Like we are not already hooked and along for the entire ride?!?

I am already strapped in for this baby :read:   ...I just hope the rollercoaster isn't too bumpy, or worse, one of the ones that turn upside down...I haaate those ones :o

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Speculation as to what the father will do...hmm....

Too much depends on his motivations, which are not clear to me. He clearly didn't want to have gay sons, but exactly why is not obvious. Is it for religious reasons? Is it for image reasons? Is it for some other unspecified reason?

If it's religious, the official teaching from the Catholic church (as I understand it) is to hate the sin but love the sinner. He's not doing that, but then that's not uncommon. If that's the case then his love for his sons may eventually push past his current feelings, but I've seen no sign in the story so far that that will happen. If anything, he doesn't appear to have a strong love for his sons, so developing one now would seem odd.

If it's image, then he's already in trouble with his wife leaving him. I've often found that variations in image can be acceptable, but it's a brave person who goes first. Someone may convince him that he's holding too tightly to a strict image and he doesn't appear as 'human'. However, that would mean admitting he was wrong, which is something extremely difficult to do for someone like him.

To come up with an answer of what he'll do requires more information than is clear at the moment. We'd need a better understanding of who is he, when the information we have is limited because it's all been filtered through Russell's perception and knowledge. For example, his wife is leaving him -- exactly why? We're not explicitly told. There are strong hints that it's to do with an anger management problem, but the father isn't portrayed as being violent. Manipulative and controlling, yes, but not violent. What happens when someone breaks from his control? The only firm example we have is what we were told happened with Russell's twin -- he was cut off. If he stays true to form, he'll cut off Russell and his soon-to-be-ex-wife.

My problem with all of the above analysis is that it doesn't give a strong explanation for why a private investigator was hired to find Russell. The implication was simply that the father didn't want Russell to be influenced into being gay (which, by the way, implies a certain mindset as to what makes someone gay), but given that Russell's mother is the one who organised Russell's escape, that seems over-the-top. If it's image that's driving the father, he'd be more likely to cut them off, after only a small effort to find Russell. He certainly wouldn't go to Denmark himself to try to find him.

My suspicion is that there's something else motivating the father. The most likely would be something to do with money or influence. For example, an inheritance that's dependent on him having sons to continue the family name, or a 'planned marriage' with the daughter of someone influential. Evan would've been the obvious one for the marriage role, but being gay kills that idea. Trying to get Russell back under his control would be the fallback option. Regardless, I suspect it'll be personal self-interest that's driving the father. The unclear part is exactly what....

• Like 2

At this point I am going to go with the father being an ignorant homophobe who is used to running other peoples lives... and figures he has the right to decide what is best for the members of his family. He doen't listen because he is arrogant enough to think he doesn't have to. In other words, he takes the role of Patriarch to the extreme of old school thinking.

• Like 3

Wow you guys have so many interesting suggestions, it's going to take me a while to decide which ones fit into my image of Russell's father. And Graeme, you're right in saying we need to know what motivates him beyond being a controlling bastard. :lol: I think their mom may be able to shed some light on matters once she arrives.

• Like 4

Tim!  You are NOT supposed to be giving hints about what is coming!  If I had let something like that slip in one of Sasha's forums I would have been bitten! And he is a pretty non-violent wolf!

• Like 4

I have enjoyed this story so far, and agree with A.C. and Headstall's comments on Russell, but I think it is going to take him some time to really get where he wants to be mentally--finally noticing the improvement physically is a great start, but the mental inferiority issues caused by his father are very deep.

Off to read the new chapter--Thanks Tim!!

You're welcome and thank you in return for your astute observations. Russell's mental inferiority issues are indeed something which will take time to get past. And I hope you didn't credit his belief of being 'fine' and his off hand dismissal of any further need of help in dealing with the matter. Maybe he can manage without a professional counselor, but my gut feeling is his complex will break through in ways yet unforeseen.

Oh, and while I'm sure Jacob enjoys the improved body :P I think he'll be even happier to see his boyfriend become confident and content.

Jacob (and the rest of us) are enjoying seeing Russell blossom and grow but this will be a long road I fear. Telling the story from Russell's perspective, we really get a feel for the difficulties he is facing - including denial. Russ has the support of his loving boyfriend and that should help but given the environment that Russ has grown up in, a bit of professional help wouldn't go astray.

It's interesting how people are concerned about Russell and Evan but my concerns are more for their mother. They all need to escape the Dad.

• Like 2

Wow you guys have so many interesting suggestions, it's going to take me a while to decide which ones fit into my image of Russell's father. And Graeme, you're right in saying we need to know what motivates him beyond being a controlling bastard. :lol: I think their mom may be able to shed some light on matters once she arrives.

Tim!  You are NOT supposed to be giving hints about what is coming!  If I had let something like that slip in one of Sasha's forums I would have been bitten! And he is a pretty non-violent wolf!

I hope that wasn't Tim's big hint! She has been married to him for some time - if anyone knows it should be her. But I agree Sasha would have nipped you for revealing anything.

At this point I am going to go with the father being an ignorant homophobe who is used to running other peoples lives... and figures he has the right to decide what is best for the members of his family. He doen't listen because he is arrogant enough to think he doesn't have to. In other words, he takes the role of Patriarch to the extreme of old school thinking.

Patriarch with a strong interest in money - not a happy combo...

• Like 3

Tim!  You are NOT supposed to be giving hints about what is coming! 

I hope that wasn't Tim's big hint! She has been married to him for some time - if anyone knows it should be her.

Well, since I've so far only hinted at matters which are yet undecided, I don't think I'm giving away much. :lol:

I'll be uploading ch 6 some time tonight or early Saturday morning, Danish time.

