Being an Agnostic, I can only rely on the fact that I live the most populous state in the Union.

Like Chris says in the chapter: All of U.S.A. is not the same, there are liberal and conservative areas / states, as well as more or less religious communities. In Europe we tend to see the States as one big whole, forgetting that the single States can be as different as countries in Europe.

(Please remember to keep political stuff for the Pit)

It always amuses me when I see tourists visiting the SF Bay Area who think that the weather is going to be like what they've seen on TV – forgetting that LA is about 350 miles (560 km) further south! They forget there are only 3 large states (not counting Alaska and Hawaii) along the Pacific Coast instead of the dozen or so little states on the Atlantic Coast. Some US states and European countries are smaller than the largest California counties.

We're also not hot and muggy in the summer like the eastern ⅔ of the US. Hot sometimes, but usually fairly dry.

Edited by Former Member

Well, at least these surveys are not trying to predict anything. But I guess they could still be wrong.

Yeah, they may need this in the next few years, if things will go as some people predict. But you know, I think it may all turn out OK in the end. I'm the eternal optimist, which is less stressful than being a pessimist.

Surveys simply report people's opinions. Where polls screw up is when people try to predict the future based on a limited number of these opinions.

Like Chris says in the chapter: All of U.S.A. is not the same, there are liberal and conservative areas / states, as well as more or less religious communities. In Europe we tend to see the States as one big whole, forgetting that the single States can be as different as countries in Europe.

(Please remember to keep political stuff for the Pit)

Not just states differ from each other, counties within can be as different as well. In NJ alone you have everything from counties similar in makeup to NYC to basically farmland where visiting your nearest neighbor requires transportation, it's too far to walk over.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

[sarcasm] We just let our inner-city kids experience drive-by shootings and gunfights on a regular basis (sometimes in school). Our gore is a basic part of life, yours is clinical and artificial. That's why violence in kids movies is okay, but nudity isn't. [/sarcasm]

I should have said "bitter sarcasm" since those are my neighbors I'm talking about.

About six years ago, a young friend of mine, the 'son-in-law' of a friend I met while staying in a homeless shelter, was killed a few blocks from where I now live. He just happened to be sitting in his car with his sister when they witnessed two cars shooting at each other. They were on their way to their community college classes.

I should have said "bitter sarcasm" since those are my neighbors I'm talking about.

About six years ago, a young friend of mine, the 'son-in-law' of a friend I met while staying in a homeless shelter, was killed a few blocks from where I now live. He just happened to be sitting in his car with his sister when they witnessed two cars shooting at each other. They were on their way to their community college classes.

Yikes, that's awful. I'm so grateful we have few shootings like that, although I have to admit they've become more frequent in recent years as we see more gangs. And a few weeks before Christmas this crazy person walked up behind a cop and shot him, out of the blue. The first Danish cop killed in 18 years, and the last one was at a bank robbery, as far as I remember. Every one here were in shock.

Yikes, that's awful. I'm so grateful we have few shootings like that, although I have to admit they've become more frequent in recent years as we see more gangs. And a few weeks before Christmas this crazy person walked up behind a cop and shot him, out of the blue. The first Danish cop killed in 18 years, and the last one was at a bank robbery, as far as I remember. Every one here were in shock.

:(

Most police deaths here are, unfortunately, accidents on the road - mostly involving people failing to slow down and move over when the police have pulled someone over to the side of the road to ticket for speeding. We do get the occasional shooting death, though.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My torch and pitchfork are reserved for a certain little boy (who's going into the hospital) and his worried dads. Are we ever going to get a report on his current condition? Or is there some sort of waiting list for hospital beds? Someone has to be rooting for the kid!  ;-)

The twins have plenty of support these days…

My torch and pitchfork are reserved for a certain little boy (who's going into the hospital) and his worried dads. Are we ever going to get a report on his current condition? Or is there some sort of waiting list for hospital beds? Someone has to be rooting for the kid!  ;-)

As a matter of fact the next chapter of the Cardmaker is almost ready to send to Kitt for editing and I've made a start on the chapter after that. I plan to use the anniversary of the story start to get going with it again. So no need for pitchforks an torches right now, but they may be needed later.

Oh, and I meant to post last night (my time), but got thrown off GA by a slow connection and I couldn't get back on. It'll be tomorrow, then.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

I would move to the North Sea region if it weren't for the frigid temperatures. I've only lived in the Bay Area, San Diego, and Hawaii where it doesn't snow and there are no icebergs or ice floes in the ocean! Peter, Jacob, Tor, and Thaw's Joel would be powerful incentives for me to want to live in Scandinavia (it's all a single country just like in the game of Risk, right?) and I've heard that Scotland has the highest percentage of redheads in the world. Of course there's always Harry Wales even if he did just get engaged.  ;-)

But I'm sure the looooooooooooong winter nights wouldn't help at all with my clinical depression. And I don't eat fish. Plus I'm horrible at learning languages (I've taken several years each of three different ones). With my obvious Pacific Rim heritage, I'd be novelty at best…

I always thought that some of the names in certain GA stories stretched credibility, but I just saw a news report where a local Bay Area elementary school student named "Atticus" was interviewed! I'll have to forgive the authors for names like "Nix" (short for the ever popular "Phoenix" of course).

I just realized I won't be at home tomorrow to post the chapter, and I don't want to rely on the post-date system.

So here you go: chapter 19.

Frederiksberg Allé (Road) and some pictures of the 'Nordic Champs-Élysées'
Frederiksberg Kirke and a bit more about the church
  • Like 1

I think I need to put some more drama or cliff hangers into my stories, so I can get more reviews. :lol:

No, you need to concentrate on avoiding all the pitchforks by posting new chapters more frequently.

…Or are you planning on a biannual posting schedule now?  ;-)

LOL, you're right - but why are you hounding me in the A to Z forum? :huh:

I'm hoping to get chapters written at all.

So, due to the inherent ambiguity of the word "biannual," does this mean we'll get new chapters twice a year? Or once every two years?

Ha, ha, I was wondering the same. My ambition is to post at least two chapters of each of my major stories every year, with a few Prompt chapters thrown in here and there. But let's meet back here in a year's time and see what really happened. :*)

• Like 2