Give ships to daddies?

What a wonderful story and a romantic chapter. Cheers on this one Mark! Well done.

Going to be an interesting Sunday. Easter sharing Hitler's birthday and the rest of the world getting stoned to celebrate 4-20

• Like 3

One of the reasons I had rather post here rather than review is that only the author gets more than one shot at saying something there.  Here if you made the same comment about you being predictable, I could quote and call bull shit.  There I can only laugh and wonder how many others wanted to say bull shit to that comment. 

:rolleyes:

You didn't detect the sarcasm in my response?  :P

A great chapter Mark. And Caroline and the kids on-board? I wonder how the Admiralty will respond to that. And all the ship's captains seeing Caroline on-board as Valiant's flag was dipped. Or will St. Vincent preclude the Admiralty's admonishments by interceding and claiming it was his idea as he found her so charming.

OR, is something so important pressing that it won't even be mentioned.

And I can see William at the tailor's now getting his very own uniform to pretend he is dad. And wouldn't that be great if Lord Spenser saw Granger holding his mini-me in uniform. I suspect Spenser would round up a ship for the boy to play with, I mean after all, isn't that what he does? Give ships to daddies?

What a wonderful story and a romantic chapter. Cheers on this one Mark! Well done.

Going to be an interesting Sunday. Easter sharing Hitler's birthday and the rest of the world getting stoned to celebrate 4-20

Couple of things:

1.  None of us younger people remember Hitler's birthday; we just remember he was a dickhead.  :P

2.  It was uncommon for a Captain to bring his wife with him, but not unheard of.  For a short trip like this, under the circumstances, George doesn't have to worry about being admonished by Spencer. 

3.  I know you were joking, but just to clarify, William wouldn't be fitted for a uniform unless he was in the service. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I think you have set the bees a buzzing. I am sure not a few of us are looking up info on all you have mentioned. Like what was happening in Turkey and specifically with the Sublime Porte (Ottoman government) located in Constantinople at this time in history? Who was this Envoy, Lord Elgin (see the Elgin Marbles, very controversial, even today)? What did he accomplish there, if any thing? Looking up on how Nelson's affair with Lady Hamilton played out.

Then wondering how George will handle the stuck up pregnant cow (oops! I meant to say Lady Elgin). Or the know it all Reverand Hunt.

For the longest time ( up until now ) I had a problem (frustration) with the disparity in the reponses to GAP and the Bridgemont series. Newton's apple(GAP) finally hit me on the head. It is not that one story is better than the other, rather they, like apples(GAP) and oranges(Bridgemont) are two completely different things. Gap is a modern tale that almost all the GA readership can relate to. They can see themselves or some one they know  as some the characters, picture themselves in some of the situations presented or have experienced a similar set of circumstances. What would they do in such and such a spot or situation. It is every day life being written here and many want to comment on what if, no thats just wrong or he/they should of or could of done this or that. Well done Mark. Most the reviews and posts here reflect what I have said above. The readers are part of the story and want to talk about it.

Now we come to the oranges. Bridgemont has a somewhat more limited appeal to a more specialized readership. No, not better, just with a certain interest in naval adventures, the age of sail, history, action of any kind and a love of George, his life and his exploits. Most of us have no sea background, are not peers nor are fabulously rich. Mark through his writings,has been able to transport us back in time, to being there with George and vicariously sharing in the adventures. So while our reviews are not numerous and posts infrequent. They are heart felt and freely given. Thank you for Bridgemont, long may it continue on.

Sandrewn

• Like 2

For those of you following my trip, Vienna has been AWESOME! And the show at the palace was incredible. I fly out in about 6 hours. The Lichtenstein Garden Palace took my breath away when I stepped inside. I have to wonder though . . . I took a dump there, so can I say that I sat on the Royal Throne of Lichtenstein? Hmmm, things to ponder.

• Like 2

Most of us have no sea background, are not peers nor are fabulously rich.

With the glorious anonymity of the internet.... you never know who you might be talking to! :wizard:

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..