This story is set in a far distant future, very different than most imagined.

Men substantially outnumber women due to genetic tinkering and a blight that decimated human populations with long lasting residual effects in the twenty-second and twenty-third centuries.  With that reality, sex is considered as sex and not labeled as straight or gay.  Due to the population imbalance, surrogacy is state supported and encouraged and has been for almost five hundred years as the human population is still rebuilding in the twenty-eighth century where the story takes place.

Space exploration has been a harsh taskmaster as well.   There are other, much greater intelligent beings out there and humans are considered as infants or infantile, and restricted to their own small spur of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Abel III has started to come into his psionic powers and is in the process of discovering their use and limits.  

Life aboard a space cargo ship is routine and often boring, especially for young restless minds.

I've posted eleven chapters as of this morning which encompass nearly 44,000 words and have received 55 comments and several PM's (private messages).  

There remain some sexual taboos.  The age of consent is universally set at sixteen.  Pedophilia is a crime.  Rape is a crime.  Public sexual displays are frowned on as inappropriate. 

In the story, there is sexual contact between Abel III and Abel Jr. on a total of two occasions.  The first time I used as the vehicle for Abel III to come into his telepathic powers.  It was Abel III's first sexual contact in over seven years since he left school and came aboard the Silverspin.

I got some feedback, generally positive, but wonder whether anyone thought it was contrived or had any other thoughts on the matter.

The second time there was sexual contact between Abel III and his dad, it also included his dad's partner Kade.  I used that as a vehicle to try to explain how the telepathic feedback plus the physical sensations of sex was a mind-blowing experience.

The other incest occurs between Abel III and his cousins who are brothers and grew up in what we would call a regular home with a mother and a father.  Their mother is Abel III's aunt and his father's half-sister.  The brothers have not come into their telepathic powers as yet and it is Abel III's job to shield them from too much psychic stimulus.  

I hope these ideas provoke some discussion and comments and will readily reply.  

Edited by Daddydavek

I get the feeling you are almost disappointed that readers aren't upset about breaking certain taboos in your story. If they are they just stop reading without discussing the topic? Or do some complain/discuss this via PM?

The age of consent for example is not upsetting for me, because it's 14 in Germany. If the other person is older than 21 they can be charged if the younger person complains. Are we pedophiles?

Incest, well I wouldn't want that with my dad, but I'm not upset reading about it because they're consenting men and it's fiction.

So why did you write about these topics? And why are you so eager to discuss this?

• Like 1

Because incest is such a volatile topic, I am surprised that people are not raising it as an issue  and commenting about it as much as I expected.  I am not disappointed in the reactions I have received.

I am also curious if using the shock value of such an encounter as the trigger for Abel III coming into his talent worked.

As for as why I am writing about it and eager to discuss it, is complex.   Perhaps it's in part because I lost my father before I was an adult and never got to know him as one or even to consider him as an adult heterosexual being.  Which he certainly was, as I am the second of seven children.  

Another reason is that we live in a culture that puts beauty and youth first and I wanted to explore a culture where beauty and sexiness don't end at attaining age 30, or 40 etc.

Also two people on site have recommended that I establish a thread in this forum for reader discussion. 

The final reason I'd like more discussion, is for the feedback.  I have spent a lot of time building this story and the world it occupies and I am hoping that it captures a little bit of the imagination of my readers as well.  While science fiction is not for everyone, I've spent a lot of hours trying to build characters that readers can relate to and understand their motivations and reactions.  In short, like most authors I'd like the feedback to let me know whether my efforts are worthwhile or whether I be better off spending my time doing something else.  

So I sure hope there are more of my readers who take a look at this thread and put their two cents in, whatever their take on the story and where it is heading.  

Thanks Addy for provoking my response which I hope shows I am sincere.  

• Like 2

Better off spending your time on something else?  DON'T YOU DARE! You have gotten us hooked on Able III's story, you can't just run off and leave us!

How's that for a little bit of feedback?

Incest was determined to be a "bad thing" based on the idea that genetically close people reproducing would create mutations via inbreeding.  That cannot be the case with two males.  Able III and Jr. are both consenting adults, and it is therefore no ones business but themselves. If one were forcing the other that would be different, as would Able III being too young to make an informed decision.

• Love 1

Maybe we are just a more enlightened crowd and the whole incest thing is a bit less meaningful to gay men and procreation. Or, and imagine this, in the world of Abel III you have made it work in a non-creepy way. It's progressive certainly but not diminishing to the characters or the story and that's what does and should matter more than anything else.

So, is this thread to be a discussion on incest? Because that's already been done elsewhere, see The Last Taboo. Or is it just the incest within the story? Because the comments made in the reviews of the early chapters seem to bear out that it wasn't a turn off to readers. More discussion of the topic just seems like an attempt at milking a dead cat.

Can we talk about what's actually going on in the story now!??  :unsure:

• Like 1

:off: Yeah, yeah I know, but milking a dead CAT!!!! You made me choke on my water Ron. :lmao: *turns keyboard upside down and wipes the water off desk* :rofl:

• Like 2

Ok so incest in the context I wrote about it isn't a big deal.  But in the story it was a big enough deal for Abel III to trip his psychic ability and I guess that worked too as no one has commented on that facet.  

To turn the page:  Does anyone have some specific ideas as to where they would like to see the story go?  I have the next three or four chapters all but written and edited and I hope you like where they take us, but if someone has a really cool idea, I am always open to suggestions.  

but if someone has a really cool idea, I am always open to suggestions.  

