Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

Gary is doing that for me as well...along with moral support which I also get from you and AC, and those who have helped me with tech stuff here.

Any one got a nick name that would fit Jay?  Or does he need one?

Jay is so cute, besides i thought 'Jay' was the nick name for his real, Danish name. No..? 

• Like 2

You hit on it, AC...I was thinking that since he has one for Mikey, which will come up in the next chapter, he should have one.  Since his name is Jens, I'm wondering if Mikey will try calling him 'Jenny'?  :)  Not that he'd dare use that at school!

• Like 2

You hit on it, AC...I was thinking that since he has one for Mikey, which will come up in the next chapter, he should have one.  Since his name is Jens, I'm wondering if Mikey will try calling him 'Jenny'?  :)  Not that he'd dare use that at school!

but it would sound like 'Henny.' - And Mikey is already a nick name, lol - man those boys pile on the monikers, huh!

• Like 1

Need to think more on nicknames... :)  I initially thought for ones to use at school in public that would show affection without drawing attention, but I sort of like the idea for ones to use in private.  Too much cuteness?  I've never really liked the overdone use of 'babe' even among straight people.

I'm sort of bummed because no one seemed to notice a fun bit I liked a lot: when Miles sees the leather tack and assumes it's for kinky stuff when Jay says they're gonna play horsey...and Jay says he has a dirty mind.  Guess it was too lame. :(

Edited by ColumbusGuy

Well, I just agreed with Jay that Miles had a surprisingly dirty mind - or maybe kinky is the right word. But I did wonder if Jay played that joke on Miles on purpose - in which case both boys are equally naughty. :lol:

Edit: You're not the only one to be disappointed / surprised at what readers do and do not notice. Which is why I was delighted to see the review where you said you had liked the carrot joke too.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

On the term 'bitch,' as I PM'd you, your usage is the modern one - meaning an irritable woman in general. 

From what I remember in the 70's bitch was only ever used to refer to a promiscuous woman, and I doubt Jay mean to call his sister a slut in one of the earlier chapters, but maybe he did. ;)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

Given what we've seen of Jay's personality, it wouldn't surprise me if he planned the joke just like that--he's known to tease Mikey--but I'll bet it made his day whether it was planned out completely or not.  He certainly loves to see Mikey blush, and is happy to see him opening up more.

• Like 1

I'm torn AC, because I want to keep it original in language--I'm going to alter the bitch phrase where it appears into someting else...got about five choices so far, none quite as useful as the 'bitch', but our slang in farmland was a bit behind other places; one word which is supposedly period is 'skank', which is surprising.  My slang is outdated now, as it was then--we were using words common in the 60s and 50s still! :)

• Like 1

On the term 'bitch,' as I PM'd you, your usage is the modern one - meaning an irritable woman in general. 

From what I remember in the 70's bitch was only ever used to refer to a promiscuous woman, and I doubt Jay mean to call his sister a slut in one of the earlier chapters, but maybe he did. ;)

Maybe it is because we live in different countries but I have never heard of the word "bitch" used to describe a promiscuous woman...It has always had the same meaning to me as it does now. I still remember my wonderful aunt referring to her daughter Karen, as a bitch...because she was always so miserable and cantankerous. My aunt had seven kids and they all referred to Karen in that way...and that was in the late sixties. Now if you called a woman an old bag...that was like calling them a slut....just saying...cheers

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 2

Maybe it is because we live in different countries but I have never heard of the word "bitch" used to describe a promiscuous woman...It has always had the same meaning to me as it does now. I still remember my wonderful aunt referring to her daughter Karen, as a bitch...because she was always so miserable and cantankerous. My aunt had seven kids and they all referred to Karen in that way...and that was in the late sixties. Now if you called a woman an old bag...that was like calling them a slut....just saying...cheers

The famous, or rather notorious, mid 1970's Saturday Night Live sketch where Dan Aykroyd would called Jane Curtain "an ignorant slut" was the censor-allowed substitute for his original text: "Jane, you ignorant bitch." And he's Canadian!

