Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Valiant

I'm sure he's just busy. I had mail from him as recent as the 27th June. Going quiet for a few weeks isn't unusual if work gets in the way.

. Mark sometimes travels after school is out--he may be on a North Sea cruise doing research. Edited by George Richard
  • Like 1

. Mark sometimes travels after school is out--he may be on a North Sea cruise doing research.

Hmmm. Since he hasn't posted a Valiant chapter since JANUARY (!!!) I would think he must have circumnavigated the earth a couple of times by now.
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I am so afraid Mark is under the weather or something.  I am adding my request to Ricky's request for an update from someone in the know.

Just realized we haven't seen any of the other books chapters posted either. I confess, I'm now a little concerned. 

Mark,

If I can help in any way . . . you have but to ask.

John

• Like 1

Just realized we haven't seen any of the other books chapters posted either. I confess, I'm now a little concerned. 

Mark,

If I can help in any way . . . you have but to ask.

John

Nice offer and I gues lots of readers would offer that  as well.

I fear he needs a bit more professional help and I can only hope he has some people in his private life to help him or help him go there.

Probably like a lot of people we miss his stories here like we miss Dom Luka.

• Like 1

I found this from March 08, 2016 and I quote:

Jeremy sent me a whiny email asking me to post something to the forum, letting you all know what was going on with me, and that sparked a considerable amount of guilt, prompting me to do just that.   Or this.  I haven't checked the forums for posts, because I figured it would be better to share my point of view in an uninfluenced way. 

I've had some life challenges, but nothing that is dire.  It's more that my real life has absorbed an increasing proportion of my time, which is probably as it should be in a normal state of things.  The thing that has baffled me, and what has made me avoid this place for awhile, is that I've faced these challenges before, and my writing has never suffered as a result.  Yet now it is. 

I'm not sure why.  I constantly think about the two serials I'm working on (CAP and Bridgemont) and extensively plan out what I want to happen with the characters, at least in my mind.  But when it comes to sit down and actually write, I find myself unwilling or unable to actually do it.  In the past, I've been stymied by plots where I've written myself into a corner, or characters who didn't turn out like I wanted them to, but that's not the case this time.  In this situation, I know what I want to write, I just don't want to \.  That bothers me, because it's so different than what I'm used to, and because I know it bothers you. 

Conventional wisdom suggests to me that the writing bug will bite me again, that it's only a matter of time.  I can't imagine abandoning the characters and the world that I've built.  At the same time, it's just no fun if I have to force it, and that's going to impact the quality of what I'm putting out.  And I'm not willing to do a half-assed job.  On a positive note, I have three chapters of Black Widow in various stages of editing, and half a chapter of Valiant written.  There has been some activity, just not much. 

So the bottom line is that, as an update, I need to let you know that for the foreseeable future my productivity will probably be seriously diminished.  At the same time, I want to reassure you all that I'm fine, just a bit busy, and that I remain committed to continuing the stories I've been working on for such a long time.  And that my head is partially shoved up my ass.  That should surprise no one.  

End Quote

So at least we know he is not ill or injured. THAT is what is important.

I'm relieved to know this. It does mean that we are probably at an end to his delightful stories. At least if it follows the same path as mine. I've not been able to get back in the groove either and had much the same feelings. Perhaps everything has a season.

But Mark, I love and HAVE loved your stories and if we are lucky enough to have you resume, I will be delighted. Stay well and stay smiling. I'm always here for you, I promise. I owe you so much for the joy and escape you brought to me.

Thanks.

John

• Like 4

I found this from March 08, 2016 and I quote:

Jeremy sent me a whiny email asking me to post something to the forum, letting you all know what was going on with me, and that sparked a considerable amount of guilt, prompting me to do just that.   Or this.  I haven't checked the forums for posts, because I figured it would be better to share my point of view in an uninfluenced way. 

I've had some life challenges, but nothing that is dire.  It's more that my real life has absorbed an increasing proportion of my time, which is probably as it should be in a normal state of things.  The thing that has baffled me, and what has made me avoid this place for awhile, is that I've faced these challenges before, and my writing has never suffered as a result.  Yet now it is. 

I'm not sure why.  I constantly think about the two serials I'm working on (CAP and Bridgemont) and extensively plan out what I want to happen with the characters, at least in my mind.  But when it comes to sit down and actually write, I find myself unwilling or unable to actually do it.  In the past, I've been stymied by plots where I've written myself into a corner, or characters who didn't turn out like I wanted them to, but that's not the case this time.  In this situation, I know what I want to write, I just don't want to \.  That bothers me, because it's so different than what I'm used to, and because I know it bothers you. 

Conventional wisdom suggests to me that the writing bug will bite me again, that it's only a matter of time.  I can't imagine abandoning the characters and the world that I've built.  At the same time, it's just no fun if I have to force it, and that's going to impact the quality of what I'm putting out.  And I'm not willing to do a half-assed job.  On a positive note, I have three chapters of Black Widow in various stages of editing, and half a chapter of Valiant written.  There has been some activity, just not much. 

So the bottom line is that, as an update, I need to let you know that for the foreseeable future my productivity will probably be seriously diminished.  At the same time, I want to reassure you all that I'm fine, just a bit busy, and that I remain committed to continuing the stories I've been working on for such a long time.  And that my head is partially shoved up my ass.  That should surprise no one.  