That'd be pretty hard to do. Your characters are in space and the possibilities are nearly endless. If you pull them into the space occupied by the other spacefaring races then only the limits of your imagination (what's this hominid like, what's that one's culture, that one over there looks like... , how does each races politics mesh with the whole that's keeping younger races out, have they eliminated war altogether or is it limited engagement by consensus, scientific advancement - did each race develope it or did they inherit from much older races long gone, etc.) can get in the way. Seriously, you have epic potential for more than one book with this story. For my part, I'm glad to be a supportive and appreciative reader.

Edit to add: And offer critique if you start getting lazy  :P

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

In his review of chapter 12 Ron noted it was the shortest one yet and that is true.  As the background has been pretty much laid out, hopefully, I can concentrate more on the characters and the action.  

Chapter 15 Back to Work  of Abel III's Awakening was posted around midnight this past Wednesday.   In it Abel and Dennis start to get really get to know each other.  

Chapter 16 The All Important Meeting  of Abel III's Awakening posted around midnight Saturday evening my local time.  In it, Dennis reveals much about himself and his family as Steve and Bill are let in on the secret family gift.   Abel III has a big surprise too!

I hope everyone following the story is enjoying it as much as I've enjoyed writing it.   

However, my family and I are getting ready for a week's vacation down in Branson MO and we leave on Saturday morning the 26th of July and will be gone for a week.  My regular postings will probably be interrupted due to this time which I want to spend with my family on vacation.  DDK

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 1

Chapter 17 The Party and Afterward of Abel III's Awakening is posted with more revelations.

As I mentioned above, I leave on vacation on Saturday, the 26th of July and will be out of town for a week.   I have this Saturday's chapter queued up and ready to post but nothing thereafter.  There may be as much as a two week break in the posting for which i apologize in advance!  DDK

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 19 Special Assignment    of Abel III's Awakening was posted last evening.   I will be trying to maintain a rate of posting every Saturday until the end of this book.  

I hope everyone is enjoying the story and I want to thank my readers for their patience and their loyalty to the story!  Abel III is still learning about his abilities and the abilities of his soulmate Dennis.  

Looking forward to read all the chapters I have missed. Sadly I have only time to write or read at the moment.

The story won't be going away.  It will be here when you get time.  Thanks for taking the time to let me know.  DDK

I really am enjoying this story and the latest chapter was awesome. I had often thought that when Abel was dreaming it was prophetic or prescient and it seemed like he was dreaming of the milky way but I didn't want to presume that. Now, in his last dream he mentions the milky way so I am wondering if that was what he was dreaming of all along... and he was seeing the future.....hmmmm...food for thought....cheers...Gary

• Like 2

I really am enjoying this story and the latest chapter was awesome. I had often thought that when Abel was dreaming it was prophetic or prescient and it seemed like he was dreaming of the milky way but I didn't want to presume that. Now, in his last dream he mentions the milky way so I am wondering if that was what he was dreaming of all along... and he was seeing the future.....hmmmm...food for thought....cheers...Gary

I do like the dream as a sign off for the chapters. It's a great touch. Hints of things to come or just an indication of how Abel is feeling - either way I like them.

Just like you Gary I ponder on the meaning of his dreams

• Like 2

The dreams do seem to indicate that Abel III and his mate's destiny is in the stars.  Of course they are on a cargo starship and travel between the stars for a living so it isn't too much of stretch, yet. 

• Like 1

The dreams do seem to indicate that Abel III and his mate's destiny is in the stars.  Of course they are on a cargo starship and travel between the stars for a living so it isn't too much of stretch, yet. 

When is a hint not a hint?

With a single word "yet" you leave it open to be so much more... such a tease  :P

• Like 2

Well take your time. As you said, the story isn't going away and neither are your readers. Since you're usually quite good about not leaving cliff hangers, waiting for a new chapter isn't too agonizing. The only consequence is that I have to read the second last chapter again, when a new chapters posts, in order to get back into the flow of the story. Since I enjoy reading stories again, this is no hardship for me.

As to the direction of the story, well I assume we all want Abel to confront the Guardian at some point or at least find out more about the bans keeping humans confined. However, I'd also like to see him deal with the stupid Council of telepaths and get a new structure which helps young telepath develop better shields and ensures they can stay a secret from the Government.

Plus I'd like to see him help the 'public' telepath family escape from the sort of slavery they are in. Maybe he can set up ethic rules, both for telepaths towards non-telepath humans, but also the other way round.

• Like 1

Well take your time. As you said, the story isn't going away and neither are your readers. Since you're usually quite good about not leaving cliff hangers, waiting for a new chapter isn't too agonizing. The only consequence is that I have to read the second last chapter again, when a new chapters posts, in order to get back into the flow of the story. Since I enjoy reading stories again, this is no hardship for me.

As to the direction of the story, well I assume we all want Abel to confront the Guardian at some point or at least find out more about the bans keeping humans confined. However, I'd also like to see him deal with the stupid Council of telepaths and get a new structure which helps young telepath develop better shields and ensures they can stay a secret from the Government.

Plus I'd like to see him help the 'public' telepath family escape from the sort of slavery they are in. Maybe he can set up ethic rules, both for telepaths towards non-telepath humans, but also the other way round.

What's the saying about great minds thinking alike?  But seriously, some of your ideas are ones I had for a sequel.....

• Like 1