This whole thing was a very minor and discreetly mentioned item to CoulmbusGuy in a private message - I wish he wouldn't have taken it public without asking me first. This is not something I wish to discuss...in public  :unsure:     

• Like 2

The famous, or rather notorious, mid 1970's Saturday Night Live sketch where Dan Aykroyd would called Jane Curtain "an ignorant slut" was the censor-allowed substitute for his original text: "Jane, you ignorant bitch." And he's Canadian!

This whole thing was a very minor and discreetly mentioned item to CoulmbusGuy in a private message - I wish he wouldn't have taken it public without asking me first. This is not something I wish to discuss...in public  :unsure:     

I remember that sketch!! I loved the original cast of that show...I tried to never miss it on Saturday nights!!! Gilda was so freakin funny...her death still saddens me...

I think in the context of that sketch....bitch was considered a swear word and slut wasn't...IMHO

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 1

Sorry Tim, AC is right--before he mentions it here, I'd already brought it up in his review of Chapter 12, saying I'd correct it, and we talked about it around 11AM...we had been talking about an error I'd missed which my speller might have flagged, but I didn't catch due to the faintness of Docs' error underlining.  With it being part of that whole language and usage thing, I didn't think it was a sensitive topic.

I am truly sorry AC, I wouldn't knowingly cause you distress, and not to anyone else either.  The glaring error when Linda calls the boys that term has been fixed, and I'll hunt down the other uses now.

Alas, I've already caused one of my good friends discomfort, and I can't take that back much as I wish I could.

New topic please!  I have so far, linked all the songs and the 'Sock It To Me' reference to videos, hope everyone likes them...just remember to click the songs so that they play in another window so you can keep reading!  :)

At the time, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In was a big hit, and Nixon's advisors suggested he try it...some say it helped him get the young voters on his side.  Hubert Humphrey, the Democrat, was invited and refused...He lost big.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I loved this chapter, but you are such a tease. :lol: How long can you hold out on us, before the boys get intimate? They are certainly primed and ready to go !

Now that Jay know Mikey isn't scared of doing it, but rather scared of not being able to stop, I think the odds just got stacked in favor of an earlier 'session'.  Both boys have had their 'Kurt' moments, but they want it to be more than that for their first time...Jay is good at wooing, so it's likely a matter of logistics for a good place for it to happen.

Anybody got info on drive-in theaters?  I figure opening depends on weather, and stuff...a regular movie ticked back in '76 was $2.15, would a drive-in be more or less?  An old friend in my home town said she remembers $5.00 per car, but can only think it was in the 70s.  I went a few times with family but didn't think about the price then. :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Working on chapter 15 now...going to be an interesting ride. :)

Our boys will be spending their first night together, there'll be some family discussions, and Jay will meet Miles' mom on Sunday.

As for 14, I assure you all that the 'pot' is not going to be a major player, it is just an indicator of the times--it was readily available, fairly cheap, and most teens thought their parents' hangups were hilarious.    As a point of fact, check out the Anti-Pot film link at the end...it was hoped that such a film would 'reach' the kids, and that they'd 'dig' the way the message was presented thus diminishing the urge to try it.  I had never seen this film until recently, but I would have laughed my ass off back then seeing it, as would every single one of my classmates.  LSD was the more 'out there' drug which gave us pause....

Tim may not be in suspense much longer-- :)

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, the guys had some fun in 15, but I don't think it turned out like people thought it would: a lot of discussion went on as to how the 'finish' should be a surprise event which brings them closer together, but I sort of derailed that by the gift scene in the kitchen, where the boys pretty much committed themselves; I thought that would be about all Mikey needed to 'loosen up' and 'let it all hang out'...and I hope you weren't too disappointed that it was a more deliberate act on their part than an 'accident'.

I hope I wasn't wrong in having Mikey seeming to take charge because it show just how eager he is and perhaps the last of his reserve is gone...Jay's program of 'breaking down his wall' is complete I think. It shows the trust issue for Mikey is resolved by having him start things off...and that's what Jay had hoped for--a healed Mikey.  The acceptance of Dirck and Rosalie played a great part in that, now we have to see if Mikey can 'stay the course'.

The meeting with M's mom is coming up, and school again the day after that...my concern is whether the boys inform Kurt, and also if they can keep their cover. 

