Welcome! This is the discussion thread for The Art Of Being Gay. This story is based on two character sketches I wrote due to prompts. I'm doing something new to me. I've always developed a plot line and ending for my stories. This one is completely open and without an outline of any kind. I'm walking the tightrope without a net. 

I have ideas, images, and icons that have helped shape our identity. But I'm not sure where they will take Roy and Chad. Anyway, if you have suggestions or critiques, please share. I'm quite open to any help navigating and surveying these characters' pathway. 

Thanks for joining me on a journey into the unknown. The first two chapters have setup the scenario. And away we go!

:)

Cole

• Like 2

"All HIS losers were still broken" / "We'll find you a nice problem child"

:o Kendra for the win!  :D

And I LOVED the bit of dialogue after where Roy says, "Why didn't your brother hire him?" Shows he's not such a pushover after all! And it anchors the story so brilliantly in the real world of small-town families and alliances and second chances.  

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

And I LOVED the bit of dialogue after where Roy says, "Why didn't your brother hire him?" Shows he's not such a pushover after all! And it anchors the story so brilliantly in the real world of small-town families and alliances and second chances.  

That scene can't be wasted. I think Lonnie is gonna be in a world of hurt from the off scene with Chad. Your small town alliances reference got me thinking! 

Oh man. No redemption story between Lonnie and Darnell? That's where I thought it might go. Lonnie gets the platonic version of the problem child and Roy gets the romantic one... But ok. All I ask is that the strong female characters stay strong. I'm still sulking about the last few Button chapters...

• Like 1

I'm doing something new to me. I've always developed a plot line and ending for my stories. This one is completely open and without an outline of any kind. I'm walking the tightrope without a net. 

I have ideas, images, and icons that have helped shape our identity. But I'm not sure where they will take Roy and Chad.

LOL. That's my usual MO. I have an idea and go from there. Sometimes I think it's an insane way to write a story. Good luck!

So tell me how it works for you so far. I'll go and read the first chapters now.

• Like 1

Starting off with character sketches  always seems to end in very interesting stories, IMO.  It lets the character take on a life of his own.

Warning - some of the authors I have worked with who write this way have found the characters tend to take over the story and their fingers have a bit of a hard time keeping up with the typing! They begin to demand attention at all hours of the day and night!

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

We are onto chapter six of the story. It's about time for a new lesson for Chad. I have an idea for seven. Any thoughts on other lessons about being gay? I'd love ideas.

I would say...trust your instincts Cole because you are doing fine so far. I think a lot of the lessons about being Gay are learned in the building of a relationship. In our world friends are incredibly important in helping you realize the biggest lesson...that you are not alone. But friends can only do so much...It can be an awfully lonely world when you don't have someone to cherish and someone to cherish you. Which leads to the next big lesson..we are still people, and where it matters we are not so different after all. Like straight people it is all about choosing the lifestyle that satisfies what you need. Sorry for getting carried away....love the characters and love the story!

• Like 1

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying the story too, and I'm quite :*)  about not writing any reviews. Kendra pissed me off, but she's an important character, so I'm OK with her butting in now and then. The 'ballet' lesson was hilarious. How about going to the hair dresser or wellness center next ? :lol: 

• Like 1

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying the story too, and I'm quite :*)  about not writing any reviews. Kendra pissed me off, but she's an important character, so I'm OK with her butting in now and then. The 'ballet' lesson was hilarious. How about going to the hair dresser or wellness center next ? :lol:

Thank God someone else is pissed of by Kendra! Thank you Tim! Every story needs someone or two like that though. Right Cole? :P

And no, I didn't mean you're God even though it somewhat sounded like that, Tim.

Edited by aditus
  • Like 2

After reading the latest chapter, and thinking for a minute about the first couple of lessons with the drag show and strippers.  Okay, for many, that is a part of being gay and I am sure that they are a part of the art of being gay.  Neither those activities or bars are a part of my family's gay life. We are much more likely to be found in the middle of a construction project, on the lake fishing, in the middle of a bunch of tree limbs with chainsaw cutting wood, or with a bunch of seedlings in our greenhouse.  For us the art of being gay is more of incorporating being gay with our everyday lives in our work, our relationships with our straight neighbors (we are the only gay family in our neighborhood), and our friends.  There is certainly an art to those types of relationships in developing them so that people know you are gay but instead of being defined simply as a gay person, you are defined by other things such as being a professional in your work, being a good friend, being a valued neighbor and having the people around you recognize that there is much more to you than simply being gay.  

Cole, am I rambling too much or is there maybe an idea somewhere in here that could be taught to Chad as a part of learning the Art of Being Gay.

• Like 3

Jim,

Your comments are incredibly insightful. I will not directly comment on them since that would be telling. But i will say you are nibbling at the edges of the theme. I dont think being gay is going to strip clubs or drag shows either, necessarily. They are parts of a shared cultural expression. That is what im exploring. Okay, i'll shut up now. ;)

• Like 1

But isn't the whole point that Chad has no idea what kind of gay he is or where to find out how he feels about being gay. This is why Roy is 'educating' him and of course it is easiest to start off with the obvious or even over-the-top stereotypes. Then Chad can define himself compared to that.

I think Roy should take him to a fitness center frequented by gay guys and let him see the whole body worship culture. And what about a shelter for homeless gay teens, if that exists? How about seeing a baseball match or other sports, where you can comment on hunky guys running around in tight pants?

• Like 2

The art of being gay is an interesting title. For me, it stimulates my thought process and takes me back in time. I came out to myself at 38, after having four kids. I already knew a lot about the over the top part of gay life from mainstream media even though I had never experienced any of it. In the process of building a gay life I often felt like I didn't fit. I had a different set of values from those that I met through the bar scene. Being new, I got a lot of attention, mostly unwanted and had to learn to bob and weave through those early years. With all the added stimuli I never once gave up who I was and now I take some pride in that. Have I ever learned the Art? I am not sure...but I learned to fit in, be accepting and be proud of who I am. Where I learned the most about being gay was in relationships...that is where I found out the most about who I was and am. I think because I came out late, I had learned to always hold something of myself back and had to learn that I didn't have to do that anymore. How freeing that is...to know that you can truly be yourself with someone you really love. No restrictions exist when we learn that lesson. There is an art to that and I hope Chad can learn it like I did. Thanks for listening...Cheers...Gary

• Like 3

After the reading the latest chapter I'm beginning to hope Roy will play an even more important role in teaching Chad how to be a happy gay man. Chad's son and his girlfriend certainly seem to approve of the idea, LOL.

So I guess you're right, Gary, Chad will learn most from being in a relationship.

• Like 2