End Quote

So at least we know he is not ill or injured. THAT is what is important.

I'm relieved to know this. It does mean that we are probably at an end to his delightful stories. At least if it follows the same path as mine. I've not been able to get back in the groove either and had much the same feelings. Perhaps everything has a season.

But Mark, I love and HAVE loved your stories and if we are lucky enough to have you resume, I will be delighted. Stay well and stay smiling. I'm always here for you, I promise. I owe you so much for the joy and escape you brought to me.

Thanks.

John

I remember reading this and promised myself that I wouldn't be so persistent in wanting something from Mark that he was not ready to give, but conveniently forgot.  I agree with you Ricky, we owe Mark so much for the joy and entertainment he has given us.

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...

Now that we are confident of Grangers' return, I will start from where I stopped reading, at chapter 27. For the rest of you I have a suggestion or two to fill in the time. GA remains my favorite site(home). However two stories I have found may appeal to some of you fellow followers of our charming Captain.

http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/solsticeman/a-royal-achievement/01.html

http://www.castleroland.net/library/chapter/arthur/db/db_001

sandrewn

(I hope you find them as enjoyable as I have)

I am normally a lurker on most of the lit sites that I visit, but I wanted to stop by and say "thanks" for the enjoyment I've found in reading the Bridgemont story. You've brought me hours of enjoyment with your characters and story line. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

I am normally a lurker on most of the lit sites that I visit, but I wanted to stop by and say "thanks" for the enjoyment I've found in reading the Bridgemont story. You've brought me hours of enjoyment with your characters and story line. Thank you very much.

welcome aboard camgib! Now that you have broken your vow of silence, I hope we will hear more from you. Mark is always looking for feed back from us. Thanks for joining in.

Be seeing you

sandrewn

I made a vow to myself that I wouldn't be the first to bug Mark about a Granger fix, but I just couldn't wait any longer.  BUG BUG BUG Mark this fan needs a fix so bad I had to bug you in spite of my vow not to do so.  Please forgive my weak self control!

• Like 5

OMG! I thought I stopped reading at chapter 26, it was actually chapter 25!!! I too, am happier than a pig in shit for a new chapter coming. With limited time available to me, I just hope I can catch up, in time to read it before the New Year. YaY, it's marathon Granger for me. The best Christmas present I could ever hope to receive this year.

Thank you Mark

sandrewn

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 4

What a great chapter. Although the King is having a bout of dementia I think it will leave Granger in an even better light with the King.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the dinner with Pitt. Love it. It's an interesting time for Granger. 

Thanks so much Mark. I can not think of a more appreciated gift this Christmas.

May yours be as rewarding. Merry Christmas Mark. You matter to me.

John 

• Like 2

welcome aboard camgib! Now that you have broken your vow of silence, I hope we will hear more from you.

And you gave Mark your virgin post. He loves that. ;)

I agree about the hours of enjoyment. :thankyou: for the wonderful Christmas present, Mark. I had to go back a few chapters to get caught up on events, and I noticed chapter 42 was our Christmas present for 2015 and chapter 43 was a New Year's gift. So fingers crossed for a repeat. :D

Glædelig Jul from Denmark

• Like 4

Mark thanks for being back writing this story. One of my favourites. :thankyou:

I simply love the Granger character. A guy who oozes love and stimulate people to become better and go on. But he  NEEDS  love as well. 

He is so lucky some people are looking out for him. Spencer bringing Calvert back in his live. And Daventry steering him back to Caroline.

Granger still knows he and Caroline are a good team but... that barier ... in their love...  you wrote beautifull about that all these chapters and I long for the moment they will clear that hurdle. I think it will set Granger's mind free for his adventure on the Canal Fleet.

thanks for being back an have fun writing more

Love ND G :hug:

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question that I can't find the answer to anywhere. In "Wardroom" we met 5th Lt. Cavendish, Lt. Roberts cousin. Then we Freddie Cavendish in "HMS Belvidera" (?). Are they related?

They are not.  It was a common enough name that even the author through one too many in.  :-)

Just an update:

I actually finished the last one and a half chapters of Valiant, so now they're in editing.  After that, we're on to another book.  I'll keep you posted as that progresses. 

• Like 5

Just an update:

I actually finished the last one and a half chapters of Valiant, so now they're in editing.  After that, we're on to another book.  I'll keep you posted as that progresses. 

Just an update!!!

Mark, you have just announced the beginning of the end oh so casually, by stating that the last one and a half chapters are in editing. Holy Crap!!!!!

Okay, I have calmed down somewhat and my breathing is almost back to normal. The mature me knows that it was coming. The zombie follower  me just wanted more, more and more. All good things come to an end, sadly even our beloved Grangers' latest adventure. You are a master story teller Mark and from somewhere out there, HMS Valiant will yet sail back into our lives.

Bring on the end Sir, so that we may sing, dance and make merry until sleep takes us. Then when comes  the morning after, I and my mates will climb to the lookout on the highest of hills and patiently await for a glimpse of your next offering(book 8, fingers crossed).

Fair Winds and Following Seas

sandrewn

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 1

They are not. It was a common enough name that even the author through one too many in. :-)

Just an update:

I actually finished the last one and a half chapters of Valiant, so now they're in editing. After that, we're on to another book. I'll keep you posted as that progresses.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..