• Like 2

Arrghh don't remind me. It hasn't even been sent to AC yet !! But I'm determined to get it done over the weekend. Almost all that's missing is the hot sex at the end. :P

Well, since you put it that way, I will be patient. Just don't drool all over your keyboard as you are writing that ending :o:P:funny: ...cheers buddy...Gary

• Like 2

Some interesting comments in the Reviews...

As a fellow Australian, I would agree with Graeme that it takes a few generations to really get into the mix. I always thought it required a generation of migrant children to be told by their parents that they had to do Medicine, Law or Engineering. Once they have "made it", the next generation can be as laid-back as the rest of us.

And Headstall's comments about your improving writing style intrigued me - I put it down to Russell becoming more clear headed, that Russell was getting better at explaining what happening around him. Tim - Don't rewrite the story, let literary scholars in 100 years time argue about whether Russell, you or the Editors deserve the credit. It works for me.

• Like 3

Some interesting comments in the Reviews...

As a fellow Australian, I would agree with Graeme that it takes a few generations to really get into the mix. I always thought it required a generation of migrant children to be told by their parents that they had to do Medicine, Law or Engineering. Once they have "made it", the next generation can be as laid-back as the rest of us.

And Headstall's comments about your improving writing style intrigued me - I put it down to Russell becoming more clear headed, that Russell was getting better at explaining what happening around him. Tim - Don't rewrite the story, let literary scholars in 100 years time argue about whether Russell, you or the Editors deserve the credit. It works for me.

I certainly wouldn't want you to rewrite the story...It has been excellent from the start. I reread the story a few days ago...I just think you have found your groove, my friend...and as you said to me..you have been working on it...It appears to me that creative writing is a process...influenced by many things..from editors to practice to story lines to striving to improve etc.I think you should be very proud of the  ongoing progress you have made. I am a huge fan and I am pretty sure that I will be for a long time :worship: . Cheers buddy....Gary

• Like 2

Having fun with stereotyping  :lol:

As a lead up to chapter 7, I’d like to introduce you to the web comic Scandinavia and the World: www.satwcomic.com

It portrays stereotypes of the Scandinavian countries and how they see other countries in the world, each other and various events. I recommend you start from the beginning : http://satwcomic.com/sweden-denmark-and-norway, and read at least the first twenty pages (eg to the one called America Has Spoken).

Only go there at a time and place where you’re able to laugh out loud and spend hours reading and occasionally crying with laughter and :rofl:  Or at least that’s what I did when I first got introduced to the wicked humor of this Danish girl.

I’d love to hear what you think about it, and which comic is your favorite. Or maybe some of you know it already?

Another stereotype of Denmark (including Greenland and the Faroe Islands) is this map of how tourists (domestic and foreign) see the country. http://i.imgur.com/0fAvDQy.jpg Can you find the places Russell and Jacob visited?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Having fun with stereotyping  :lol:

As a lead up to chapter 7, I’d like to introduce you to the web comic Scandinavia and the World: www.satwcomic.com

It portrays stereotypes of the Scandinavian countries and how they see other countries in the world, each other and various events. I recommend you start from the beginning : http://satwcomic.com/sweden-denmark-and-norway, and read at least the first twenty pages (eg to the one called America Has Spoken).

Only go there at a time and place where you’re able to laugh out loud and spend hours reading and occasionally crying with laughter and :rofl:  Or at least that’s what I did when I first got introduced to the wicked humor of this Danish girl.

I’d love to hear what you think about it, and which comic is your favorite. Or maybe some of you know it already?

Another stereotype of Denmark (including Greenland and the Faroe Islands) is this map of how tourists (domestic and foreign) see the country. http://i.imgur.com/0fAvDQy.jpg Can you find the places Russell and Jacob visited?

Damn, Timothy M - by the awesome display of information you have to share, and ALL of your amazing posts here, I'm so glad you let me twist your arm and set up a Clueless Camping Forum! And you were worried no one had anything to say...   

• Like 3

Damn, Timothy M - by the awesome display of information you have to share, and ALL of your amazing posts here, I'm so glad you let me twist your arm and set up a Clueless Camping Forum! And you were worried no one had anything to say...   

I'm grateful too that you insisted ! :worship: And I'm having so much fun finding all sorts of links to go with my chapters. I already have a list of five things for the next one: two on food and three on places.

But right now I'm dying to know what people think of the SATW comic. Am I the only one to be fascinated by it ? Oh and don't forget to read her explanation about each comic below the drawings, as this makes them even funnier.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

I'm grateful too that you insisted ! :worship: And I'm having so much fun finding all sorts of links to go with my chapters. I already have a list of five things for the next one: two on food and three on places.

But right now I'm dying to know what people think of the SATW comic. Am I the only one to be fascinated by it ?

I haven't looked at it yet, but i like your 'tourist map.' It's full of information on places that 'smell like fish,' and handy 'drunk people' zones. lol

• Like 2

In case anyone is wondering about my new profile picture, it's an ash tree of course.

In Norse mythology the tree of life is an ash, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

and the first man was made from an ash log (ask means ash)

Ask and Embla were the first humans, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ask_and_Embla

Oh and the threats to ash:

emerald ash borer – a beautiful green but devastating jewel beetle see www.emeraldashborer.info

ash dieback see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymenoscyphus_pseudoalbidus

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

But right now I'm dying to know what people think of the SATW comic. Am I the only one to be fascinated by it ? Oh and don't forget to read her explanation about each comic below the drawings, as this makes them even funnier.

Shamefully inaccurate stereotypes :P  - not all Australians have wombats, some of us have numbats, wallabies, wollies, or bandicoots.

• Like 2