Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Valiant

This makes twice I have been gobsmacked within the last 28 posts.

Just think astringent!

Oooor, if you're getting gobsmacked out in the breezy warm sunlight, think California Potato chips.

George has been a Viscount for just over two years now. His home is Grander than his fathers'. He has a country estate to rival almost any peer in the realm and he now has a palatial summer home on the island. What device has he put on his personal stationary, what markings on  his couches. Inquiring minds (well, me anyways) would like to know.

George has been a Viscount for just over two years now. His home is Grander than his fathers'. He has a country estate to rival almost any peer in the realm and he now has a palatial summer home on the island. What device has he put on his personal stationary, what markings on  his couches. Inquiring minds (well, me anyways) would like to know.

My guess is he would use his coat of arms on the coaches. What it would be was a topic of discussion in the forums about an earlier book of the Bridgemont Series. As far as on stationary, I do not know what was the norm for aristocracy of that era.

Edited by Kookie

Wow a lot has changed/happened for the month I have been out of pocket.  I have not had a chance to read the stories or these posts as of yet.  This is just a quick not to say I am impressed with the amount of activity while I have been gone.

I will get busy reading tonight and hopefully catch up fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

Wow a lot has changed/happened for the month I have been out of pocket.  I have not had a chance to read the stories or these posts as of yet.  This is just a quick not to say I am impressed with the amount of activity while I have been gone.

I will get busy reading tonight and hopefully catch up fairly quickly. 

That'll teach you to take breaks! And which was it? Did you read or get busy? When it cums to Lord Arbours work one can often lead to the other!

I would speculate that they would send him out to St Vincent's realm. That would give the ship a good run and starting out in Summer they could let her fly. They'll also want to let the Frenchies know there is a new Dawg in the seas to worry about! I wonder if they'll sail her to London to get their orders, they have a mob to please too you know. They have to show off Granger's new command. I mean, he's got the band right? Let's have a party then. Besides, he must take his leave of his Sovereign and he's got a new Travers that must be introduced. And Lord Kingsdale has to take his leave and to see Granger's family. They seem to have adopted him somewhat.

• Like 1

I would speculate that they would send him out to St Vincent's realm. That would give the ship a good run and starting out in Summer they could let her fly. They'll also want to let the Frenchies know there is a new Dawg in the seas to worry about! I wonder if they'll sail her to London to get their orders, they have a mob to please too you know. They have to show off Granger's new command. I mean, he's got the band right? Let's have a party then. Besides, he must take his leave of his Sovereign and he's got a new Travers that must be introduced. And Lord Kingsdale has to take his leave and to see Granger's family. They seem to have adopted him somewhat.

Lord St Vincent (Jervis) was replaced as commander in Mediterranean in 1799.  Therefore, even though, George's pronounced preference was the Mediterranean Fleet, I believe he will be sent to the North Sea Fleet and dispatched on separate patrol (maybe in co-junction with a smaller Frigate or Sloop).  In addition, Lord St. Vincent and Lord Nelson were in charge of the Channel Fleet in 1800 (St Vincent as Commander and Nelson as Vice commander).  

• Like 1

In addition, Lord St. Vincent and Lord Nelson were in charge of the Channel Fleet in 1800 (St Vincent as Commander and Nelson as Vice commander).  

Nelson didn't really join until 1801 (Well, November/December 1800).  Throughout most 1800 he was engaged in intrigue at the Neopolitan Court and a delightful scandal with the Ambassador's wife....

• Like 2

Nelson didn't really join until 1801 (Well, November/December 1800).  Throughout most 1800 he was engaged in intrigue at the Neopolitan Court and a delightful scandal with the Ambassador's wife....

For God and King I expect!  Sounds like Ian Fleming's Bond.....

a lot has been said about George promoting Hornblower's career.  While I see that happening on a very limited scale, the fact that Spencer seems to feel that Pellow almost Forced him (Spencer) to promote him.  A decision that Spencer seems to be second guessing.  Thus I see George taking a back-seat approach to assisting Hornblower preferring to use his political and naval influence in more productive means.  Notice he (George) did not protest Hornblower's assignment. 

Ricky, thanks for the mention of the bagpipes, I do hope Kingsdale brought them (probably ordered to by George). On a sadder note, my monkey has run away. He left me a note saying he was going to join the circus, that he was tired of working for peanuts. I wonder if Justin Biebers' would be interested. :gikkle:

Ricky, thanks for the mention of the bagpipes, I do hope Kingsdale brought them (probably ordered to by George). On a sadder note, my monkey has run away. He left me a note saying he was going to join the circus, that he was tired of working for peanuts. I wonder if Justin Biebers' would be interested. :gikkle:

I would think that he is busy aping Beiber or Beiber is busy aping a spoiled idiot. I've spoken with his mother years ago, I in fact instructed her to get him a vocal coach and helped her to try and find one in the back woods where they lived. He was a really sweet kid back then. She must be so frustrated.

Another wonderful installment featuring my favorite sea captain.  I can't help but wonder what  kind of mischief our loveable captain and his grumpy old admiral can find on their voyage home.  I know in my bones Mark is just waiting to spring some intrigue upon us.  The voyage out was just too mundane for this cast of characters. :read:

• Like 1

I agree with Jimmy. Things are bound to be dicey. The north Atlantic always makes you pay for fine sailing. I figured we would see Hornblower exit quickly. He was a cameo and it wouldn't do to have him hanging around too much. I'm sure we'll see him again later in the show but I saw it as a lock-stitch in the fabric of the story locking it into the established mental reality of the readers. Something Mark does in an incredible way, though usually with known historic figures and events. I think this is the first lock-stitch done with a solidly known fictitious character. Another masterwork ability shown by lord arbour.

I still want our little Weshy back though he's probably not so little now. I was surprised that we didn't have anything from our midshipmen yet, one in particular. How ironic would it be for our newest midshipmen to fall in the drink to be rescued and warmed by George!

I'm not so impressed by the ship. Seems like a rather flat and lifeless device compared to the living breathing ships of his past. Time will tell. It doesn't sound like George is too happy with it either. Seems the more experienced you get the bigger and less responsive the ship you're given.

And I would like to see Freddie Cavendish reenter the story. His brief touches remind us of his love for Granger but I like him as a character as well. I guess I miss him a bit. A great story Mark. I still look forward to every chapter and get really pissed off when it shows up and I'm forced to wait to read it. I mean, my gawd! Doesn't life realize that there are priorities!

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..