The other night, Gary and I, while fixing 15, speculated about dong a second book--I thought having it be about the summer followed by Senior Year...Gary suggested Senior Year with flashbacks to the summer.  That would save me having to research farming time-tables, but I'm gonna have to do some of that anyhow, like I already did on cows and horses.  My experience is with an acre-sized veggie garden rather than a full farm, though that was in my family until my Uncle Edgar gave it up in the 80s. A 140 year tradition is probably now carried on by distant cousins I've never met, but I remember visiting aunts and uncles farms as a younger kid and teen...even seeing the house pictured as Jay's, which my great-grandfather built!  His father was the first to immigrate from Germany, and in 1880 was written up in their county history as having the best farm in the county, properly ditched, fenced and most productive general stock farm...it was about 155 acres.  From my father, I learned it was all done with horse-teams back in his time, and at the end of the season a man would come around to all the local farms with his steam thresher to help the harvest of everyone's crops.

Sorry, long digressions are a hazard with me! Anyway--what do you think of a sequel when this part is over? I have scenes in my head of college decisions, ones where other family members show up...and maybe events at college for our two.

Suggestions or ideas on anything are welcome! 

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 3

I guess there's going to be a sequel after all...now just have to figure where this one ends...I want to show at least part of their summer before it gets turned into flashbacks for the next bit. :)

Suggestions for titles? Jay & Miles II seems a bit boring to me--Jay & Miles: Senior Year?  The Return of J & M?  The Danish Connection?

Now I'm just being silly...maybe I should figure out some plot...but why start now, when I don't do it for this book until I write the chapter?

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2

Chapter 16 is in the works, and I'm hoping to post it late today or tomorrow. it is the dreaded morning after of a first sexual encounter.  Will our boys feel any different?  Will it draw them even closer together?

Coming up sometime on this late April Sunday is the visit Jay must have with Mikey's mom as the payment for being allowed to have a sleepover with her only son.  Can the boys maintain the appearance of just being friends, or will they give something away?  Will their worries be what causes a careless moment?

Monday comes school again with its own set of worries, and seeing Kurt at lunch--do they tell him of their new bond, or will he spot it on his own?  What will he think when he finds out--was his brush against Mikey's chest at lunch more than a harmless flirtation?

About a month and a half away is Graduation for Linda, and the gathering of relatives--most importantly Uncle Mikkel and his partner Sam, and perhaps Jay's older brother Jerry--or Gejr to use his proper name.

Interesting times ahead before Summer comes with its increased farm chores, and the chance of long hours for our boys to be together.

• Like 1

More than I probably expect, not that I've planned any out--but I seem to have trouble getting all the stuff I want into one, so that leads to another one...and another one. :)

Do you plan out each chapter, and stick to it?  I have a feeling my method of letting the story write itself is unorthodox...I haven't written an outline since school term papers in college.

I just set Gary a task to tell me about Mikkel's boyfriend 'Sam' since I don't know anything about him beyond the first name and that I want him to be Canadian. :)  Anyone want to take on Mikkel before he appears?  I'm picturing blondish-red hair and blue eyes, built similar to his older brother Dirck: tall and muscular from work rather than gyms. Maybe a writer or teacher, living in or near Toronto. His life and occupation are up for grabs--Dirck is 46, so I'd guess Mikkel to be 43 or less.

• Like 2

Coming up in Chapter 17, which is the afternoon following the Sleepover at Jay's, there is a very special moment which Tim, responding to my request for a simple translation, has turned into a very beautiful occasion.  Always going above and beyond, Tim has once again confirmed what a beautiful person hie is.

Here are two links he's provided me for this occasion:

http://www.dendanske...ne.dk/salme/703

http://www.grundtvig...road-ahead.html

• Like 3

Here are two links he's provided me for this occasion:

http://www.dendanske...ne.dk/salme/703

http://www.grundtvig...road-ahead.html

awww, thanks CG, I'm so glad you liked my suggestion.

I just wanted to add that the melody can be heard in the first link

http://www.dendanskesalmebogonline.dk/salme/703

if you click on the the words Hør melodien in the purple box on the left.

• Like 2